Darwin
✟198,262.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Have you considered that St. John, the author of Revelations may have been there.

What did John see in his dream? What was the first thing that John says after he greats the Churches he is speaking to?

Rev 1:7 Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they [also] which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

Was John not alive at the time? ...and he sees what?

Forgive me...

Interesting point Orthodoxy. I never thought about it like that. Not sure if it is what Christ meant but it is still very interesting. Thanks.

your forgiven :)

peace

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Interesting point Orthodoxy. I never thought about it like that. Not sure if it is what Christ meant but it is still very interesting. Thanks.

your forgiven :)

peace

Any Theophany would do to satisfy the need of seeing Christ coming in his Glory. Every time the Apostles got a look into Eternity they witnessed this.

Mount Tabor

The Baptism of our Lord

Or St. John's dream.

Forgive me...:liturgy:

Upvote 0

jaxwired

Sep 19, 2006
✟15,253.00
Faith
Christian
I guess I need God to help me with this. I feel like what people do with this type of issue is instead of examining the evidence and then drawing a conclusion, they start with a conclusion and then attempt to make the evidence fit the conclusion.

Since we know that Jesus has not yet returned, then what does this verse mean. That is backwards. The bible should be teaching us so that we can draw meaningful conclusions. You shouldn't have to start out knowing the answer to understand what Jesus is teaching us.

I personally do not believe verse 27 and 28 are disconnected. I will concede that it is possible, but it seems unlikely since both talk about Jesus coming.

It is because I have very strong belief in God and Jesus that I ask these questions. I am not doubting God. If I had doubts or weak belief, I would ignore this type of issue. But because I deeply believe in God, I also believe there is a satisfying explanation. I will pray about this.

I have some doubt about whether or not the bible should be considered perfectly recorded, perfectly maintained, and perfectly translated. If I assume that it has not been, than this type of issue is no longer a problem for me. What say you?

Upvote 0

stumpjumper

Left the river, made it to the sea
Site Supporter
May 10, 2005
✟71,136.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thread moved from General Theology to Unorthodox Theology based upon the link that promotes Full Preterism.

3.5 Controversial Topics to Be Discussed Only in Certain Forums

A. You will not post content regarding the following subjects anywhere on CF except in Ethics & Morality, Liberal Theology, Christian Philosophy, or any subforums in the Congregation or Recovery* categories:

drug use
gambling
polygamy
extramarital or premarital sexual activity
homosexuality
transsexuality
abortion

*You will not make posts promoting or endorsing any of these subjects in Recovery forums.

B. Controversial doctrines listed below must be discussed in the Unorthodox Theological Doctrines or Liberal Theology forums only:

Full Preterism
Open Theism
Universalism or Universal Salvation
Annihilationism
Freemasonry

Upvote 0

Hidden Manna

Veteran
Feb 21, 2004
✟8,918.00
Faith
Christian
Did we miss it?

Christ's second coming is the mark of the end of time and everything created.

It all happens at the very last moment... no preparation time, no warnings. Just blink, and it's all gone.

No, you didn't miss it.

But you better get ready. It may happen in your lifetime... and even if it doesn't you wont get a second chance after your death.

Forgive me....

Your forgiven but the problems with the traditional view of the literal “heavens and earth” being destroyed, buy literal fire, if the literal “heavens and earth” were NOT destroyed by water.
The apostle Peter makes a distribution of the world into heaven and earth, and saith they were destroyed with water, and perished. (2 Peter 3:5-6)

We know that neither the fabric nor substance of the one or other was literally destroyed, but only the men that lived on the earth was destroyed. The apostle goes on to tells us in (verse 7) of the heaven and earth then, were ready to be destroyed by Fire.

If that heaven and earth that was destroyed by water were the inhabitants of the world, were does Peter say he was changing context and shifts gears in verse 7 to a literal physical world?

It is certain that the apostle Peter intends by the world, with its heaven, and earth (verses. 5, 6), which was destroyed; is the same kind, he intends by the heavens and the earth that were to be consumed and destroyed by fire in (verse. 7); It is certain that by the flood, the world, or the fabric of heaven and earth, was not literally destroyed, but only the inhabitants of the world; and therefore the destruction intimated to succeed by fire is not of the substance of the literal heavens and the earth, but the inhabitants of the world.

Jesus also said: I am come to send fire on the earth; and what will I, if it be already kindled? (Luke 12:49) Paul goes on to say that God would bring a righteous judgment on the Jews in his day, who were troubling the saints. This would happen when Jesus was revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.

(2 Thessalonians 1:1-8) John speaking of this very same event had this to say. And they went up on the breadth of the earth, and compassed the camp of the saints about, and the beloved city: and fire came down from God out of heaven, and devoured them. (Revelation 20:9) Where was this beloved city were fire came down from God out of heaven and devoured them all?

The beloved city of the Jews called Jerusalem. The writer of Hebrews said: For our God (is) a consuming fire. (Hebrews 12:29)

The time of this creation of the heaven and earth that Peter tells us about are mentioned in Isaiah 51:16. Planting the heavens and laying the foundation of the earth, was performed by God when He divided the sea (ver. 15) and gave the law (ver. 16), and said to Zion, Thou art my people; that is, when He took the children of Israel out of Egypt, and formed them in the wilderness into a church and state; then He planted the heavens and laid the foundation of the earth: that is, brought forth order, and government.

Hebrews 12 speaks of the passing of this heaven and earth, established at Sinai, and the deliverance of the unshakable kingdom of God, the church, 12:21-28. Peter tells them, that after the destruction of this same ‘heaven and earth’ that he speaks of (verse 7), “ We, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth,’ etc. They had this expectation. But what is that promise? Where may we find it? We find it in Isaiah 65:17-19.

“For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth; and the former shall not be remembered or come to mind. But be glad and rejoice forever in what I create; for behold, I create Jerusalem as a rejoicing, and her people a joy will rejoice in Jerusalem, And joy in My people; The voice of weeping shall no longer be heard in her, Nor the voice of crying.

God brought the flood because mankind was evil “every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.” God brought the flood because of SIN. But in Genesis 8:21 God looked down through time; knowing “the imagination of man’s heart is evil from youth” God vowed to never again destroy every living creature. God destroyed the world by the flood because the world was wicked. But God knew that man would not change therefore he vowed to never again destroy the world! Psalms 78; Psalms 96:10; Psalms 119:89-90; Ecclesiastes 1:4; Isaiah 45:17; Now the New Testament unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus (throughout all ages, world without end Amen). (Ephesians 3:21 JKV)

Question
We know that neither the fabric nor substance of the one or other was literally destroyed, but only the men that liveth on the earth was destroyed. The apostle goes on to tells us in (verse 7) of the heaven and earth then, were ready to be destroyed by Fire.
(1) If the heaven and earth that was destroyed by water were NOT literally destroyed but the inhabitants of the world, were does Peter say he was changing context and shifts gears in verse 7 to mean the literal physical world?

Paul in his letter to the church of Thessalonians said God would bring a righteous judgment on the Jews in his day, who were troubling the saints. Which we say God did on Judgment day in 70 A.D.

(2) Were does Paul say this righteous judgment on the Jews of his day who were troubling the saints could happen thousands of years away from his days? My Bible says. Paul was looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ in his day (Titus 2:13)

Upvote 0

angelmom01

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2006
✟50,359.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here are some scriptures to consider:

Luk 17:21 Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is WITHIN YOU.

Mat 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:

Heb 9:28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and UNTO THEM THAT LOOK FOR HIM shall he appear the SECOND time without sin unto salvation.

Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Joh 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, AND COME AGAIN unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

Act 2:1-4 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. 2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting. 3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

1Th 5:2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief IN THE NIGHT.

1Th 5:4-6 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. 5 Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not OF THE NIGHT, nor of darkness. 6 Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us WATCH and be sober.

Psa 90:4 For a thousand years in thy sight are but as YETERDAY when it is past, and as a watch in THE NIGHT.

Heb 3:15 While it is said, TO DAY if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.

Heb 4:7 Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, TO DAY, after so long a time; as it is said, TO DAY if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts.

Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both ((died, and rose)), and ((revived)), that he might be Lord BOTH of the DEAD AND LIVING.

1Jo 3:14 We know that we have passed from death UNTO LIFE, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth IN DEATH.

Heb 13:8 Jesus Christ the same YESTERDAY, and TO DAY, and FOR EVER.

Blessings,
angelmom

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.