Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
"In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness."-Zechariah 12:4

Hello, recently I've been struggling with verses in the Old Testament regarding the Second Coming that mention horses and horsemen. My question is, are there still countries today with horse drive cavalry? And also is it meant to be taken literally, or symbolically?

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Eschatology, a study of "last things", is a broad stroke of the brush.

Let me say this, there is only one mention of Christ's return on a "horse", and that is in Rev. 19.

On the day of Christ's ascention into heaven, there is no mention of Jesus ascending up, into heaven, upon a horse. But there were (presumably) two angels who appeared and spoke to the disciples and told them not to fear, that they saw Him go, He would return in the same manner. (cf. Acts 1:9-11)

Personally, I believe Zachariahs prophesy is tied into Christ's return in Rev. 19.

But that is just my .02 worth.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... My question is, are there still countries today with horse drive cavalry? And also is it meant to be taken literally, or symbolically?
As was stated, it is a broad brush that is usually used in studying or interpreting End Times Prophesies. Some things mentioned in scripture could have a meaning in these things, and a separate meaning for the times of old. It is not a single-dimension concept.

Also, simply because there are not armies presently using men on horses, this does not necessarily mean there never will be again. There are things that we have been warned might happen that would render all out fancy technological advancements just so much plastic and metal. It would be a grand undertaking to recover in any way, and having a horse borne cavalry might happen before some other things.

Not definite, but possible!

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As was stated, it is a broad brush that is usually used in studying or interpreting End Times Prophesies. Some things mentioned in scripture could have a meaning in these things, and a separate meaning for the times of old. It is not a single-dimension concept.

Also, simply because there are not armies presently using men on horses, this does not necessarily mean there never will be again. There are things that we have been warned might happen that would render all out fancy technological advancements just so much plastic and metal. It would be a grand undertaking to recover in any way, and having a horse borne cavalry might happen before some other things.

Not definite, but possible!

Quite true.

Ever seen the movie "Enemy at the Gates"?

Russians in WWII were sent to the front line. The first guy given a rifle and the second guy given a clip of ammo. When the first guy fell, the second guy could pick up the gun and carry on.

Writting a commentary on Mt. 24, I ran across a report by the Defense agency where China could at any given moment field an effective army of 350 million. They don't have the guns, but a similar scene couldf take place as above in the movie.

And, there is always the explanation that the horses could be an allegory of something they had no idea how to describe on future "end time" events.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

David Pratt

Aug 15, 2010
✟15,957.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
King James Version Bible

Zechariah Chapter 12

2. Behold, I will make Jerusalem a cup of trembling unto all the people round about, when they shall be in the siege both against Judah and against Jerusalem.

3. And in that day will I make Jerusalem a burdensome stone for all people: all that burden themselves with it shall be cut in pieces, though all the people of the earth be gathered together against it.

4. In that day, saith the LORD, I will smite every horse with astonishment, and his rider with madness: and I will open mine eyes upon the house of Judah, and will smite every horse of the people with blindness.

5. And the governors of Judah shall say in their heart, The inhabitants of Jerusalem shall be my strength in the LORD of hosts their God.

I believe this a literal, future, event. Perhaps it is between the future time period of the 1000 rein of Christ & the Great White Throne Judgment. In any event, the description seems literal.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
... "Enemy at the Gates"?

Russians in WWII were sent to the front line. The first guy given a rifle and the second guy given a clip of ammo. When the first guy fell, the second guy could pick up the gun and carry on...
The imagery in the movie got the point across. Here was a fellow who was not sure what would happen, because he was not given a gun, though about the most important one to give it to!

There is a possibility of EMP from solar activity, or another source, that could take away what we know as TECHNOLOGY, and put us where we were 150 years ago. It is possible that something, like was mentioned above, happens, and this is after the 1000 years, and things are very simple.

A thousand years of peace, and there may not need to be what we have for technology today. It is important for EVERYONE to know (regardless of this situation) that, for the many thousands of years of human existence, there was not electric service to every home, no auto's running to and fro, and there were no computers. Laundry was washed by hand, and refrigeration was stored ice that was harvested in Winter from lakes and ponds.

I had a friend tell me, when I was young, that he (an old man at the time) had seen more change than people of ANY generation. He meant that he could remember having never seen an automobile, or knowing about people flying planes through the air. All the trains were steam driven, and there was no radio or television. It may take only seconds, days or weeks to put the world right back there, and the western world would feel it worse.

Upvote 0

iam13

Nov 30, 2014
Left of West
Visit site
✟16,047.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Very interesting. I have and ride a white horse. A steel white horse. eheh

Must-Hanger1-2.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AnneY

Aug 19, 2015
Midwest
✟123,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0