The White Hart
Jul 22, 2007
Illinois (non-Chicago)
✟26,223.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Stephen Colbert got it. He called it a degrading competition. I can certainly understand the Peabody award.

However, Miss USA and the state organizations remain valuable for charities. I was dismayed to hear that breast augmentation is a new quasi-requirement.

Supposedly physical appearance is a marker for 'excellent health.' The other requirement is moral character.

The article is excellent.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Miss USA beauty contest has been held annually since 1952 to select the United States entrant in the Miss Universe pageant. The Miss Universe Organization operates both pageants, as well as Miss Teen USA.

The Miss USA pageant was conceived in 1950 when Yolande Betbeze, winner of the rival Miss America pageant refused to pose for publicity pictures while wearing a swimsuit. Pagaent sponsor Catalina decided to pull their sponsorship off the pageant, and create their own competition. Other owners have included a subsidiary of Gulf+Western Industries, ITT Corporation, and billionaire Donald Trump, the current owner who bought the pageant in 1996.

The first Miss USA and Miss Universe pageants were held concurrently in Long Beach, California in 1952; the first Miss USA winner was Miss New York USA Jackie Loughery. There were thirty delegates in the first year of competition, and many states did not compete every year during the first two decades of the pageant's history. From the 1970s, each state and the District of Columbia have sent a delegate each year. Alaska first competed in 1959 and Hawaii in 1960. Both had competed at Miss Universe until this time.

The pageant aired on CBS from 1963 until 2002, and for many years was known for having a CBS game show host as pageant host. John Charles Daly hosted the show from 1963-1966, Bob Barker from 1967 until 1987, Alan Thicke in 1988, Dick Clark from 1989-1993, and Bob Goen from 1994-1996. The show's highest ratings were in the early 1980s, when it regularly topped the Neilsen ratings. Viewership dropped sharply from the 1990s to the 2000s, from an estimated viewership of 20 million to an average of 7 million from 2000-2001. In 2002, owner Donald Trump brokered a new deal with NBC, giving them half-ownership of the Miss USA, Miss Universe and Miss Teen USA and moving them to NBC on an initial five year contract. The pageants were first shown on NBC in 2003.

Historically, the winner of the Miss USA title has represented the United States in its sister Miss Universe pageant. From its inception to 2008, seven Miss USA titleholders have gone on to win Miss Universe. In the mid-1960s, it was established when a Miss USA wins the Miss Universe title, the first runner-up assumes the Miss USA title for the remainder of the year. This has happened in 1980, 1995 and 1997. In 1967, the first runner-up declined the title and the crown went to the second runner-up Cheryl Patton. The only instance where a first runner-up assumed the title of Miss USA prior to this period was in 1957 when Mary Leona Gage resigned when it was discovered she was married.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

Rois

Be strong and take heart
Dec 27, 2008
✟8,268.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Nice article, I love this quote:
....It's not real. And don't you ever forget what is real -- the kind of beauty you cultivate in your heart, mind, and soul when you love and serve God by loving and serving others. Don't forget that your immortal soul is the most beautiful thing you can imagine. And always remember that God gave you great gifts, only some of which you can see on the outside, and none of which requires surgery for perfecting."
(I wish I had someone telling me that when I was younger!)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.