Dec 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I have a history of mild depression, and 2 of my aunties suffered from PND. I have read that eating the placenta eliminates the chance of suffering from PND; but I'm confused where my Christian faith stands with this.

I know that praying against the depression now is the best thing to do - but is eating the placenta really a bad thing to do?

R

RoseofLima

Why would your Christian faith have a problem with you eating your placenta if you choose to? There are recipes out there for things like stroganoff...

Have you thought about medication along with counselling, proper nutrition, proper exercise, and planning for plenty of help and suuport around you at home? Those things will likely make amuch bigger and long term difference than eating your placenta. :hug:

Praying is awesome-- but I have also found that having a concrete plan to deal with things, should they arise (especially when they are likely) to be a wise and prudent course of action.

Upvote 0

jessesgirl

Aspire to inspire before you expire
Aug 1, 2006
Texas
Visit site
✟29,916.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You can eat the placenta? Wow, I did NOT know that!

I suffer from severe anxiety disorder among other things and I am already planning a course of action to take as soon as the baby is born. I am getting back on my medication where I know I need to be, my sister and I are going to start working out, and I have people on standby in case I am overwhelmed. I have prayed about it and God has brought me through the pregnancy med-free...but I feel like in praying for answers, God has provided them for me and it is my responsibility to take action and seek them.

Upvote 0

ConservativeChristian97

I'm conservative, but in a loving way.
Oct 4, 2006
In the South
✟17,219.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with RoseOfLima, there are probably better ways of dealing with PND than eating the placenta. However, if you feel that is the best course of action, I don't see where it would be a sin (it just makes my stomach turn :sick: )

Upvote 0

jgonz

What G-d calls you to do, He equips you to do.
Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It depends on whether you adhere to Biblical food instructions or not... I, in all good faith, could not eat the placenta, as it's not considered a "clean" food.

I do know Many women (on the internet) who have either eaten the placenta, or dried it and put it in capsules to ingest that way to prevent PPD (or hemorrhage after birth). Since I can't do that, I would look at nutrition, herbs, and exercise to ward off PPD.

IMO, pray about it and see how the L-rd leads you. :)

HTH~

Upvote 0

Mum2Be

Dec 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for your help ladies. If I do choose to consume the placenta, it will definitely be chopped up into tiny tablet sized pieces and just swallowed a couple of times a day with water (frozen too - cooking it damages the good steroids that are in it that help to eliminate PND)

Jgonz - the biblical script about eating unclean foods is where I am coming from. I dont suppose you would be able to direct me to whereabouts in the bible I need to read? I cant seem to remember where I have read it before.... Cheers!

And as for getting support. Well I live interstate from all my family and friends. My husband is in the defence force, so we live where we are told to live. I dont like living here; the church we go to doesn't really offer a huge amount of support either. Its very difficult - especially since my obs told me that I'm a high risk pregnancy. I've had 2 previous ectopic pregnancies and the second one ruptured part of my uterus... definitely something I'm praying against for this pregnancy!

Upvote 0
R

RoseofLima

Find the help you need...hire a post partum doula. Find your local La Leche League and start attending meetings during your pregnancy. Find a cousellor now- ask if you can consult over the phone. Ask if there is a PND support group at the hospital- or in town. Be prepared with the medication you will need.

Jgonz- just out of curiosity why is placenta considered unclean? I think it is very cool that it is the only meat one can eat without having killed anything....that still doesn't make me wanna eat it though :) Mine are all in my freezer- awaitng the mythical day when I will bury them and plant a tree for each child.

Upvote 0

RedTulipMom

Legend
Apr 18, 2004
illinois
✟137,834.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
wow! ya learn something new everyday! i have never heard of eating a placenta! What is IN the placenta that is supposed to ward off depression? i never thought of a placenta as MEAT! actually i never thought a whole lot about a placenta at all. i never heard of burying a placenta either! wow!

Upvote 0

jgonz

Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jgonz - the biblical script about eating unclean foods is where I am coming from. I dont suppose you would be able to direct me to whereabouts in the bible I need to read? I cant seem to remember where I have read it before.... Cheers!
Jgonz- just out of curiosity why is placenta considered unclean?

Leviticus 11 has all the food instructions (which animals are clean, etc.). But the Instructions to not eat Blood are all over the Bible... including Acts 15. The placenta is completely engorged with blood... so in a nutshell, that's why I couldn't do it.

What is IN the placenta that is supposed to ward off depression?
The placenta is Chock full of hormones & steroids that some have found to replenish the mom's body after birth. The placenta's actual Function though, is to feed the Unborn baby and make sure the baby gets the right amount of blood/nutrients in his/her system immediately after birth (which is why a health care provider should Never cut the cord immediately after birth~ they should wait until the cord stops pulsing.)

In nature you see that it's instinctual for animals to eat the placenta(s) of their young. But that begs the question, just because Animals do it, is it right for humans? :scratch:

Like I said before, it's a Completely personal choice. You have to do what you feel G-d's leading you to do. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mum2Be

Dec 11, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Visit site
✟7,692.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the help ladies.

Jgonz - I know what your saying about the placenta being engorged with blood - its definitely something that was on my mind. But I also cant fathom how something that sustains my baby for 9 months could possibly be unclean? I am still praying about this for the time being though.

Thanks again :D

Upvote 0

jgonz

Feb 11, 2005
El Paso, TX
✟20,780.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jgonz - I know what your saying about the placenta being engorged with blood - its definitely something that was on my mind. But I also cant fathom how something that sustains my baby for 9 months could possibly be unclean? I am still praying about this for the time being though.

We have all sorts of organs inside us that support us and nourish us... yet they're all engorged with blood, human blood, so they are unclean To Eat. They serve a wonderful and necessary purpose, but they aren't meant for human food.

The baby's body absorbs the nutrients that come through the placenta and umbilical cord, so the baby doesn't ingest any blood. The mother's blood and the baby's blood aren't mixed at all, and shouldn't touch at all (although there is a possibility of this in some sort of medical emergency or c-section). At any rate, the placenta nourishes and sustains the baby, but it's not meant for food (unless the mother makes a conscious decision to do that).

Being "unclean", in this instance, only means that it's not technically "food", not that it's unclean as in "dirty" or "gross".

HTH~

Upvote 0