The spirit of the law and the new covenant...

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Ten Commandments on stone are hard and cold. They themselves define godly love but they don't produce godly love. You could keep everyone of them and still not love God or neighbor. You can keep the seventh commandment to the letter and yet be a sexual pervert in your mind and be far from God. You could honor the fourth commandment to the letter and still have no love and compassion for others. Jesus taught us how to keep the spirit of the Law, which is love. True love will strive to keep the mind and body from sexual immorality. True love will show compassion and servanthood even on the Sabbath. This is what Jesus taught.

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
The Ten Commandments on stone are hard and cold. They themselves define godly love but they don't produce godly love. You could keep everyone of them and still not love God or neighbor. You can keep the seventh commandment to the letter and yet be a sexual pervert in your mind and be far from God. You could honor the fourth commandment to the letter and still have no love and compassion for others. Jesus taught us how to keep the spirit of the Law, which is love. True love will strive to keep the mind and body from sexual immorality. True love will show compassion and servanthood even on the Sabbath. This is what Jesus taught.
Yea; well, you are taking things too far. "True love" is reflected in the ten Commandments. God's law, therein, is a transcript of His character. And the Bible says two things about this:

1) "God is love" (1 John 4:8)

2) "Love never fails..." (1 Cor 13:8)

"The spirit of the law" does not just get spun out of thin air because we want to claim to have it. "the spirit of the law" is also defined, and melded into the ten commandments. God's Word has the power to create and to do and to form the thing that it says; and if His law says "thou shalt not steal;" then this is also a promise that He will give us 'the power to become sons and daughters of God;" and to NOT STEAL.

It is the same for all ten commandments. Each commandment is a promise. Each commandment depicts some aspect of God's character. And as we have seen, God is love, and love NEVER fails.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yea; well, you are taking things too far. "True love" is reflected in the ten Commandments. God's law, therein, is a transcript of His character. And the Bible says two things about this:

1) "God is love" (1 John 4:8)

2) "Love never fails..." (1 Cor 13:8)

"The spirit of the law" does not just get spun out of thin air because we want to claim to have it. "the spirit of the law" is also defined, and melded into the ten commandments. God's Word has the power to create and to do and to form the thing that it says; and if His law says "thou shalt not steal;" then this is also a promise that He will give us 'the power to become sons and daughters of God;" and to NOT STEAL.

It is the same for all ten commandments. Each commandment is a promise. Each commandment depicts some aspect of God's character. And as we have seen, God is love, and love NEVER fails.

This sounds good on paper but the Law on stone defines both sides of God's character which is love and righteous. The Law can't produce love nor can it make someone righteousness. You could be righteous but unloving. You could keep the Sabbath to the letter which could produce a unloving spirit in you such as not healing a sick person because it's the Sabbath. Understanding this is not taking things too far, it's called maturing in the faith.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
This sounds good on paper but the Law on stone defines both sides of God's character which is love and righteous. The Law can't produce love nor can it make someone righteousness. You could be righteous but unloving.

Understanding this is not taking things too far, it's called maturing in the faith.
It is impossible to be "righteous" and at the same time "unloving." "for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14)

Where is the Bible text which says God's character has two sides?

What you call "maturing in the faith" here is not Biblical.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is impossible to be "righteous" and at the same time "unloving." "for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14)

Where is the Bible text which says God's character has two sides?

What you call "maturing in the faith" here is not Biblical.

If I said the sky was blue you would refute it. If I said the water is wet you would refute it. You just like to refute for the sake of refuting.

Upvote 0

Castaway57

Born Twice
Mar 29, 2012
✟18,579.00
Country
Canada
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Private
In other words, answer the question.
You are not the boss till you cough up the pay check :)

attachment.php

In my next post here; I will briefly address the "spirit of the law;" and provide detailed scripture reference for that for those who are interested.

Attachments

• way out.jpg
    way out.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

taikachanz

God's Word Stands Alone
Feb 20, 2011
✟7,788.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Before making the statements concerning the Law you need to understand what the “New Covenant” entails. Obviously from your initial post you don’t quite understand what the “New Covenant” is so. Let’s look into that and to whom it was promised.

First to understand the new we must understand the old and which covenant are we talking about for God made many covenants prior to the “New”.

The first covenant God made was to Noah, Gen. 6:18 “But with thee will I establish my covenant; and thou shalt come into the ark, thou, and thy sons, and thy wife, and thy sons’ wives with thee.” The covenant was the promise to protect them through the flood after he, Noah, had built the ark. Notice this is a two fold agreement, “you build the ark, I will protect you.” All covenants are two fold, each party has a part to play else the covenant is violated and becomes void.

Upon completion of this covenant, after the flood, God makes yet another covenant with Noah, which extends to ALL Noah’s offspring and everything that was in the ark with Noah. Gen. 9:9 “And behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you; and with every living creature that … with you, of the foul, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth. And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there be any more a flood to destroy the earth.” As a token of this covenant God place a rainbow in the sky and every time it is viewed after it rains it is there to remind us of this covenant made to our ancestral father: Verse 16-17 “And the (rain)bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that … upon the earth. And God said unto Noah, This … the token of the covenant, which I have established between me, and all flesh that … upon the earth.” This covenant is an everlasting covenant, it will not and can not be broken either by God or any other party to the covenant.

Now the one covenant that is most recognized and accepted is that of the one may by God to Abram: Gen. 15:18 “In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates;”. Read the preceding verses to understand the process in which this covenant was made. For Abrams part, he was to remain faithful to the Lord in all things for the covenant to remain valid, even to the sacrificing of his own son, Isaac, as commanded by God. In chapter 17 this same covenant is reemphasized.

Now let us look at how God remembered this covenant with Abram (Abraham):
Exodus 2:24 “And God heard their groaning, and God remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac, and with Jacob.” We see in this verse that not only was the covenant made with Abraham but that it was also extended to his son and his grandson, as was promised in the original covenant with Abraham. And now God is remembering that covenantal promise generations later when Israel is in slavery to the Egyptians. See now who that very same covenant now belongs: Exodus 6:4-5 “And I have also established my covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, wherein they were strangers. And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.” This covenant was passed down from generation to generation continued to those that were in captivity (slavery). That covenant was accomplished and completed when Moses lead the people out of Egypt and into the Land of Canaan, after they rebelled several times to whit God could have nullified the covenant but didn’t. A “new covenant” was made with the Israelites at Marah with God: Exodus 15:25-26 “And he cried unto the Lord; and the Lord shewed him a tree, … when he had cast into the waters, the waters were made sweet: there he made for them a stature and an ordinance, and there he proved them. And said, if thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord thy God, and wilt do that which is right inn his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I … the Lord that healeth thee.” Exodus 19:5-9 “No therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth … mine: and ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These … the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Isreal. And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the Lord commanded him. And all the people answered together and said, all that the Lord hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the Lord.” Thus was a new covenant made between God and the descendents of Abraham. The following chapters recount the exact nature of the covenant with all its provisions, ordinances and statutes and how the Israelites failed from the beginning but God, in his mercy, continued to honor his part.

The main part of God’s covenant requirements are found within his Laws which were given first after which were given the sacrificial and festal requirements.

So what is contained within the “New Covenant”? Are we now free from the Law and allowed now only to live by the law of love? To understand what is contained within the “New Covenant” we must read Ezekiel 16:60 “Nevertheless I will remember my covenant with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant.” Here we see that the new covenant will be an everlasting covenant just as the covenant God made with Noah, his offspring and all the creatures of the world after the flood. It is to be a covenant of peace: Ezekiel 34: 20-25 “Therefore thus saith the Lord God unto them; behold I, … I, will judge between the fat cattle and between the lean cattle. Because ye have thrust with side and with shoulder, and pushed all the diseased with your horns, till ye have scattered them abroad; Therefore will I save my flock and they shall no more be a prey; and I will judge between cattle and cattle. And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them … my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. And I the Lord will be their God, and my servant David a prince among them; I the Lord have spoken … And I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause the evil beasts to cease out of the land: and they shall dwell safely in the wilderness, and sleep in the woods.”

Ezekiel 37:26 “Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.” It is an everlasting covenant of peace; and where is this covenant to be written and what is to be written there?

Jeremiah 31:31-34 “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day … I took them by the hand to bring them out of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the Lord: But this … … the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. And they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying know the Lord: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the Lord, for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

It is a covenant by which we learn to not only love the Lord but to fear the Lord.

Jeremiah 32:40 “And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from them, to do them good; but I will put my fear in their hearts, that they shall not depart from me.”

End Part 1

Upvote 0

taikachanz

God's Word Stands Alone
Feb 20, 2011
✟7,788.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Part 2

It is a pardoning covenant available to all nations.

Isaiah 55:3-7 “Incline your ear, and come unto me: hear, and your soul shall live; and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, … the sure mercies of David. Behold, I have given him … a witness to the people, a leader and commander to the people. Behold, thou shalt call a nation … thou knowest not, and nations … knew not thee shall run unto thee because of the Lord thy God, and for the Holy One of Israel; for he hat glorified thee. Seek ye the Lord wile he may be found, call ye upon him wile he is near; Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the Lord, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our god, for he will abundantly pardon.”

This covenant is for all, not just literal Israel.

Isaiah 56:4-7 “For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my Sabbaths, and choose … … that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my wall a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be his servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of my covenant. Even them will I bring to my Holy Mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices … … accepted upon mine alter; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people.”

The “New Covenant” is to be a blessing and it will cause all to acknowledge those who abide in the “New Covenant”.

Isaiah 61:8-9 “For I the Lord love judgment, I hate robbery for burnt offerings; and I will direct their work in truth, and I will make an everlasting covenant with them. And their seed shall be known among the gentiles, and their offspring among the people; all that see them shall acknowledge them, that they … the seed … the Lord hath blessed.”

The promise of a “New Covenant” is fulfilled in the Testament through Christ our Lord.

Hebrews 8:6-10 “But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. For if the first … had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. For this … the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people; and they shall not teach every man his brother, saying know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.”

And again, as the Holy Ghost also is a witness.

Hebrews 10:16 “This … the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them; and their sins and iniquities will I remember no more.”

A warning is given to those who would violate and count as unholy the “New Covenant”.

Hebrews 10:26-31 “For if we sin willfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for the sins, but a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries. He that despised Moses’ law died without mercy under two or three witnesses: of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shell he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, and unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, vengeance … unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. … … a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

These scripture reveal the true nature of the “New Covenant” but also consider further the following and ask yourself, if all the “New Covenant” entails is love the would you do the following:

• Bring dishonor to your parents? NO
  • Murder someone? NO
  • Be unfaithful to your wife through adultery? NO
  • Steal something from someone? NO
  • Make false accusations against a neighbor? NO
  • Strongly desire to posses your neighbor’s goods, or wife, or maid or man servant? NO, NO, NO, NO!!!

These are all contained in the Law of God which was written is stone and of which Jesus said we were to keep. In addition to this, to further show our love of our neighbor’s and strangers alike, we are to give them what they need as needed, especially if they ask, not withholding anything.

Matthew 5:38-48 “Ye have heard that it hath been said, an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth: but I say unto you, that ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have … cloak also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away. Ye have heard that it hath been said, thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; that ye may be the children of your father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? Do not even the publicans the same? And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more … …? Do not even the publicans so? Be ye therefore perfect, even as your father which is in heaven is perfect.”

In response to the rich young ruler concerning gaining eternal life Jesus responds:

Matthew 19:17-21 “And he said unto him, why callest thou me good? … … none good but one, … …, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. And he saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, thou shalt do no murder, thou shalt not commit adultery, thou shalt not steal, thou shalt not bear false witness, honor thy father and … mother: and, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. The young man saith unto him, all these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? Jesus said unto him, if thou wilt be perfect, go … sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come … follow me.”

Had Christ intended that the Law be abolished or changed in anyway this would have been a perfect time to do so, but he did not because it is embedded within the “New Covenant”.

Stronger evidence is found here:

Matthew 22:36-40 “Master, which … the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second … like unto it, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.”

Review the writings of the prophets, you will find that most of their prophecies were concerned with the violations of the Law committed by the Israelites and the house of Judah. Many people believe that this is the first time these laws were spoken and that they are the laws that are contained within the “New Covenant” thus it is a covenant of love. But this is not the first time these word were spoken as we see in:

Leviticus 19:18 “Thou shalt not avenge, nor bear any grudge against the children of thy people, but thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself: I … the Lord.”

This love is to extend to the stranger:

Leviticus 19:34 “… the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I … the Lord your God.”

As to the Greatest Commandment, which is to Love the Lord our God, the first 4 commandment cover this as well, and we can also see that this was spoken long before Christ spoke it in referenced verses above:

Deuteronomy 6:5 “And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.”

So when Jesus spoke these words he was actually quoting what was spoken to Moses centuries before. And they remain valid today and they refer back to the Commandments, the Law, of God.

As to the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, you cannot keep the spirit of the law without adhering to the letter of the law. You can not say in your heart, “Oh, I love the Lord” and not follow his commandments.

1 John 2:3-6 “And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepth not his commandments, is a lair, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him. He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also to walk, even as he walked.”

Read all three of John’s epistles to gain a greater understanding of what this means.

Jesus even said it himself:

John 14:15 “If you love me, keep my commandments.”

This is plan truth, it is simple to understand. God’s Law is part of the New Covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums