Nov 1, 2012
✟25,302.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I mean, we could just solve this with federal/state backed worker unions and a return to Pre ReagannTax structures. Companies and businesses get tax breaks for reinvestment and the demand for labor will need to negotiate with supply. Works well for most of the rest of the west.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
And that's one reason why your argument fails. Socioeconomic mobility has been flat or declining in the US for decades (there are some differences in mobility between regions and socioeconomic groups).

Socioeconomic mobility in the United States - Wikipedia.
Long-term decline in intergenerational mobility in the United States since the 1850s
https://inequality.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/SOTU_2015_economic-mobility.pdf
Your links are rather long. Would you mind pointing to where it states today the ability to make or lose money in today's economy is about the same or less than before?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Most of the jobs those people do are jobs that American refuse to do as being beneath them or literally are paid peanuts to work. How many Americans were willing to go work at penies a tomato they pick?
If Americans did the job, the farmers would be forced to pay them a fair wage, rather than taking advantage of illegal immigrants illegal status as a way of underpaying them

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,069.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Your links are rather long. Would you mind pointing to where it states today the ability to make or lose money in today's economy is about the same or less than before?

No, trends in mobility are the substance of the entire documents.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, trends in mobility are the substance of the entire documents.

These are observations only, like watching someone drown. Not much help. The irony is that thirsty blacks have been led to water. They just won't drink it.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟148,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
These are observations only, like watching someone drown. Not much help. The irony is that thirsty blacks have been led to water. They just won't drink it.

Well what more can we do!?
The ingrates!

Really though, it’s 2021.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟496,098.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Ahhh....and there it is. Selfishness.

Because YOU don't want to pay "European prices" for fruit, you feel entitled to argue against a living wage for people.

What if, and I say this knowing how hard it could hit people.....American sensibilities were completely unjust, entitled and unethical.

What if?
What even are "european prices for fruit", in the mind of americans? I am not sure, because I can buy plenty of fruit over here in europe and don't find it particularly expensive.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟496,098.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
  • Informative
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
  • Agree
Reactions: Nithavela
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟496,098.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is sad. The PBS presentation of it looked so promising. Reminds of how Monsanto has ruined so many farmers there.
Everything nice is only a veil before the horribleness.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I think we've strayed from the main topic which is the American black economic condition and it's causes. If we get back to that you'll see that they are not ignorant of the knowledge needed to advance. They just haven't chosen to put it into practice. If they are content with their condition there's no need for further discussion. However if they are not content it is within their power to remedy it very quickly. Just a cursory study of black culture should reveal this to you.
Right. Slavery is over, Jim Crow is over and discrimination is illegal. Black people are now perfectly free to act like white people. It's not our fault if they don't.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Right. Slavery is over, Jim Crow is over and discrimination is illegal. Black people are now perfectly free to act like white people. It's not our fault if they don't.

We all 'act' pretty much the same. Whites however save more money and invest in generational wealth more. Blacks aren't quite ready to do that (even with comparable incomes) thus the wealth disparity. In fact almost all of the complaints blacks have (as expressed by liberal white advocates) have their basis in this fact.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No I don't. Is a coach hollering at a black player racist?
He is, if he expects that the yelling will make the black player act like he was a white player. There is nothing inherently superior about "behaving white."

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
He is, if he expects that the yelling will make the black player act like he was a white player. There is nothing inherently superior about "behaving white."

That's a stretch don't you think? :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

To the main point then. Why do blacks compare their state to whites and complain about it (if it's actually them complaining)? "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness". Most of the cursing is coming from white liberals assuming that they are speaking for the black community. I also don't see many candles being lit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟372,704.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
What even are "european prices for fruit", in the mind of americans? I am not sure, because I can buy plenty of fruit over here in europe and don't find it particularly expensive.
I know. But when my parents spent their winters in Arizona, they would pay pretty insanely cheap prices for things. INSANELY cheap. There are little mexican fruit and veg stands...head of colli. for $1.50....bag of advocados for a buck.

Whatever it takes to make SURE Mexican workers don't get fair wages. Though to be fair, it's quite likely that fruit and veg was picked in mexico and brought across.

Upvote 0