Kentucky
✟96,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There is no medical need for breast implants.

Breast implants are bad for your health,
and may need to be removed later.
The body rejects them.

It’s like those old ads with doctors telling you to enjoy
the smooth mild taste of cigarettes.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟86,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

The body rejects them.

I am a guy, and this body modification culture has got to stop. :) I will never get a tattoo or anything else. By the way, feel free to read the disclaimer at the bottom of my post first.

Here is why:

Body modification, which includes practices such as piercings, tattoos, and scarification, can have various cons from both a secular and religious perspective. I'll focus on the secular cons first, followed by relevant Biblical verses that some people may interpret as cautioning against body modification.

From a Secular Perspective:
1. Health Risks: Body modifications can lead to infections, allergic reactions, scarring, and other health complications. For instance, poorly done piercings or tattoos can result in infections that may be difficult to treat or even lead to long-term health issues.
2. Cost: Body modifications can be expensive, and the costs can add up quickly for multiple procedures or ongoing maintenance. For example, tattoos require touch-ups and fading over time, which may mean frequent visits to a tattoo artist or even removal procedures.
3. Social Impact: Body modifications can impact your social life and professional opportunities in various ways. Some employers may have policies against visible tattoos or piercings, and certain social circles may not accept these modifications.
4. Regret: People sometimes change their minds about body modifications, leading to feelings of regret or dissatisfaction. For example, a tattoo that seemed cool in your twenties may not be as appealing in your forties.

From a Christian Perspective:
1. Leviticus 19:28: "You shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor tattoo any marks on you: I am the Lord." This verse is often cited as a reason against body modification from a religious standpoint.
2. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20: "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." Some Christians may argue that body modifications go against honoring God with our bodies.
3. Proverbs 20:24: "A man's pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor." Some may argue that the desire for body modifications stems from pride and seeking attention or affirmation from others, which goes against this verse.

*Disclaimer:
Interpretations of these verses can vary among different religious groups and individuals. Some may view them as absolute prohibitions, while others may see them as more metaphorical or culturally-bound guidance from ancient times. Ultimately, each person must weigh the potential cons of body modification against their personal beliefs and values.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,491.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Why are we debating breast implants? It's an elective procedure for the majority. There are also women who pursue that route due to the adverse effects of cancer. People contemplating surgery usually gravitate to websites devoted to the subject with others like themselves. They get firsthand accounts, advice, images and recommendations. They're not coming here.

Surgeons are legally required to disclose the risks associated with these procedures. Cigarettes never had the same mandates. The analogy is incorrect.

~bella

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟86,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Why are we debating breast implants? It's an elective procedure for the majority. There are also women who pursue that route due to the adverse effects of cancer. People contemplating surgery usually gravitate to websites devoted to the subject with others like themselves. They get firsthand accounts, advice, images and recommendations. They're not coming here.

Surgeons are legally required to disclose the risks associated with these procedures. Cigarettes never had the same mandates. The analogy is incorrect.

~bella
Yeah, if B.I. are used for cancer, then that is okay. But, if it is just used for body modification, that money could be used for more important stuff.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟86,899.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
More important to who?
By more important stuff, I mean like food, shelter, etc. But, opinions may vary, so if someone gets a B.I, I will not judge. Folks can do whatever they want, as God gave us free will. :)

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟89,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

The body rejects them.

Since when is what anybody else does with their body any of your business.

I seem to recall that several major world religions are founded around the practice of bodily mutilation... in fact you belong to one of them.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟348,058.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Since when is what anybody else does with their body any of your business.

I seem to recall that several major world religions are founded around the practice of bodily mutilation... in fact you belong to one of them.
Circumcision isn't a religious requirement in Christianity. As far as many Christians are circumcised at least in the US, it's for cultural reasons, not religious ones.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟89,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Circumcision isn't a religious requirement in Christianity. As far as many Christians are circumcised at least in the US, it's for cultural reasons, not religious ones.

I was referencing the OP who happens to not only be Christian, but specifically Catholic.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟348,058.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I was referencing the OP who happens to not only be Christian, but specifically Catholic.
Not a requirement in the Catholic church. In fact there is a great debate whether or not it's even allowed, much less required.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟89,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Not a requirement in the Catholic church. In fact there is a great debate whether or not it's even allowed, much less required.

Yet it's existence in Western culture can be traced to one source... the Catholic Church.

Rather than turn this into a debate about the religious significance of circumcision, let's simply ask @Love365 if he believes that circumcision should be placed alongside the other unnecessary bodily alterations that he seems to find so repulsive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet it's existence in Western culture can be traced to one source... the Catholic Church.

Rather than turn this into a debate about the religious significance of circumcision, let's simply ask @Love365 if he believes that circumcision should be placed alongside the other unnecessary bodily alterations that he seems to find so repulsive.
Circumcision is traced to Genesis. Look it up. The RCC did not invent circumcision.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟89,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Circumcision is traced to Genesis. Look it up. The RCC did not invent circumcision.

Well, duh.

As it relates to this thread however, do you think circumcision should be grouped with breast implants, tattoos, and body piercings as abhorrent and unnecessary bodily alterations? Or are all such body alterations simply an expression of a person's free will?

Except that in the case of circumcision, the person usually has no say in the matter. Which makes it far more egregious than any of the others... wouldn't you think?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, duh.

As it relates to this thread however, do you think circumcision should be grouped with breast implants, tattoos, and body piercings as abhorrent and unnecessary bodily alterations? Or are all such body alterations simply an expression of a person's free will?
Why are you being rude? Point is, the practice of circumcising did not start with the RCC as you claimed.

As far as breast implants, that’s a personal choice a long with looking down the road as far as keeping with the maintenance needed for replacements every 10 years.

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The body rejects them.

So then don’t get them if that’s how you feel…?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, if B.I. are used for cancer, then that is okay. But, if it is just used for body modification, that money could be used for more important stuff.
It’s not your job to tell people how to spend their money, nor is it any of your business, especially given all of us do body modification in one way or another.

Upvote 0

partinobodycular

Jun 8, 2021
partinowherecular
✟89,084.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why are you being rude? Point is, the practice of circumcising did not start with the RCC as you claimed.

I never, ever, claimed that, but I'm doing my best to get this thread back on point, as such:

Since you seem to think that other body alterations are simply expressions of a person's free will, does circumcision stand apart then, because it's traditionally done without the person's consent. Hence, if one finds the others to be repulsive, circumcision should be doubly so.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,688,139.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Upvote 0