The poison of racial grievance

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is very much that sort of system in place, and it's called prejudice. Being born a white male in the United States gives you just about every advantage here. To say that doesn't exist is simply being willfully ignorant. Read up on sociology, criminology, and history. It may not be wholly institutionalized, but it very much exists.

Is that a result of being born as a white male or is it as a result of being born as part of a culture?

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom
There is very much that sort of system in place, and it's called prejudice. Being born a white male in the United States gives you just about every advantage here. To say that doesn't exist is simply being willfully ignorant. Read up on sociology, criminology, and history. It may not be wholly institutionalized, but it very much exists.

By "whatcha got," I meant examples. What advantages do whites have over blacks in the USA today? How will HISTORY help me with that?

Upvote 0

Panzerkamfwagen

Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.
May 19, 2015
✟19,002.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What does that even matter? They work together to produce the same result.

Because if it's culture, not color, then racism doesn't have anything to do with it. If black people are less likely to succeed as a result of the culture that they're raised in than say, asians or white people, as opposed to their race, then that the way that a lot of people think has to change.

Upvote 0

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
By "whatcha got," I meant examples. What advantages do whites have over blacks in the USA today? How will HISTORY help me with that?

History exists post-1964. The first two areas of study, sociology and criminology, rely on historical awareness to a high degree. You want some evidence of white privilege? Here it is:

White Privilege, Peggy McIntosh
This is a single article from an entire book, by the way, with many editions. I don't feel the need to really cite anymore, because it's well established that white people have nearly every advantage over non-whites. Just Google "white privilege" and you'll get plenty.

Upvote 0

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Because if it's culture, not color, then racism doesn't have anything to do with it. If black people are less likely to succeed as a result of the culture that they're raised in than say, asians or white people, as opposed to their race, then that the way that a lot of people think has to change.
Racism has everything to do with it. To say otherwise is ridiculous. It's an American culture, not simply the culture each "race" is brought up in. African Americans, Hispanics, and other minorities are bombarded throughout their life with subtle hints at their inferiority. If this problem is every going to change, it's the majority (ie white people as a whole) who need to change their line of thinking.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
History exists post-1964. The first two areas of study, sociology and criminology, rely on historical awareness to a high degree. You want some evidence of white privilege? Here it is:

This is a single article from an entire book, by the way, with many editions. I don't feel the need to really cite anymore, because it's well established that white people have nearly every advantage over non-whites. Just Google "white privilege" and you'll get plenty.

I was unaware that it is well established that white people have more advantages. Why are Asians so successful? I believe it has more to do with culture than the color of your skin. Now I do not deny that the color of one's skin is not correlated with culture but race is not the deciding factor. The simple fact is that everyone who works hard and gets a good education has the opportunity to succeed. You can not expect to sit around and do nothing and still live a comfortable and successful life.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Racism has everything to do with it. To say otherwise is ridiculous. It's an American culture, not simply the culture each "race" is brought up in. African Americans, Hispanics, and other minorities are bombarded throughout their life with subtle hints at their inferiority. If this problem is every going to change, it's the majority (ie white people as a whole) who need to change their line of thinking.

Care to give a examples of the hints of inferiority that "African Americans", Hispanics and other minorities face?

Upvote 0

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
The simple fact is that everyone who works hard and gets a good education has the opportunity to succeed. You can not expect to sit around and do nothing and still live a comfortable and successful life.
That's not necessarily true either. What about women? No one can deny there are disadvantages to being a woman, even a white woman. In everything from the work space to welfare, women often have fewer advantages. Education will help nonwhites and females, it is true, but as a whole only to a degree. Having breasts and/or being born with dark skin will always permanently disadvantage to a degree. It is an unfortunate fact that American culture discriminates against the color of your skin, and your anatomy. History did not end after the Civil Rights Acts (or the Cold War).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Care to give a examples of the hints of inferiority that "African Americans", Hispanics and other minorities face?

If you can't open your eyes and see it for yourself, then no I'm not. Call it a cop out if you want, but choosing to be willfully ignorant is your own choice.

Upvote 0

Ernst Junger

Feb 19, 2012
✟512.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
SPB1987, you are trying waaaaaay to hard to dismantle his arguments.

Why can't we talk about Jewish Privilege? This is the simple and easy linchpin of the whole silliness. Asking Jews to choose between hating gentiles and ethnocentricism will always have them choosing ethnocentricism and end the debate.

Upvote 0

stiggywiggy

Jun 16, 2004
✟2,074.00
Faith
Non-Denom

This is a single article from an entire book, by the way, with many editions. I don't feel the need to really cite anymore, because it's well established that white people have nearly every advantage over non-whites.

Well established, huh? Can't you put it in your own words? I'll give you two words to start with:

Affirmative.

Action.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

It is generally easier to gain employment and promotions when being white. For a more direct example, I know you would be hard pressed to get a job at my current workplace if you were black. I've actually heard "well at least this guy is the right color" said about applicants.

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not necessarily true either. What about women? No one can deny there are disadvantages to being a woman, even a white woman. In everything from the work space to welfare, women often have fewer advantages. Education will help nonwhites and females, it is true, but as a whole only to a degree. Having breasts and/or being born with dark skin will always permanently disadvantage to a degree. It is an unfortunate fact that American culture discriminates against the color of your skin, and your anatomy. History did not end after the Civil Rights Acts (or the Cold War).

In what way can you really demonstrate or measure that having dark skin has a negative impact on an individual in this country? I do not doubt that racism plays an integral role in certain areas of this country. Generally speaking, it is all about intellect, work ethic and culture that will help shape an individual's success in this country. Why are blacks referred to as African Americans? Why not just Americans?

Upvote 0

SPB1987

Jul 29, 2011
✟9,328.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
SPB1987, you are trying waaaaaay to hard to dismantle his arguments.

Why can't we talk about Jewish Privilege? This is the simple and easy linchpin of the whole silliness. Asking Jews to choose between hating gentiles and ethnocentricism will always have them choosing ethnocentricism and end the debate.

I have never heard the term Jewish Privilege. I do not view his arguments as being substantial. I fail to even see how blacks and other minorities are faced with their inferiority through out their lives.

Upvote 0

Leere

Mar 22, 2011
✟8,488.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Well established, huh? Can't you put it in your own words? I'll give you two words to start with:

Affirmative.

Action.

I bet you didn't even read it, did you? I don't need to put it in my own words because 1. you wanted evidence and 2. so many scholars have already done it for me. And yes, white privilege is a very well established fact in the United States. Try all you want to pretend it's really whites being discriminated against all you want, but you'll still be wrong. Reverse discrimination is a joke.

And you know why we have affirmative action? Because African Americans and other minorities have been discriminated against from the start in this country, and have been stripped of countless rights since before the nation's founding (Jim Crow laws, for starters). Whether you like AA or not does not matter. The reasons are indisputable.

Upvote 0