The morality of the drug war

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BlueAfgani

I am a drug user. I am part of an underbelly in society that some say is like a cancer, slowly eating away and destroying our country, our society.

I would like to debate with an open-minded person who doesn't mind being proven wrong and who thinks the war of drugs does more good than harm, since I posit that almost every harm caused by drugs isn't caused by the drugs themselves, but is rather a by-product, a side-effect of the war on drugs.

emmzee

Oct 3, 2004
Ontario Canada
Visit site
✟7,930.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
IMHO, the "drug war" is often rather misguided. It should be focusing primarily on the underlying social reasons why some turn to drugs instead of the drugs themselves, since that "war" (to stop people from selling drugs) is ultimately unwinnable.

Defining what counts as a "drug" is a bit problematic as well ... if alcoholic drinks and cigarettes were invented today they would probably be banned along with other "drugs".

Yet we often observe the harm that is caused when these or illegal drugs are abused. Some illegal drugs are known to be more harmful than others. Of course some, like marijuana, likely have legitimate medical benefits for some people.

So the question is not as entirely cut-and-dry as most people would claim. For the record, I have never used any illegal drugs (or cigarettes for that matter) although I do drink alcohol on occasion, in moderation. Perhaps that's one of the keys to the discussion: Moderation, and due to the nature of certain stimulant drugs (ie highly addictive, chemically and/or emotionally), real moderation may not be possible when a person chooses to use those drugs.

For those that do use drugs (of the illegal stimulant variety) why do you use them? (An inquiry out of curiosity, not a challenge! :))

Upvote 0

karisma

May 8, 2006
✟8,315.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Engaged
I agree. The so called "war on drugs" is a complete and total failure. The gov't would have you believe that smoking a single joint is going to ruin the rest of your life.

I've smoked weed and used ecstasy for years.

:eek:

I'm graduating with my B.S. in Dec, I work, and I volunteer with mentally and physically disabled people.

I'm a productive member of society.

Hmm.. :scratch:

Oh and in response to the above post... I use because it's fun!

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know of a valid medical concept/practice called "Recreational Therapy" & the psychosomatic effectys of morale.
The war on drugs is just like the usual drill of the profit motivated AMA, and the war on terror in that they could all be titled "The War on Symptoms" vs "The War on Problems".

Upvote 0
B

BlueAfgani

What drug(s) do you use?

Pot on a daily basis. And X and shrooms on special occassions. I've done ice, and cocain before. Didn't really care for them. Looking to try some LSD on down the road and my friend has the hook up on peyote, so I wanna try that too.

For those that do use drugs (of the illegal stimulant variety) why do you use them? (An inquiry out of curiosity, not a challenge! )

Drugs are fun. They open the doors to new thoughts, new experiences, new feelings and new friends.

Pot gives me brilliant insight into things, allows me to think outside the outside of the box. I can remember what I think about though.

Best conversations I've ever had were on X.

Some of the most memerable things I've seen, I've seen on shrooms.

That's why I do drugs.

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Have you read of the Good Friday Marsh Chapel Experiment?
http://www.csp.org/practices/entheogens/docs/young-good_friday.html

I think it is an instructive experience, but the temptation is to repeat the experience beyond the instruction phase, and that can be simple psychic masturbation... not realy conducive to growth or morale in the long run.

And I'm not just guessing that. I "saw God on acid" back in '71 when it was still powerful & pure on the street.
I didn't just hallucinate the usual stuff that time, I "woke up" in intermingling mists of white & golden light. I looked at my self & I was effervescent white light... I experienced some pretty intense hallucinations & then visions before I reached an "egoless moment".

It was all very cool & even helpful, but ultimately, I still had to discover purpose for my life to give it fulfilling, not just sensational meaning.
Ya know what I mean?:cool:

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sho' nuff, just don't "Let The MAn getchya, & do what he done to me" to quote an ancient CCR song. (lol)

I think I was about 14 at the time. whatever...

One thing that always left me a little unsatisfied about it all was the idea of reaching outside of myself for something I suspected i should, or at least would rather, find inside of myself. Part of that might just be my own laziness.
Peace

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
B

BlueAfgani

One thing that always left me a little unsatisfied about it all was the idea of reaching outside of myself for something I suspected i should, or at least would rather, find inside of myself. Part of that might just be my own laziness.
Peace

If I was capable of finding everything good and well that I needed and wanted within myself...I would never leave the house.

Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Gentle reminder... While you can certainly discuss the "war on drugs" and its morality, you may not "encourage, support, or give how-to advice on illegal activity", per Rule 4.2 of the foru.ms rules

Please keep this fine line in mind as you post in this thread. Thank you.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.