The state of modern day Christianity is sad.

S

someguy14

Christians these days are getting caught up in the crisis of religion. Forgoing their liberty in Christ, and trading it in for man made chains and rules. A sad truth when observing the nature of the modern day church.

For some reason, it's all about what we can do to appear good for our fellow man, not what God did for us so we can be with Him for an eternity.

It's sad when we are taught to follow man made tradition and rules, and are so consumed with it that we forget why we are truly here: to love God, to worship God, love our fellow man, and to spread His love so others may come to know our Savior.

If it isn't in the Bible, it's an opinion. What did Christ call the Pharisees? Blind. He knew them not, and they knew not Him.

God is Love.

It is in The Holy Bible(The Book). Some reject it, though God is faithful. The laws of God are eternal. God is all wisdom.

Upvote 0
S

someguy14

Agree with most of the above comments. There ARE aspects of certain parts of christianity (and I'm not just talking about the extremists) that rely too much on the law.

Reject Gods law and reject God. :)

Killing, stealing and adultry is against God. God is perfect. Gods law is eternal. Accept it or reject it God. :)

Upvote 0

Reanbell

Dec 24, 2012
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
I guess that depends on your denomination. We love out current church. It has its fair share of issues. The pastor himself believes differently then we do about the tribulation. But it doesn't mean we submit to his view of it. If anything he tells anyone if they disagree with him he wants to know because as a pastor it doesn't mean hes always right. Hes as human as the rest of us.

I used to be angry about going to church because I got tired of the clicks and back stabbing by a few members. Which is what my mom did. She found something to complain about every church we went to (we tried like 30 churches in my lifetime). I realized after awhile she is so obsessed with finding the perfect church that she forgot the point of going to church. You will never find a perfect church. Its just something we have to accept. I've accepted it and feel much better because when I go I feel so much better. It quenches my thirst.

Now, do we have to go to a church? Well thats up to people to decide on. But you have to ask, without going to church what are we missing on? We are missing on praising God, singing to Him, outreach, helping local people, missionary work...etc. So having a building does have a purpose.

I'd only go to a church if they were teaching good theology, and that is very hard, almost impossible, to find. The churches Chris described are perfect examples of ones I'd avoid.

Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There are our "churches" and there is "THE Church". I belong to both. The first, a convention of man, allows a knowledgeable pastor to share The Word in the inspired manner God has provided and allows for fellowship in our local area. The second is the universal church of believers in the Gospel, ALL of the Gospel, including Genesis. Often I will turn to others I have met in the universal church for prayer. Just this week I had some fellow Christians living far away praying for our family and I saw that prayer answered! And I pray for our local fellowship daily and don't worry too much about its flaws (and yes it has some flaws cause it is made up of less than perfect people like myself). If you are frustrated with your local church, try finding some folks to have fellowship with outside that church, but also continue to support and pray for that local church. Pray through it all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TheyCallMeDave

At your service....
Jun 19, 2012
Northern Florida
✟11,541.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The op and all the junk he mentioned that goes on in modern churches is one of the main reasons I don't go to church anymore. I got tired of the legalistic bullcrap that went on everywhere.

God doesnt want us to be Lone Rangers, for, he says 'Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves as some are accustomed to doing' . The corporate Church Body is very important to be in for your growth and to encourage others and so they can encourage you. If youve found a couple of toxic churches, then you dont give up and violate Gods Word for your life...instead...you find one that IS reasonably healthy but bearing in mind that youre dealing with fallable human beings as you and I are. If you need some help in finding a well balanced local church then to here and ask because they offer this service : www.equip.org (Christian Research Institute) . If you stay on your own, the fire is going to go out or barely simmer.

Upvote 0

Reanbell

Dec 24, 2012
✟331.00
Faith
Christian
God doesnt want us to be Lone Rangers, for, he says 'Do not forsake the gathering of yourselves as some are accustomed to doing' . The corporate Church Body is very important to be in for your growth and to encourage others and so they can encourage you. If youve found a couple of toxic churches, then you dont give up and violate Gods Word for your life...instead...you find one that IS reasonably healthy but bearing in mind that youre dealing with fallable human beings as you and I are. If you need some help in finding a well balanced local church then to here and ask because they offer this service : www.equip.org (Christian Research Institute) . If you stay on your own, the fire is going to go out or barely simmer.

I can't think of any churches that don't teach lies, calling it truth. Or else they are legalistic or doom and gloom churches. No thanks.

Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Amen! Support a church and pray for the church - they need this. Then, do your part in living out your Great Commission role in the universal church, spreading the Good News to your family, coworkers, friends, and even strangers. As Christians we need to do all of this.

Upvote 0

BloodBoughtChad

Justified
Jan 19, 2011
Southern California
Visit site
✟7,641.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Christians these days are getting caught up in the crisis of religion. Forgoing their liberty in Christ, and trading it in for man made chains and rules. A sad truth when observing the nature of the modern day church.

For some reason, it's all about what we can do to appear good for our fellow man, not what God did for us so we can be with Him for an eternity.

It's sad when we are taught to follow man made tradition and rules, and are so consumed with it that we forget why we are truly here: to love God, to worship God, love our fellow man, and to spread His love so others may come to know our Savior.

If it isn't in the Bible, it's an opinion. What did Christ call the Pharisees? Blind. He knew them not, and they knew not Him.

Agreed!

Upvote 0
C

Caesars Ghost

I haven't settled on a church as yet in my area. However, when I do choose to go to one to see how it feels and what the teachings are about, I dress very conservatively.

A new friend I met at work has a sister who has just opened a multicultural women's apparel shop not far from my house.
I purchased two gorgeous Abayas for the occasion of going to church. I even elect to wear hijab now and then.
For me it's a matter of respect, conservative values, and modesty. I have to admit I love how it feels to be obscured in that way and for the special occasion of traveling to worship.
Those churches that aren't that far I walk to. Not hearing cat calls and obscene screams out passing car windows is refreshing.

I do find it a bit concerning though when I read the NT and Jesus teachings about the Law. And then read that certain aspects are still in force.
I wonder how much we can accommodate what's expected if we are to go the Law route when it is the 21st century now. And so much has changed in society since Jesus time. How can we conform to the old while living in the modern?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

anglozaxon

Oct 24, 2012
✟15,736.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It troubles me that there are far too many people ready to throw stones at the church. These are your brothers and sisters in Christ. There are many churches with their various different little querks, and sure some will have problems, but most are sincere and genuinely trying, why not give them a chance? Be a part of a solution within the church.
The church is described as a body and each member has his/her role to play, it just amazes me that so many people choose to play the role of appendix.

Upvote 0

Peripatetic

Restless mind, peaceful soul.
Feb 28, 2010
✟22,095.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be confusing man made law and Gods law. The two are not the same.

I'm curious... how many churches from other denominations have you attended? There are thousands of churches teaching sound biblical doctrine and millions of believers going about their lives without legalism. They are the quiet majority.

Based on posts in other threads, I see that you are disillusioned about restrictions in one specific area much more than the others. If you are truly convicted that you can have more freedom in that area, then find a church that matches your convictions. Trying to paint Christianity with one brush stroke is what the secularists do... we shouldn't fuel their fire.

Reactions: anglozaxon
Upvote 0

MZS

May 18, 2009
✟15,214.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It troubles me that there are far too many people ready to throw stones at the church. These are your brothers and sisters in Christ. There are many churches with their various different little querks, and sure some will have problems, but most are sincere and genuinely trying, why not give them a chance? Be a part of a solution within the church.
The church is described as a body and each member has his/her role to play, it just amazes me that so many people choose to play the role of appendix.

Amen!
And just cause you regularly attend a church in no way restricts your ability to witness to others, pray, and teach your kids (if you have any) the scriptures. There is SO much we are called to do besides attend church. I find that the teaching I receive in church helps me in doing all these out-of-church things. I live out in the boondocks and I have 3 good bible-based churches to choose from. People in a medium to large city probably have 10 to 30 to choose from.

Upvote 0