Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't really fancy myself as a writer, but this seemed the most appropriate section to tell the story. So here it is:

I would like to tell you a true story of something that happened recently to my Wife. The purpose is for entertainment, although - depending on your viewpoint - it could represent something greater, to the glory of God.

It was around the middle of June when my Wife first became aware that a pair of gulls had built a nest on the chimney stack of a neighbour's roof. She believed that they were already in the process of incubating the eggs, but from our viewpoint, there was no way to tell how many. Even to get a decent view of the birds and nest required using binoculars, as it was located some 50 metres away.

Being the animal lover that she is, she immediately started observing the gulls and their nest everyday. She noticed how the pair would take turns at guarding the nest and looking for food. She watched how the birds would brave the elements of wind and rain on that exposed rooftop. She started researching all about them telling me about how a pair will mate for life, and that the incubation period is around 30 days.

I must admit, I didn't really share her enthusiasm at first. Gulls can be a real problem inland where we live, not least because of the mess they make with their droppings. Some have been known to be aggressive; snatching food from people's hands!

I was not very keen when she decided she wanted to provide some food for the nesting gulls, as I didn't want to encourage the other gulls swooping into our back garden. Once they know you're providing a source of food, they tend to hang around, causing mess and noise.

The compromise was that she started signalling to the nesting pair to come and get the food! She would wait nearby as a distraction, in case any others tried to swoop in. They seemed to catch on quickly; being intelligent birds.

The day came when I heard a shriek of enthusiasm as she exclaimed "There's a chick!". I came through to the room from which we had been observing, lifted the binoculars and witnessed the marvellous new born creation. I must admit, I do feel happiness when I see any new life. "But there's only one...", she said.

We watched the chick grow quickly over the course of days, whilst wondering if any more would emerge. After about a week, it seemed clear this would be the only one. Over the next few days we both noticed how it had almost doubled in size. We commented about it's fluffy little coat, it's funny little movements. We watched as it rested it's eyes and took shelter under one of it's parents.

It was at the end of a normal working day, as I was relaxing in the chair, that I heard her cry "Oh No!". I rushed through to the room, not knowing what had happened. She said "It's the chick... it's dead!" I looked up and saw it's form hanging lifeless.
"I'm sorry darling", I said to my Wife as sensitively as I could, "they don't always make it". She was upset; more so than I. We both discussed how it could have happened, as it had looked healthy and strong, and usually this sort of thing would happen in the first few days. We ran through the possibilities, but in the end we just didn't know.

She was upset for days afterwards, even tearful at points. This had really affected her. We talked about her feelings, and she admitted it was silly to be getting so emotional about it. But there was something more to her encounter with that bird. Something she couldn't put into words. Perhaps it was as a beacon of hope; now lost.

It was a day when she was at work that the strange thing happened. Being a nice sunny day, she'd left the door open and was getting on with things. She'd been telling her colleague about what had happened to the little chick only moments previously, when she turned around and saw a seagull chick right in the middle of the room! It looked straight at her and gave out a single "Peep!".
She tried to approach the bird in a friendly, gentle manner; but being a wild bird, it started to retreat; slowly. It wasn't afraid. Before it went back out through the door, it looked over it's shoulder at her, then left.
She watched as it crossed the road to join it's family on the other side.

As I was writing this story, I wanted to check some details with her, and also to ask her blessing to let me tell it here. She told me something today that she hadn't already, because she thought it was silly. She told me that on the day previous to her experience at her workplace, she'd found a tract with Psalm 23 printed on it.
She'd read it in memory of the baby seagull.

Mere coincidence? Or something more. I'll let the reader decide.

Last edited:
Reactions: jacks