SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
I remember Australia being a continent because it sat on its own tectonic plate (and owned everything on it).
None of this 'Oceania' politically based business ..

Oh and New Zealand's mountains were really just sort of loaned out to them because it was clear cut that Australia deserved some real mountains! :yum:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
You think it’s possible to remember the same things … falsely?
Well, that was the point the article you posted was making, no(?)
And it supported that point, with evidence that, (for eg), quite a few other people remembered New Zealand as being located in the Indian Ocean.

What I think about the phenomenon they're pointing out though, is different from what they intended me to think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
what do you think?
Hold the horses! There's something weird going on with the board software for me at the moment .. (apologies).
Parts of what you posted weren't showing up for me, so I answered a different question to what you asked .. weird.

I do agree that its possible for large groups of people 'to remember the same things the same way .. falsely' (which is a different question).
The way they're remembering those things, is by way of their assuming that what they saw when they were kids, were truly accurate maps of the world. They then went onto become adults believing that those maps were 'true representations' of the earth's above-ocean geography. Turns out, that particular 'assumed truth' wasn't founded on objectively sourced data.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,371.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Relies solely on what that person means by 'existed'.
Highly condensed summary; is that there are only two known (demonstrable) ways to give that word a meaning .. via the scientific method or by way of beliefs.
Which way do you think that person was using when it comes to their notion of 'Shazam existing'?

Upvote 0