Upper midwest
✟69,661.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My opinion is that wine in the bible refers to The Holy Spirit and bread stands for the body of Christ. Christ is the Word of God incarnate. He was born in Bethlehem, "house of bread".
So, when we believers read God's word with the indwelling of The Holy Spirit, eating His flesh and drinking His blood is fulfilled.

Reactions: amadeois
Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Proof please, that they denied they were eating divine flesh?

Fragments from the lost writings of Irenaeus
XIII.
For when the Greeks, having arrested the slaves of Christian catechumens, then used force against them, in order to learn from them some secret thing [practised] among Christians, these slaves, having nothing to say that would meet the wishes of their tormentors, except that they had heard from their masters that the divine communion was the body and blood of Christ, and imagining that it was actually flesh and blood, gave their inquisitors answer to that effect. Then these latter, assuming such to be the case with regard to the practices of Christians, gave information regarding it to other Greeks, and sought to compel the martyrs Sanctus and Blandina to confess, under the influence of torture, [that the allegation was correct]. To these men Blandina replied very admirably in these words: “How should those persons endure such [accusations], who, for the sake of the practice [of piety], did not avail themselves even of the flesh that was permitted [them to eat]?”
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.viii.xiii.html

This is worse than expected, for had they agreed they were eating flesh of Christ, they could have lived. Do you hear what the martyrs say?

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Really? I assure my understanding here is taken from Catholic teaching and I challenge you to show where it is not, and i will change it if it is, or expose your own ignorance. Put up or shut up. Your immature recourse to ad hominem betrays your desperation.

Lol. You keep posting untruths and your own 'ideas' about Catholic teaching! Nothing more buddy!

Like a lot of people who dislike Catholic truths you interpret scripture to suit your very 'own' beliefs. You take some parts of scripture as literal while dismissing others as not literal because they do not fit in with your views etc. Double standards i would say buddy.

God bless you anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul Yohannan
Upvote 0

amadeois

Aug 5, 2016
US
✟16,764.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@antletems

The cardenal and bishops of the RCC dress in purple and scarlet.

The RCC is very rich and the Vatican City is adorned with gold, precious stones and fine linen.

The RCC through the Pope has done business with all the government's on earth.

During War World II, they helped those people maltreatment by the Nazis and the helped the Nazis escape from Germany. Working with both sides. Wow.

Jesus gave a message to His beloved disciple and this institution is the only one that Jesus rattled against. WHY?

Is this institution the intitution of the enemy? I do wonder.

Do you know how to interpret what the word of God says?

I DO WONDER.

Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
@antletems

The cardenal and bishops of the RCC dress in purple and scarlet.

The RCC is very rich and the Vatican City is adorned with gold, precious stones and fine linen.

The RCC through the Pope has done business with all the government's on earth.

During War World II, they helped those people maltreatment by the Nazis and the helped the Nazis escape from Germany. Working with both sides. Wow.

Jesus gave a message to His beloved disciple and this institution is the only one that Jesus rattled against. WHY?

Is this institution the intitution of the enemy? I do wonder.

Do you know how to interpret what the word of God says?

I DO WONDER.

Roman soldiers dressed in purple and scarlet too. As do others!

Many other denominations & cities are rich

Many other religions / denominations have political links.

Many bad people don't make a 'bad' denomination!

Do you realise you are interpreting nonsense and made up stuff?

Don't believe those that hate Catholicism. Jesus said His church, the Catholic Church would suffer but the gates of hell would not win!!!

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Only according to the RCC. Not exactly a reliable source.
The only source at the time is not a reliable source? Jesus said that His Church would never be destroyed.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Do you honestly believe God is impressed by man-made monumemts?
Does not He dwell inside you? Those are the monuments that matter to Him.
Does God dwell inside of you?
What better monument than believing the gospel and having God indwell your person?
Manmade monuments are Man's reaching out to God. God has no need of monuments, but if we worship Him, we will give Him suitable reverence.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"Those who eat my flesh and drink my blood have eternal life" John 6:54
Just asking to help me understand - does that mean everyone who takes part in the mass has eternal life? I've heard that in some churches, the people only receive the bread - is that right?
The "bread" is completely Jesus when the Holy Spirit comes down and makes it so. The "wine" is also completely Jesus when the Holy Spirit comes down and makes it so. Regarding your first question, no, everyone who takes part in the Mass does not have eternal life, only those who are in the right (purified) state.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟376,565.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Fragments from the lost writings of Irenaeus
XIII.
For when the Greeks, having arrested the slaves of Christian catechumens, then used force against them, in order to learn from them some secret thing [practised] among Christians, these slaves, having nothing to say that would meet the wishes of their tormentors, except that they had heard from their masters that the divine communion was the body and blood of Christ, and imagining that it was actually flesh and blood, gave their inquisitors answer to that effect. Then these latter, assuming such to be the case with regard to the practices of Christians, gave information regarding it to other Greeks, and sought to compel the martyrs Sanctus and Blandina to confess, under the influence of torture, [that the allegation was correct]. To these men Blandina replied very admirably in these words: “How should those persons endure such [accusations], who, for the sake of the practice [of piety], did not avail themselves even of the flesh that was permitted [them to eat]?”
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.ix.viii.xiii.html

This is worse than expected, for had they agreed they were eating flesh of Christ, they could have lived. Do you hear what the martyrs say?
You do know that an apostasy committed by force is no apostasy at all? Secondly, the "slaves of Christian catechumens are not Christians themselves, necessarily. Thirdly, it says that the slaves told the tormentors that they heard from their masters that it was actually the flesh and blood of Christ. The tormentors used that information to compell Sanctus and Blandina to confess. At the time, this was not common knowledge to be spread to anyone. But had they denied it, not confessed it, they would have been spared. Read for comprehension.

Upvote 0

amadeois

Aug 5, 2016
US
✟16,764.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
#antletems

This city reigns over the kings of the Earth.

The Roman Empire did not reign all over the earth.

Read Revelation 4 for an alert.

Were the Roman soldiers dressed with gold, precious stones and pearls? No.

The Cardenals and Bishops do.

One hour and then doomsday.

IS YOUR DECISION

I ALREADY PAID ATTENTION TO THE ALERT AND GOT OUT.

May God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amadeois

Aug 5, 2016
US
✟16,764.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus church will never be destroyed because it is a spiritual congregation and not a material church.

Which is the richest church on Earth?

Because of her wealth she will be destroyed in one hour (Paraphrasing Revelation 18:19)

EYESALVE NEEDED, BUY IT FROM YESHUA HAMASHIACH

IS FREE.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟722,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
This is a most interesting thread and I commend the OP for raising the issue. As a life-long Protestant, I have always felt that the Catholics and Orthodox had solid footing for their position, as such seemed to be taught and believed in the Early Church. This may still be true. However, I do not feel as certain as I once did regarding such. One main reason is that what is believed to be the oldest Christian document outside the New Testament, the Didache, does not deny the Real Presence, but neither does it profess such. Hence, this gives me pause to wonder about the doctrine. If it was considered to be a core doctrine of the faith around 80-100 A.D., one would think that the Didache would have mentioned it in no uncertain terms. The Didache certainly tells us that only those baptized in the name of the Lord should partake, but such still fails to tells us if they believed in the Real Presence of Jesus in the bread and wine.

There is no doubt that the Real Presence was taught and believed in the 2nd century, at least to some extent, but the evidence for such in the 1st century is still questionable, at best. It is possible that the doctrine developed over time and that it was either not professed by the Apostles or that they were uncertain about it. Maybe some believed it and some did not? It is very hard to say.

Then we get back to what does the Real Presence mean? Some Protestants certainly believe that Jesus is present in a spiritual sense in the elements, but these do not believe that the bread and wine or juice actually become his body and blood. Some Lutherans and some Anglicans would seem to pretty much hold to the Catholic-Orthodox view, but by no means all. Finally, pretty much all Evangelicals and Fundamentalist Protestants do not view Holy Communion as a sacrament and thus do not even look upon Christ as being present in a spiritual sense in the elements, let alone in a physical sense.

Does it matter what one believes about the doctrine of the Real Presence? Well, one would think that it might matter. Then again, where is the evidence? Do those who hold to the doctrine live better lives than those who do not? Are they more loving and forgiving? Are they more faithful to their spouses? Do they give more to help the poor? Unless I can become convinced that a belief in the Real Presence really makes a difference for the bulk of those who subscribe to the doctrine, then I must come to the conclusion that it probably does not really matter whether a Christian accepts the doctrine or not.

Reactions: PeaceByJesus
Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟84,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But there is only one place where He is always completely present, and every Christian in the world knew it until the Protestant Reformation: in the Eucharist.

Please demonstrate how you know the hearts of "every" Christian prior to 1500's.

Catholics worship the Eucharist because the Eucharist is Christ.

Demonstrate this is true with Biblical evidence.

as He was to His disciples in Palestine for three years. In fact, more so, until the Last Supper, when they too were privileged to eat His body and drink His blood and get Him inside themselves instead of just outside.

Again, demonstrate how Jesus disciples believed this from the Bible.

If Protestants are right, Catholics are the most ridiculous heretics and idolaters imaginable, worshipping bread and wine.

It has nothing to do with Protestants being right. It is whether or not you believe the Bible is the sole infallible rule of faith and is the word of God. [Sola Scriptura]

On the other hand, if Catholics are right, then Protestants are mission out on the most perfect, intimate, and complete union with their Lord that is possible in life.

This sentence does not make sense. What is "mission out"?

Christ is knocking at their door, and they're not opening it because they deny it is really He.

Scripture twisting at it's finest on your part.

I believe most other Catholic-Protestant issues have been negotiated and agreed on. Thoughts?

What do you mean when you say "agreed on"? Are you saying that the Eucharist is the only thing that is different between Roman Catholicism and Protestantism (or the only important difference)? If this is the case, you would be very mistaken.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟722,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
One difference that I do find interesting is that while the Orthodox and Catholics seem to believe pretty much the same thing about the Eucharist, the Orthodox do not have a history of Eucharistic Adoration outside of their Divine Liturgy worship that the Catholics practice outside of their Mass.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The only source at the time is not a reliable source? Jesus said that His Church would never be destroyed.

Interesting thought, if the RCC had ever been the only source for anything. The interesting flip side to that thought is the non-RCC believers were actually the true Church the RCC has never been able to destroy it.

Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟722,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
You do know that an apostasy committed by force is no apostasy at all? Secondly, the "slaves of Christian catechumens are not Christians themselves, necessarily. Thirdly, it says that the slaves told the tormentors that they heard from their masters that it was actually the flesh and blood of Christ. The tormentors used that information to compell Sanctus and Blandina to confess. At the time, this was not common knowledge to be spread to anyone. But had they denied it, not confessed it, they would have been spared. Read for comprehension.

Root of Jesse - The evidence is pretty strong that the Roman part of the Christian world believed in the Real Presence in the very Early Church. However, the Didache is believed to have been composed in Syria. It is possible that the Early Church in Syria and maybe in other areas in the East, did not have the same solid belief in the Real Presence that seems to have been present in Rome and maybe elsewhere in the West, since the Didache is not at all clear regarding the subject. I am not saying that you are wrong. I am just saying that it is possible that the doctrine of the Real Presence gradually became a universally held view, but that it might not have been a universally held doctrine in all parts of the Christian World in the 1st century. Actually, if my hypothetical thesis is correct, the doctrine might have become a universal one eventually because of the honor given to the Church of Rome? Though, even with said honor, that still does not necessarily mean that the RCC view of the Bishop of Rome is right and that the EOC view is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why would Jesus say that his divine flesh was useless? ...

Please notice, Jesus didn’t say divine flesh. I think his point is, his natural flesh and blood is not the point, the spirit is that is transmitted through his words.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Am I to assume that you don't and wouldn't ask another Christian to pray for you... even though Sacred Scripture recommends doing so?
That is not the issue, and it is deceptive to make it so, for the issue is that of praying, including mentally, to unseen beings in the spiritual world of Heaven - which only God is the immediate object of in Scripture - and of presuming that created beings have both the function and power to hear virtually unlimited prayers from earth that are addressed to them, and respond to, which position and power only God is show to have in Scripture.

Elders and angels offering up prayers as a memorial before the final judgements will not provide what you can only wish Scripture did, it, and two-way communication btwn created beings in Scripture required both to somehow be in the same realm, versus praying to invisible beings in Heaven.

And thus it is arrogant and supremely presumptuous to presume prayer to created beings in Heaven is of God, and a practice of at least the NT church, when the Holy Spirit only provides approx 200 prayers in Scripture to God in Heaven, and none to anyone else except by pagans, and instructs believers to pray God in Heaven, and never to anyone else.

In addition to which is the manner which such prayer can extend to.

One would have a hard time in Bible times explaining kneeling before a statue and praising the entity it represented in the unseen world, beseeching such for Heavenly help, and making offerings to them, and giving glory and titles and ascribing attributes to such which are never given in Scripture to created beings (except to false gods).

Which manner of adulation would constitute worship in Scripture, yet Catholics imagine that by playing word games then they can avoid crossing the invisible line between mere "veneration" and worship.

Moses, put down those rocks! I was only engaging in hyper dulia, not adoring her.
moses.gif
Can't you tell the difference?
Also, it's a bit hard to believe that the Church Fathers universally fell into error the instant the final surviving apostle breathed his last.
Which is another misrepresentation of the argument, for i never argued this, but that errors can grow in a short time is easily seen, as the apostles themselves reacted to such. Paul did not affirm ensured perpetual magisterial infallibility but warned that after his departing, even among the pastors, men would arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them. (Acts 20:29-30)

As regards universality, we have nothing remotely close to what all so-called early "Church Fathers' universally believed, especially in early 2nd century, including on the Lord's supper. And from the maybe 3 early 2nd century ECFS which Caths invoke on this we also have other errors. Martyr being one who even taught contrary to Catholicism, while that the Didache spoke of they held to was Eucharistic thelogy is subject to dispute.

And thus what we must do is what the noble Bereans did, that of ascertaining the veracity of Truth claims in the light of the only wholly inspired substantive body of Truth, the Scriptures. And the fact that nowhere in the life of the NT church you do not find what these so-called church fathers distinctively said about the Lord's supper, despite is central and critical importance in Catholic theology, and in contrast to how the apostles taught on issues of central and critical importance, testifies to the Cath Eucharist being a latter development, which is easily a result of a literalistic (as opposes to purely literal) interpretation by the natural man.
Seriously? NOBODY held onto right doctrine starting late in the first century??
Seriously? NOBODY held onto right doctrine? That is simply more misrepresentation and presumption, for we are not dealing with such Truths as the Apostles Creed professes, but one belief among others which a person may hold and yet have saving faith, while we do not know what everyone believed.
Because they all believed the Eucharist to be the Body and Blood of Our Lord. So if that belief is in error, it must have come into the Church very early on and been accepted by everyone.
We do not know what all believed, but that post-apostolic principal figures erroneously held to a literalistic interpretation is not in dispute.
Inspired or not, the writings of the Church Fathers show us what was normative practice and doctrine in their time. Rejecting those things because it doesn't seem to line up with your abbreviated Bible seems a bit presumptuous.
What? You mean that you subject the Scriptures to uninspired men who could differ with each other, and with Scripture, and even with Catholicism? And you think I am presumptuous? Orthodox Judaism does the like. Comparing Catholicism with the NT church does reveal that deformation did progressively become normative practice and doctrine as the former went on, though not to the degree that souls could ot be saved, if if be a relative remnant.

But as the church began with God raising up itinerant preachers follow a Preacher, whom the historical magisterium rejected, so the Lord preserved Truth by doing so later, if not a perfectly as the original.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Protestants know the personal presence of Jesus, because they recognize Him as their personal Lord and Savior (a liturgical formula, by the way). But there is only one place where He is always completely present, and every Christian in the world knew it until the Protestant Reformation: in the Eucharist.
Christians worship Christ because He is God. Catholics worship the Eucharist because the Eucharist is Christ. Under the appearances of bread and wine, He is literally just as fully and truly and really and objectively present to the Catholic who adores Him there and who receives Him there in Holy Communion, as He was to His disciples in Palestine for three years. In fact, more so, until the Last Supper, when they too were privileged to eat His body and drink His blood and get Him inside themselves instead of just outside.

I think this is the most controversial of all the Catholic doctrines. It generated the most controversy and passion and war at the time of the Reformation. Read the history of the wars of the Reformation in primary sources and you will see this.

If Protestants are right, Catholics are the most ridiculous heretics and idolaters imaginable, worshipping bread and wine. Compared with the Eucharist, all the disputes about Church authority, Mary, Saints, Purgatory or Bible interpretation, or baptism, or predestination are almost trivial.

On the other hand, if Catholics are right, then Protestants are mission out on the most perfect, intimate, and complete union with their Lord that is possible in life. Christ is knocking at their door, and they're not opening it because they deny it is really He. They are like 1st-century Jews who rejected their God when He appeared to them in the flesh because they refused to believe that God would come in disguise; they didn't have the faith to see the invisible God in the visible human appearances. Hence, it is they who are the idolaters, being hung up on the physical, the creaturely.

I believe most other Catholic-Protestant issues have been negotiated and agreed on. Thoughts?

This is not strictly a Catholic - Protestant issue because:

1. The Orthodox, who are not Roman Catholic, essentially agree with the Roman Catholic view of the Eucharist, even if we disagree that the change in the elements occurs at the Words of Institution; we say that either the real change occurs throughout the liturgy beginning with the Prothesis and culminating in the Epiklesis and the Fraction, or we say it happens at the Epiklesis. The Assyrian Church of the East has an Anaphora or Eucharistic prayer without the Institution Narrative, which the Roman church has said is acceptable and has authorized Chaldean and Syro Malabar Catholics (who use the same liturgy but with the words of institution added) to attend if they cannot find one of their own parishes, and my church has several in which our Lord is paraphrased but not explicitly quoted (the Syriac Orthodox have the most anaphorae of any church; I believe we have 86, although only a handful of these are commonly used, only one in my archdiocese).

2. The Anglo Catholics agree with the Roman Catholic view more or less precisely. Of course one can debate whether or not they are still Protestant; they are Anglican, but not very Protestant.

3. Luther insisted on the physical presence of our Lord "In, with and under" the species of bread and wine; I believe the Moravians take a similiar view. This approach I do believe is somewhat inadequete, because it fails to explain Eucharistic miracles wherein the blood or flesh have been revealed; I think a model like St. Thomas Aquinas idea of transubstantiation, wherein the perceptual attributes of the bread and wine are preserved for our comfort in partaking of the body and blood of our Lord, is preferrable.

By the way, here is an interesting factoid: in the Eastern Orthodox Church, priests are required to send for the bishop if during the celebration of the Eucharist the gifts should take on a fleshy appearance, lest it should prove to be an evil demonic deception.

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0