Senior Veteran
Jan 31, 2007
✟18,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
INSTRUCTIONS:
Using the New International Version Bible, answer the following questions to this NIV quiz.
Do not rely on your memory. As the Bible is the final authority, you must take the answer from the Bible verse (not from footnotes but from the text).
  1. Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies,__________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."
  2. According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon?
  3. According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?
  4. According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?
  5. In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.
  6. In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________
  7. According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?
  8. According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?
  9. In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?
  10. In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?
  11. In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?
  12. According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?
  13. In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?
  14. John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?
  15. What happened each year as told in John 5:4?
  16. In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?
  17. In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?
  18. What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?
  19. Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.
  20. Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?
  21. Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.
  22. First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?
  23. In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?
  24. Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?
  25. Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"
Conclusion: Little space is provided for your answers, but it's much more than needed. If you followed the instructions above, you not only failed the test, you receive a big goose egg.
(Ed. These are all missing in the NIV.) So now what do you think of your "accurate, easy to understand, up to date Bible"?
If you would like to improve your score, and in fact score 100%, you can take this test using the Authorized (King James) Bible.
Well little sister your right, not all bibles are written with the same wording. But does that mean that the God of the universe is limited to how He can use any sound written version to glorifiy Himself, through those that read it. And of course to show His will and His way. I think not. Your post is alot of finger pointing, and the end of your post is very harsh, and sounds a bit prideful. A little discernment in how you write a post might go a long way in helping and edifying those who might be stuggling with this very topic. Being bold for the faith is one thing but I read harshness and bitterness, and that I'm sure is not what you are reading in the KJV or any other for that matter. Don't mean to offend you, hope this is taken in the spirit it was given, in Christ love.

God Bless:)

Upvote 0
D

DMagoh

Two things I dont understand about KJVO is:

Which revision of the KJV is inspired since it was revised ten times? In 1611 or in one of the years when major/minor revisions took place?—in 1613, 1629, 1638, 1644, 1664, 1701, 1744, 1762, 1769, or 1850? :scratch:

The KJV translators translated the Apocrypha and included these books in the original 1611 edition. If the KJV translation was inspired, does this mean that the Apocrypha is inspired by God also? And if so, why was the Apocrypha removed from later editions? :scratch:

Upvote 0

God_of_Mercy

Jul 9, 2004
✟17,124.00
Faith
Methodist
I was bored so I decided to take this test lol.

Fill in the missing words in Matthew 5:44. "Love your enemies,__________ them that curse you, ______________ to them that hate you, and pray for them that __________ and persecute you."
4But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

with footnote: Some late manuscripts enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you

According to Matthew 17:21, what two things are required to cast out this type of demon?
footnote: But this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting.

According to Matthew 18:11, why did Jesus come to earth?
Footnote: Matthew 18:10 Some manuscripts heaven. 11 The Son of Man came to save what was lost.

According to Matthew 27:2, what was Pilate's first name?
Yes, only his last name is used. Why does this even matter?

In Matthew 27:35, when the wicked soldiers parted His garments, they were fulfilling the words of the prophet. Copy what the prophet said in Matthew 27:35 from the NIV.
Footnote: Matthew 27:35 A few late manuscripts lots that the word spoken by the prophet might be fulfilled: "They divided my garments among themselves and cast lots for my clothing" (Psalm 22:18)

In Mark 3:15, Jesus gave the apostles power to cast out demons and to: ____________
You win here.

According to Mark 7:16, what does a man need to be able to hear?
footnote: Mark 7:15 Some early manuscripts 'unclean.' 16 If anyone has ears to hear, let him hear.

According to Luke 7:28, what was John? (teacher, prophet, carpenter, etc.). What is his title or last name?
His title "the baptist" is not used in this verse but is used in other verses so I don't see a problem.

In Luke 9:55, what did the disciples not know?
footnote: Luke 9:56 Some manuscripts them. And he said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." 56

In Luke 9:56, what did the Son of man not come to do? According to this verse, what did He come to do?
footnote: Luke 9:56 Some manuscripts them. And he said, "You do not know what kind of spirit you are of, for the Son of Man did not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them." 56

In Luke 22:14, how many apostles were with Jesus?
"his apostles" vs. "the twelve apostles"
OK, the number is not specified here but since its a well established fact that there were 12 disciples, I don't see the big deal.

According to Luke 23:38, in what three languages was the superscription written?
You win here.

In Luke 24:42, what did they give Jesus to eat with His fish?
You win here.

John 3:13 is a very important verse, proving the deity of Christ. According to this verse (as Jesus spoke), where is the Son of man?
footnote: John 3:13 Some manuscripts Man, who is in heaven

What happened each year as told in John 5:4?
footnote: John 5:3 Some less important manuscripts paralyzed—and they waited for the moving of the waters. 4 From time to time an angel of the Lord would come down and stir up the waters. The first one into the pool after each such disturbance would be cured of whatever disease he had.

In John 7:50, what time of day did Nicodemus come to Jesus?
NIV: 50Nicodemus, who had gone to Jesus earlier and who was one of their own number, asked,

KJV: 50Nicodemus saith unto them, (he that came to Jesus by night, being one of them,)

interesting...

In Acts 8:37, what is the one requirement for baptism?
footnote: Acts 8:36 Some late manuscripts baptized?" 37 Philip said, "If you believe with all your heart, you may." The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God."

What did Saul ask Jesus in Acts 9:6?
If you read Jesus's answer, you can guess what he asked ;)

Write the name of the man mentioned in Acts 15:34.
footnote: Acts 15:33 Some manuscripts them, 34 but Silas decided to remain there

Study Acts 24:6-8. What would the Jew have done with Paul? What was the chief captain's name? What did the chief captain command?
footnote: Acts 24:8 Some manuscripts him and wanted to judge him according to our law. 7 But the commander, Lysias, came and with the use of much force snatched him from our hands 8 and ordered his accusers to come before you. By

Copy Romans 16:24 word for word from the NIV.
footnote: Romans 16:23 Some manuscripts their greetings. 24 May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you. Amen.

First Timothy 3:16 is perhaps the greatest verse in the New Testament concerning the deity of Christ. In this verse, who was manifested in the flesh?
footnotes: 1 Timothy 3:16 Some manuscripts God
1 Timothy 3:16 Or in the flesh

In the second part of First Peter 4:14, how do [they] speak of Christ? And, what do we Christians do?
Not included, you win here.

Who are the three Persons of the Trinity in First John 5:7?
footnote: 1 John 5:8 Late manuscripts of the Vulgate testify in heaven: the Father, the Word and the Holy Spirit, and these three are one. 8 And there are three that testify on earth: the (not found in any Greek manuscript before the sixteenth century)

Revelation 1:11 is another very important verse that proves the deity of Christ. In the first part of this verse Jesus said, "I am the A______________ and O___________, the _________ and the _______:"

The KJV chooses to restate what was stated in verse 8. Nothing was lost.

Well that was an interesting test. I would say my results are far from a goose egg. Though it was seen that some things were missing. I found the lack of "heal sicknesses" in Mark 3:15 to be the most dissapointing. But were the NIV took out, for the most part, was noted in the footnotes.
The important question is, "did the NIV miss anything absolutely important to my salvation?" The answer is, "ofcourse not"
I found the missing parts to be rather trival and not worth worrying about. Sorry but I will continue reading the NIV I have. I still think it is the word of God.

Upvote 0

SIGMARHO

Jan 30, 2007
Cebu
Visit site
✟15,232.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Read, learn and enjoy....

The History of the English Bible

The King James Bible

“Truly, good Christian Reader, we never thought from the beginning, that we should need to make a new Translation, nor yet to make of a bad one a good one ... but to make a good one better, or out of many good ones, one principal good one, not justly to be excepted against; that hath been our endeavor, that our mark.”

- Preface to the King James Bible

The King James Version was originally a compromise Bible (since back then, the Anglican clergy used the Bishop's Bible and the laity the Geneva Bible). King James I also wanted to do away with the footnotes and comments in the Geneva Bible.

In any KJV, you will notice italicized words. These words were ADDED by the translators to give the text a smoother reading (remember, the grammatical structures of Hebrew and Greek vary widely from 17th century English). Would the KJVO people have us believe that these words were inspired as well?

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
In any KJV, you will notice italicized words. These words were ADDED by the translators to give the text a smoother reading (remember, the grammatical structures of Hebrew and Greek vary widely from 17th century English). Would the KJVO people have us believe that these words were inspired as well?

The debate isn't per se, whether the NIV is the inspired, inerrant, infailable word of God, for, none of the Bibles we have today would fall under this discription. This discription only applies to the original autographs, those papyrus manuscripts written in the handwritting of the Apostles.

The biggest arguement is how the NIV changes some of the intents of the original writers. I've used this before and for the sake of those who have joined late, let me clairify:

In the Greek we read:

"peri de wn egrayate, kalon anqrwpw gunaikoV mh aptesqai:" -1 Cor. 7:1

Roughly translated:

"concerning But what ye wrote to me, (it is) good for a man a woman not to touch. (Word in parenthesis are added by rules of interpretation)

This roughly how it reads in the Greek.

"Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman." -1 Cor. 7:1 (KJV) (Italitized words added)

"Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry." -1 Cor. 7:1 (NIV) (Bolded words are changed words, Italitized words added, bolded and underlined word changed, thus changing the whole meaning.)

While the Greek is realitively easy to decipher once translated, would you want your Bible to be entirely written as such?

While the KJV reads smooth, and two words are added, the context of Paul's original message is preserved.

The NIV however, not only adds the same words the KJV does, it changes two words. One in and of itself is realitively harmless: things/matters.

The other change is the one that concerns me. For my arguement against this look back for an earlier post.

In this instance, the NIV is wrong, plain and simple.

Once again, we must stress that we do not have the inspired, inerrant, infailable word of God as recorded by the Apostles. Those documents are lost to antiquity, gone with the wind. But according to the principle of Textual Criticism, we have the closest rendering that is possible.

If anyone is a student of Koine Greek, I suggest you check out the online pictures of the Textus Receptus, and the p46 and compare them with the NIV.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Let me re-iterate:

DeaconDean said:
the inspired, inerrant, infailable word of God, for, none of the Bibles we have today would fall under this discription. This discription only applies to the original autographs, those papyrus manuscripts written in the handwritting of the Apostles.

But I do believe that accoding to the rules of Textual Criticism, the Wycliff Bible, the Geneva Bible, The Revisied Standard Version, the King James Version, are among those whose contents are as close to the original autographs as possible.

I do not, as a matter of personal opinion, include the NIV as one of those.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

tracifish

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
✟19,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
An mp3 audio sermon.

http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=82603122659

(quote) Brief Sermon Overview: "The NIV is a dynamic equivalent which was translated from a corrupted, counterfeit text by, at least in some cases, corrupt translators. The NIV is not the Word of God. It is not the Sword of the Spirit. It is a corrupt sword forged in the devil's foundry"(unquote)

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

There were threads about the KJV-ONLY debate and i felt that including this subject matter there would obscure the awesome relevance of uniquely identifying the NIV as for what it is. A corrupted version of the Holy Bible that every true Fundamentalist should AVOID.

Comments from other Fundamentalists only please. Let's all observe the posting rules of this area of our Forum. Thank you.
Excellent sermon!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tracifish

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
✟19,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The Holy Spirit ministered to you. Excellent.;)
Yes...and I'm thankful there are people who are contending for the faith once delivered unto the saints....and tremble at the word of God.

dividingsmall.jpg

:amen:

Upvote 0

tracifish

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2007
Visit site
✟19,214.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
IronWill,

How about this? Do you think we can disagree and still be nice to one-another?

Alot of people do not feel what I do about the the bible versions....but they still appreciate the King James...or at least have nothing against it.

And I'm learning here that there are other versions, such as the Geneva and others that are translated from the Byzantine manuscripts.

After learning what I have, I will never be able to consider the NIV and other versions, scripture....but I'm not going to attack other people...I'm going to exress what I have learned...and let others decide for themselves...

I'm hoping my contest will produce righteous KJV graphics, and at the same time, give people an appreciation for the beauty of the King James scripture.

Plus the winner receives 5,000 blessings.

Upvote 0

IronWill

Reformed Godfather
Sep 13, 2005
Mississippi
Visit site
✟8,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't understand. My post is on topic. Not only that, but I'm not disrespectful to those of you who have attacked my views. You have accused me of being non-inclusive...a snake-handler....and a pharisee that lives by the the letter and not by the spirit.

All I want is for people to appreciate the KJV....and I have not accused you of anything.
I'm sorry, I must have missed where I called you any of those. If you would point out my posts where I stated that you were non-inclusive, a snake-handler, and a pharisee, I will gladly apologize. If I did not call you those things, I too expect an apology.

Traci-when you post the same thing in several threads, it's called spam. I have no problem if you decide to do a contest like that, but it's better to post in a single thread about it, rather than post the same thing in several threads.

I do not feel that I attacked you at all Traci, but if you feel that I did by calling your posts Spam, then I apologize. But there was no offense intended.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IronWill

Reformed Godfather
Sep 13, 2005
Mississippi
Visit site
✟8,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's called "brotherly love" i guess in some places. Find a wonderful women who is inspired to honor the Holy Bible and call her a spammer.

...hilarious IronWill.
Perhaps you could look up the definition of spam.

Upvote 0

IronWill

Reformed Godfather
Sep 13, 2005
Mississippi
Visit site
✟8,694.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry, I must have missed where I called you any of those. If you would point out my posts where I stated that you were non-inclusive, a snake-handler, and a pharisee, I will gladly apologize. If I did not call you those things, I too expect an apology.

Traci-when you post the same thing in several threads, it's called spam. I have no problem if you decide to do a contest like that, but it's better to post in a single thread about it, rather than post the same thing in several threads.

I do not feel that I attacked you at all Traci, but if you feel that I did by calling your posts Spam, then I apologize. But there was no offense intended.
*bump*

Upvote 0