The literal and figurative portions of Genesis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pats

I'll take that comment with a grain of salt
Oct 8, 2004
Arizona, in the Valley of the sun
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Lady Kate said:
I've often noted to myself that many of Christ's actions do have allegorical meanings... He also healed and fed people physically as well as spiritually.

Even his ascension to heave was a physical act representing an allegorical one... Unless someone really thinks heaven's up there somewhere.

So, on this point we are agree. :cool: The Bible contains facts, actions, examples, and the like that are both allegorical and literal.

Well, that brings up a sticky theological point of God's omniscience... if God did'nt create us this way, then the Fall was unplanned (though not unexpected). Why then did God allow the Fall to happen?

This isn't that sticky the way I was taught the Bible. The answer is Free Will. God wanted, above and beyond all, a created people that would love Him from their own desire to do so. God giving us the opportunity to obey, and our failure through free will to do so, is a key element here. It doesn't make sense to me without it.

Neither view makes 100% theological sense in light of omniscience... Either a perfect God designed something imperfect, or He designed something perfect, and did nothing to prevent the monkeywrench that He knew was going to be tossed into the works.

I don't agree. I can't see that. Never having given us the opportunity to avoid falling into sin in the first place, designs us in need of a Saviour, and negates quite a bit of the NT IMHO.

Yes. It is like the question, if I walk one inch away from the edge of the cliff am I safe or will God spare me from falling? Or, if I walk two feet away from the edge if the cliff am I safe?

The answer is, I know I'm safer to walk two feet away than I am one inch away.

I believe it requires faith in God and His word to say, yes, creation took place and I was made in God's image and did not descend from an animal. I believe this is the safer answer, spiritually, although it may not be scollarly or popular.

Yes... the one we happen to believe is true. What more did you think it was?

The fact that it is true does seperate it from the others.

Also, I believe there is truth in Christ, and the rest of this is religion. Religion in this world, wether it be a Christian one or not, tends to seperate man from God, as man's understanding of God's word is far from perfect.

Well, it's not literal by our standards... "the world" means the world. Of course, to the Romans, "the world" would mean the Roman Empire, just as to a little child, "the world" might be the neighborhood they live in.

It's not mythological, it's cultural.

The "world" means the enitre globe to us, now, today. It didn't mean that back then. When God told Noah, "the world," couldn't it have been literal and meant, "the world, as you know it?"

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Pats said:
Glaudys, I fully understand your comparison of Genesis to mythology in post #6, and I would agree. However, it doesn't tell me that special creation didn't take place.

No, of course it doesn't. It's not intended to do that. Special creation vs. evolution is our question. It is not the question that Genesis 1 was written to answer.

The question Gen. 1 was written to answer related to "who created?" (the gods of the nations or the God of Israel), not to "how did God create?" That was a question of particular importance to the Jews experiencing defeat and exile (for it was at this time that Gen. 1 was written). It was a common assumption at the time that the strength of a nation's gods was measured by the political, economic and military strength of the nation. War on earth was seen to be due to a war between the gods, and the victory of one nation over another was seen to be the result of the victory of that nation's gods over the gods of the defeated nation. You can see how the defeat of Judah would be seen, by Jews as well as Babylonians, as the defeat of Yahweh and all he stood for. Should the Jews continue to serve a weak and defeated God?

This is where the Gen. 1 story of creation comes in, with its ringing endorsement of the God of Israel as the one and only Creator. Piece by piece it takes the creation story of the conquerer and retells it in a way that denies the conquerors gods.

And the connection with the Sabbath is important too, for the contention of this author as of other prophets, is not that God failed Israel, but that Israel failed God by failing to keep the Covenant, of which the Sabbath is a sign.

It is important to remember for any section of the bible, that it was written to answer the questions the people of God were asking at the time it was written. It was not written to answer questions that had not yet occurred to anyone.

So it doesn't answer the question of special creation vs. evolution. But it does tell us something even more important. No matter how we came to be we are the work of God. And the universe we live in is the work of God. Nothing science has ever or will ever discover about the origins of the world or of ourselves can ever change that.

There are many places in the Bible where the allegorical is also a picture of the literal. Right down to Salvation, Christ died (physical) so we don't have to (spiritual.)

The Bible seems to be full of places where allegorical representations were also literal. King Nebekanezzer's dreams... there are multiple examples. So, while your insight was fascinating, I don't see how it clears anything up.

In fact, behind every figurative, allegorical, apocalyptical, metaphorical text there is a reference to something that is literally true. That is why identifying these literary forms is not a dismissal of the truths they teach. It is simply identifying the form in which they are presented.

I do ask that question, yes. I'm open to hearing the answers from all sides of origin theology on this. How does a literal vs. an allegorical Adam effect the message of Salvation?

It doesn't. Sin, the fall, salvation are all literally true if Adam is a type-figure or representative head of humanity, just as they are if Adam is a literal individual with a historical existence. And the historicity of Adam is not even a dividing line between creationist and TE, for some TEs believe that Adam was indeed a literal, historical person. Not my position, but it is not something I take issue with.

Following on with what I said above, about all allegory, etc. having a literal reference, the literal reference in this case is our alienation from God. We are alienated from God by our sinful nature. We are reconciled to God by Christ who has overcome our sinful nature in his life, death and resurrection.

This is all literal. And in Gen. 2 we have a story that tells us about how we become alienated from God. Whether we understand that story as a report of a historical event or as a pictorial presentation of the broken relationship between humanity and God makes no difference to the literal reality of our sinful nature and need for salvation.

Emphasis added by me. Would you mind expanding on that, please?

Many of the books of the bible have gone through a complicated history of oral and written authorship and editing. Many are actually compilations of the works of several previous authors. The book of Isaiah, for example, is actually a compilation of the oracles of three different prophets: Isaiah, son of Amoz, who lived in Jerusalem in the days of King Hezekiah, an anonymous prophet known as Isaiah of Babylon who was a Jewish exile and preached the return from exile, and another anonymous prophet who lived in Jerusalem after the return.

Genesis is also a composite book with three principal authors and two principal editors. Scholars have laboured for three centuries to work out who wrote what and when it was written. The genealogies appear to have been added either by the person who wrote Gen. 1 (and who is not the same person who wrote the Adam & Eve story) or by the final editor who brought all the earlier works together.

For more on the origin of the Torah see:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/gerald_larue/otll/chap3.html

http://www.cresourcei.org/jedp.html

http://www.beliefnet.com/story/139/story_13986_1.html

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/rs/2/Judaism/jepd.html

So, do you believe that God intended to create through evolutionary means a creation containing pain, toil, and death. He initiated the evolution of our world with the idea that sin would naturally occur and He would have to send His son to His death?

According to Revelation, Christ is the Lamb slain "from the foundation of the world". This implies that God knew we would sin and what the consequences would be, including the consequences for his son. Yet he created anyway.

I am sure God also knew that creating biological life creates biological suffering and death---whether or not species evolve. It is simply impossible for biological life not to be mortal, even if it is specially created.

So, yes, I believe God created a world in which living things die and that he called it "very good".

I believe God created a world into which he knew sin would be introduced with the ultimate price to be paid in the death of Jesus on the cross, and that he called this world "very good".

Neither of these aspects of creation requires evolution. They would be true whether or not species evolved. So evolution cannot be dismissed on these grounds.

Doesn't that alter the Biblical picture of God Himself?

No, it may alter how some people view the biblical picture of God, though. I would suggest that some people have not probed the biblical picture of God in depth but have adopted a view that pleases them.

I'm not saying God's Word doesn't contain allegories, I just need to take great care in examining it before I call part of it an allegory, especially when it contains similar language to the literal portion. I'd rather make an error on the side of caution.

As I see it, there is nothing special about a text being "literal". There is no reason to elevate a "literal" text as having greater truth value than an allegorical or mythological or any other sort of text which is not plainly historical. And we also have to remember that our notion of history is a recent invention of Euro-American philosophy. So applying our standards of "literal" to an ancient text is really anachronistic.

Is it possible that the flood was neither global nor mythologized? It would seem there was a time when you could have told a Roman something occured all over the world, and they would have took it to mean all over Rome.

That is probably the best way to understand the biblical references to the "whole earth" and the "highest mountains" in the flood text. Just as in the NT, the Roman emperor's decree that "all the world" should register for the tax obviously means all the Roman empire, not the whole globe.

However, the literary form of the story is still that of a myth. It is important to remember that "myth" refers to the way the story is told, not to the reality or unreality of the events. The story can be told mythically even if the event is history. And since ancient peoples did not differentiate much between history and myth, history was often told mythically or in sagas and legends rather than in objective journalistic reports as in a newspaper.

Upvote 0
T

The Lady Kate

Pats said:
Yes. It is like the question, if I walk one inch away from the edge of the cliff am I safe or will God spare me from falling? Or, if I walk two feet away from the edge if the cliff am I safe?

The answer is, I know I'm safer to walk two feet away than I am one inch away.

The difference is that neither of us are anywhere near the edge of a cliff...

I believe it requires faith in God and His word to say, yes, creation took place and I was made in God's image and did not descend from an animal. I believe this is the safer answer, spiritually, although it may not be scollarly or popular.

Well, we're going to see this differently... of course it requires faith.... but there is the difference between faith without evidence and faith despite contrary evidence.

Besides, if we did descend from an animal, it's because that's the way God brought us into this world. Wouldn't it be better to investigate this and accept it rather than hold on to a refuted belief because we're afraid of God smacking us down if we're wrong?

The fact that it is true does seperate it from the others.

Except that it's not a fact. It's faith. I believe it's true, and you believe it's true. Come Judgement Day, if it happens, we might all be in for a big surprise.

I might be wrong. So might you. So might all of us. We have no way of knowing one way or the other, yet we believe. That's the essence fo faith.

Also, I believe there is truth in Christ, and the rest of this is religion. Religion in this world, wether it be a Christian one or not, tends to seperate man from God, as man's understanding of God's word is far from perfect.

Again with the magic word... "I believe..." Everything we know, we know imperfectly... even Christ.

The "world" means the enitre globe to us, now, today. It didn't mean that back then. When God told Noah, "the world," couldn't it have been literal and meant, "the world, as you know it?"

It could've, certainly. And that would make it literally, contextually, true.

This is the problem with literalism... we must never forget that the Bible was not originally written for us... it was written to be read and understood by a very different audience.

Upvote 0

Remus

Feb 22, 2004
Austin, TX
✟15,971.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pats said:
I wonder what made you choose your current position?
In a nutshell, I find the Irreducible Complexity argument much more compelling than Common Descent.
No, I hadn't read his work before, but thanks for the link. I can see how at least the first 3 days of creation could have been longer than we catagorize days now, since the earth was not yet in orbit around the sun here. Although, this article probably raised more questions for me than it answered, lol.
Ack! Basically, the Hebrew word that is translated to "day" in Gen 1 ('yowm') has several meanings. It can mean day as in daytime, day as in a 24-hour period, some indefinite period of time, etc…

Gen 1:14 shows this somewhat.
Gen 1:14 said:
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Both "day" and "days" in this verse is the same word that is in the other verses.

If we take the meaning of “day” in Gen 1 as some indefinite period of time, then the six “days” could represent any amount of time. Or something like that.

Perhaps that clears up a lot on both sides of the Crevo arguement, there are simply things we don't/won't understand at this time. :)
You're right about this one. ;)

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
gluadys said:
No, of course it doesn't. It's not intended to do that. Special creation vs. evolution is our question. It is not the question that Genesis 1 was written to answer.

This depends on your interpretation of Gen. 1, doesn't it?

The question Gen. 1 was written to answer related to "who created?" (the gods of the nations or the God of Israel), not to "how did God create?" That was a question of particular importance to the Jews experiencing defeat and exile (for it was at this time that Gen. 1 was written).

But God knew we would read it. Perhaps it is an example to us, also, that it doesn't matter "how" He did it. He created us, we should except that.

It was a common assumption at the time that the strength of a nation's gods was measured by the political, economic and military strength of the nation. War on earth was seen to be due to a war between the gods, and the victory of one nation over another was seen to be the result of the victory of that nation's gods over the gods of the defeated nation. You can see how the defeat of Judah would be seen, by Jews as well as Babylonians, as the defeat of Yahweh and all he stood for. Should the Jews continue to serve a weak and defeated God?

This should make sense, I think, to creationists and TEs alike.

It is important to remember for any section of the bible, that it was written to answer the questions the people of God were asking at the time it was written. It was not written to answer questions that had not yet occurred to anyone.

I stated my opinion on this above.

It doesn't. Sin, the fall, salvation are all literally true if Adam is a type-figure or representative head of humanity, just as they are if Adam is a literal individual with a historical existence. And the historicity of Adam is not even a dividing line between creationist and TE, for some TEs believe that Adam was indeed a literal, historical person. Not my position, but it is not something I take issue with.

The historicity of Genesis is pretty important, to my thinking, when you go around saying that sin, pain, and death are all natural and that the myth Genesis contains tries to explain them to humanity because we need an explination. (See post #18.)

So, wich is it gluadys? Was there a fall or were we destined to sin and death from the begining? I'm sorry, but you seem to contradict yourself. I can't tell if it's because you don't mind TE theologies that you don't personally agree with, and so you adopt them all into your posts or what?

Many of the books of the bible have gone through a complicated history of oral and written authorship and editing. Many are actually compilations of the works of several previous authors. The book of Isaiah, for example, is actually a compilation of the oracles of three different prophets: Isaiah, son of Amoz, who lived in Jerusalem in the days of King Hezekiah, an anonymous prophet known as Isaiah of Babylon who was a Jewish exile and preached the return from exile, and another anonymous prophet who lived in Jerusalem after the return.

Genesis is also a composite book with three principal authors and two principal editors.

I think we should tread carefully when presenting matters such as the authorship of scripture to be "fact" when actually there is much reason for uncertainty.

I will research more on the subject. But it seems to me at this point "scholars" disagree on this and your view may not be as rock solid as your proposing it to be.

There's a lot more to gluadys and others I'd like to respond, but life beckons, so until next time.... :wave:

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Remus said:
In a nutshell, I find the Irreducible Complexity argument much more compelling than Common Descent.
Really? I used to think it might have merit, until I started seeing people come up with refutations to claims of irreducible complexity. The one that sealed the deal for me was claims that the blood-clotting mechanism in humans was irreducibly complex. I was pointed to a presentation in which it was shown that while all the pieces that humans have are necessary for humans to clot blood properly, dolphins and whales lack a couple of the parts and still clot blood just fine (not to mention a few other creatures) - which is exactly what we would expect to see. Since then I've seen quite literally a refutation for every common irreducible complexity claim that I've seen people make.

I do have something to say for irreducible complexity, though - it is one of the genuinely valid tests of evolutionary theory I've ever seen offered. It provides a scientific query (Can this individual mechanism have been assembled gradually over the course of many generations?), provides a method for testing that query (Finding evidence of an organism in which that mechanism exists or existed in a more primitive state) and is clear-cut in its ramifications (If an explanation exists, the mechanism is not irreducibly complex; if no example of a more primitive iteration of the mechanism can be found, it may be irreducibly complex in which case evolutionary theory may be incorrect). If only all creationist criticisms were so soundly made. They're much easier to verify or discard when they follow the steps for creating a scientific test.

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
But God knew we would read it. Perhaps it is an example to us, also, that it doesn't matter "how" He did it. He created us, we should except that.

Exactly. It was written initially for the people at the time: they had to understand because God would not inspire people to write nonsense (and a scientific/historical interpretation would be nonsense to the original readers.)

Our understanding of the passage, therefore, should flow from their understanding of the passage, not be something imposed from a 19th/20th century worldview.

Reactions: Numenor
Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
artybloke said:
Exactly. It was written initially for the people at the time: they had to understand because God would not inspire people to write nonsense (and a scientific/historical interpretation would be nonsense to the original readers.)

Our understanding of the passage, therefore, should flow from their understanding of the passage, not be something imposed from a 19th/20th century worldview.

Could you expand on that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Pats said:
This depends on your interpretation of Gen. 1, doesn't it?

No, it is a matter of history. Evolution only becomes a significant question when science indicates that it happens and Christians assume that it doesn't, IOW 19th century CE. No one asked Gen. 1 for an position relative to evolution before that. Certainly not the original author and his hearers.

Precisely.

So, wich is it gluadys? Was there a fall or were we destined to sin and death from the begining? I'm sorry, but you seem to contradict yourself. I can't tell if it's because you don't mind TE theologies that you don't personally agree with, and so you adopt them all into your posts or what?

No, I am not contradicting myself since I said plainly that I do not agree with those TEs who hold that Adam was a historical person. But it would be unfair to them and to you to portray my position on that question as "the" TE position when it is not.

I see the fall as very real, but not as a single historical moment. To me Adam is literally every human being past, present and future. Adam means "human" in Hebrew, and every human is Adam. The fall occurs every moment of every day when a human being chooses his/her own way instead of God's way.

That, however, is my personal take, not "the" TE position.

Are we destined to sin? Emphatically no. Jesus showed us that a human life can be lived without sin. Do we sin? Yes. Because we are fallen Adam-man, not Christ-man. To become humans like Christ instead of humans like Adam we need the grace of God redeeming us from Adam-nature and giving us Christ-nature.

I think we should tread carefully when presenting matters such as the authorship of scripture to be "fact" when actually there is much reason for uncertainty.

There is always a degree of uncertainty in scientific findings.

Literary analysis of ancient texts is a "soft" science without the mathematical rigour of physics. So there is more uncertainty in literary analysis than in something more mathematical. Nevertheless, it is a science, an academic discipline, where conclusions are based on evidence not imagination.

The Mosaic authorship of the (whole) Torah has been questioned by Christian and Jewish scholars for well over a thousand years with no intent to denigrate the text as inspired scripture.

The Documentary Thesis has been through a number of transformations since it was first proposed and no doubt it will be revised again in the future. But the basic outline of four traditions has achieved strong scholarly consensus to the point that every major seminary and theological school teaches it.

I will research more on the subject. But it seems to me at this point "scholars" disagree on this and your view may not be as rock solid as your proposing it to be.

As noted above, it is not "my" proposal. It is a well-supported position of long-standing among biblical scholars, both Jewish and Christian.

It may not be 100% correct. No one claims that it is. But since it is solid enough to convince the experts in the field, that is rock solid enough for me.

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
Originally Posted by: artybloke

Could you expand on that?

The people who were the original readers of the Genesis creation stories were not scientists, and they did not have a modern philosophy of knowledge. They were steeped in stories from birth to death: stories about gods and heroes and mythical kings, stories full of talking animals and magic.

It's in that context that the Genesis accounts were first presented, not in the context of a modern scientific worldview that has to have solid physical evidence for belief. People believed because they had it on good authority from the stories they were told, not because they'd tested it in a laboratory.

Modernist philosophy will tell you that truth=fact; the ancient peoples didn't think that. Writing was uncommon therefore sacred; if it was written down it must be true, if it was old it must be true etc...

The Genesis accounts of creation existed in the world and their first interpretation starts there. The people who heard the stories first (and they would have heard rather than read them mostly) would have heard them as stories and compared them to the stories they heard around them from the pagan world. They wouldn't have tested their factuality in a laboratory. They would have said, "your story is better than that other story over in Babylon."

There's more to it than that; but it starts there.

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Pats said:
The Scriptures were inspired by our Lord and God who meant them to be passed down throught the ages, even to our time.
Of course - that isn't the question. Even in our time if we work with an understanding of how it was accepted when written we can understand it just as well as it was understood back then.

There is no text that can be written whose purpose, intent and detail can be understood two millenia later without careful attention to the context of that purpose and intent.

Upvote 0

LoG

Veteran
Site Supporter
May 14, 2005
✟70,204.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dannager said:
There is no text that can be written whose purpose, intent and detail can be understood two millenia later without careful attention to the context of that purpose and intent.

Balance that statement with the fact that for most of its history the scriptures were not available to the common and uneducated man; and yet it was these that were entering the kingdom of heaven (purpose of the bible) before the priests, pharisees, scholars and scribes.

The bible is meant to be understood through the Holy Spirit not scientific evidence. The more we rely on our own understanding the farther off the mark we get.

Reactions: Pats
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
T

The Lady Kate

Lion of God said:
Balance that statement with the fact that for most of its history the scriptures were not available to the common and uneducated man; and yet it was these that were entering the kingdom of heaven (purpose of the bible) before the priests, pharisees, scholars and scribes.

And yet it was the priests, pharases, scholars, and scribes who held those scriptures for centuries, and pronounced ex cathedra exactly what they (allegedly) meant to the common and uneducated men.

And now we can spot the origin of religious institution.

The bible is meant to be understood through the Holy Spirit not scientific evidence. The more we rely on our own understanding the farther off the mark we get.

So does the Holy Spirit tell us "yep, it's all literal, pay no attention to God's creation," or is it our own interpretation that tells us that.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Lady Kate said:
So does the Holy Spirit tell us "yep, it's all literal, pay no attention to God's creation," or is it our own interpretation that tells us that.

You mock creationism, then you want us to explain it to you???

It IS our attention to creation that tells us it was created.

Scientific "interpretation" of imperical data changes all the time. The Bible does not change.

I could go into more detail, but I don't have time to keep up with the onslaught of responses.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Scientific "interpretation" of imperical data changes all the time. The Bible does not change.

this is such a common and WRONG retort that it desires rebuttal everytime it is posted.

the Bible may very well NOT change. however man's interpretation of it changes a lot and it is not even consistent among those who make the same claims to treat it literally and with common sense.

for all its changability science is FAR more monolithic in basic belief then the Church has been, ever.

oop. left out a not...
didn't see it until reading the quote next.
sorry.

Upvote 0

Pats

Oct 8, 2004
Visit site
✟14,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
rmwilliamsll said:

this is such a common and WRONG retort that it desires rebuttal everytime it is posted.

the Bible may very well NOT change. however man's interpretation of it changes a lot and it is not even consistent among those who make the same claims to treat it literally and with common sense.

for all its changability science is FAR more monolithic in basic belief then the Church has been, ever.

That's laughable.

Wich head does a brontasaurus have?

That's a mere single example. As I said, I don't have time to get into this, other than to call science more consistent than the scriptures is laughable.

Tell me, does all matter poses the four elements? :doh:

Basic scientific princable changes with the wind compared to God's Word.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Pats said:
That's laughable.

Wich head does a brontasaurus have?

That's a mere single example. As I said, I don't have time to get into this, other than to call science more consistent than the scriptures is laughable.

Tell me, does all matter poses the four elements? :doh:

Basic scientific princable changes with the wind compared to God's Word.

i'm interested in and teach a sunday school class on american presbyterian history.
my list of micro denominations, all conservative in their approach to the Bible, all reformed numbers 38.
i had to eliminate those of just 1 pastor or 1 church and stuck to those with 3 pastors and a functional presbytery.

how many types of quantum physics do you think we have in science?
or how many schools of organic chemistry?
or how many denominations of mathematicans?
not even to mention the way theologians and churches fight over who is true and right.

and again.
i did not say:
science more consistent than the scriptures is laughable

i said
the interpretation of Scripture or the interpreters of Scripture.

please pay attention. it helps the discussion get useful work done.

btw
thanks for quoting my posting. i left off an important NOT....fixed in the original now.
i belong to a church that teaches an infallible Scripture and i really wouldn't want that error getting around as what i believe....

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.