Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Catholic Encyclopedia

"We need not shrink from admitting that candles, like incense and lustral water, were commonly employed in pagan worship and in the rites paid to the dead. But the Church from a very early period took them into her service, just as she adopted many other things indifferent in themselves, which seemed proper to enhance the splendour of religious ceremonial. We must not forget that most of these adjuncts to worship, like music, lights, perfumes, ablutions, floral decorations, canopies, fans, screens, bells, vestments, etc. were not identified with any idolatrous cult in particular; they were common to almost all cults."

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

The Catholic Encyclopedia

"We need not shrink from admitting that candles, like incense and lustral water, were commonly employed in pagan worship and in the rites paid to the dead. But the Church from a very early period took them into her service, just as she adopted many other things indifferent in themselves, which seemed proper to enhance the splendour of religious ceremonial. We must not forget that most of these adjuncts to worship, like music, lights, perfumes, ablutions, floral decorations, canopies, fans, screens, bells, vestments, etc. were not identified with any idolatrous cult in particular; they were common to almost all cults."

Candles, incense, water and vestments were also used in Jewish worship as well. They are pretty universally used.

Sacrifices were used by pagans and they also happen to be used by the Jews too. Some things are just common. Pagans had books, Jews have books, what religion doesn't?

Christianity's adoption of candles, incense, water and vestments comes from Judaism.

Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

Are we allowed to talk about this here?

You know, the cross looks like a t-- which was part of the Roman alphabet. The Roman alphabet was created by pagans.

Now, one might say that it is far-fetched to say that the cross is pagan - even though the t was invented by pagans and looks EXACTLY like the cross!. But the question is, do we want anything pagan in our churches? Do we want anything that is pagan in part of our religion?

We also know that Jesus is a Greek name. The Greeks were pagan. In fact, the whole New Testament is in Greek!! If you start putting the pieces together, one begins to ask if Christianity is nothing more than the invention of Greco-Roman culture which was PAGAN!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0
S

SpiritualAntiseptic

ted-nugent.jpg
1245329215383-jesus%20christ.jpg

Ted Nugent - Jesus. Difference? Or is there a conspiracy here?

Now, I'm not saying that Christianity was created to sell Ted Nugent albums when his popularity declined, but the question does present itself.

One final piece:
images

Aliens like Ted Nugent.
Furthermore, a lot of the aliens that I see at the local taco trailer are named "Jesus".

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Candles, incense, water and vestments were also used in Jewish worship as well. They are pretty universally used.

Sacrifices were used by pagans and they also happen to be used by the Jews too. Some things are just common. Pagans had books, Jews have books, what religion doesn't?

Christianity's adoption of candles, incense, water and vestments comes from Judaism.

Are you talking about talmudic judaism or Hebrew Old testament practices?

Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
ted-nugent.jpg
1245329215383-jesus%20christ.jpg

Ted Nugent - Jesus. Difference? Or is there a conspiracy here?

Now, I'm not saying that Christianity was created to sell Ted Nugent albums when his popularity declined, but the question does present itself.

One final piece:
images

Aliens like Ted Nugent.
Furthermore, a lot of the aliens that I see at the local taco trailer are named "Jesus".

Ah,

St. Christopher Cynocephalus of Lycia

Saint_christopher_cynocephalus.gif

Kontakion, Tone 4

Your physique was overwhelming and your face horrifying. You willingly suffered trauma from your own people. Men and women tried to arouse consuming fires of passion in you, but instead they followed you to your martyrdom. You are our strong protector, o great martyr Christopher!

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know, the cross looks like a t-- which was part of the Roman alphabet. The Roman alphabet was created by pagans.

Now, one might say that it is far-fetched to say that the cross is pagan - even though the t was invented by pagans and looks EXACTLY like the cross!. But the question is, do we want anything pagan in our churches? Do we want anything that is pagan in part of our religion?

NO! We dont want to share any worship practices with the pagans unless that practice is specifically sanctioned by God's WORD.

We also know that Jesus is a Greek name. The Greeks were pagan. In fact, the whole New Testament is in Greek!! If you start putting the pieces together, one begins to ask if Christianity is nothing more than the invention of Greco-Roman culture which was PAGAN!!

Lolz...you can put the peices together like that if you want. A language is not a worship practice. It's a language.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

laconicstudent

Sep 25, 2009
✟16,224.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Very clever. Lets see your philosophy battle God's Word.

1Co 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.

Certainly, your entire argument is based on a logical fallacy. I don't think God would disagree with me, it is pretty obvious, but I am sorry you think God is opposed to rational thought processes. My God isn't.

Reactions: Philothei
Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly, your entire argument is based on a logical fallacy. I don't think God would disagree with me, it is pretty obvious, but I am sorry you think God is opposed to rational thought processes. My God isn't.

I'm sure he isn't.

Upvote 0

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"In almost all countries, then, we meet with something in the nature of prayer counters or rosary-beads."

Catholic Encyclopedia.

"Among the Phoenicians a circle of beads resembling a rosary was used in the worship of Astarte, the mother goddess, about 800 B.C.! This rosary may also be found on some early Phoenician coins. The Brahmans (worshippers of one of the many Indian gods) have from early times used rosaries made up of tens of hundreds of beads. The worshippers of Vishnu (another false Indian god) give their children rosaries of 108 beads. A similar rosary is used by millions of Buddhists in India and Tibet. The worshipper of Siva (yet another Indian god) uses a rosary upon which he repeats, if possible, all the 1,008 names of his god."

Babylon Mystery Religion: Ancient and Modern - Ralph Woodrow

Deu 12:30 Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise.

Upvote 0

Rocky1960

Feb 10, 2011
✟743.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
http://www.christianforums.com/t7537066/

Another thread attacking the catholic denomination? I think the OP should read this: "Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye." (Luke 6:42)
http://www.christianforums.com/t7537066/

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dr.Strangelove

Sep 4, 2010
✟1,631.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another thread attacking the catholic denomination? I think the OP should read this: "Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye." (Luke 6:42)

Rocky...start a thread on whatever it is that you want me to reform in my own theology.

You think I have a mote in my eye? Ok lets hear about it.

Upvote 0
C

child of Jesus

. The worshipper of Siva (yet another Indian god) uses a rosary upon which he repeats, if possible, all the 1,008 names of his god."

popeshiva.jpg

Pope Receiving the Mark of Shiva, the Hindu God

Shiva (pronounced /ˈʃiːvə/; Sanskrit: शिव Śiva, meaning "auspicious one") is a major Hindu deity, and the Destroyer or transformer among the Trimurti, the Hindu Trinity of the primary aspects of the divine.[2] In the Shaiva tradition of Hinduism, Shiva is seen as the Supreme God. In the Smarta tradition, he is regarded as one of the five primary forms of God.[3]

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hey, the Pagans don't have dibs on all the things created by God in this world. They don't own the trees (Christmas), they don't own the crosses or triangles or incense or anything else you want to throw out there.

Reactions: Rhamiel
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.