GreenEyedLady

My little Dinky Doo
Jan 15, 2002
Missouri
Visit site
✟4,791.00
Faith
Baptist
[font=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]I know there is ALOT more names that just this. I found these on a website. I was wondering, wouldn't it make sense to call Jesus by his given Aramaic name Yeshua when you pray to him? What if people in China kept callingyour name in Chienese? Would that get on your nerves? God is dealing with me in my heart about his. Ill let you know what happens.
GEL

Elohim (God) means ``might or strong one"; it denotes the power and pre-eminence of God and is especially used in relationship to creation and strength. (Genesis 1: 1; Psalm 68: 1)
Adonai (Lord) means ``master, sovereign ruler or Lord" and generally denotes the authority and position of God. (Psalm 68: 32; Isaiah 6: 8-11)

Yahweh or Jehovah (Lord) means most likely the self-existent one (I am who I am or Iam the One who is) and denotes God's personal name and His eternality. It is often used in relationship to God as redeemer and covenant keeper. Yahweh is the most common name for God in the Old Testament. God's personal name was so sacred to most Jews that they feared to write or say it lest they misused it and usually substituted Adonai for Yahweh. Jehovah is an English word created from the other two to stand for God's personal name. (Genesis 2:4; Exodus 3:14; Psalm 68:14)

El Shaddai means ``God Almighty" and pictures God as the all powerful source of blessing and comfort. (Genesis 17:1; Exodus 6:3; Psalm 68:14)

El Elyon means ``God most High" and pictures God's strength and sovereignty. (Genesis 14:18; Psalm 9:2)

El Roi means ``God who sees" and denotes God's personal care and presence (Genesis 16:13)

El Olam means ``Everlasting and Eternal God" and pictures God's eternality and infinite strength. (Genesis 21:33; Isaiah 40:28)

The following are the main Old Testament Yahweh/Jehovah compound names:

Yahweh Jireh means the ``Lord provides" and was used by Abraham when God provided a sacrificial lamb instead of Isaac. (Genesis 22:14)

Yahweh Sabbaoth means the ``Lord of hosts" (hosts is sometimes translated almighty or army) and pictures God as the commander of the heavenly armies. (Joshua 5:14; I Samuel 1:3; Psalm 24:10)

Yahweh Rophe (or Rapha) means the ``Lord who heals" and denotes the physical and spiritual healing power of God. (Exodus 15:26)

Yahweh Shalom means the ``Lord is peace" and denotes the lack of tension, conflict and strife in God. (Judges 6:24)

Yehweh Nissi means the ``Lord is my banner" and signifies that the battle is the Lord's. (Exodus 17:15)

Yahweh Tsidkenu means the ``Lord our righteousness" and signifies God as the only source of true righteousness. (Jeremiah 23:6)

Yahweh Maccaddeschcem means the ``Lord our sanctifier" (or the Lord who makes you holy) and signifies that God is the one who sets people apart and makes them holy. (Exodus 31:13; Leviticus 20:8)

Yahweh Raah (rohi) means the ``Lord our Shepherd" and denotes God's loving care, protection and provision for His people. (Psalm 23:1)

[/font]

Reactions: d0c markus

@@Paul@@

The Key that Fits:Acts 28
Mar 24, 2004
Seattle
✟11,081.00
Faith
Baptist
GreenEyedLady said:
[font=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman]I know there is ALOT more names that just this. I found these on a website. I was wondering, wouldn't it make sense to call Jesus by his given Aramaic name Yeshua when you pray to him? What if people in China kept callingyour name in Chienese? Would that get on your nerves? God is dealing with me in my heart about his. Ill let you know what happens.
GEL
I read a study on this once... And it did touch my heart and opened my eyes as to how I thought God wanted me to refer to His Son...

The only one (in the Bible) that referred to the Messiah as simply "Jesus" was God Himself... :)

Mat 2:1 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

Jud 1:4 For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ.​
If you own Him as Lord > you should address him as Lord, as King then as King. That's just my 1.39c...

Thanks for posting those GEL. :)

Upvote 0

d0c markus

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few
Oct 30, 2003
✟3,060.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The Smiling One said:
My Lord, my Master, my Redeemer, my Saviour, my Father, my Healer, my Comforter, my Provider, my Shepherd, my Support, best of all.....my Friend!!!!!

I love God, but not as well as He deserves!
thats beautiful.

Upvote 0

Sword-In-Hand

Born again to raze hell
Nov 27, 2003
ky
✟17,362.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I got a blessing out of the last book of the Left Behind series. Although I don't read them, I decided to check out "The Glorious Appearing." In the chapter my wife showed me it is of this preacher telling a congregation about how God has effected him, who He is to him, the names of God and the meanings. This goes on for about 3 pages of just him referring to who God is to him and in the end, after all of that glorifying, he says....I wish I could describe Him to you:) .

Makes me feel really small, humble and beyond excited to know the Lord, who I can never explain, is all I'll ever need and so much more.

I fully believe in absolutely respecting the name of God and Jesus and I think it would be cool to refer to Him as Yeshua. I know a few who do. However in my alone time in prayer with Him, I often refer to Him as Daddy and it seems like He touches my heart even further.

Upvote 0

Andyman_1970

Trying to walk in His dust...............
Feb 2, 2004
The Natural State
Visit site
✟12,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome post GEL, reading that was a good little "devotion" for me, thanks.

GreenEyedLady[size=3 said:
Yahweh Shalom means the ``Lord is peace" and denotes the lack of tension, conflict and strife in God. (Judges 6:24)[/size]

One note (and not to be a nit-picker), shalom or peace in the Hebrew means way more than just lack of tension, or as we like to think "absence of conflict". You might try dong a search on the Hebrew meaning, I think you'll be blessed.

Thanks again for the post..............

Upvote 0

Glorianna

I'm a proud Canadian who married an American!
Mar 29, 2004
USA
✟30,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
GreenEyedLady said:
GEL

Elohim (God) means ``might or strong one"; it denotes the power and pre-eminence of God and is especially used in relationship to creation and strength. (Genesis 1: 1; Psalm 68: 1)
Adonai (Lord) means ``master, sovereign ruler or Lord" and generally denotes the authority and position of God. (Psalm 68: 32; Isaiah 6: 8-11)

Yahweh or Jehovah (Lord) means most likely the self-existent one (I am who I am or Iam the One who is) and denotes God's personal name and His eternality. It is often used in relationship to God as redeemer and covenant keeper. Yahweh is the most common name for God in the Old Testament. God's personal name was so sacred to most Jews that they feared to write or say it lest they misused it and usually substituted Adonai for Yahweh. Jehovah is an English word created from the other two to stand for God's personal name. (Genesis 2:4; Exodus 3:14; Psalm 68:14)

El Shaddai means ``God Almighty" and pictures God as the all powerful source of blessing and comfort. (Genesis 17:1; Exodus 6:3; Psalm 68:14)

El Elyon means ``God most High" and pictures God's strength and sovereignty. (Genesis 14:18; Psalm 9:2)

El Roi means ``God who sees" and denotes God's personal care and presence (Genesis 16:13)

El Olam means ``Everlasting and Eternal God" and pictures God's eternality and infinite strength. (Genesis 21:33; Isaiah 40:28)

The following are the main Old Testament Yahweh/Jehovah compound names:

Yahweh Jireh means the ``Lord provides" and was used by Abraham when God provided a sacrificial lamb instead of Isaac. (Genesis 22:14)

Yahweh Sabbaoth means the ``Lord of hosts" (hosts is sometimes translated almighty or army) and pictures God as the commander of the heavenly armies. (Joshua 5:14; I Samuel 1:3; Psalm 24:10)

Yahweh Rophe (or Rapha) means the ``Lord who heals" and denotes the physical and spiritual healing power of God. (Exodus 15:26)

Yahweh Shalom means the ``Lord is peace" and denotes the lack of tension, conflict and strife in God. (Judges 6:24)

Yehweh Nissi means the ``Lord is my banner" and signifies that the battle is the Lord's. (Exodus 17:15)

Yahweh Tsidkenu means the ``Lord our righteousness" and signifies God as the only source of true righteousness. (Jeremiah 23:6)

Yahweh Maccaddeschcem means the ``Lord our sanctifier" (or the Lord who makes you holy) and signifies that God is the one who sets people apart and makes them holy. (Exodus 31:13; Leviticus 20:8)

Yahweh Raah (rohi) means the ``Lord our Shepherd" and denotes God's loving care, protection and provision for His people. (Psalm 23:1)

[/font]

Wow, you have really interesting ideas for threads! Thanks for posting all of them! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.