The "Rule" of Expediency... 1 Corinthians 6:12.

A

Apollos1

In the following -2- passages Paul sets forth a “rule of expediency” that applies to the practices of Christians. Let’s explore what these “things” are and how this rule is applied to “things”.

1 Corinthians 6:12 – “All things are lawful for me; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful for me; but I will not be brought under the power of any.”

1 Corinthians 10:23 – “All things are lawful; but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful; but not all things edify.”

“All things…” What things? What is Paul talking about? The origin of this phrase is uncertain and we may never know why the phrase was used. But the context of the passage should help us in determining what is being said.

Prior context of verse 12 in Chapter 6 (all verses 1-11, emphasis on verses 9-11) finds Paul talking about things that are prohibited. Is Paul contrasting “all things” with those things that are prohibited?

Could Paul be making reference to the “lawfulness” that the (Jewish) Corinthians have found by being in Christ? It was now “lawful” for these to eat meats once prohibited to them and “lawful” to not observe certain feast days.

Perhaps Paul is “parroting” some of the Corinthians who would be attempting to justify certain carnal needs by invoking the “law” of nature? This would be carnal needs they were fulfilling because they arise naturally, and as such must be “lawful” to fulfill. Verses 6:13-20 lends some immediate context for this thought with its mention of hunger and fornication.

BUT – Paul presents this same thought –
“All things are lawful for me…” - in chapter 10:23 where the specific context here (the “cup” of demons) is not the same as in 6:12 (hunger/fornication), but the general context is, that context being about “things” that are otherwise lawful or permissible to do IF they are expedient and if they edify. It is here that Paul clarifies 6:12b as to the requirement of “things” being required to edify. Verse 24 continues the thought of edification – don’t seek just what is good for yourself, but that which is good for others.

(One “version” renders verse 6:12 (out of the 10 translations and 2 versions I typically check in my studies) as… “All things are permissible to me”.
Of the 32 times this Greek word is used in the NT most are in reference to “the Law” within the 4 Gospels – used twice elsewhere in reference to man’s law – used once in reference to heaven’s law – translated as “freely” once in Acts 2:29 – and in reference to obtaining permission in Acts 21:37. Does this word study help? Perhaps it does a little.

Do these verses mean then that Paul was free to do as he pleased? This can not possibly be the thought because Paul in verses 6:9-10 gives a list of 10 things not lawful or permissible. It would be impossible to harmonize verse 12 with verses 9-10 with such a conclusion. Again, Paul must be speaking about “things” that are lawful or permissible to do only IF they are expedient – AND (as in verse 6:12) don’t come to control the person doing such “things” / edify – as in 10:23).

AND we would want our determination from these two main scriptures above to harmonize with all other scripture such as 1 Corinthians 9:23 and Philippians 4:13. Harmony must also apply to passages such as Colossians 3:16, where “Whatsoever we do…” - it should be “rooted” in Christ.

Based on these thoughts I conclude that Paul is speaking of “things” that are lawful and permissible according to God’s will. Of these “things” the Christians is not to be overcome by them or lose control to their use/practice (it is at this point these things are no longer expedient). Further, I believe that Paul tells us that these “things” must be expedient (help, profit, contribute) and they must edify (repair, build up, promote) in order to be lawful/permissible.

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps this will become clear with a wider view of what problems the Corinthians were going through.

It seems that many of them were mistaking the concept of the "soul" versus the "body". The misunderstanding was that since the soul - the spiritual part of us - was what was saved, the body didn't matter. Thus, some early Christians felt that they could commit any sort of thing with their body because it was going to burn anyway. This is evident especially in 5:1-2. Paul moves on to tell them to handle these matters internally. God will handle those outside of the church; they must, however, remove those who willingly violate God from their numbers. In 6:1-8 Paul qualifies this by telling them to NOT go outside the fellowship for internal disputes. In 6:9-11, Paul points out that now that they have become Christians, they are new people and not the sinners they were before.

What follows in ch6:12-20 is a summary of the ideas just presented. The quoted parts of v12 - "all things are permissible for me" - is being stated from the point of view of the Corinthians. In effect, they think that since they've been saved, they can now engage in any physical behavior without consequence. Paul is denying this theology by saying "...but not everything is permissible" and "...but I will not be mastered by anything". He is stating that we are to keep ourselves pure physically as well as spiritually. To sin against our body is to sin against God.

Ch. 8 takes us into a new direction (Now about food sacrificed to idols...). Some with stronger understanding knew that food sacrificed to idols was no different than any other food...however, the weaker brethren had trouble with the concept. Paul tells them that the stronger should sacrifice their "rights" for the weaker. He then supports this in ch.9 by stating his rights as an apostle, and how he sacrifices his rights and desires for the good of the kingdom. Ch.10 stays with the food & drink motif by showing how Israel was chosen by God yet many of them still fell because of their disobedience (1-5). Paul then equates the eating of food sacrificed to idolatry to idolatry itself; even though there is nothing wrong with the food itself, there is a deeper issue at stake; they are participating in idolatry by purchasing and eating the food, and they should separate themselves from that (6-22).

Like 6:12-20, 10:23-27 is a summary of the idea that precedes it. The Corinthians are stating that "all things are permissible" to them...Paul is denying that theology. We must consider the deeper implications of the things we do - in this case, the meat was OK but the implicit connection to idolatry was not. Since many within their community (both believers and unbelievers) understood the implicit view of their actions, they should abstain from it completely.

Again, go to www.biblegateway.com and read the TNIV, NLT and Message translations of these passages - they read much clearer.

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Perhaps Paul is “parroting” some of the Corinthians who would be attempting to justify certain carnal needs by invoking the “law” of nature? This would be carnal needs they were fulfilling because they arise naturally, and as such must be “lawful” to fulfill. Verses 6:13-20 lends some immediate context for this thought with its mention of hunger and fornication.

If it's not evident by my post above, I think the flaw in your thinking is that your context is not wide enough. The concept of the preceding verses should also be taken in context with those verses that preceded it...and, in fact, this is a continuation of a single, flowing thought that started in Ch. 5:1.

(One “version” renders verse 6:12 (out of the 10 translations and 2 versions I typically check in my studies) as… “All things are permissible to me”.
Of the 32 times this Greek word is used in the NT most are in reference to “the Law” within the 4 Gospels – used twice elsewhere in reference to man’s law – used once in reference to heaven’s law – translated as “freely” once in Acts 2:29 – and in reference to obtaining permission in Acts 21:37. Does this word study help? Perhaps it does a little.

I will admit, further study has made me realized that "lawful" didn't mean the legal/governmental application, but the view that all things were permissible because the body didn't matter.

However, I don't see how the interpretation I gave above contradicts with this definition.

Do these verses mean then that Paul was free to do as he pleased? This can not possibly be the thought because Paul in verses 6:9-10 gives a list of 10 things not lawful or permissible. It would be impossible to harmonize verse 12 with verses 9-10 with such a conclusion. Again, Paul must be speaking about “things” that are lawful or permissible to do only IF they are expedient – AND (as in verse 6:12) don’t come to control the person doing such “things” / edify – as in 10:23).

I do agree with the first part. What you're missing is that the "all things are lawful" is NOT an idea Paul is presenting - it is a quote summarizing the theology of (some of) the Corinthians. Each line that follows is Paul denying that theology.

However, your conclusion doesn't follow. What Paul is saying is that our bodies belong to Christ, and that by demeaning our bodies we demean the body of Christ as a whole. Just because it is the spiritual that is eternal doesn't mean that the physical doesn't matter to God. Your attempt to legalize the passage strips it of its meaning.

AND we would want our determination from these two main scriptures above to harmonize with all other scripture such as 1 Corinthians 9:23 and Philippians 4:13. Harmony must also apply to passages such as Colossians 3:16, where “Whatsoever we do…” - it should be “rooted” in Christ.

You should not attempt to harmonize dislocated scriptures by taking scriptures out of context. Each letter, each book was written for a different purpose, and each passage only has meaning when taken as a part of that book/letter. I do admit, it is VERY difficult to harmonize a strict, legalistic viewpoint without changing or denying context. True harmonization will inevitably take you out of legalistic mode.

I say this realizing I haven't addressed the passages you mentioned above. That will take some further study on my part, and I'm not sure it would matter in the course of this thread.

Based on these thoughts I conclude that Paul is speaking of “things” that are lawful and permissible according to God’s will. Of these “things” the Christians is not to be overcome by them or lose control to their use/practice (it is at this point these things are no longer expedient). Further, I believe that Paul tells us that these “things” must be expedient (help, profit, contribute) and they must edify (repair, build up, promote) in order to be lawful/permissible.

I have no problem with expediency. There are "unchanging" elements to our faith that the bible is very explicit in spelling out. There are many things where God, in His wisdom, stayed silent on, knowing that cultural and technological changes would inevitably make obsolete. He didn't force a premature understanding of things future to the writers of the NT, nor did He deny us the ability to change those things He was silent on as needed. Church buildings, songbooks, microphones, speakers - these are tools that change has allowed us to become more efficient in our delivery. IM, dramas, A/V, etc. - these are cultural items that allow the gospel to be delivered in ways that are more relevant to the current culture, in the same way that gospel meetings/revivals were relevant to culture 100+ years ago. God allows change when it doesn't conflict with non-essential doctrine.

I would expand "edification" to refer to "the heart". 1 Cor 10:31 states "So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.", and this is a guide for us. We must evaluate all we do, all we preach, and in fact the way we live our lives, to ensure that we glory God with our actions. We no longer have problems with food sacrificed to idols; however ,we do have many similar issues. What movies do we watch? What jokes do we laugh at? What music do we listen to? Just as food to idols had a deeper meaning than just nutrition, so do many things in our lives have a deeper meaning. We must avoid being attached to "unChristian" things by our actions.

Upvote 0
A

Apollos1

Crawfish –
Please note that in my last post I ASKED several questions in reference to these 2 passages and followed the question with thoughts in reference to the question to present possible information. You answered as though I had taken that position.

He is stating that we are to keep ourselves pure physically as well as spiritually.[/quote]
I have no disagreement with this. But – how far will you allow the application of this principle to go? To the physical body? To sexual impurities? To “all things” we teach and practice in our religion?
I say this realizing I haven't addressed the passages you mentioned above. That will take some further study on my part, and I'm not sure it would matter in the course of this thread.
It does matter because Paul is not going to say one thing to the Corinthians that doesn’t harmonize with what he said to the Colossians. While Paul may utilize a phrase taken from the Corinthians such as “All things are lawful…”, the spiritual principle Paul is making and recording will be a principle to Christians for all time. This principle must harmonize with all other scripture the HS gave through the NT writers.

Last time I said - Based on these thoughts I conclude that Paul is speaking of “things” that are lawful and permissible according to God’s will. Of these “things” the Christians is not to be overcome by them or lose control to their use/practice (it is at this point these things are no longer expedient). Further, I believe that Paul tells us that these “things” must be expedient (help, profit, contribute) and they must edify (repair, build up, promote) in order to be lawful/permissible.

I have no problem with expediency.
I think you do. You also have one with “edify”. It seems you do not know how to apply or can not apply these terms to the “All things…” found in our passages. This is what exposes that you are attempting to limit the context of what Paul is speaking about. IF Paul is speaking only in reference to body/sexual matters as you have claimed, you can not explain his mentioning of expediency and edifying in reference to this context. The context “All things…” is bigger and allows more than you want to claim. The Corinthians may have been thinking about matters of the body, but Paul is thinking about being “lawful” in “all things” before God!

There are "unchanging" elements to our faith that the bible is very explicit in spelling out. There are many things where God, in His wisdom, stayed silent on, knowing that cultural and technological changes would inevitably make obsolete. He didn't force a premature understanding of things future to the writers of the NT, nor did He deny us the ability to change those things He was silent on as needed. Church buildings, songbooks, microphones, speakers - these are tools that change has allowed us to become more efficient in our delivery. IM, dramas, A/V, etc. - these are cultural items that allow the gospel to be delivered in ways that are more relevant to the current culture, in the same way that gospel meetings/revivals were relevant to culture 100+ years ago. God allows change when it doesn't conflict with non-essential doctrine.
There is partial truth in this statement and therefore it requires some “sifting”. God allows those things (expedients) that assist man in fulfilling His requirements to worship and serve Him in truth, while not altering the commands. (God told Noah to build an ark. Tools were utilized but the end result was an ARK.) This is expediency and the end result is edifying. Efficiency may result – but edification is a requirement.

Things such as IM violate “essential” doctrine, it changes what was commanded – the type of music - sing. “Play” is not the command and is a different type of music, just as a row boat is different than an ark. We are to abide IN the doctrine of Christ. All we do is to be “rooted” in Christ. And there are even deeper meanings for those who grow toward God.

I would expand "edification" to refer to "the heart".
This doesn’t make sense. Edification is a building up – in context, that which builds up the body of Christ. The heart is that from which we act and serve. They work together but they are not the same. If we act and serve according to the WILL of God, then we will be built up.

If our service is according to God’s will then He will be glorified, and not man. Man doesn’t know how to serve God unless God tells man (1 Cor. 2:11). Let’s not fool ourselves that man from the “heart” is going to get it all figured out in humbleness, humility, and love as to how to please God. Man is not on that level! Period! We best pay attention to what God is saying and get ourselves out of the way so that we may serve Him in “spirit and truth”.

(I’ll hold that kite for you a while if it will help…)

Upvote 0

crawfish

Veteran
Feb 21, 2007
Way out in left field
✟10,043.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crawfish –
Please note that in my last post I ASKED several questions in reference to these 2 passages and followed the question with thoughts in reference to the question to present possible information. You answered as though I had taken that position.

I do realize that, but I wasn't able to express myself in a simple fashion. I actually agree with you as to what the passages do NOT mean; I disagree as to the actual meaning. You seem to believe it is a passage to be applied as law; I believe each is a lead-in statement to the conclusion to a multi-chapter argument. I'll rely on the other thread to say exactly why.

I have no disagreement with this. But – how far will you allow the application of this principle to go? To the physical body? To sexual impurities? To “all things” we teach and practice in our religion?

I think ch5-6 and ch8-10 are two arguments - one over sexual impurity, the other over eating food offered to idols. However, both have the same underlying message - one must sacrifice their "rights"and freedoms for the good of God and God's church. That is the generic message that should be applied from here.

It does matter because Paul is not going to say one thing to the Corinthians that doesn’t harmonize with what he said to the Colossians. While Paul may utilize a phrase taken from the Corinthians such as “All things are lawful…”, the spiritual principle Paul is making and recording will be a principle to Christians for all time. This principle must harmonize with all other scripture the HS gave through the NT writers.

While that's true, he's talking to two different audiences about two different sets of issues. He has a different purpose for each letter. They will harmonize, but you have to realize that each letter is NOT express the Gospel in its completeness; it only addresses a a portion of it.

I think you do. You also have one with “edify”. It seems you do not know how to apply or can not apply these terms to the “All things…” found in our passages. This is what exposes that you are attempting to limit the context of what Paul is speaking about. IF Paul is speaking only in reference to body/sexual matters as you have claimed, you can not explain his mentioning of expediency and edifying in reference to this context. The context “All things…” is bigger and allows more than you want to claim. The Corinthians may have been thinking about matters of the body, but Paul is thinking about being “lawful” in “all things” before God!

I agree with both in principle. I just do not believe that the passage in question sets up a precedent for each that we are lawfully obligated to follow.

There is partial truth in this statement and therefore it requires some “sifting”. God allows those things (expedients) that assist man in fulfilling His requirements to worship and serve Him in truth, while not altering the commands. (God told Noah to build an ark. Tools were utilized but the end result was an ARK.) This is expediency and the end result is edifying. Efficiency may result – but edification is a requirement.

If we have to avoid all forms of expedience or edification that aren't mentioned in the NT, we have a lot to get rid of in our current practice. We've been over this before.

Things such as IM violate “essential” doctrine, it changes what was commanded – the type of music - sing. “Play” is not the command and is a different type of music, just as a row boat is different than an ark. We are to abide IN the doctrine of Christ. All we do is to be “rooted” in Christ. And there are even deeper meanings for those who grow toward God.

You know I disagree with this stance. A rowboat breaks the intent of what God wanted to accomplish with the Ark; however, if God didn't specify the shape Noah had no worried if he wanted to make it rectangular. He had total freedom within the bounds that God set for him.
This doesn’t make sense. Edification is a building up – in context, that which builds up the body of Christ. The heart is that from which we act and serve. They work together but they are not the same. If we act and serve according to the WILL of God, then we will be built up.

Edification MUST be done from the heart. It is not a tiresome duty, but an act done out of love and humility for God and His people. If not done with a contrite and loving heart, edification can be at best unconstructive and at worst destructive.

If our service is according to God’s will then He will be glorified, and not man. Man doesn’t know how to serve God unless God tells man (1 Cor. 2:11). Let’s not fool ourselves that man from the “heart” is going to get it all figured out in humbleness, humility, and love as to how to please God. Man is not on that level! Period! We best pay attention to what God is saying and get ourselves out of the way so that we may serve Him in “spirit and truth”.

God is glorified when we give him credit in ANYTHING we do. Don't fool yourself that you, or anybody, has got it "all figured out" - we are all still learning, and imperfect. God does not require perfect implementation; he wants us to continue to grow and learn, with a humble heart. Thank goodness that he does not, we'd all be in trouble.

Upvote 0