✟265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Kristos said:
The Lord's Day is eschotological...

This is true, but not the whole truth.

In the passage from Revelation chapter 1, John was obviously speaking about a certain day of the week.

This is why I asked OrthodoxyUSA if he was specifically referring to this passage.

It seems as if he's informed us of why he started this conversation.

Something about Sixtus I.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Sorry, but that's not going to be part of the answer set.

I want to know what day the Apostles meant when they said "The Lord's Day".

Forgive me...
Ah so If you had asked that in the begining the responses would have been different. I find it amazing that the 7th day crowd say that John is saying that he was in the Spirit on the Sabbath and not Sunday the Lord's day in Revelation 1:10. I ask how so? Is it not amazing that John a natural born Jew would suddenly change the way he referred to the Sabbath by calling it the Lord's day? He used the Sabbath everywhere else. Isn't it amazing that Christians would bring on offering to church on Sunday and not worship? I think so. We also know from the historical writings of the Church Father's that Christians used the word Kurios. When the Kurios was mentioned it meant Sunday assembly even without the word hemera. Of course you know all that. At least I think you do.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Forgive me...
Ah so If you had asked that in the begining the responses would have been different. I find it amazing that the 7th day crowd say that John is saying that he was in the Spirit on the Sabbath and not Sunday the Lord's day in Revelation 1:10. I ask how so? Is it not amazing that John a natural born Jew would suddenly change the way he referred to the Sabbath by calling it the Lord's day? He used the Sabbath everywhere else. Isn't it amazing that Christians would bring on offering to church on Sunday and not worship? I think so. We also know from the historical writings of the Church Father's that Christians used the word Kurios. When the Kurios was mentioned it meant Sunday assembly even without the word hemera. Of course you know all that. At least I think you do.

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The Lord's Day is the Eighth Day of Creation.

St. Cyprian of Carthage said:
For in respect of the observance of the eighth day in the Jewish circumcision of the flesh, a sacrament was given beforehand in shadow and in usage; but when Christ came, it was fulfilled in truth. For because the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, was to be that on which the Lord should rise again, and should quicken us, and give us circumcision of the spirit, the eighth day, that is, the first day after the Sabbath, and the Lord's day, went before in the figure; which figure ceased when by and by the truth came, and spiritual circumcision was given to us.

St. Justin Martyr said:
And we afterwards continually remind each other of these things. And the wealthy among us help the needy; and we always keep together; and for all things wherewith we are supplied, we bless the Maker of all through His Son Jesus Christ, and through the Holy Ghost. And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather together to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits; then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things. Then we all rise together and pray, and, as we before said, when our prayer is ended, bread and wine and water are brought, and the president in like manner offers prayers and thanksgivings, according to his ability, and the people assent, saying Amen; and there is a distribution to each, and a participation of that over which thanks have been given, and to those who are absent a portion is sent by the deacons. And they who are well to do, and willing, give what each thinks fit; and what is collected is deposited with the president, who succours the orphans and widows and those who, through sickness or any other cause, are in want, and those who are in bonds and the strangers sojourning among us, and in a word takes care of all who are in need. But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, made the world; and Jesus Christ our Saviour on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things, which we have submitted to you also for your consideration.

St. Ignatius of Antioch said:
If, therefore, those who were brought up in the ancient order of things have come to the possession of a new hope, no longer observing the Sabbath, but living in the observance of the Lord's Day, on which also our life has sprung up again by Him and by His death -- whom some deny, by which mystery we have obtained faith, and therefore endure, that we may be found the disciples of Jesus Christ, our only Master -- how shall we be able to live apart from Him, whose disciples the prophets themselves in the Spirit did wait for Him as their Teacher? And therefore He whom they rightly waited for, having come, raised them from the dead. [Mt 27:52]

Justin Martyr said:
Moreover, that God enjoined you to keep the Sabbath, and impose on you other precepts for a sign, as I have already said, on account of your unrighteousness, and that of your fathers—as He declares that for the sake of the nations, lest His name be profaned among them, therefore He permitted some of you to remain alive—these words of His can prove to you: they are narrated by Ezekiel thus: [he quotes Ezek. 20:19-26, removed for brevity]

Upvote 0

PilgrimToChrist

Oct 10, 2009
✟6,075.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
How does anyone know what day of the week it is anyway? Is it really Monday right now? Who says?

calendar.bmp

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How does anyone know what day of the week it is anyway? Is it really Monday right now? Who says?

There is at least one largish? group who asked that and came up with an answer, trying to tie it to the sun/moon phases and sabbaths, etc. (I'd disagree with them) :wave:

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My question was what do you do if your "Holy Tradition" is in contrast to Holy scripture?

I'll go with the scriptures.

Jesus was resurrected on the first day of the week, Sunday, but every gospel records that it was the day after the Sabbath.

It didn't become the Sabbath.

Like I said, I'm not a SDA, nor am I a Messianic Jew.

Just a Christian who's following the scriptures and they're plain on this topic.

This is not about the Sabbath (which is Saturday.)

It's about The Lord's Day.

The two are not the same.

Never have been, never will be.

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This is not about the Sabbath (which is Saturday.)

It's about The Lord's Day.

The two are not the same.

Never have been, never will be.

Forgive me...

Revelation, where the term occurs, is an end time book (or like Daniel, IMO, a forward looking revelation of what's to occur). Given that and given what scripture defines as Lord's day = 1000 years, you could think about that.

What day would it have been when John was in the Lord's day?

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Sunday.

That is and has always been the answer of The Church.

Case closed.

Forgive me...

Reactions: cobweb
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,069,141.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to the Faith that you have been taught...

The Lord's Day is Saturday.

or

The Lord's Day is Sunday.

Every day is the Lord's day - but I meet with other Christians for corporate worship on a Sunday.

Upvote 0

OrthodoxyUSA

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2004
Tupelo, MS
Visit site
✟142,274.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Every day is the Lord's day - but I meet with other Christians for corporate worship on a Sunday.

What day of the week do you think is being spoken of here?

On every Lord's Day—his special day (Literally, "On every Lord's Day of the Lord.") —come together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your sins so that your sacrifice may be pure. Anyone at variance with his neighbor must not join you, until they are reconciled, lest your sacrifice be defiled. For it was of this sacrifice that the Lord said, "Always and everywhere offer me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is marveled at by the nations."

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Anchorofmysoul

Feb 20, 2011
seated in heavenly places in Christ Jesus
✟265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
StandingUp said:
Revelation, where the term occurs, is an end time book (or like Daniel, IMO, a forward looking revelation of what's to occur). Given that and given what scripture defines as Lord's day = 1000 years, you could think about that.

The 1000 year "Lord's day" is certainly a possibility, but wouldn't that contradict what you said earlier?

StandingUp said:
I find it amazing that the 7th day crowd say that John is saying that he was in the Spirit on the Sabbath and not Sunday the Lord's day in Revelation 1:10. I ask how so? Is it not amazing that John a natural born Jew would suddenly change the way he referred to the Sabbath by calling it the Lord's day? He used the Sabbath everywhere else.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The sabbath is Saturday the Lord's Day is Sunday.

Actually Jesus said the Sabbath is His.
Mat. 12:8 and Mk. 2:28.
I'm going to go with Jesus on this one.
God's Sabbath is never called "the Lord's Day" in the Bible.
I wonder where this idea comes from.

Upvote 0

RibI

Jul 31, 2009
✟1,531.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
EDIT TO ADD:
On every Lord's Day—his special day (Literally, "On every Lord's Day of the Lord.") —come together and break bread and give thanks, first confessing your sins so that your sacrifice may be pure. Anyone at variance with his neighbor must not join you, until they are reconciled, lest your sacrifice be defiled. For it was of this sacrifice that the Lord said, "Always and everywhere offer me a pure sacrifice; for I am a great King, says the Lord, and my name is marveled at by the nations."
EDIT END:

LOL. Where did you get that from? 1Ortho. 3:16? :D :p

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Forgive me...

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The 1000 year "Lord's day" is certainly a possibility, but wouldn't that contradict what you said earlier?

Hopefully it's clear I didn't post what you thought was mine; scratch posted it. So, since I didn't say it, then didn't contradict myself.

Anyway, some think it Sunday, some think it Sabbath, some think it everyday, some think it refers to eschatology stuff.

Upvote 0
F

from scratch

Also, as some people have noted, "the day of the Lord" can mean more than just a single day in scripture.

Are you specifically referring to the one passage in Revelation?

And you never did tell me why it matters to you.
Day of the Lord isn't the same thing as the Lord's Day. Day of the Lord usually refers to an event not tied to a specific day. I associate it with judgement.

Upvote 0