Victoria
✟598,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If there is but one first resurrection (makes complete sense that there is), the rapture of saints appears to occur post great tribulation. See Revelation 20:4-6.
Hi One...

Jesus told us of the two TYPES of resurrection (John 5: 29)

1. to the resurrection of life,
2. to the resurrection of condemnation.

Rev. 20: 4 - 6 `this is the first (TYPE) of resurrection - to life.

The word `first` can mean first in order, or it can mean first as in type. So, put together with all of scripture and especially what Jesus said, we realise that the `first resurrection` means the type of resurrection - to life.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Those who hold the pre-tribulation rapture position, usually site 1 Thessalonians 5:9 "For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ" But this verse cannot possibly refer to Christians suffering here on earth, because Christians have been persecuted since the first days of the church. We find the timing of the Rapture in Revelation 14:14-16 where the Angel harvests the earth - right in the middle of the tribulation, and just before the time of Jacob's Trouble. This timing is affirmed by two passages where we see saints pulled out of the Tribulation in Revelation 7:13-15 and Revelation 20:4.

We are giving the church faults hope by suggesting we will not have to endure the Tribulation. We need to prepare for these troubled times.

The problem with trying to figure out the timing of "the rapture" is that "the rapture" is itself simply not spoken about in Scripture.

The only passage that speaks about a seizing of the Faithful speaks of a seizing of the Faithful up to the returning Christ at His Parousia, "caught up to be with the Lord in the air" in 1 Thessalonians 4. That's not "the rapture", that's the return of Jesus Christ who comes as returning, glorious King and Judge.

Rapturism is a recent theological innovation that has no basis in Scripture or the historic faith of the Christian Church. The Apostles didn't teach it, the ancient fathers of the Church did not know of it, the theologians of the middle ages (both East and West) did not teach it, the Protestant Reformers did not teach it, it is unknown to Catholic, Orthodox, or Protestant Christians of the early modern period.

So changing the timing of "the rapture" from the classic Dispensationalist pre-trib to mid-trib (or post-trib) doesn't benefit anyone or anything; because the doctrine is, in and of itself, unbiblical and unhistoric.

Christ will return.
The dead will rise.
There will be life everlasting in the Age to Come.

All of that is biblical and Christian. But "the rapture" is modern theological fiction.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If there is but one first resurrection (makes complete sense that there is), the rapture of saints appears to occur post great tribulation. See Revelation 20:4-6.
" In the context of Revelation 20, the Greek word πρωτη primarily means FIRST (FOREMOST) IN PREEMINENCE, NOT ORDER. This word can be used both ways, so context must determine its meaning. Some people presume it can only mean first in order; and therefore, that these souls shall be the first ones to be raised from the dead. This is incorrect. For earlier in Revelation, verse 1:5, we find that Jesus is called “the πρωτοτοκος/first-born of the dead.” Jesus was the first among all men to be resurrected from the dead with an immortalized body: no one else of the dead was immortalized on that same day or before. Others will also have been resurrected from the dead prior to the raising of these Revelation 20:4 saints, including those of the dead who will have been “caught up in clouds” to Jesus long before the Battle of Armageddon; as also will be the killed and quickly-resurrected Two Witnesses. 1 Thes. 4:14-17; Rev. 11:3ff.

" So the primary meaning here of πρωτη is that Jesus, along with the 1 Thessalonians 4:14-17 saints, the Two Witnesses, and the Revelation 20:4 saints, are preeminent in the sense of all together being foremost in status of those who will be resurrected from the dead prior to the Millennial reign of Christ. Because in addition to these, non-believers will also be resurrected from the dead prior to the Millennium. But these will arise unto a very non-preeminent “resurrection of condemnation.” John 5:29; Dan. 12:2; Is. 66:24

" Secondarily, those of the pre-Millennial, πρωτη resurrection will also, taken together as a class of people, be first in the sense of preceding everyone to be raised from the dead after the end of the Millennium. All of the immortalized and glorified pre-Millennial group will be those over whom “the second death [will have] no power.” Whereas some of the post-Millennial group will be those over whom “the second death,” “the lake of fire,” will have power. Others from the Millennium, of the ones having been born during it, will undoubtedly become saints and receive glorifies bodies. "

-- excerpted from: The “First” Resurrection of Revelation 20:5-6

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The problem with trying to figure out the timing of "the rapture" is that "the rapture" is itself simply not spoken about in Scripture.

The only passage that speaks about a seizing of the Faithful speaks of a seizing of the Faithful up to the returning Christ at His Parousia, "caught up to be with the Lord in the air" in 1 Thessalonians 4. That's not "the rapture", that's the return of Jesus Christ who comes as returning, glorious King and Judge.
As you yourself admit, the Faithful will be "caught up to be with the Lord." That is the harpadzo/rapture. (Rapture being a derivative of the Latin verb for the Greek harpadzo.)

Nothing in 1 Thes. 4 even hints about Christ "returning [as a] glorious King and Judge." Or setting foot on earth at all. Because He won't at that time; that will come later.

Jesus told His disciples when He was about to go to the Father in heaven, “In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2-3

So, He has gone to prepare a place where He will be in heaven, for us. This receiving and taking of us to heaven will occur at the Parousia, foretold in 1 Thes. 4 and elsewhere.

And we can see the results of these things in Rev. 7:9ff., where "the ones coming out of the great tribulation...[will be] before the throne of God [in heaven]," surrounded by the 24 elders and the angels and the four living creatures. Couldn't be clearer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
As you yourself admit, the Faithful will be "caught up to be with the Lord." That is the harpadzo/rapture. (Rapture being a derivative of the Latin verb for the Greek harpadzo.)

Nothing in 1 Thes. 4 even hints about Christ "returning [as a] glorious King and Judge." Or setting foot on earth at all. Because He won't at that time; that will come later.

You won't find anything about Christ returning back up into heaven and Christians going there in 1 Thessalonians 4 either. Which means we need to take a broad and consistent approach about how Scripture talks about the Lord's Parousia.

There's no reason to separate the Lord's Parousia into two events. Scripture speaks of the Lord's singular Parousia.

Jesus told His disciples when He was about to go to the Father in heaven, “In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:2-3

Do you not believe this is true right now? Do you not believe that the saints who have fallen asleep are now with the Lord? St. Paul says in 2 Corinthians,

"So we are always of good courage. We know that while we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord, for we walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, we are of good courage, and we would rather be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So whether we are at hom or away, we make it our aim to please Him." - 2 Corinthians 5:6-9

So, He has gone to prepare a place where He will be in heaven, for us. This receiving and taking of us to heaven will occur at the Parousia, foretold in 1 Thes. 4 and elsewhere.

That's a claim that requires backing up.

And we can see the results of these things in Rev. 7:9ff., where "the ones coming out of the great tribulation...[will be] before the throne of God [in heaven]," surrounded by the 24 elders and the angels and the four living creatures. Couldn't be clearer.

Which is about the martyrs who have suffered. Compare with the fifth seal in Revelation 6.

"When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the witness they had borne. They cried out with a loud voice, 'O Sovereign Lord, holy and true, how long before you will judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?' Then they were each given a white rob and told to rest a little longer, until the number of their fellow servants and their brothers should be complete, who were to be killed as they themselves had been." - Revelation 6:9-11

I have no agreement with the entire Dispensationalist schema of biblical interpretation--I consider the entire hermenuetic to be in error.

-CryptoLutheran

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
... we need to take a broad and consistent approach about how Scripture talks about the Lord's Parousia.

There's no reason to separate the Lord's Parousia into two events. Scripture speaks of the Lord's singular Parousia.
Absolutely! The anti-type example is when the Divine Presence entered the realm of this earthly world during the Exodus, and stayed here all throughout the events of the 40-year wilderness sojourn and through the conquest of Canaan. Same pattern for the Parousia/Presence in the End Times, of about the same duration. Shown here:

48. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 1

First of a four-part series that shows how the events of the Israelite Exodus out of Egypt, and their subsequent wilderness sojourn and conquest of Canaan, allegorically portray in great detail the full sequence of events surrounding the Second Coming of Christ. Begins with the Seven Spirits. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 1

49. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

The Seven Seals. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

50.The End Times and the Exodus, Part 3

The Seven Trumpets. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 3

51. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 4

The Seven Bowls. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 4

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Absolutely! The anti-type example is when the Divine Presence entered the realm of this earthly world during the Exodus, and stayed here all throughout the events of the 40-year wilderness sojourn and through the conquest of Canaan. Same pattern for the Parousia/Presence in the End Times, of about the same duration. Shown here:

48. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 1

First of a four-part series that shows how the events of the Israelite Exodus out of Egypt, and their subsequent wilderness sojourn and conquest of Canaan, allegorically portray in great detail the full sequence of events surrounding the Second Coming of Christ. Begins with the Seven Spirits. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 1

49. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

The Seven Seals. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

50.The End Times and the Exodus, Part 3

The Seven Trumpets. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 3

51. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 4

The Seven Bowls. The End Times and the Exodus, Part 4

I don't intend to read a bunch of blog posts. Could you summarize why one should take this view?

I think you are making claims that require serious backing up. Can you at the very least, if not offer summarize, provide biblical justifications?

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't intend to read a bunch of blog posts. Could you summarize why one should take this view?

I think you are making claims that require serious backing up. Can you at the very least, if not offer summarize, provide biblical justifications?

-CryptoLutheran
The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

(Part 1 ended with the Judgment of the Elohim and the Beginning of Tribulation.)

The Flight of Godʼs People

Exodus: The Israelites fled “in haste” from Egypt, into the wilderness. Ex. 12:31-33ff. End Times: “…let those who are in Judea flee…” Matt. 24:16 “And the Woman fled into the wilderness…” Rev. 12:6

The 7 Seals of Revelation: Testing and Purification During and Soon After the Great Tribulation

1st Seal, Exodus Antetype: Early in the Exodus, the god-Pharaoh and his nobles mobilized a massive army to conquer and re-enslave the Israelites. Ex. 14:5ff.; Jasher 81:8ff. End Times: A white horse: false christs bent on conquest. “The Serpent [Satan] spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the Woman…” Rev. 6:1-2; 12:15; Matt. 24:5

2nd Seal, Exodus: The army of Egypt was destroyed: “The earth swallowed them.” Ex. 15:12 End Times: A red horse: “wars and rumors of wars.” “…the earth opened her mouth and swallowed up the flood which the Dragon [Satan] had spewed out…” Rev. 6:3-4; 12:16; Matt. 24:6-7a

3rd Seal, Exodus: The Israelites worried about “hunger.” God provided them quail and manna. Ex. 16:2-3ff. End Times: A black horse: food scarcity and famine. The Woman “has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there for 1260 days.” Rev. 6:5-6; 12:6; Matt. 24:7b

4th Seal, Exodus: The Israelites nearly stoned Moses at Meribah (Strife, Contention), where there was no water to drink. Ex. 17:1ff. End Times: A pale horse: pestilence, strife, and overall chaos, including earthquakes. Rev. 6:7-8; Matt. 24:7c-d

5th Seal, Exodus: The sorcery-practicing Amalekites attacked and killed some of the Israelites. God swore eternal vengeance against Amalek. Ex. 17:8ff.; Deut. 25:17-19; Jasher 81:52ff. End Times: Martyrdom of some of Godʼs people, who cry out to God to “avenge” them. Rev. 6:9-11; Matt. 24:9-11

Exodus: Shortly before the LORD came down upon Mount Sinai, He told the Israelites: “I bore you on eaglesʼ wings, and brought you unto myself.” Ex. 19:4 End Times: “…the Woman [is] given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place.” Rev. 12:14

Exodus: “And the LORD said to Moses at Mount Sinai, ʻBehold, I come to you in the thick cloud…let them [the Israelites] be ready.ʼ” Ex. 19:9,11 End Times: Said to the gathered-out End Time virgins: “ʻBehold, the Bridegroom cometh…’ [Soon after,] those who were ready went in with Him to the wedding.” Matt. 25:6, 10

6th Seal, Exodus: Thick darkness, earthquake, Godʼs trumpet sounding. The LORD descended upon Mount Sinai in clouds of smoke; most people cowered away from His Presence. Ex. 19:16ff.; 20:18 End Times: Thick darkness, earthquake, Godʼs trumpet sounding. Jesus descends in the clouds; most people are greatly afraid and hide themselves. Rev. 6:12-17; 1 Thes. 4:16; Matt. 24:29-30

Exodus: The LORD called the elect of Israel up to Him on cloud-covered earthly Mount Sinai. Ex. 24:1, 9 End Times: Christ calls his elect up to Him in the clouds, unto the heavenly Mount Zion. Matt. 24:31; 1 Thes. 4:17; Heb. 12:22ff.

Exodus: The 70 elders of Israel were sanctified in Godʼs Presence, then returned to work below. Ex. 24:9ff. End Times: The 144,000 of Israel are sanctified with “the seal of the living God,” and return to work on Earth. Rev. 7:2ff; 9:4

Exodus: “Moses alone [came] near the LORD.” Ex. 24:2, 12-13 End Times: The Manchild has ascended at this time unto Godʼs throne, i.e., into His closest Presence. Rev. 3:21; 12:5

Exodus: Joshua, Mosesʼ “assistant/minister; servant” also remained near Godʼs Presence, both on Sinai and later in the provisional Tabernacle. Ex. 24:13; 33:11 End Times: The Virgin Church, who is being prepared to “serve” before God, also remains in heaven. Matt. 25:1-10; 1 Thes. 4:17; Rev. 7:14-15

Exodus: After nearly a year of “testing” of the Israelites, and preparation of the Tabernacle, the Mosaic “Tabernacle was raised up.” “[T]he congregation drew near and stood before the LORD…and the Glory of the LORD filled the Tabernacle” – fulfilling Godʼs promise to “dwell among them.” Ex. 20:20; 40:17, 34; 29:45-46; Lev. 9:5 End Times: After a period of purification – they “wash their robes” – the ascended ones of the Church begin to “stand before the throne” and “serve” in the heavenly Tabernacle. [See Careers in the Kingdom: Servants of the Priesthood.] They have fully “grow[n] into a holy temple…a dwelling place of God.” “And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.” Rev. 7:9, 14-15; Eph. 2:21-22

7th Seal, Exodus: In Mosesʼ day, a lull in priestly services ensued after the Glory of God filled the Tabernacle: the priests “were not able to enter” it. Ex. 40:35 End Times: There followed a “silence in heaven for about half an hour.” Rev. 8:1

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
The End Times and the Exodus, Part 2

(Part 1 ended with the Judgment of the Elohim and the Beginning of Tribulation.)

The Flight of Godʼs People

Exodus: The Israelites fled “in haste” from Egypt, into the wilderness. Ex. 12:31-33ff. End Times: “…let those who are in Judea flee…” Matt. 24:16 “And the Woman fled into the wilderness…” Rev. 12:6

The 7 Seals of Revelation: Testing and Purification During and Soon After the Great Tribulation

1st Seal, Exodus Antetype: Early in the Exodus, the god-Pharaoh and his nobles mobilized a massive army to conquer and re-enslave the Israelites. Ex. 14:5ff.; Jasher 81:8ff. End Times: A white horse: false christs bent on conquest. “The Serpent [Satan] spewed water out of his mouth like a flood after the Woman…” Rev. 6:1-2; 12:15; Matt. 24:5

2nd Seal, Exodus: The army of Egypt was destroyed: “The earth swallowed them.” Ex. 15:12 End Times: A red horse: “wars and rumors of wars.” “…the earth opened her mouth and swallowed up the flood which the Dragon [Satan] had spewed out…” Rev. 6:3-4; 12:16; Matt. 24:6-7a

3rd Seal, Exodus: The Israelites worried about “hunger.” God provided them quail and manna. Ex. 16:2-3ff. End Times: A black horse: food scarcity and famine. The Woman “has a place prepared by God, that they should feed her there for 1260 days.” Rev. 6:5-6; 12:6; Matt. 24:7b

4th Seal, Exodus: The Israelites nearly stoned Moses at Meribah (Strife, Contention), where there was no water to drink. Ex. 17:1ff. End Times: A pale horse: pestilence, strife, and overall chaos, including earthquakes. Rev. 6:7-8; Matt. 24:7c-d

5th Seal, Exodus: The sorcery-practicing Amalekites attacked and killed some of the Israelites. God swore eternal vengeance against Amalek. Ex. 17:8ff.; Deut. 25:17-19; Jasher 81:52ff. End Times: Martyrdom of some of Godʼs people, who cry out to God to “avenge” them. Rev. 6:9-11; Matt. 24:9-11

Exodus: Shortly before the LORD came down upon Mount Sinai, He told the Israelites: “I bore you on eaglesʼ wings, and brought you unto myself.” Ex. 19:4 End Times: “…the Woman [is] given two wings of a great eagle, that she might fly into the wilderness to her place.” Rev. 12:14

Exodus: “And the LORD said to Moses at Mount Sinai, ʻBehold, I come to you in the thick cloud…let them [the Israelites] be ready.ʼ” Ex. 19:9,11 End Times: Said to the gathered-out End Time virgins: “ʻBehold, the Bridegroom cometh…’ [Soon after,] those who were ready went in with Him to the wedding.” Matt. 25:6, 10

6th Seal, Exodus: Thick darkness, earthquake, Godʼs trumpet sounding. The LORD descended upon Mount Sinai in clouds of smoke; most people cowered away from His Presence. Ex. 19:16ff.; 20:18 End Times: Thick darkness, earthquake, Godʼs trumpet sounding. Jesus descends in the clouds; most people are greatly afraid and hide themselves. Rev. 6:12-17; 1 Thes. 4:16; Matt. 24:29-30

Exodus: The LORD called the elect of Israel up to Him on cloud-covered earthly Mount Sinai. Ex. 24:1, 9 End Times: Christ calls his elect up to Him in the clouds, unto the heavenly Mount Zion. Matt. 24:31; 1 Thes. 4:17; Heb. 12:22ff.

Exodus: The 70 elders of Israel were sanctified in Godʼs Presence, then returned to work below. Ex. 24:9ff. End Times: The 144,000 of Israel are sanctified with “the seal of the living God,” and return to work on Earth. Rev. 7:2ff; 9:4

Exodus: “Moses alone [came] near the LORD.” Ex. 24:2, 12-13 End Times: The Manchild has ascended at this time unto Godʼs throne, i.e., into His closest Presence. Rev. 3:21; 12:5

Exodus: Joshua, Mosesʼ “assistant/minister; servant” also remained near Godʼs Presence, both on Sinai and later in the provisional Tabernacle. Ex. 24:13; 33:11 End Times: The Virgin Church, who is being prepared to “serve” before God, also remains in heaven. Matt. 25:1-10; 1 Thes. 4:17; Rev. 7:14-15

Exodus: After nearly a year of “testing” of the Israelites, and preparation of the Tabernacle, the Mosaic “Tabernacle was raised up.” “[T]he congregation drew near and stood before the LORD…and the Glory of the LORD filled the Tabernacle” – fulfilling Godʼs promise to “dwell among them.” Ex. 20:20; 40:17, 34; 29:45-46; Lev. 9:5 End Times: After a period of purification – they “wash their robes” – the ascended ones of the Church begin to “stand before the throne” and “serve” in the heavenly Tabernacle. [See Careers in the Kingdom: Servants of the Priesthood.] They have fully “grow[n] into a holy temple…a dwelling place of God.” “And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them.” Rev. 7:9, 14-15; Eph. 2:21-22

7th Seal, Exodus: In Mosesʼ day, a lull in priestly services ensued after the Glory of God filled the Tabernacle: the priests “were not able to enter” it. Ex. 40:35 End Times: There followed a “silence in heaven for about half an hour.” Rev. 8:1

Thank you for putting in the work.

The problem I have with it is that it seems like a tremendous stretch.

For starters, this all depends upon the assumption that certain passages are "end times" passages. If I don't, for example, understand the Revelation of St. John as being about "the end times", then I can't even entertain the theory being presented.

Let's take a couple examples:

These aren't, of course, the only examples in Scripture of people going into the wilderness or desert to escape. After the Lord was born, the Gospel of Matthew records that Herod committed a great slaughter of the infants, to escape this the Holy Family fled to Egypt. We have, in St. John the Baptist, one who was in the wilderness preaching repentance in anticipation of the coming of the Messiah.

Further, why do you believe Matthew 24:16 is about "the end times"? Why do you believe Revelation 12:6 is about "the end times"?

What this shows is three statements about people going into the desert: Israelites from Egypt into the Sinai desert, those who are in Judea are to flee into the desert for refuge when they see the abomination that causes desolation, and we have the Revelation mention that a woman fled into the desert. Do any of these relate to any of the others? Is there any reason to connect them in a type/anti-type way?

As such, it looks like making certain assumptions, then building upon those assumptions somewhat stretchy interpretations.

And when I look at all the examples given, I see the same basic problem.

I think it would be necessary to make a defense of certain assumptions. For example: Why do you believe Jesus is talking about the "end times" when He mentions the abomination that causes desolation and the subsequent fleeing from Judea? Why do you believe the Revelation is about the "end times"? Those are assumptions that need to be justified.

To provide counter-argument to those assumptions: Jesus is talking about the destruction of the Temple that took place in 70 AD. This follows the context of the Olivet Discourse in which Jesus has just finished talking about the destruction of the Temple, His disciples respond by asking when this will be, when will the end of the age be, what are the signs of His coming. The Olivet Discourse is a response to these questions: Jesus provides things to look out for when it comes to the destruction of the Temple. And Jesus talks about how we shouldn't think the end is at hand when we see things like wars and rumors of wars, these are but birthpangs of the world. And when Jesus talks about His future coming, He says we can't know, there won't be any signs to look out for, it will be sudden and without warning. Further, I don't interpret the Revelation as being about the end either, based on the context as a letter addressed to seven churches in the Roman province of Asia concerning visions John had while a prisoner on Patmos. The Revelation does not place these visions as being about the end times, but rather says that these visions concerns things which have, are, and will be. So the scope of the Revelation is vast, certainly the Lord's coming is in the future; but the beast (as an example) was around when John lived, he told his readers that they could identify his name based on the number code he gave them (six hundred and sixty-six).

I simply don't see there being sufficient exegetical reason to take the view(s) you take in how to approach certain biblical texts. It is those things which I believe need some substantive support.

I am, of course, quite happy to provide whatever contextual and exegetical support I can to the way I have come to read and approach certain key texts of Scripture as well.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for putting in the work.

The problem I have with it is that it seems like a tremendous stretch.

For starters, this all depends upon the assumption that certain passages are "end times" passages. If I don't, for example, understand the Revelation of St. John as being about "the end times", then I can't even entertain the theory being presented.
Which means you are starting from a closed-mind, already-determined position. Just like the Pharisees and scribes did with Jesus.
Let's take a couple examples:

These aren't, of course, the only examples in Scripture of people going into the wilderness or desert to escape. After the Lord was born, the Gospel of Matthew records that Herod committed a great slaughter of the infants, to escape this the Holy Family fled to Egypt. We have, in St. John the Baptist, one who was in the wilderness preaching repentance in anticipation of the coming of the Messiah.
Neither of you two examples are of masses of peoples, only a single family and individual. Whereas what I show in both cases is of assemblies of peoples.
Further, why do you believe Matthew 24:16 is about "the end times"? Why do you believe Revelation 12:6 is about "the end times"?
Because neither prophecy has been fulfilled.
What this shows is three statements about people going into the desert: Israelites from Egypt into the Sinai desert, those who are in Judea are to flee into the desert for refuge when they see the abomination that causes desolation, and we have the Revelation mention that a woman fled into the desert. Do any of these relate to any of the others? Is there any reason to connect them in a type/anti-type way?

As such, it looks like making certain assumptions, then building upon those assumptions somewhat stretchy interpretations.
Taken singly, you might have a case. Just as certain prophecies about the First Coming of Jesus, if taken singly, could be argued to have taken place without respect to Jesus. But with the sequential list of many different events I presented, the odds of such being merely coincidence is comparable to all of the multiple prophecies about the First Coming being coincidence. Simply not possible in both cases.
I think it would be necessary to make a defense of certain assumptions. For example: Why do you believe Jesus is talking about the "end times" when He mentions the abomination that causes desolation and the subsequent fleeing from Judea? Why do you believe the Revelation is about the "end times"? Those are assumptions that need to be justified.
Because any objective person can see that these things have not yet taken place. People have to really twist and contort the Word to claim that they have.
To provide counter-argument to those assumptions: Jesus is talking about the destruction of the Temple that took place in 70 AD. This follows the context of the Olivet Discourse in which Jesus has just finished talking about the destruction of the Temple, His disciples respond by asking when this will be, when will the end of the age be, what are the signs of His coming. The Olivet Discourse is a response to these questions: Jesus provides things to look out for when it comes to the destruction of the Temple.
Only Luke has Jesus' answers both questions. Matthew and Mark only have His answer to the question of when His Parousia. There was no "abomination of desolation placed in the holy place" in 70 AD: therefore, this prophecy is yet to be fulfilled. Likewise, Christ's visible Parousia accompanied by heavenly and earthly signs and cataclysms did not take place in 70 AD.
And Jesus talks about how we shouldn't think the end is at hand when we see things like wars and rumors of wars, these are but birthpangs of the world. And when Jesus talks about His future coming, He says we can't know, there won't be any signs to look out for...
Complete nonsense:

Matthew 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

These things haven't happened yet; and when they do, nothing about them will be secret.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,737.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Which means you are starting from a closed-mind, already-determined position. Just like the Pharisees and scribes did with Jesus.

Hardly a fair assessment. You know nothing about me, why I believe as I do, or any of my history with topics such as these.

Neither of you two examples are of masses of peoples, only a single family and individual. Whereas what I show in both cases is of assemblies of peoples.

You would then need to demonstrate what that matters.

Because neither prophecy has been fulfilled.

Taken singly, you might have a case. Just as certain prophecies about the First Coming of Jesus, if taken singly, could be argued to have taken place without respect to Jesus. But with the sequential list of many different events I presented, the odds of such being merely coincidence is comparable to all of the multiple prophecies about the First Coming being coincidence. Simply not possible in both cases.

But the Christians in Jerusalem and Judea did flee. They fled to Petra to escape what was coming to Jerusalem when they saw the Sicarii desecrate the Temple. That's something the history books tell us happened.

On this point, I'd argue it's saying that we have the example of Jesus fulfilling the prophecies concerning the Messiah, but still saying those prophecies remain unfulfilled and we still have to wait for the messiah to come.

But let's instead be courteous: I simply don't share your basic hermeneutical framework. That's really all that this is about.

I hold to a traditional set of Christian interpretations of Scripture, which I believe to be biblically consistent and also which Christians have, quite generally, agreed upon down through the centuries. And, as I said in my last post, I would be more than happy to talk through my processes and offer biblical rationale for the views I have.

Because any objective person can see that these things have not yet taken place. People have to really twist and contort the Word to claim that they have.

Let's look at it from the other angle. You say that any objective person can see that these haven't taken place and have to twist and contort Scripture to claim that. But in order for there still yet to be an abomination that causes desolation, there would need to be a Temple standing in Jerusalem. There isn't. Which is why some try to insist that a new temple will be built in Jerusalem.

I want you to seriously consider that. Inventing scenarios, or inventing new doctrines in order to justify our interpretations of the Bible seems a little weird, doesn't it? Because a chief principle of how to read and understand the Bible is that we should exegete--extract meaning from the text itself; not eisegete--insert meaning we want into the text.

If for my reading of the Bible to "come out right" I have to add this, remove that; turn that other thing around and begin creating fairly elaborate theories, scenarios, etc just for my private opinion about the Bible to be right then at some point I've probably lost the plot.

Only Luke has Jesus' answers both questions. Matthew and Mark only have His answer to the question of when His Parousia. There was no "abomination of desolation placed in the holy place" in 70 AD: therefore, this prophecy is yet to be fulfilled. Likewise, Christ's visible Parousia accompanied by heavenly and earthly signs and cataclysms did not take place in 70 AD.

Except, there was. The Temple was desecrated. We can read about it in contemporary accounts, like that of Josephus. The Temple was desecrated, sacrilege was committed in the Temple.

It wasn't identical to the abomination that happened a couple centuries earlier under Antiochus IV, where a pig was offered as sacrifice to Zeus in the Holy of Holies; but a desecration and sacrilege it very much was.

Complete nonsense:

Matthew 24:29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory."

Those aren't signs that tell us we can know when Jesus will return though. If anything, it means that when Jesus returns it will be so loud and obvious that there's no way it can be a secret.

What this doesn't say is that we'll have signs to look at which would tell us that it will happen on this or that day, or on this or that season, or that this, that, and the other thing are all signs that His coming is right around the corner.

There aren't any signs to give us indication about that, because, as Jesus says plainly, no one knows the day or the hour, He comes like a thief in the night, just like the flood in the time of Noah life will just be going on like normal and then suddenly and without warning Judgment. Two will be in the field, one is taken and the other left behind. When Jesus comes in Judgment, the wicked will be taken.

These things haven't happened yet; and when they do, nothing about them will be secret.

When the Lord returns, nothing will be secret. That's right.

Which then would then get us back to the fact that when the Lord returns, it is on the Last Day. Fin, finale, the End. Jesus will come as Judge of the living and the dead. There is no secret coming of Jesus to snatch us into heaven. When He comes, He comes in glory to judge. The dead will be raised, the righteous to life everlasting and the wicked to fire and anguish. And God will make all things new.

If Jesus comes to snatch Christians up into heaven to escape a future period of tribulation, it's either in secret or it's not. If it's not, and everyone quakes in fear, sees Him, knows it's Jesus, and bends the knee to Him then there really isn't anyone on earth who is going to be deceived by the devil or a future antichrist.

Unless, of course, one then adds something, something the Bible doesn't say. In which case, we have that problem.

You began this post by accusing me of being closed-minded and compared me to the Pharisees and scribes.

I am curious, though, how open are you to what I'm saying? Why am I closed minded, but you aren't?

If it's simply because you're right and I'm wrong, then that's just assuming your own rightness and there being an unwillingness to consider alternatives--wouldn't you agree?

For what it's worth, I used to believe as you do now. I grew up in a rapture-beliving, Dispensationalist church. That was my experience from infancy until near-adulthood. And I simply took it all for granted.

When I read The Left Behind books in the 90's when I was in high school, I simply accepted them as biblically accurate accounts of what was going to happen in "the end times".

So I do understand the ideas you're talking about (the Exodus theory, however, is a new one for me I'll be honest). I simply don't share those views anymore, because in time I discovered I could not defend them biblically. I really tried, I really wanted to. But, at least in my case, I had to be honest with myself and realize I simply couldn't defend certain ideas I was raised to believe as biblical. And that, historic Christian beliefs, were more biblically defensible than modern Christian beliefs.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hardly a fair assessment. You know nothing about me, why I believe as I do, or any of my history with topics such as these.
Of course I know, because you've stated over and over that "I hold to a traditional set of Christian interpretations of Scripture." Just like the Pharisees did in Judaism. Traditions when associated with the prophecies have a bad track record. The Nicene era tradition, for example, said that the Church was already in the Millennium, which would end in 1000 years. But they then changed their minds after that period ended. So much for the veracity of tradition.
Let's look at it from the other angle. You say that any objective person can see that these haven't taken place and have to twist and contort Scripture to claim that. But in order for there still yet to be an abomination that causes desolation, there would need to be a Temple standing in Jerusalem.
Wrong. Just as in Daniel's time (see Daniel 9:17), the "holy place" (topo hagio, Matt. 24:15) was the sanctified site of the sanctuary, whether or not it had a temple over it.
I want you to seriously consider that. Inventing scenarios, or inventing new doctrines in order to justify our interpretations of the Bible seems a little weird, doesn't it?
Precisely what Origin and Augustine did, upon whose teachings your traditions are founded.
If for my reading of the Bible to "come out right" I have to add this, remove that; turn that other thing around and begin creating fairly elaborate theories, scenarios, etc just for my private opinion about the Bible to be right then at some point I've probably lost the plot.
See my words above.
Except, there was. The Temple was desecrated. We can read about it in contemporary accounts, like that of Josephus. The Temple was desecrated, sacrilege was committed in the Temple.
The sanctuary was destroyed by fire in the very night it was taken. That doesn't by any means constitute an "abomination of desolation." In the Torah, an idolatrous image is an abomination. Deut. 7:25-26 Neither the Romans nor the Babylonians did any such thing when they destroyed the Temples.
Those aren't signs that tell us we can know when Jesus will return though. If anything, it means that when Jesus returns it will be so loud and obvious that there's no way it can be a secret.
Well, we at least agree on that!
For what it's worth, I used to believe as you do now. I grew up in a rapture-beliving, Dispensationalist church. That was my experience from infancy until near-adulthood. And I simply took it all for granted.

When I read The Left Behind books in the 90's when I was in high school, I simply accepted them as biblically accurate accounts of what was going to happen in "the end times".
When I read them in the '70s, I saw many unsupported presumptions in them, and rejected most of it. Apparently you didn't put much if any effort into comprehending my Exodus/End Times post above, because it is decidedly NOT pre-trib.

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who hold the pre-tribulation rapture position, usually site 1 Thessalonians 5:9 "For God has not destined us for wrath, but for obtaining salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ" But this verse cannot possibly refer to Christians suffering here on earth, because Christians have been persecuted since the first days of the church. We find the timing of the Rapture in Revelation 14:14-16 where the Angel harvests the earth - right in the middle of the tribulation, and just before the time of Jacob's Trouble. This timing is affirmed by two passages where we see saints pulled out of the Tribulation in Revelation 7:13-15 and Revelation 20:4.

We are giving the church faults hope by suggesting we will not have to endure the Tribulation. We need to prepare for these troubled times.
The timing of the rapture is based on when God's wrath will rain down in the Trib. Therefore, what does the Bible say about when wrath will occur? The Lord says, "I inflict punishment on you in anger and in wrath." The examples given are "more and more famine ... wild beasts ... and ... plague" in the verses below:

Ezekiel 5: 15-17 (NIV): 15 You will be a reproach and a taunt, a warning and an object of horror to the nations around you when I inflict punishment on you in anger and in wrath and with stinging rebuke. I the Lord have spoken. 16 When I shoot at you with my deadly and destructive arrows of famine, I will shoot to destroy you. I will bring more and more famine upon you and cut off your supply of food. 17 I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will leave you childless. Plague and bloodshed will sweep through you, and I will bring the sword against you. I the Lord have spoken.”

The earliest these wrathful rebukes are found in Revelation, are in Rev 6:8, which is part of the 4th seal.

Therefore, 1 Th 1:10 and Rev 3:10 both say we will not enter the Trib because God's wrath starts on day 1 of the Trib.

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I much more understand the mid- tribulation rapture view rather than the post-tribulation. Like what would even be the point?

The reason why I believe it's pre rather than mid is that the Church is in Heaven from chapter 4 (revelation). Only then we have the 4 horsemen of which the first represents (maybe even is, but I don't think so) the antichrist.

Another reason is in Luke 21:36
"Be alert at all times, praying that you may have the strength to escape all these things that will take place, and to stand before the Son of Man". This for me means the rapture will happen before.

Also looking at the famous text in 2 Thess 2, it appears to me the Church is raptured before the antichrist is revealed which will be at the beginning of the 7 year period (I know some believe this will be after 3.5 years when he sits down in the temple)

Also we do not know the hour of the coming of Jesus, so when the tribulation starts, I know the rapture is only 3.5 years away.
The timing of the rapture is based on when God's wrath will rain down in the Trib. Therefore, what does the Bible say about when wrath will occur? The Lord says, "I inflict punishment on you in anger and in wrath." The examples given are "more and more famine ... wild beasts ... and ... plague" in the verses below:

Ezekiel 5: 15-17 (NIV): 15 You will be a reproach and a taunt, a warning and an object of horror to the nations around you when I inflict punishment on you in anger and in wrath and with stinging rebuke. I the Lord have spoken. 16 When I shoot at you with my deadly and destructive arrows of famine, I will shoot to destroy you. I will bring more and more famine upon you and cut off your supply of food. 17 I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will leave you childless. Plague and bloodshed will sweep through you, and I will bring the sword against you. I the Lord have spoken.”

The earliest these wrathful rebukes are found in Revelation, are in Rev 6:8, which is part of the 4th seal.

Therefore, 1 Th 1:10 and Rev 3:10 both say we will not enter the Trib because God's wrath starts on day 1 of the Trib.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,752,376.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

This thread was moved from Ecclesiology to Eschatology. Ecclesiology is defined at Dictionary.com as
  1. the study of churches, especially church building and decoration.
  2. theology as applied to the nature and structure of the Christian Church.
    The topic of the Rapture belongs in Eschatology.

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The timing of the rapture is based on when God's wrath will rain down in the Trib.
Scripture says nothing about God's wrath being poured out in the Great Tribulation. That doctrine is solely a presumption added to the Word by men.

God's wrath will be poured out in the time of God's wrath. Period.

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Scripture says nothing about God's wrath being poured out in the Great Tribulation. That doctrine is solely a presumption added to the Word by men.

God's wrath will be poured out in the time of God's wrath. Period.
The proof of the pre-Trib rapture centers on the start of God’s wrath in the Trib.

Ezekiel 5:15-17 say that famines, plagues and wild beasts are sent by God “in anger and in wrath.”

That exact wrath is in Rev 6:8, the 4th seal.

1 Th 1:10 says we’ll be raptured beforehand.

Upvote 0

WilliamLhk

Nov 6, 2023
Colorado
✟15,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The proof of the pre-Trib rapture centers on the start of God’s wrath in the Trib.

Ezekiel 5:15-17 say that famines, plagues and wild beasts are sent by God “in anger and in wrath.”

That exact wrath is in Rev 6:8, the 4th seal.

1 Th 1:10 says we’ll be raptured beforehand.
Ezekiel 5 has God speaking to Jerusalem about His judgment He will bring against her during the 6th century BC. Quite a leap of logic to tie this verse to the End Times. Typical of pre-trib presumptions all throughout this doctrine.

Rev. 6:16-17 is the actual stated time of the commencement of the "day of His wrath, " during the 6th Seal.

Upvote 0

Jeffrey Bowden

Dec 25, 2023
RICHMOND
✟19,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ezekiel 5 has God speaking to Jerusalem about His judgment He will bring against her during the 6th century BC. Quite a leap of logic to tie this verse to the End Times. Typical of pre-trib presumptions all throughout this doctrine.

Rev. 6:16-17 is the actual stated time of the commencement of the "day of His wrath, " during the 6th Seal.
The context is irrelevant. I am citing the same WRATH of God that is described in Ezekiel 5:16-17 (NIV): When I shoot at you with my deadly and destructive arrows of famine, I will shoot to destroy you. I will bring more and more famine upon you and cut off your supply of food. 17 I will send famine and wild beasts against you, and they will leave you childless. Plague and bloodshed will sweep through you, and I will bring the sword against you. I the Lord have spoken.”

That SAME wrath of God is in Rev 6:8 (NIV): I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

The wrath of God begins in the 4th seal. It is widely held that the first four seals will be opened in quick or relatively quick succession. Therefore, God's wrath in the 4th seal can be placed to happen on day 1 of the Trib. 1 Th 1:10 (NIV): and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.

Upvote 0