May 28, 2015
✟619,724.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
He said: "The cross shows us a different way of measuring success. Ours is to plant the seeds. God sees to the fruits of our labors. And if at times our efforts and works seem to fail and not produce fruit, we need to remember that we are followers of Jesus Christ and his life, humanly speaking, ended in failure, the failure of the cross."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/read-pope-francis-yorks-st-patricks-cathedral/story?id=34023376
I think I know what he meant/trying to say, but if that translation is accurate what an incredibly poor way of saying it.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think I know what he meant/trying to say, but if that translation is accurate what an incredibly poor way of saying it.
You got me beat. I don't even know what he was trying to say! Maybe it's a translation problem. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt before calling him a blasphemer.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Yes, there is other ways to phrase things.
I wonder whether the Pope has his statements written for him; I assume he would.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, there is other ways to phrase things.
I wonder whether the Pope has his statements written for him; I assume he would.
Hard to say. Anyone ever see a teleprompter? Given the man's reputation, it wouldn't surprise me if he spoke directly from his heart instead of that of a speechwriter.

Upvote 0

Jesus' Follower

ACCOUNT NO LONGER IN USE
Site Supporter
Sep 11, 2015
-
✟59,217.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hard to say. Anyone ever see a teleprompter? Given the man's reputation, it wouldn't surprise me if he spoke directly from his heart instead of that of a speechwriter.
Never seen it, however thanks for the response.
Perhaps; after all he is the head of many things so maybe.
Translators can also adapt words, that's another factor.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's true, the cross from certain viewpoints was a failure. Getting executed is not being a success. Christ turned it on it's head but still get executed was not being successful.
That may be true, but no Christian would stop with that. It would be imperative to continue on and say that while the crucifixion many have appeared to be a failure, the Resurrection showed that it was an astounding and outstanding *success* (if that term is even appropriate). Those comments by Pope Francis reveal that he does not desire to preach the true Gospel. But that is not news, and we should not expect Bible Truth from those who oppose it.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That may be true, but no Christian would stop with that. It would be imperative to continue on and say that while the crucifixion many have appeared to be a failure, the Resurrection showed that it was an astounding and outstanding *success* (if that term is even appropriate). Those comments by Pope Francis reveal that he does not desire top reach the true Gospel. But that is not news.

Not true. If they were making a point they would stop there, I agree with the Pope the cross was a failure. I understand evangelicals may not be able to understand the idea

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Beloved of God

Apostolic Pentecostal
Sep 23, 2015
Anderson, IN
✟7,796.00
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How in God's name is saving humanity from their sins in a way that was planned a "failure". God never fails! He is God and he doesn't make mistakes. Jesus knew he had to be crucified. The pope is a predecessor to the anti-christ. He is working for the devil.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
From a human standpoint it was a failure and that is the key to what the Pope said as Viren said.

Yes,but to build off what brother Job8 was saying.

We know the rest of the story,we know that it was all for a reason (the most important reason to be accurate). And so,knowing the final outcome,we should only ever see "success"(agree Job8,pitiable choice wording) when we see the Cross.

Evan as an Evangelical Christian,I'm not necessarily sure that that comment made by the pope,above all the things the RCC does,would be a blasphemy that I'd really pick on. But still not a great choice of wording either way you shake it.

-His Servant

Upvote 0

Deidre32

Follow Thy Heart
Mar 23, 2014
Somewhere else...
✟74,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think what is meant that ''humanly speaking'' as he puts it, it would seem like a failure. When we ''seem to fail and not produce fruit'' ...it can be likened to what humans see the cross as...a failure in the world's standards, but not in God's. And we should be more interested in what God's standards are, and not man's. That's my take.

Reactions: topcare
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I've heard all my life that from a human point of view the cross was a failure. 1 Cor. says its foolishness to those who don't believe but to us who believe its the power of God.
So it depends on which way we look at the cross. From my point of view its an amazing expression of love and enough power to deliver us all from sin and translate us into the Kingdom of God. Those that are materialist its just another guy with good intentions who doesn't know now to live in a political world.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's true, the cross from certain viewpoints was a failure. Getting executed is not being a success. Christ turned it on it's head but still get executed was not being successful.
Except that just a few moments before that ridiculous statement, he referred to "God's perspective". So the real questions are (1) why did he avoid mentioning God's perspective as it relates to the Cross and (2) why did he not quote Scripture since he believes that he is the spiritual leader of millions of Christians?

Whatever the human perspective might have been, it was totally irrelevant. God's perspective is that the Cross of Christ represents God's victory over sin, death, Hades, Hell, and Satan and every evil force in this world, and that the blood of Christ was shed for the sins of the whole world. That is what the whole world needed to hear. Since the Pope believes he was on an "apostolic mission" we can safely conclude that a false apostle was presenting a false Gospel to a lost world.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
"there is only one mediator between man and God, and that is the man Christ Jesus." So that leaves out the pope, so up front I'm not any fan of the catholics. With that out there I think it was a ignorant comment. It was Gods plan for this to happen, it was Gods plan for the cross and even when Peter (humanly) wanted it to stop (failure) Christ looked at Peter and told him, "Satan get behind me….." The cross was a success, because it fulfilled GODS WILL. I gotta stop visiting here, the ignorance….it burns my eyes.

Upvote 0

topcare

The Eucharist is Life
Apr 8, 2014
✟12,064.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's pretty evident that many of you evangelicals (not all) or either really ignorant are trying to not understand. It does not take a brain surgeon or rocket scientist to understand that humanly speaking (not speaking or seeing it as God does) the cross was a complete failure. The death penalty is not a success from a human standpoint but we know God turned it on it's ear.

So in context the Pope was telling Priests and Pastors that when it feels like they are failing look to the cross and remember that humanly speaking the cross was a failure but we all know what God did. Some evangelicals got to stop getting their panties in a bunch and get smarter

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0