Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Keeping Sunday does not fulfil the commands requirement.

The Fourth Commandment (biblehub.com)

The Catholic Church's main doctrine is “the Law is abrogated”; it then provides a substitute Law, that produces a form of righteousness. Protestants also abrogate the Law, but for most part they do not have a substitute Law and are Lawless.

Some English churches use the Westminster Confession which does not abrogate God's Law, yet they keep Sunday thinking that is Lawful.

Keeping the Sabbath-day, like repenting and marriage, requires the presence of God; it is not for me to say whether God would or wouldn't be present on Sunday, but it seems to me Sunday is an enormous gamble.

What about seventh day keepers, is God automatically present, is God's presence a wrong assumption? It depends on the people I think; if two or more of His people gather in His name, He would be there regardless of the day.​

Reactions: BobRyan

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Catholic Church's main doctrine is “the Law is abrogated”; it then provides a substitute Law, that produces a form of righteousness. Protestants also abrogate the Law, but for most part they do not have a substitute Law and are Lawless.

Some English churches use the Westminster Confession which does not abrogate God's Law, yet they keep Sunday thinking that is Lawful.

Keeping the Sabbath-day, like repenting and marriage, requires the presence of God; it is not for me to say whether God would or wouldn't be present on Sunday, but it seems to me Sunday is an enormous gamble.

What about seventh day keepers, is God automatically present, is God's presence a wrong assumption? It depends on the people I think; if two or more of His people gather in His name, He would be there regardless of the day.​
The " presence of God" is within you through His Holy Spirit. Not my words but His, Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Blessings.
John 14
Jesus answered and said unto him," If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our home with him."

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The " presence of God" is within you through His Holy Spirit. Not my words but His, Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Blessings.
John 14
Jesus answered and said unto him," If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our home with him."
Jesus said His Word is the Ten Commandments. When we keep our traditions over the commandments of God- Jesus quoting from the Ten it makes His Word of no effect

Mark 7:6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—[d]the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus said His Word is the Ten Commandments. When we keep our traditions over the commandments of God- Jesus quoting from the Ten it makes His Word of no effect

Mark 7:6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—[d]the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

9 He said to them, “All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”
His "Words" are not synonymous with the " ten commandments ". If it were so, He would have preached the " law" but instead He preached the Kingdom of God. There is no Law in the Kingdom as Jesus Christ of Nazareth fulfilled its purpose in order for those who Love Him can enter with Him. We can not put the law, written in stone, above the Spirit. One has either the law or the Spirit.

Romans 8
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Blessings.

Upvote 0

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟480,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
His "Words" are not synonymous with the " ten commandments ". If it were so, He would have preached the " law" but instead He preached the Kingdom of God. There is no Law in the Kingdom as Jesus Christ of Nazareth fulfilled its purpose in order for those who Love Him can enter with Him. We can not put the law, written in stone, above the Spirit. One has either the law or the Spirit.

Romans 8
There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His. 10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. 11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

Blessings.
Jesus used His Word and the commandments of God interchangeable as clearly shown in the post you are replying to. No Kingdom can survive without laws which is why His law is shown in heaven Rev 11:19 as the earthy temple was modeled after His heavenly Temple Heb 8:1-5 and the Ten Commandments sits under His mercy as it is what man will be judged by James 2:10-12 Ecc 12:13-14 Mat 5:18-30 Rev 22:14-15

Jesus did preach His law- telling us not to break or teach others to break the least of these quoting from the Ten Commandments Mat 5:19-30. How many times does He need to repeat Himself for us to believe. He often taught about obedience to His commandments its a theme throughout the entire bible. Sin- breaking God's law 1 John 3:4 Romans 7:7 separated us from God Isa 59:2 its not wise to think we can continue in that path and think we can be reconciled. Even your own scripture you posted if you read Rom 8:7-8 disagrees that we can be hostile or reject God's law and be in Christ. If we are hostile to God's law we are an enmity to God which means He is not abiding in us. It is what Jesus said in His own Words that when we keep our traditions over the commandments of God our heart is far from Him, Mat 15:3-14 Mark 7:7-13 God wants our heart close to Him which is why His law is written in our hearts and minds. Heb 8:10 Jer 31:33, rejecting His law is really the same as rejecting Him according to His own teaching. His character is a reflection of His holy law and is perfect Psa 19:7 because God personally wrote it and could not write an imperfect law because God is perfect.

I'm not sure why anyone would not want to embrace a commandment of God, especially when God is just trying to spend quality time with His children to bless and sanctify us Isa 58:13-14 Isa 56:1-6 Eze 20:12 because we can't sanctify ourselves, we need God. Eze 20:12

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,126.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Catholic Church's main doctrine is “the Law is abrogated”; it then provides a substitute Law, that produces a form of righteousness. Protestants also abrogate the Law, but for most part they do not have a substitute Law and are Lawless.​
That is so asinine, bigoted and thoughtless. I pray that you are only parroting your peers. Why would anyone take your post seriously?

Catholics and Protestants believe in the greatest law ever given, the Royal Law of Love. It is the New command that Jesus gave to us. I personally am a protestant, but I have never met a Catholic that didn't treat me with respect, and I didn't like. They must be doing something right. I wish I could say the same about the church I once belonged.
They don't abrogate it? Like your first statement you are not thinking.
Keeping the Sabbath-day, like repenting and marriage, requires the presence of God; it is not for me to say whether God would or wouldn't be present on Sunday, but it seems to me Sunday is an enormous gamble.​
The real gamble is having one foot in the old covenant requirements and not believing what Jesus did for all mankind "by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations." Eph2:15

If Jesus set aside the law with its commandments, so we are not under the Sabbath requirement which means no one is sinning except those who are telling others what we have "keep" the Sabbath to be saved.
What about seventh day keepers, is God automatically present, is God's presence a wrong assumption? It depends on the people I think; if two or more of His people gather in His name, He would be there regardless of the day.
First of all, seventh-day worshippers are not keepers and those that make the same claim in other denominations aren't either. "Keeping" means to do everything commanded. No one meets that requirement.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,298.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is no day keeping in Christianity. Most protestant churches do not keep any day, Sunday is just a day of celebration and of community meeting.

• Winner
Reactions: Bob S
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟283,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well it is rather inconsistent when many Christian make a big deal about having "The Ten Commandments" in public places and then perhaps don't realize that they are not strictly keeping them. Any why stop there?

We also the Ten Commandments of

Exodus 34

1. 12 Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land where you are going, or they will be a snare among you. 13 Break down their altars, smash their sacred stones and cut down their Asherah poles. 14 Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God. 15 “Be careful not to make a treaty with those who live in the land; for when they prostitute themselves to their gods and sacrifice to them, they will invite you and you will eat their sacrifices. 16 And when you choose some of their daughters as wives for your sons and those daughters prostitute themselves to their gods, they will lead your sons to do the same.
  1. 17 “Do not make any idols.
  1. 18 “Celebrate the Festival of Unleavened Bread. For seven days eat bread made without yeast, as I commanded you. Do this at the appointed time in the month of Aviv, for in that month you came out of Egypt.
  1. 19 “The first offspring of every womb belongs to me, including all the firstborn males of your livestock, whether from herd or flock. 20 Redeem the firstborn donkey with a lamb, but if you do not redeem it, break its neck. Redeem all your firstborn sons.
  1. “No one is to appear before me empty-handed.
  1. 21 “Six days you shall labor, but on the seventh day you shall rest; even during the plowing season and harvest you must rest.
  1. 22 “Celebrate the Festival of Weeks with the firstfruits of the wheat harvest, and the Festival of Ingathering at the turn of the year. 23 Three times a year all your men are to appear before the Sovereign Lord, the God of Israel. 24 I will drive out nations before you and enlarge your territory, and no one will covet your land when you go up three times each year to appear before the Lord your God.
  1. 25 “Do not offer the blood of a sacrifice to me along with anything containing yeast, and do not let any of the sacrifice from the Passover Festival remain until morning.
  1. 26 “Bring the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the Lord your God.
  1. “Do not cook a young goat in its mother’s milk.”

Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟97,604.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
That is so asinine, bigoted and thoughtless. I pray that you are only parroting your peers. Why would anyone take your post seriously?

Catholics and Protestants believe in the greatest law ever given, the Royal Law of Love. It is the New command that Jesus gave to us. I personally am a protestant, but I have never met a Catholic that didn't treat me with respect, and I didn't like. They must be doing something right. I wish I could say the same about the church I once belonged.

The real gamble is having one foot in the old covenant requirements and not believing what Jesus did for all mankind "by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations." Eph2:15

If Jesus set aside the law with its commandments, so we are not under the Sabbath requirement which means no one is sinning except those who are telling others what we have "keep" the Sabbath to be saved.

First of all, seventh-day worshippers are not keepers and those that make the same claim in other denominations aren't either. "Keeping" means to do everything commanded. No one meets that requirement.
Isn't your first paragraph considered goading and flaming?

I agree with sparow on very little, if anything, but your post is out of line.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

True since the command specifically says "the seventh day is the Sabbath" and very few Christians claim that Tuesday or Monday or Sunday is the Seventh day of the week known to Moses and his readers at Sinai.

Keeping the Sabbath-day, like repenting and marriage, requires the presence of God; it is not for me to say whether God would or wouldn't be present on Sunday, but it seems to me Sunday is an enormous gamble.​
God is omnipresent and that is true no matter what world religion one belongs to. The question is about "the Lord of the Sabbath", it is about what Paul calls "Keeping the Commandments of God" in 1 Cor 7:19 since he says "that is what matters".

What about seventh day keepers, is God automatically present, is God's presence a wrong assumption? It depends on the people I think;​
Certainly Christ and Paul and the Apostles kept the Sabbath - but so also did Jews who opposed Christ claim to keep the Sabbath.

Just like "do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 , we cannot say that everyone who refrains from taking God's name in vain - is thereby "saved" -- since salvation is not "by works".
if two or more of His people gather in His name, He would be there regardless of the day.​
True - and He is omnipresent regardless of the world religion that one may be affiliated with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That is so...(bluster, rant and bravado deleted here)
Is there a point in your post?
Catholics and Protestants believe in the greatest law ever given, the Royal Law of Love. It is the New command that Jesus gave to us.
try quoting it. Make a point.
I personally am a protestant, but I have never met a Catholic that didn't treat me with respect, and I didn't like.
good for you.

and your point?
The real gamble is having one foot in the old covenant requirements
have you read the new covenant ? Jer 31:31-34. Have a shot at it -- so we can respond to a point made.
and not believing what Jesus did for all mankind "by setting aside in his flesh the law with its commands and regulations." Eph2:15
Eph 6:2 says "honor your father and mother is the FIRST commandment WITH a promise" in that still-valid unit of TEN.

While you are reading the book of Ephesians - consider some time spent reading past Eph 2.
If Jesus set aside the law with its commandments, so we are not under the Sabbath requirement
quote something in actual scripture.
First of all, seventh-day worshippers are not keepers
accusations are not a funny kind of "substance" in a post. You need an actual fact.
"Keeping" means to do everything commanded. No one meets that requirement.
and... ?? so that is how you dismiss "do not take God's name in vain"? Or is it the way to dismiss Eph 6:2?

Reactions: Icyspark
Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟755,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The few surviving records of the ancient Christians testify of a shift to Sunday worship. Apparently it is permissible to observe either depending on one’s faith confession. To condemn Sunday worship is to condemn most early Christians ( including martyrs) as unbelievers.

Later add on:

There was solemn assembly on the 8th day in the Old Testament. This alongside the risen Lord being worshipped on the 8th day may be on what the Sunday worship stands ( Matthew 28:1-9).

After the 7 days of offerings during the feast of Tabernacles, a sacred assembly was on the 8th day ( Numbers 29:35). When Nehemiah read the Law at the end of the Feast of Tabernacles, a sacred assembly took place according to the “prescribed manner” ( Nehemiah 8:18, per Nehemiah 8:1-18).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
John 14
Most people do not realise that there are two sides, for God or against God, so we have the seal of God and the mark of the beast. Christians think it is all about them and not all about God.

If a person breaths then a part of God is in him, from there, having the spirit of God or the spirit of Satan is a toggle switch, unfortunately the default is the spirit of Satan, and effort is required to find God.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
True since the command specifically says "the seventh day is the Sabbath" and very few Christians claim that Tuesday or Monday or Sunday is the Seventh day of the week known to Moses and his readers at Sinai.

God is omnipresent and that is true no matter what world religion one belongs to. The question is about "the Lord of the Sabbath", it is about what Paul calls "Keeping the Commandments of God" in 1 Cor 7:19 since he says "that is what matters".

Certainly Christ and Paul and the Apostles kept the Sabbath - but so also did Jews who opposed Christ claim to keep the Sabbath.

Just like "do not take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 , we cannot say that everyone who refrains from taking God's name in vain - is thereby "saved" -- since salvation is not "by works".

True - and He is omnipresent regardless of the world religion that one may be affiliated with.
You do reinforce what I have said, except for, "since salvation is not "by works". This seems to reflect the in vain debates and doctrines of men, or at least works are subjective. I believe Peter or James defined works as doing what God requires. Salvation is by covenant (contract).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
The few surviving records of the ancient Christians testify of a shift to Sunday worship. Apparently it is permissible to observe either depending on one’s faith confession. To condemn Sunday worship is to condemn most early Christians ( including martyrs) as unbelievers.

Later add on:

There was solemn assembly on the 8th day in the Old Testament. This alongside the risen Lord being worshipped on the 8th day may be on what the Sunday worship stands ( Matthew 28:1-9).

After the 7 days of offerings during the feast of Tabernacles, a sacred assembly was on the 8th day ( Numbers 29:35). When Nehemiah read the Law at the end of the Feast of Tabernacles, a sacred assembly took place according to the “prescribed manner” ( Nehemiah 8:18, per Nehemiah 8:1-18).
Reasons for not keeping the Sabbath during the first three centuries was keeping the Sabbath meant death if caught. I think the Church environment around Alexandria was already complex before Christ was added.

All things are established in the OT, the NT is the old confirmed. The eighth day is also the eighth millennium, the day of the second resurrection, and the destruction of Gog and his armies; all of the seven feasts are prophetic and people would do well to remember them today.

Another thing the church should consider is changing laws and times is what the anti-Christ does.

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

I detect a change in your presentation, Are you watching Creflo Dollar.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Claiming to keep the 7th day Sabbath meaning keeping All other commandments as well....so are you?

Upvote 0

sparow

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2014
✟489,464.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Claiming to keep the 7th day Sabbath meaning keeping All other commandments as well....so are you?
Bingo! I have always assumed the forums were to discuss doctrine, not for personal judgement. Possibly the only commandment I do not keep is the 4th, but I keep the day. Are you claiming to be perfect?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Bingo! I have always assumed the forums were to discuss doctrine, not for personal judgement. Possibly the only commandment I do not keep is the 4th, but I keep the day. Are you claiming to be perfect?
this is no personal judgement i can assure you..
No, im not perfect and i have never claim to be...
the 4th commandment is about a "rest" on a particular "day"

Upvote 0