Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
TeaPartyCrusaders says:
[VIDEO] : VOTER FRAUD PROOF! 18 MILLION INVALID REGISTRATIONS, 2 MILLION DEAD

It's a pretty scary thought. Proof of voter fraud. Eighteen million invalid registrations. Two million dead registrations. That's nearly 20 Million Invalid Votes Caste in the Presidential Election.

Here's the same story from TruthFeed:
VIDEO : VOTER FRAUD PROOF! 18 Million Invalid Registrations, 2 Million DEAD

Here it is again from the USHerald:

WATCH: Voter Fraud EXPOSED – 18 Million Invalid Registrations and Millions of DEAD Voters…

Here it is again from the OnlineConservtivePress:
[VIDEO] Proof of MILLIONS of Invalid and Dead Voters Registered: The Smoking Gun!

"Voter Fraud Proof!", "Voter Fraud EXPOSED", "The Smoking Gun!"
Who can argue with such headlines, when they have video evidence.

Well now, that's the thing, though. That video evidence, is merely a report from Lou Dobbs on FoxNews. But clearly, he shows us something huge. Something along the lines of people selling, or stealing votes, and putting in illegal registrations, or something like that.

Well, no. Here's what he said:
"Here's some shocking new numbers for you suggesting the true extent of voter fraud across this country. Remember, we've been told by Supreme Courts and by Federal Courts, and the Democratic Party "Don't worry about those Voter ID laws, because there's not voter fraud". Well, a Pew Research report shows that 1 in 8 voter registrations are quote "significantly inaccurate or no longer valid", suggesting further potentially some 18 million voter registrations in this country, nearly 2 million dead people, that is dead, are still voters, and they've got friends who apparently keep them company, come election day."

Smoking Gun? Well, no.

Even though all of the sites above carry the story of Lou Dobbs reporting this story (or simply directly link to a YouTube video of it), none actually cover the source of the claim. That source being Pew Research.

Luckily for us, Pew puts all of their research online, and on their site. And in the case of this report, here's the synopsis, and here's the full report.

Now let's look over Dobbs' thesis:

"Here's some shocking new numbers for you suggesting the true extent of voter fraud across this country."

Firstly, these numbers aren't new. This report was released in 2012. These are old numbers. Nobody cared about them in 2012, but as of mid-October, 2016, they've had lots of attention...although not directly.

Secondly, do these numbers really show us the "true extend of voter fraud" across the country? No. All it says is that our process for updating our Voter Registration list is antiquated and inefficient, resulting in an unreasonable number of registrations that are invalid or inaccurate. Is it due to illegal activity? Is it due to actual fraud?

No. It happens because people move or die. When they move within their county or state, their Voter Registration becomes inaccurate. When they move out of state, and register there, their old Voter Registration isn't just inaccurate, but invalid. And since the last time some of the voter lists were used, some 5 million people have died. Since most people don't think, or bother to correct the Voter Registration of their deceased loved ones, we end up with some 1.8 million dead people with invalid Voter Registrations.

Is it illegal? Nefarious? Crooked? No, it's just what happens, and that's what the Pew Report says. The report is meant to serve as a call to upgrade a registration system that is outdated, inefficient and expensive. It doesn't tell us anything about the extent of voter fraud, nor was it meant to. What's worse is that, because nobody's actually talking about it, that registration system Pew wants to correct will remain outdated.

Could these invalid or inaccurate Voter Registrations be exploited for voter fraud? Potentially, yes. But, that's a long way from actually being voter fraud.

Finally, what does this tell us about the alt-right media (of which I am now including Lou Dobbs)? Obviously, they are reporting on data that is about four years old, but reporting it as though it's new. Lou Dobbs himself grossly misrepresented the information he was reporting. Four other blogs pick up the story without any critical analysis, or even reporting his source. Indeed, at this point Lou Dobbs is the source. Someone, somewhere along the line decided that their viewership or readership was gullible or stupid, and will never look up the truth, so the lie. That lie is then reported on other less-than-reputable sites, whose readers share it with others, albeit with a new spin, and a myth is born.

My line at the beginning of this post:

"Proof of voter fraud. Eighteen million invalid registrations. Two million dead registrations. That's nearly 20 Million Invalid Votes Caste in the Presidential Election."

I admit, that wasn't me. That was a post someone else made about this story on another (conservative) forum. See how a report about an inefficient voter roll turns into a myth that there are 20 million invalid votes caste[sic] in the Presidential election?

I got wind of this story on this forum, where we were also informed that the mainstream media would never report on it. And there's a reason for that. The facts of the story have been distorted to shoe-horn it as news.

And here's the thing, the Mainstream Media still reports on it, but with some reason. Here's the Washington Post, keeping things in perspective.

No, 1.8 million dead people aren’t going to vote in November

If the mainstream media isn't reporting on a story carried on a blog, there's probably a good reason for it. Usually, it's that someone is misrepresenting facts, listening to poor sources, exaggerating claims, or just plan old making stuff up. Blogs have no need to stay within the realms of journalistic or editorial integrity, and will tell you whatever they think will get you to visit their site, and make them some money. And apparently, when the mainstream media does report on it, it's so it can be debunked.

Truth matters, and critical thinking matters.

Last edited:

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Firstly, these numbers aren't new. This report was released in 2012. These are old numbers. Nobody cared about them in 2012, but as of mid-October, 2016, they've had lots of attention...although not directly.

Secondly, do these numbers really show us the "true extend of voter fraud" across the country? No. All it says is that our process for updating our Voter Registration list is antiquated and inefficient, resulting in an unreasonable number of registrations that are invalid or inaccurate. Is it due to illegal activity? Is it due to actual fraud?

No. It happens because people move or die. When they move within their county or state, their Voter Registration becomes inaccurate. When they move out of state, and register there, their old Voter Registration isn't just inaccurate, but invalid. And since the last time some of the voter lists were used, some 5 million people have died. Since most people don't think, or bother to correct the Voter Registration of their deceased loved ones, we end up with some 1.8 million dead people with invalid Voter Registrations.

Is it illegal? Nefarious? Crooked? No, it's just what happens, and that's what the Pew Report says. The report is meant to serve as a call to upgrade a registration system that is outdated, inefficient and expensive. It doesn't tell us anything about the extent of voter fraud, nor was it meant to. What's worse is that, because nobody's actually talking about it, that registration system Pew wants to correct will remain outdated.

Could these invalid or inaccurate Voter Registrations be exploited for voter fraud? Potentially, yes. But, that's a long way from actually being voter fraud.

Finally, what does this tell us about the alt-right media (of which I am now including Lou Dobbs)? Obviously, they are reporting on data that is about four years old, but reporting it as though it's new. Lou Dobbs himself grossly misrepresented the information he was reporting. Four other blogs pick up the story without any critical analysis, or even reporting his source. Indeed, at this point Lou Dobbs is the source. Someone, somewhere along the line decided that their viewership or readership was gullible or stupid, and will never look up the truth, so the lie. That lie is then reported on other less-than-reputable sites, whose readers share it with others, albeit with a new spin, and a myth is born.

My line at the beginning of this post:

"Proof of voter fraud. Eighteen million invalid registrations. Two million dead registrations. That's nearly 20 Million Invalid Votes Caste in the Presidential Election."

I admit, that wasn't me. That was a post someone else made about this story on another (conservative) forum. See how a report about an inefficient voter roll turns into a myth that there are 20 million invalid votes caste[sic] in the Presidential election?

I got wind of this story on this forum, where we were also informed that the mainstream media would never report on it. And there's a reason for that. The facts of the story have been distorted to shoe-horn it as news.

And here's the thing, the Mainstream Media still reports on it, but with some reason. Here's the Washington Post, keeping things in perspective.

No, 1.8 million dead people aren’t going to vote in November

If the mainstream media isn't reporting on a story carried on a blog, there's probably a good reason for it. Usually, it's that someone is misrepresenting facts, listening to poor sources, exaggerating claims, or just plan old making stuff up. Blogs have no need to stay within the realms of journalistic or editorial integrity, and will tell you whatever they think will get you to visit their site, and make them some money. And apparently, when the mainstream media does report on it, it's so it can be debunked.

Truth matters, and critical thinking matters.

Peachy, here in Canada when we do our Income Tax, there is a box to check so you are automatically put on and/or updated on the voter registry.

Do you have something similar?

Upvote 0

PeachyKeane

M.I.A.
Mar 11, 2006
✟91,102.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Peachy, here in Canada when we do our Income Tax, there is a box to check so you are automatically put on and/or updated on the voter registry.

Do you have something similar?

Not here in Minnesota. I should mention that the Pew Report compares the USA to Canada. It points out that Canada's system is more efficient and is a fraction of the cost per person.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
About 40 million people move each year, so 18 million registrations still being recorded at the old address is actually pretty good.

2.6 million people die every year, so that number seems right about where I'd expect.

Upvote 0

J Cord

Aug 1, 2016
Canada
✟25,780.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Not here in Minnesota. I should mention that the Pew Report compares the USA to Canada. It points out that Canada's system is more efficient and is a fraction of the cost per person.

Heh! Didn't know that, but I feel better about it. Anyways, I do like our system, if you check the box you are automatically enrolled in the correct district for all elections...no fuss, no muss, it's really easy.

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
About 40 million people move each year, so 18 million registrations still being recorded at the old address is actually pretty good.

2.6 million people die every year, so that number seems right about where I'd expect.
If only people that understood statistics could vote, elections could be held in a local billiard club.

Upvote 0