United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The problem of bifurcation.
In the early Church we had a dualism associated with Marcion, the heretic, who separated the OT God from the NT God. Today, I see the same tendencies in Dispensationalism, as well as in any extreme form of Grace teaching, where the concept of "law" is completely ignored or deemphasized.

It is also evidenent in Amillennialism, where Israel is rejected as an outmoded "physical" reality, to be replaced by the more "spiritual" reality of a Christian Church. Obviously, this is going to cause some controversy and even emotional protest. But if this kind of conversation is kept "in house," then I think we can focus on our agreements, rather than these disagreements?

So I'm not appealing for more argumentation, as much as for understanding our respective positions. And then, the focus is on what unifies us, despite our differences.

Reactions: Soyeong

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is also evidenent in Amillennialism, where Israel is rejected as an outmoded "physical" reality, to be replaced by the more "spiritual" reality of a Christian Church.
You just won't ever quit this nonsense, will you? Amillennialism does NOT teach that the Christian Church replaced the nation of Israel, so stop misrepresenting Amillennialism already. It's so childish of you to have been corrected about this many times and you continue to do it, anyway.

LOL at this thread supposedly being for "understanding our respective positions" and focusing "on what unifies us". Yeah, right, Randy. Good one. You make no effort to understand Amillennialism properly, so how can I believe you when you say those things? I can't.

Reactions: SashaMaria
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You just won't ever quit this nonsense, will you? Amillennialism does NOT teach that the Christian Church replaced the nation of Israel, so stop misrepresenting Amillennialism already. It's so childish of you to have been corrected about this many times and you continue to do it, anyway.

LOL at this thread supposedly being for "understanding our respective positions" and focusing "on what unifies us". Yeah, right, Randy. Good one. You make no effort to understand Amillennialism properly, so how can I believe you when you say those things? I can't.
As I said we can easily get into emotional confrontation about this. I do not share your view that I've been corrected about Amill many times. Amills like to characterize their beliefs using the language of their choice. When I'm accused of misrepresenting Amill, I don't think it's because I'm misrepresenting Amill. I'm just putting Amill beliefs in language that fits what its beliefs are as I see it.

So when I say that Amills "replace" national, literal, or physical Israel with the Church, I'm using language that indicates how I see it. You don't like the language, and I get that. Still, it's what *I believe* you're doing when you discard Israel's future place in the Millennium as a physical and literal nation in the Millennium, consisting of a predominantly Jewish People. In saying that era is over, which you do say, you are replacing *that conception* with a different conception.

That's where "Replacement Theology" comes in as non-Amills use the term. And I can't really sacrifice the term if I wish to use language that effectively communicates my disagreement with Amillennialism. Dispensationalism separates the physical nation from the Church--the Church being a singular entity inclusive of all Christians from every nation.

But Dispensationalists sometimes place Israel back under the Law of Moses in some sense, at least in part. And in this way they hope to make a greater distinction between Israel and the Church.

In this age they see the difference between Israel and the Church as religious and ethnic differences. Many Jews are adherents of Judaism, and not Christianity. But in the Millennium, if we are to suppose there to be such a thing, Jews will be, we think, Christian. And the only way to distinguish them from Christians from other nations is by their ethnicity and nationality. Dispensationalists wish to add to this some element of Judaism, to make Jews stand apart from non-Jews even more. I would disagree with that.

Covenant Theologians may wish to distinguish the Church as a spiritual entity as opposed to political entities. They may view political realities under God's previous Covenant as being essentially different than the spiritual realities under the Christian Covenant.

I wouldn't agree with this either, since political realities continue under the New Covenant, distinguishing nations from one another. How has this changed from the time Israel was defined, politically, as an actual nation? It hasn't!

So these Covenant Theologians and Amillennialists wish to see no need for a political return of Israel, since they think political distinctions have become irrelevant in the NT era. Is this how you wish to see it?

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said we can easily get into emotional confrontation about this. I do not share your view that I've been corrected about Amill many times.
Then you have a bad memory.

Amills like to characterize their beliefs using the language of their choice. When I'm accused of misrepresenting Amill, I don't think it's because I'm misrepresenting Amill. I'm just putting Amill beliefs in language that fits what its beliefs are as I see it.
Why should a non-Amil try to dictate what Amillennialists believe? Let us tell you what we believe instead of you trying to tell us what we believe.

So when I say that Amills "replace" national, literal, or physical Israel with the Church, I'm using language that indicates how I see it. You don't like the language, and I get that.
And I'm going to let you know about that. Every time. You see it wrong. Imagine if I was in charge of defining what premillenialists believe. Do you think that would make sense? It surely doesn't. I will let premillenialists define what they believe rather than trying to tell them what they believe because that's the respectful thing to do. Why can't you do the same when it comes to Amillennialism?

Still, it's what *I believe* you're doing when you discard Israel's future place in the Millennium as a physical and literal nation in the Millennium, consisting of a predominantly Jewish People. In saying that era is over, which you do say, you are replacing *that conception* with a different conception.
Replacing a conception of what the Millennium entails is not a case of replacing the nation of Israel with the church. We don't even see the Millennium as being in the future, so how can we be replacing the nation of Israel in the future with the church during a time period that we don't even believe will occur? That makes no sense.

That's where "Replacement Theology" comes in as non-Amills use the term. And I can't really sacrifice the term if I wish to use language that effectively communicates my disagreement with Amillennialism. Dispensationalism separates the physical nation from the Church--the Church being a singular entity inclusive of all Christians from every nation.
Amillennialism doesn't have anyone being replaced, but rather has Gentile believers being added to (or grafted into) the entity that Jewish believers were in (see Romans 11) to join with them as one body under Christ, so you are misrepresenting our view whether you acknowledge it or not. Being joined together with Jewish believers doesn't result in anyone being replaced. It was a mystery in Old Testament times, but it was revealed in New Testament times that God's plan all along was to make the Gentiles fellow heirs with the Jews of His promises (Ephesians 3:1-6). That's not a case of anyone being replaced, that's a case of God graciously offering both Jews and Gentiles what was thought to only be offered to the Jews in times past.

Covenant Theologians may wish to distinguish the Church as a spiritual entity as opposed to political entities. They may view political realities under God's previous Covenant as being essentially different than the spiritual realities under the Christian Covenant.

I wouldn't agree with this either, since political realities continue under the New Covenant, distinguishing nations from one another. How has this changed from the time Israel was defined, politically, as an actual nation? It hasn't!

So these Covenant Theologians and Amillennialists wish to see no need for a political return of Israel, since they think political distinctions have become irrelevant in the NT era. Is this how you wish to see it?
It's how I do see it. My focus is not on politics, but rather how Jesus Christ graciously and miraculously brought Jew and Gentile believers together as one body in His church. And how Jew and Gentile believers together are fellow heirs of the promises God made to His people (Ephesians 3:1-6). Making distinctions between Jews and Gentiles makes no sense in light of New Testament scripture. We (Jew and Gentile Christians) are all together as one and that is something to be celebrated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Then you have a bad memory.
My memory is fine. I don't agree that I was actually corrected, because I don't believe I was wrong. I do recall that you and others like you have *tried* to correct me, to get me to use your language of choice. But it never has been an actual "correction" to me.
Why should a non-Amil try to dictate what Amillennialists believe? Let us tell you what we believe instead of you trying to tell us what we believe.
It is not a dictation to Amills of my preferred use of language for your belief system. It is a matter of my choice of language to distinguish clearly the facts as I see them.

I was raised in an Amillennial denomination, in an Amillennial environment. I never thought in Dispensationalist terms at all--not until I'd been in church for 17 years. That, incidentally, is how old I was when introduced to different thinking.

I know the difference, and I've had about 50 years to think about the differences. I don't agree with you on your choice of language to describe those differences. Language control is what one uses when he wishes to control the ideas, as opposed to exchanging ideas.
Replacing a conception of what the Millennium entails is not a case of replacing the nation of Israel with the church. We don't even see the Millennium as being in the future, so how can we be replacing the nation of Israel in the future with the church during a time period that we don't even believe will occur? That makes no sense.
My language of "replacement" doesn't make sense to you because you don't spend enough time thinking about what I'm saying. I'm not saying Amills believe in a Millennium!

I was describing how Premills see a literal Millennium, distinguishing between Israel as a political unit from other nations as political units. It is the common language we use depicting nations as distinct entities.

But Covenant Theology seems to dismiss the value of political differences in the interest of focusing upon our spiritual unity. These things, for Premillennialists, are not opposing concepts. They do not contradict one another.

One can have distinct political nations, and at the same time a spiritual unity across political boundaries. But the importance of political, national distinctions is important for the Premillennialist, and is, as you say, also recognized to some extent by the Amillennialist.

As far as the language of "replacement," I know you don't dismiss the political reality of national Israel. You just don't see it as critical to prophetic fulfillment.

You dismiss the importance of political Israel for the Church. That is what we call "Replacement Theology." It is true, and you just don't like it. You remove "political Israel" from the equation describing the Church. And you "remove" the language of "political Israel" in this context to do so.

I do understand that my use of language describing the "replacement" of political Israel in the destiny of the Church is a challenge to your position. You "replace" Israel in the Church with a small remnant of Jewish believers, as opposed to a true political state, a true nation. This is accurately describing a kind of "replacement" you and Amillennialism indulge in!

But I have every right to describe your belief as a non-Amillennialist--as much right as you have to describe my own position as wrong. Owning a bad theology doesn't make your choice of language, to weaken opposition, a real defense.

You may know the language you like to use, but that language may be very inconsistent with how the Bible describes the political reality of Israel, and nations, in the fulfillment of biblical prophecy.

And the biblical language of the Millennium, given in Rev 20, may legitimately be viewed as symbolic or literal, depending upon the broader context of biblical prophecy. It really depends on whether we see the political definition of Israel fitting into God's prophetic plans for the future or not.

You in this sense "replace" a political Israel with the international Church in a current Millennium because *you deny a literal Millennium* will even take place in the future. In doing this, you "replace" the promise of a future political Israel with something occurring today that does not fit "saved Israel."

Amillennialism doesn't have anyone being replaced, but rather has Gentile believers being added to (or grafted into) the entity that Jewish believers were in (see Romans 11) to join with them as one body under Christ, so you are misrepresenting our view whether you acknowledge it or not.
I don't acknowledge it because you've just described in essence what our use of the word "replacement" means. It is the replacement of a sensible use of the word "Israel" for a spiritualized concept that includes other nations. That is, for me, an inconsistent use of the language. It is a form of spiritualizing the use of words to make them fit a particular theology.

Amillennialism wouldn't work unless it began with the idea that Israel is eternally dead as a nation to God and cannot possibly be recovered in a future age. And so, the word "Israel" is converted into a different entity including more than one nation. I find that challenging! ;)
Being joined together with Jewish believers doesn't result in anyone being replaced. It was a mystery in Old Testament times, but it was revealed in New Testament times that God's plan all along was to make the Gentiles fellow heirs with the Jews of His promises (Ephesians 3:1-6). That's not a case of anyone being replaced, that's a case of God graciously offering both Jews and Gentiles what was thought to only be offered to the Jews in times past.
You are not representing how we use the word "replacement." I completely agree that Gentiles have been added to the Jews to form a single international Church. But that isn't incompatible with their being political distinctions between nations in God's current and future plans.
It's how I do see it. My focus is not on politics, but rather how Jesus Christ graciously and miraculously brought Jew and Gentile believers together as one body in His church. And how Jew and Gentile believers together are fellow heirs of the promises God made to His people (Ephesians 3:1-6). Making distinctions between Jews and Gentiles makes no sense in light of New Testament scripture. We (Jew and Gentile Christians) are all together as one and that is something to be celebrated.
The distinction between Jew and Gentile is ubiquitous in the Scriptures. It is quite the contrary to what you say. Your theology only covers the essential unity we all have in Christ. It does not even try to address the political distinctions that are implied in biblical prophecies.

Israel is never converted to mean Israel plus other nations. Israel always means Israel, in my opinion. We do agree on the theology of unity, however. I just don't agree that you're in the least "correcting me" in my use of language describing what you believe. I've heard it for years.

What you're doing is imposing what you wish to think I mean by "replacement," and then rebut it But you show that you don't properly treat "replacement" in the way I use the term. No wonder you think I'm so incorrigible--you force yourself to believe I'm saying things that are easily rebutted, while ignoring what I really mean by use of the word.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
In the early Church we had a dualism associated with Marcion, the heretic, who separated the OT God from the NT God. Today, I see the same tendencies in Dispensationalism, as well as in any extreme form of Grace teaching, where the concept of "law" is completely ignored or deemphasized.
The set of instructions that someone has given paints us a picture of their character. For example, we can see that someone is wise by seeing that they have given wise laws, we can see that they are good by seeing that they have given good laws, we can see that they are just by seeing that they have given just laws, and so forth for other aspects of their character. On the other hand, wise people don't give stupid laws, but rather only stupid people give stupid laws.

So the Mosaic Law paints paints us a picture of the character of the God of Israel. If the God of Israel had chosen to instead command things like to commit adultery or murder, then that would have painted a very different picture of His character. So position that the NT involves following a different set of laws than the Mosaic Law is the position that that the NT involves following a different God with a different set of character traits than that of the God of Israel. However, the reality is that the New Covenant involves the God of Israel putting the Mosaic Law in our minds and writing it on our hearts, so it is made with the same God with the same character as the God of the OT.

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My memory is fine. I don't agree that I was actually corrected, because I don't believe I was wrong. I do recall that you and others like you have *tried* to correct me, to get me to use your language of choice. But it never has been an actual "correction" to me.

It is not a dictation to Amills of my preferred use of language for your belief system. It is a matter of my choice of language to distinguish clearly the facts as I see them.

I was raised in an Amillennial denomination, in an Amillennial environment. I never thought in Dispensationalist terms at all--not until I'd been in church for 17 years. That, incidentally, is how old I was when introduced to different thinking.

I know the difference, and I've had about 50 years to think about the differences. I don't agree with you on your choice of language to describe those differences. Language control is what one uses when he wishes to control the ideas, as opposed to exchanging ideas.
You know that your choice of words is offensive to Amillennialism and can be easily misleading to others, but you don't even care about that. I have no respect for you when it comes to this. I would never use terms related to Premillennialism that Premils would find offensive and find to misrepresent what they believe. Have some respect. Good grief.

My language of "replacement" doesn't make sense to you because you don't spend enough time thinking about what I'm saying. I'm not saying Amills believe in a Millennium!
You very specifically said that you think we see Israel as being replaced by the church. How much thought does it take to understand those words? Not much. The reality is that we see national Israel and spiritual Israel (the church) as two different entities and not as one replacing the other.

I was describing how Premills see a literal Millennium, distinguishing between Israel as a political unit from other nations as political units. It is the common language we use depicting nations as distinct entities.

But Covenant Theology seems to dismiss the value of political differences in the interest of focusing upon our spiritual unity. These things, for Premillennialists, are not opposing concepts. They do not contradict one another.
God forbid that we focus on spiritual things. How terrible. Ugh.

One can have distinct political nations, and at the same time a spiritual unity across political boundaries. But the importance of political, national distinctions is important for the Premillennialist, and is, as you say, also recognized to some extent by the Amillennialist.

As far as the language of "replacement," I know you don't dismiss the political reality of national Israel. You just don't see it as critical to prophetic fulfillment.
So what? I don't have them being replaced by anyone or anything, so using the word "replacement" to describe Amillennialism makes no sense.

You dismiss the importance of political Israel for the Church. That is what we call "Replacement Theology." It is true, and you just don't like it.
It's not true and that statement is utterly ridiculous. Who are we replacing here? No one.

You remove "political Israel" from the equation describing the Church.
What does that mean?

I do understand that my use of language describing the "replacement" of political Israel in the destiny of the Church is a challenge to your position. You "replace" Israel in the Church with a small remnant of Jewish believers, as opposed to a true political state, a true nation. This is accurately describing a kind of "replacement" you and Amillennialism indulge in!
Nonsense! Since when have God's people been anyone except for believers? When has it ever been about nationality rather than faith? We believe that God's people have always been believers, but it wasn't always the case that Jew and Gentile believers were united together as one body, which is what the blood of Christ accomplished (Eph 2:11-22).

But I have every right to describe your belief as a non-Amillennialist--as much right as you have to describe my own position as wrong. Owning a bad theology doesn't make your choice of language, to weaken opposition, a real defense.
Okay, I will just refer to your Premillennial beliefs as utter nonsense then. So, you ascribe to the "utter nonsense" theology. I'm sure you don't mind me describing your Premillennialist belief in that way, right?

You may know the language you like to use, but that language may be very inconsistent with how the Bible describes the political reality of Israel, and nations, in the fulfillment of biblical prophecy.

And the biblical language of the Millennium, given in Rev 20, may legitimately be viewed as symbolic or literal, depending upon the broader context of biblical prophecy. It really depends on whether we see the political definition of Israel fitting into God's prophetic plans for the future or not.

You in this sense "replace" a political Israel with the international Church in a current Millennium because *you deny a literal Millennium* will even take place in the future. In doing this, you "replace" the promise of a future political Israel with something occurring today that does not fit "saved Israel."
Utter nonsense. The church doesn't replace anything.

I don't acknowledge it because you've just described in essence what our use of the word "replacement" means. It is the replacement of a sensible use of the word "Israel" for a spiritualized concept that includes other nations. That is, for me, an inconsistent use of the language. It is a form of spiritualizing the use of words to make them fit a particular theology.

Amillennialism wouldn't work unless it began with the idea that Israel is eternally dead as a nation to God and cannot possibly be recovered in a future age. And so, the word "Israel" is converted into a different entity including more than one nation. I find that challenging! ;)

You are not representing how we use the word "replacement."
Yes, I am. You very specifically said that you think Amillennialists claim that the church replaced national Israel. I'm not representing your user of the word in any different way. I'm simply claiming that you are wrong that we believe that.

I completely agree that Gentiles have been added to the Jews to form a single international Church. But that isn't incompatible with their being political distinctions between nations in God's current and future plans.
You can believe that all you want, but it has nothing to do with anyone being replaced. You can't get that through your head, though.

The distinction between Jew and Gentile is ubiquitous in the Scriptures. It is quite the contrary to what you say. Your theology only covers the essential unity we all have in Christ. It does not even try to address the political distinctions that are implied in biblical prophecies.
You're still living in Old Testament times. Come join us in the New Testament era.

Israel is never converted to mean Israel plus other nations. Israel always means Israel, in my opinion.
That makes nonsense out of what Paul said here:

Romans 9:6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel. 7 Nor because they are his descendants are they all Abraham’s children. On the contrary, “It is through Isaac that your offspring will be reckoned.” 8 In other words, it is not the children by physical descent who are God’s children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham’s offspring.

If Israel means Israel (implying there is only one Israel), then Paul's statement that "not all who are descended from Isrsael are Israel" would make no logical sense. But, if he was talking about two separate Israels there, then it makes complete sense.

Imagine me saying that not all males named Randy who are descended from (insert Randy's parents names here) are Randy. Do you think that would make any sense?

We do agree on the theology of unity, however. I just don't agree that you're in the least "correcting me" in my use of language describing what you believe. I've heard it for years.
I am. You just won't accept it because you're stubborn. You think you can tell us what we believe instead of us telling you what we believe, which is ridiculous.

What you're doing is imposing what you wish to think I mean by "replacement,"
No, I am not! Does it mean anything besides what you said, which is that you believe we replace Israel with the church? If not, then what you said here is false.

and then rebut it But you show that you don't properly treat "replacement" in the way I use the term.
Wrong.

No wonder you think I'm so incorrigible--you force yourself to believe I'm saying things that are easily rebutted, while ignoring what I really mean by use of the word.
Again, do you mean anything different than what you said, which is that you believe we claim that Israel is replaced by the church? If not, then your accusations that I'm ignoring something are obviously false.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You know that your choice of words is offensive to Amillennialism and can be easily misleading to others, but you don't even care about that. I have no respect for you when it comes to this. I would never use terms related to Premillennialism that Premils would find offensive and find to misrepresent what they believe. Have some respect. Good grief.
I don't think we can carry on a reasonable conversation. If you need to control the terms I choose to use, then you're not able to discuss my point of view. On the other thread I leave my arguments with you, if you wish to carry on. If you can't handle it without getting emotionally stirred up, it's time for you to give it a rest.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

It is also evidenent in Amillennialism, where Israel is rejected as an outmoded "physical" reality, to be replaced by the more "spiritual" reality of a Christian Church. Obviously, this is going to cause some controversy and even emotional protest. But if this kind of conversation is kept "in house," then I think we can focus on our agreements, rather than these disagreements?

So I'm not appealing for more argumentation, as much as for understanding our respective positions. And then, the focus is on what unifies us, despite our differences.
The outlandish bastardization of the NT by dispensationalism, in particular Christology and ecclesiology, is too offensive for some to tolerate.

Unity in that case is achieved only by not bringing it up, and simply focusing on our fellowship in Christ, for that doctrine is not a matter of salvation; i.e., depending on the degree that it distorts the NT apostolic teaching, authortative to the church (Lk 10:16), regarding the doctrine of Christ.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The outlandish bastardization of the NT by dispensationalism, in particular Christology and ecclesiology, is too offensive for some to tolerate.

Unity in that case is achieved only by not bringing it up, and simply focusing on our fellowship in Christ, for that doctrine is not a matter of salvation; i.e., depending on the degree that it distorts the NT apostolic teaching, authortative to the church (Lk 10:16), regarding the doctrine of Christ.
A lot of good teaching in Christian history took place through imperfect teachers who supplied the Church with valuable truth that was encased in a greater body of Christian teaching that included errors. I think Dispensationalism is like that because Darby properly taught that Israel, as a nation, will be restored in the Millennium. But as I suggested, there are elements in his teaching that are suspect and should not be accepted, I think.

Common Dispensationalist conceptions that Israel is even in part under the Old Covenant is flat out wrong, and violates the ubiquitous teaching in the New Testament that *Christians are no longer under the Law!* The idea of maintaining certain cultural traditions, as distinctive national observances, is arguable, since holidays and traditions can simply be memorials.

The fact is, each nation has its own history. Sweden was Christianized at a different time and in a different way than England was Christianized. We wouldn't put them into different and separate *theological dispensations!*

Nor would I accept Pretribulationism, which is a doctrine that came through Darby very late in Christian history. It cannot be valid as a modern insertion into biblical teaching which says the exact opposite (2 Thes 2).

Talking about it is what plants seeds so others can meditate on the issues. I've found that my arguments rarely turn heads immediately. But when I say something truly spiritual, and only God knows when, then later the Holy Spirit will bring these things back to a person in a context where it makes better sense.

It's God's work--not mine. But we must continue to treat every problem with the truth, or neglect those who may benefit from it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think we can carry on a reasonable conversation. If you need to control the terms I choose to use, then you're not able to discuss my point of view.
Why is it that you don't care if the terms you use offend others or not? I certainly would not continue using a term related to Premillennialism if premils told me it was offensive and doesn't accurately reflect what they believe.

On the other thread I leave my arguments with you, if you wish to carry on. If you can't handle it without getting emotionally stirred up, it's time for you to give it a rest.
You're not the one to decide when I should give it a rest. That's up to me. It's interesting that you chose not to address anything else I said in my post. You had said "Israel is never converted to mean Israel plus other nations. Israel always means Israel, in my opinion." and I pointed out how that makes nonsense out of Romans 9:6-8. Why won't you address that?

Romans 9:6 It is not as though God’s word had failed. For not all who are descended from Israel are Israel.

If there's just one Israel and "Israel always means Israel", then what Paul said there would be nonsense. All who are descended from the one Israel are not the one Israel? That wouldn't be true if there was just one Israel.

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why is it that you don't care if the terms you use offend others or not? I certainly would not continue using a term related to Premillennialism if premils told me it was offensive and doesn't accurately reflect what they believe.
I've explained this, and I'll explain it again. I accomplish nothing by upsetting you, so my goal in using this language is *not* to upset you. However, the language serves to illustrate how my position views your position. I admit that my language does not adequately express how you wish to use language to express the same position.

But I'm not arguing against your position from your point of view. I'm arguing it from *my* point of view! So you have to develop thicker skin if you wish to hear another point of view other than your own, particularly if the language used is offensive to you.

I'm offended by Mormons who say that denominational churches before them are necessarily inferior and backslidden. But I still maintain good relationships with them, and can easily handle their language, assuming they're not *trying* to be offensive--just stating a position.

I've tried to use words other than "replacement." However, that is how my position views your taking away any sense of national salvation for Israel.

You seem to redefine "Israel" as a "carnal people," when biblically, Israel has been transitory, sometimes being obedient as a people and at other times falling into gross apostasy. Defining "Israel" thus as permanently backslidden appears to me to be a change in the meaning of 'Israel," robbing it of any sense of national restoration.

And you seem to insert a secondary definition of "Israel" as a "spiritual people," eg heavenly Jerusalem, or Spiritual Israel. But you might view my complaint that you're creating "two Israel's" just as offensive as my use of the word "replacement." You may be offended simply because I use language that you think misstates the reality you wish to believe in, namely that there are "2 Israels."

I don't really know how you would be offended, but I don't believe it's the language as much as it is that it suggests you're corrupting any notion of Israel's place in the Bible. And quite frankly, that is indeed our complaint. Biblical Israel is a political state that is to be preserved and restored, as I interpret it. Have a good day.

Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've explained this, and I'll explain it again. I accomplish nothing by upsetting you, so my goal in using this language is *not* to upset you. However, the language serves to illustrate how my position views your position. I admit that my language does not adequately express how you wish to use language to express the same position.

But I'm not arguing against your position from your point of view. I'm arguing it from *my* point of view! So you have to develop thicker skin if you wish to hear another point of view other than your own, particularly if the language used is offensive to you.

I'm offended by Mormons who say that denominational churches before them are necessarily inferior and backslidden. But I still maintain good relationships with them, and can easily handle their language, assuming they're not *trying* to be offensive--just stating a position.

I've tried to use words other than "replacement." However, that is how my position views your taking away any sense of national salvation for Israel.
I already addressed this in another thread, but I'll just say here again that it makes no sense to define a term, replacement theology, differently than everyone else does and then apply that to my beliefs. Anyone else seeing that is going to assume I believe in the definition of replacement theology that they have and not that you have. So, that is why I believe you should find a different term to use that describes how you see my Amillennial beliefs.

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A lot of good teaching in Christian history took place through imperfect teachers who supplied the Church with valuable truth that was encased in a greater body of Christian teaching that included errors. I think Dispensationalism is like that because Darby properly taught that Israel, as a nation, will be restored in the Millennium. But as I suggested, there are elements in his teaching that are suspect and should not be accepted, I think.
Darby's error lies not in the concept of dispensations, but in the major contra-NT implications of his applications of it, which are contrary to apostolic teaching authoritative to the church (Lk 10:16); i.e.,
two second comings,
two resurrections,
two bodies of Christ, etc., etc., etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Darby's error lies not in the concept of dispensations, but in the major contra-NT implications of his applications of it, which are contrary to apostolic teaching authoritative to the church (Lk 10:16); i.e.,
two second comings,
two resurrections,
two bodies of Christ, etc., etc., etc.
That's sort of what I was saying, right? But it *is* Darby's concept of dispensations in particular that allows for these anti-apostolic applications.

The theological separation of Israel from other nations in the rights to presently obtain Salvation is an anti-apostolic teaching. And the Pretribulational Coming of Christ, before the rise of Antichrist, is also an anti-apostolic teaching.

It was taught in the New Testament and in the Early Church that Israel would find political and spiritual Salvation, which only begins in the present age. And it was also taught that the Church suffers resistance in the present evil age, because "Antichrist must come 1st" (2 Thes 2). John indicated that "already there are many Antichrists."

Upvote 0

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That's sort of what I was saying, right? But it *is* Darby's concept of dispensations in particular that allows for these anti-apostolic applications.

The theological separation of Israel from other nations in the rights to presently obtain Salvation is an anti-apostolic teaching. And the Pretribulational Coming of Christ, before the rise of Antichrist, is also an anti-apostolic teaching.

It was taught in the New Testament and in the Early Church that Israel would find political and spiritual Salvation,
Where do we find that in the NT?
which only begins in the present age. And it was also taught that the Church suffers resistance in the present evil age, because "Antichrist must come 1st" (2 Thes 2). John indicated that "already there are many Antichrists."

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟105,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I already addressed this in another thread, but I'll just say here again that it makes no sense to define a term, replacement theology, differently than everyone else does and then apply that to my beliefs. Anyone else seeing that is going to assume I believe in the definition of replacement theology that they have and not that you have. So, that is why I believe you should find a different term to use that describes how you see my Amillennial beliefs.
As I said, I know that, and explained why I *must* use the term. It is necessary to explain to *others* the problem, which is that a proper sense of "Israel" is being "replaced" with an improper sense of "Israel."

Your "Israel" is, to me, convoluted and explained as "2 Israels." This apparent confusion requires that I simplify the argument through the use of a single word, "replacement."

If you can't handle that, that's on you. We're here to discuss differences, and "replacement" is what I believe is a necessary simplification, for others, of what otherwise is too difficult for them to understand.

Should I be offended by you being offended? Perhaps--you're not always kind about your displeasure. So where does it end? You offend me, I offend you, etc.

I think it does involve, in most cases, getting rid of hostile rhetoric. But in this case, "replacement" is not hostile rhetoric, particularly when I'm just using it to illustrate that for me a "replacement" is indeed taking place.

I do understand that many adherents of your position are offended by the label--how should someone who disagrees with your position label you? Naturally, you would want to use a term that appears biblical and non-controversial. And yet, it really is controversial, and the label should clearly state what is being specifically challenged.

In this case, it is the "replacement" of an "Israel" that is going to be saved, in favor of an Israel that will not be saved as a nation, but only as a relatively small group of individuals who are presently Christian. "Replacement" for those of us who believe in an Israel that will be saved as a nation fits our idea, since we feel the idea of Israel's future Salvation is common in OT prophecy.

In a number of places in OT Prophecy Israel is projected as being saved in the coming Messianic Kingdom. But you replace this concept of a future Israel with Israel as it is today, with only a remnant of Christians, and the rest to be judged. For you, there is no future Millennial Age in which the nation Israel can be restored as a People of God.

So yes, you are "replacing" this common view of Israel's future Salvation as a nation with a strictly present "Israel" with no hope of national salvation. You take away from our view of biblical prophecy the idea of Israel's national salvation. It is much easier just to say you "replace" what we believe with something you believe! ;)

For your position, Christian Israel is not a nation, but an entity reduced from nationhood to a small Christian remnant. The future salvation of the nation as a political entity is completely eliminated or "replaced" by just this small remnant. For us that is a redefinition of biblical "Israel." For us, you are indeed "replacing" that with a small remnant of Jews. You are replacing the biblically-promised "Christian Israel" with a small group of Christians in Israel.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Spiritual Jew

Amillennialist
Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2020
MI
✟308,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I said, I know that, and explained why I *must* use the term. It is necessary to explain to *others* the problem, which is that a proper sense of "Israel" is being "replaced" with an improper sense of "Israel."

Your "Israel" is, to me, convoluted and explained as "2 Israels." This apparent confusion requires that I simplify the argument through the use of a single word, "replacement."

If you can't handle that, that's on you.
:mad:

Upvote 0