Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You thought Clare was referring to the sermon on the mount in Matthew 22. That didn't inspire confidence in me.

Jesus is fully man and fully God.

What mountain named sin?
The Ten Commandments and Book of the Law were given at Sinai… which means “Sin”

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You thought Clare was referring to the sermon on the mount in Matthew 22. That didn't inspire confidence in me.

What mountain named sin?
Annmnndddd AMEN to Jesus being the very Incarnation! Say it some more and I’ll get up and dance with joy! All Love to you, sibling in Him…

Now back to the back and forth…

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The phrase "to magnify the law" is often associated with Jesus' teachings ,
Nevertheless, he never said that.
specifically in the Gospel of Matthew, where Jesus says, Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

By saying this, Jesus emphasized that he did not come to abolish the Jewish law (the Torah) but to fulfill its true meaning
It's true meaning is what is written by Moses. Jesus fulfilled the law, the Messianic Psalms and the Messianic prophecies.
and purpose. In his teachings, Jesus often went beyond the literal interpretation of the law
The literal interpretation is the only interpretation, there is no other.
and emphasized its deeper spiritual and moral implications. He gave examples such as refraining from anger being akin to refraining from murder, and looking at someone with lust being similar to adultery (Matthew 5:21-30).
Jesus, as the Lawgiver, gave new law -- "You have heard I said. . .but I say. . ."
So, in a sense, Jesus did magnified the law by revealing its true significance and intent, going beyond mere observance of its external requirements to focus on the inward disposition of the heart and the principles of love, justice, and mercy. Jesus words are clear, their meaning certain.
Actually, he gave new law. . .

• Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It's true meaning is what is written by Moses. Jesus fulfilled the law, the Messianic Psalms and the Messianic prophecies.

Jesus, as the Lawgiver, gave new law -- "You have heard I said. . .but I say. . ."

New LAW! Next you’re going to say that Christians are to be known by their Love and CONSTRAINED by the Love of God! Scandalous! Absolutely Scandalous! :p

• Love
Reactions: Clare73
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

So what if Jesus didn't say he magnify the law? His actions say He did.

Jesus didn't give any new law, He paraphrased Deuteronomy 6: 3 ¶ Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the Lord God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Matthew 7: 12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

This is just more magnification of the law.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟282,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So what if Jesus didn't say he magnify the law? His actions say He did.

Jesus didn't give any new law, He paraphrased Deuteronomy 6: 3 ¶ Hear therefore, O Israel, and observe to do it; that it may be well with thee, and that ye may increase mightily, as the Lord God of thy fathers hath promised thee, in the land that floweth with milk and honey.
4 Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God is one Lord:
5 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

Matthew 7: 12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

This is just more magnification of the law.
You are free to call it as you please, however, Scripture does not use that word.

I say he "magnifies" love through his teaching (Mt 22:37-40) to his apostle (Gal 1:11-12 ) that the law is fulfilled in loving (Ro 13:8).

• Love
Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,632.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

What mountain named sin?
He probably meant sinai

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,632.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The Ten Commandments and Book of the Law were given at Sinai… which means “Sin”
No it means sin, god of the moon not the same meaning at all.

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gary K

an old small town kid
Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
✟100,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No it means sin, god of the moon not the same meaning at all.

This is rather unlikely. God would not have had the Israelites camp there and have given His law from a mountain named for the moon as the moon is a pagan deity.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,632.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Um... you have no idea what you have just indicated, do you?
the meaning of the name of this mount is called different things to different peoples it means nothing really it has also a second named Horeb,

I asked chat GPT to get a quick answer since to me this is not worth spending a lot of time researching, it is just a name to designate a particular mountain;

CHAT GPT: Mount Horeb is also known as Mount Sinai in the Bible, and the interchangeability of these names can indeed depend on cultural and linguistic factors.

1. **Mount Horeb:** This name is often associated with the region where Moses encountered the burning bush and received the Ten Commandments from God. The name "Horeb" is believed to have Semitic origins and may mean "desert" or "desolate place." In some traditions, Mount Horeb is specifically associated with the area in the Sinai Peninsula.

2. **Mount Sinai:** This name is more commonly used in the biblical text to refer to the same mountain where Moses received the Ten Commandments. "Sinai" may have roots in ancient Semitic languages and could mean "thorny" or "pointed," possibly referring to the rugged terrain of the region. The name "Sinai" is also associated with the Sinai Peninsula.

The interchangeability of the names "Horeb" and "Sinai" can be attributed to various factors:

1. **Geographical:** Mount Horeb and Mount Sinai are believed by many scholars to refer to the same geographical location, often identified with a mountain in the southern part of the Sinai Peninsula. Over time, different cultures and traditions may have used different names for the same location.

2. **Cultural and Linguistic:** The biblical texts were written and transmitted through various cultures and languages over centuries. Different cultures and linguistic traditions may have used different names for the same place, leading to the interchangeability of names in different biblical passages.

3. **Interpretative:** Some scholars suggest that "Horeb" and "Sinai" might have been two different names used by different groups for the same mountain, while others propose that they could refer to different parts or peaks of the same mountain range.

Overall, the exact relationship between the names "Horeb" and "Sinai" and their meanings can vary depending on historical, geographical, cultural, and linguistic contexts.

the meaning I posted was from a biblical encyclopedia...

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,632.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

of course Jesus never said that, or used the word. it is simply used to explain how to follow the law properly and why, it was a contrast to the pharisees who followed blindly like a set of instructions not understanding why. Thet followed the law in a rigid implacable way with no mercy;

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them,the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Anger​

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Mat 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Mat 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Lust​

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and notthat thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Divorce​

Mat 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Oaths​

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Mat 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
Mat 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Retaliation​

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Love Your Enemies​

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Jesus summarized the 10 commandment that makes it clear what one must do;
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Blessings

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
the meaning of the name of this mount is called different things to different peoples it means nothing really it has also a second named Horeb,

I asked chat GPT to get a quick answer since to me this is not worth spending a lot of time researching, it is just a name to designate a particular mountain;

CHAT GPT: Mount Horeb is also known as Mount Sinai in the Bible, and the interchangeability of these names can indeed depend on cultural and linguistic factors.

1. **Mount Horeb:** This name is often associated with the region where Moses encountered the burning bush and received the Ten Commandments from God. The name "Horeb" is believed to have Semitic origins and may mean "desert" or "desolate place." In some traditions, Mount Horeb is specifically associated with the area in the Sinai Peninsula.

2. **Mount Sinai:** This name is more commonly used in the biblical text to refer to the same mountain where Moses received the Ten Commandments. "Sinai" may have roots in ancient Semitic languages and could mean "thorny" or "pointed," possibly referring to the rugged terrain of the region. The name "Sinai" is also associated with the Sinai Peninsula.

The interchangeability of the names "Horeb" and "Sinai" can be attributed to various factors:

1. **Geographical:** Mount Horeb and Mount Sinai are believed by many scholars to refer to the same geographical location, often identified with a mountain in the southern part of the Sinai Peninsula. Over time, different cultures and traditions may have used different names for the same location.

2. **Cultural and Linguistic:** The biblical texts were written and transmitted through various cultures and languages over centuries. Different cultures and linguistic traditions may have used different names for the same place, leading to the interchangeability of names in different biblical passages.

3. **Interpretative:** Some scholars suggest that "Horeb" and "Sinai" might have been two different names used by different groups for the same mountain, while others propose that they could refer to different parts or peaks of the same mountain range.

Overall, the exact relationship between the names "Horeb" and "Sinai" and their meanings can vary depending on historical, geographical, cultural, and linguistic contexts.

the meaning I posted was from a biblical encyclopedia...
Judges 8:21 ring a bell?

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
of course Jesus never said that, or used the word. it is simply used to explain how to follow the law properly and why, it was a contrast to the pharisees who followed blindly like a set of instructions not understanding why. Thet followed the law in a rigid implacable way with no mercy;

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them,the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
Mat 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Anger​

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
Mat 5:22 But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.
Mat 5:23 Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;
Mat 5:24 Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.
Mat 5:25 Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.
Mat 5:26 Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

Lust​

Mat 5:27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
Mat 5:28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
Mat 5:29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
Mat 5:30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and notthat thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Divorce​

Mat 5:31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
Mat 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Oaths​

Mat 5:33 Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
Mat 5:34 But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
Mat 5:35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
Mat 5:36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
Mat 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

Retaliation​

Mat 5:38 Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
Mat 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Mat 5:40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
Mat 5:41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
Mat 5:42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

Love Your Enemies​

Mat 5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.
Mat 5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
Mat 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.
Mat 5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?
Mat 5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?
Mat 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Jesus summarized the 10 commandment that makes it clear what one must do;
Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Blessings
I am deeply in pain to post this verse. I mean it out of Love! Please, I beg you, simply ignore this and don't respond to me on this particular thread if you ache to twist what this verse specifically states....

We can discuss so very much on other threads. But, I implore you, if you desire to "reframe this verse", PLEASE just don't respond to me. We will talk on other threads.

Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law are alienated from Christ; you have fallen from grace.

Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟550,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Galatians 5:4 You who are trying to be justified by the law are alienated from Christ; you have fallen from grace.
Brother, what Paul means when he uses the word law, unqualified, is the law of Judaism that Jesus has set us free from by comparing Judaism's slavery to human law in Hagar in place of God's law in Sarah.

So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law (of Judaism). (Galatians 5:1 NLT overlaid with commentary)​

Here is the evidence that when Paul uses the word law, unqualified, Paul is referring to the law of Judaism by comparing Judaism to Hagar.

Tell me, you who want to live under the law (the laws of Judaism that does not remove sin), do you know what the law actually says? (The law says what is sin) The Scriptures say that Abraham had two sons, one from his slave wife and one from his freeborn wife. The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God’s promise (the promise to remove sin from our character). But the son of the freeborn wife was born as God’s own fulfillment of his promise. These two women serve as an illustration of God’s two covenants. The first woman, Hagar, represents Mount Sinai where people received the law that enslaved them (Judaism is enslaved in sin because they sabotaged God's law to not remove sin). And now Jerusalem is just like Mount Sinai in Arabia, because she and her children live in slavery (slavery to sin) to the law (added by the translators, not found in the original). But the other woman, Sarah, represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She is the free woman (free from sin), and she is our mother. As Isaiah said, “Rejoice, O childless woman, you who have never given birth! Break into a joyful shout, you who have never been in labor! For the desolate woman now has more children than the woman who lives with her husband!” And you, dear brothers and sisters, are children of the promise (the promise to remove sin from our character), just like Isaac. But you are now being persecuted by those who want you to keep the law (the laws of Judaism that does not remove sin), just as Ishmael, the child born by human effort, persecuted Isaac, the child born by the power of the Spirit. But what do the Scriptures say about that? “Get rid of the slave and her son, for the son of the slave woman will not share the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” So, dear brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman; we are children of the free woman. (Galatians 4:21-31 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Paul makes it clear in the following passage that he wants obedience to God and not obedience to sin. Sin is present in Judaism's human laws that sabotage God's laws to not remove sin, as made clear by Jesus in the next passage, where Judaism's human laws instead of God's laws "shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces".

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law (of Judaism), does that mean we can go on sinning (lawlessness)? Of course not (don't misunderstand God's grace)! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey (sin or God)? You can be a slave to sin (lawlessness), which leads to death (like Judaism's example of sabotaging God's Ten Commandments to not remove sin), or you can choose to obey God (Eleven Commandments), which leads to righteous living (freedom from sin). Thank God (Jesus's many forgivenesses as our High Priest allowing us to grow in obedience through practice of the Eleven Commandments)! Once you were slaves of sin (lawlessness), but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you (Eleven Commandments). Now you are free from your slavery to sin (when you obey God's Eleven Commandments), and you have become slaves to righteous living (obeying the Eleven Commandments). (Romans 6:15-18 NLT overlaid with commentary)​

Hagar's son to Abraham came from the human will and not from God's will to give Abraham a son through Hagar. Hagar is not the will of God expressed on Mount Sinai but the "human attempt" to fulfill the will of God expressed on Mount Sinai. Therefore, it is not God's laws that are tied to Hagar, but human laws found in Judaism that come from sinful "blind guides" to use laws to accomplish God's will expressed on Mount Sinai, that Jesus says in the following passage: "shut the door of the Kingdom of heaven in people's faces". It is not God's laws expressed on Mount Sinai that "shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces", it is Judaism's human replacement laws for God's laws that "shut the door of the Kingdom of heaven in people's faces".

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​

United in our hope for the soon return of Jesus, Jorge

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Brother, what Paul means when he uses the word law, unqualified, is the law of Judaism that Jesus has set us free from by comparing Judaism's slavery to human law in Hagar in place of God's law in Sarah.

So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law (of Judaism). (Galatians 5:1 NLT overlaid with commentary)​

Here is the evidence that when Paul uses the word law, unqualified, Paul is referring to the law of Judaism by comparing Judaism to Hagar.

Tell me, you who want to live under the law (the laws of Judaism that does not remove sin), do you know what the law actually says? (The law says what is sin) The Scriptures say that Abraham had two sons, one from his slave wife and one from his freeborn wife. The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God’s promise (the promise to remove sin from our character). But the son of the freeborn wife was born as God’s own fulfillment of his promise. These two women serve as an illustration of God’s two covenants. The first woman, Hagar, represents Mount Sinai where people received the law that enslaved them (Judaism is enslaved in sin because they sabotaged God's law to not remove sin). And now Jerusalem is just like Mount Sinai in Arabia, because she and her children live in slavery (slavery to sin) to the law (added by the translators, not found in the original). But the other woman, Sarah, represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She is the free woman (free from sin), and she is our mother. As Isaiah said, “Rejoice, O childless woman, you who have never given birth! Break into a joyful shout, you who have never been in labor! For the desolate woman now has more children than the woman who lives with her husband!” And you, dear brothers and sisters, are children of the promise (the promise to remove sin from our character), just like Isaac. But you are now being persecuted by those who want you to keep the law (the laws of Judaism that does not remove sin), just as Ishmael, the child born by human effort, persecuted Isaac, the child born by the power of the Spirit. But what do the Scriptures say about that? “Get rid of the slave and her son, for the son of the slave woman will not share the inheritance with the free woman’s son.” So, dear brothers and sisters, we are not children of the slave woman; we are children of the free woman. (Galatians 4:21-31 NLT fixed and overlaid with commentary)​

Paul makes it clear in the following passage that he wants obedience to God and not obedience to sin. Sin is present in Judaism's human laws that sabotage God's laws to not remove sin, as made clear by Jesus in the next passage, where Judaism's human laws instead of God's laws "shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people's faces".

Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law (of Judaism), does that mean we can go on sinning (lawlessness)? Of course not (don't misunderstand God's grace)! Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey (sin or God)? You can be a slave to sin (lawlessness), which leads to death (like Judaism's example of sabotaging God's Ten Commandments to not remove sin), or you can choose to obey God (Eleven Commandments), which leads to righteous living (freedom from sin). Thank God (Jesus's many forgivenesses as our High Priest allowing us to grow in obedience through practice of the Eleven Commandments)! Once you were slaves of sin (lawlessness), but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you (Eleven Commandments). Now you are free from your slavery to sin (when you obey God's Eleven Commandments), and you have become slaves to righteous living (obeying the Eleven Commandments). (Romans 6:15-18 NLT overlaid with commentary)​

Hagar's son to Abraham came from the human will and not from God's will to give Abraham a son through Hagar. Hagar is not the will of God expressed on Mount Sinai but the "human attempt" to fulfill the will of God expressed on Mount Sinai. Therefore, it is not God's laws that are tied to Hagar, but human laws found in Judaism that come from sinful "blind guides" to use laws to accomplish God's will expressed on Mount Sinai, that Jesus says in the following passage: "shut the door of the Kingdom of heaven in people's faces". It is not God's laws expressed on Mount Sinai that "shut the door of the kingdom of heaven in people's faces", it is Judaism's human replacement laws for God's laws that "shut the door of the Kingdom of heaven in people's faces".

“What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you shut the door of the Kingdom of Heaven in people’s faces. You won’t go in yourselves, and you don’t let others enter either. “What sorrow awaits you teachers of religious law and you Pharisees. Hypocrites! For you cross land and sea to make one convert, and then you turn that person into twice the child of hell you yourselves are! “Blind guides! What sorrow awaits you! For you say that it means nothing to swear ‘by God’s Temple,’ but that it is binding to swear ‘by the gold in the Temple.’ Blind fools! Which is more important—the gold or the Temple that makes the gold sacred? And you say that to swear ‘by the altar’ is not binding, but to swear ‘by the gifts on the altar’ is binding. How blind! For which is more important—the gift on the altar or the altar that makes the gift sacred? When you swear ‘by the altar,’ you are swearing by it and by everything on it. And when you swear ‘by the Temple,’ you are swearing by it and by God, who lives in it. And when you swear ‘by heaven,’ you are swearing by the throne of God and by God, who sits on the throne. (Matthew 23:13-22 NLT)​

I'm really trying to keep this simple. What is THE POWER BEHIND SIN? Deuteronomy 4:2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you. (This spans all the way to Deuteronomy 31:26)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

guevaraj

an oil seller in the story of the ten virgins
Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2019
Berrien Springs
Visit site
✟550,425.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
I'm really trying to keep this simple. What is THE POWER BEHIND SIN? Deuteronomy 4:2 Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the Lord your God that I give you. (This spans all the way to Deuteronomy 31:26)
Brother, God has made it simple already through the story of Hagar. I can do no better than what God has done with the Story of Hagar. The law of Judaism is a human version of "righteousness" when Judaism replaced God's Ten Commandments with human law, as Jesus tells us in the following passage. Judaism would not have a problem if they obeyed what God actually asked instead of replacing what God asked with their own human law that disobeyed the Ten Commandments.

Jesus replied, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commandments from God.’ For you ignore God’s law/commandment and substitute your own tradition.” Then he said, “You skillfully sidestep God’s law(nomos)/commandment(entolé) in order to hold on to your own tradition. For instance, Moses gave you this law(nomos)/commandment(entolé) from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’ But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’ In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.” (Mark 7:6-13 NLT fixed)​

Upvote 0

JesusFollowerForever

Jan 19, 2024
Quebec
✟13,632.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am deeply in pain to post this verse. I mean it out of Love! Please, I beg you, simply ignore this and don't respond to me on this particular thread if you ache to twist what this verse specifically states....

We can discuss so very much on other threads. But, I implore you, if you desire to "reframe this verse", PLEASE just don't respond to me. We will talk on other threads.

your wish is granted I will push the ignore button, this way the truth will no longer offend you. also what right have you to ask someone not to respond in a public forum for which I am a member?

• Wow
Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Brother, God has made it simple already through the story of Hagar. I can do no better than what God has done with the Story of Hagar. The law of Judaism is a human version of "righteousness" when Judaism replaced God's Ten Commandments with human law, as Jesus tells us in the following passage. Judaism would not have a problem if they obeyed what God actually asked instead of replacing what God asked with their own human law that disobeyed the Ten Commandments.

Jesus replied, “You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you, for he wrote, ‘These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship is a farce, for they teach man-made ideas as commandments from God.’ For you ignore God’s law/commandment and substitute your own tradition.” Then he said, “You skillfully sidestep God’s law(nomos)/commandment(entolé) in order to hold on to your own tradition. For instance, Moses gave you this law(nomos)/commandment(entolé) from God: ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and ‘Anyone who speaks disrespectfully of father or mother must be put to death.’ But you say it is all right for people to say to their parents, ‘Sorry, I can’t help you. For I have vowed to give to God what I would have given to you.’ In this way, you let them disregard their needy parents. And so you cancel the word of God in order to hand down your own tradition. And this is only one example among many others.” (Mark 7:6-13 NLT fixed)​

What was given ON SINAI? This should be an easy one... and do not be deceived, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work"

Upvote 0

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,583.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
your wish is granted I will push the ignore button, this way the truth will no longer offend you. also what right have you to ask someone not to respond in a public forum for which I am a member?
I won't ignore you... and if you ever unignore me... I'll still be here. All blessings in the Author and very Being of our Salvation, to you.

Upvote 0