Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Video Talk

1 Timothy 6:3-7 ESV

“If anyone teaches a different doctrine and does not agree with the sound words of our Lord Jesus Christ and the teaching that accords with godliness, he is puffed up with conceit and understands nothing. He has an unhealthy craving for controversy and for quarrels about words, which produce envy, dissension, slander, evil suspicions, and constant friction among people who are depraved in mind and deprived of the truth, imagining that godliness is a means of gain. But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world."

So, what are the sound words of Jesus Christ? There are many, but three examples came to my mind. And I am going to paraphrase some of these so please look them up and read what they say in their fulness.

Jesus said that if anyone would come after him, he must deny self, take up his cross daily (daily die to sin and to self) and follow (obey) him. For if we hold on to our old lives of living in sin and for self, we will lose them for eternity. But if for the sake of Jesus we die with him to sin and live to him and to his righteousness, then we have eternal life in him. For if we are ashamed of Jesus and his words in this life he is going to be ashamed of us when he returns and we won’t go to be with him for eternity (Luke 9:23-26).

Jesus said that not everyone who says to him, “Lord, Lord,” is going to enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one DOING the will of God the Father. For many are going to stand before him on that day, calling him “Lord,” and proclaiming the things they believed they did in his name, and he is going to say to them, “I never knew you. Depart from me you workers of lawlessness,” because they did not obey the Lord (Matthew 7:21-23).

The words of Jesus in this passage I believe are to be taken more figuratively, rather than literally. For he said that unless we eat of his flesh and drink of his blood we have no part in him and we will not inherit eternal life in him. Well, Jesus’ body and his blood represent his death for us on that cross, and to eat and to drink is to partake of. So, in essence, what this is saying is that unless we partake in his death and resurrection, i.e. in dying with him to sin and being raised to walk in newness of life in him, then we have no part in him, and we don’t have eternal life with God (John 6:35-58).

And this agrees with the two previous passages and with many others throughout the New Testament Scriptures. So these three passages and many others, which I will note, agree with sound doctrine and the teaching which accords with godliness. But those who are teaching we can believe in Jesus once and now our sins are forgiven and heaven is guaranteed us when we die, regardless of how we live, are teaching lies. For if sin is our practice, and if righteousness and obedience to our Lord are not what we practice, then the Scriptures teach that we will not have eternal life with God.

[Matt 7:21-23; Matt 24:9-14; Lu 9:23-26; Rom 1:18-32; Rom 2:6-8; Rom 6:1-23; Rom 8:1-14,24; Rom 12:1-2; Rom 13:11; 1 Co 6:9-10,19-20; 2 Co 5:10,15,21; 1 Co 1:18; 1 Co 15:1-2; 2 Tim 1:8-9; Heb 9:28; 1 Pet 1:5; Gal 5:16-21; Gal 6:7-8; Eph 2:8-10; Eph 4:17-32; Eph 5:3-6; Col 1:21-23; Col 3:5-17; 1 Pet 2:24; Tit 2:11-14; 1 Jn 1:5-9; 1 Jn 2:3-6,24-25; 1 Jn 3:4-10; Heb 3:6,14-15; Heb 10:23-31; Heb 12:1-2; Rev 21:8,27; Rev 22:14-15]

Pray, Pray, Pray

An Original Work / September 6, 2012
Based off Various Scriptures

Pray that eyes may enlightened be,
So they may know Christ.
Pray that they may Him better know,
Strengthened by His pow’r.
Pray that they may grasp
How wide and long
And high and deep
Is Christ’s love.
Pray that they may be filled