Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I am a member of the Pentecostal Holiness Church who also visits Baptist churches. I have sent a niece through Liberty University. Most of the pastors I know both Pentecostal and Baptist are Liberty University graduates.

Liberty University's Rawlings School of Divinity

In which boasts the world’s largest school for religious studies and ministerial training. Liberty University defines itself as a Christian college that aligns with the evangelical tradition. But with the Thomas Road Baptist church nearby, arguably more Baptist.

So... We are a Pentecostal Holiness denomination filled with Liberty graduates. With the Liberty University influence comes change. The nearby Radford Pentecostal Holiness Church has renamed itself Compassion Church with Liberty graduates at the helm. We also have a nearby Northstar church that are fruits of Baptist ministries. When asked about denomination influence the Liberty graduate will tell you they are, "Bible Believing." The Northstar church does very well with I would say 1,000 folk in attendance while Virginia Tech classes are in progress. Noting that both churches have about the same training, they also share in the fact that there is no advertised denomination. You would have to dig to find their denominational influences.

Compassion Church Radford | A family where you belong

In advise in choosing a church of this influence I would highly recommend to research into the leadership.Good leadership is essential. Saint Ambrose once said, "While in Rome do as the Romans." Which I believe is good advice and there may be a time to get out of Rome if the Romans are getting off base. But while in Rome I at least try to be friendly and well mannered.

My goodness! What a delicate thread! These are... Though... Changing times in which denominational focus is not what it was as in times past.

Reactions: Vambram

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,209.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I hadn't thought about what it means for Liberty University to have as many students as it does (especially including its online students), but, yes -- I guess it must mean that many, many churches are being pastored by people educated in Liberty University's theological tradition. That's going to give Jerry Falwell a larger influence over American Christianity than I had realized.

And, of course, if you're in Radford, Liberty University is pretty close to you and thus is a natural school for seminarians to choose.

How is this affecting your denomination? The Pentecostal Holiness tradition and the Falwell-style Baptist tradition have some similarities, but also some significant differences. Do you feel like your churches are able to maintain their Pentecostal Holiness distinctives, or are they becoming more Baptist?

Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,066,173.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
I hadn't thought about what it means for Liberty University to have as many students as it does (especially including its online students), but, yes -- I guess it must mean that many, many churches are being pastored by people educated in Liberty University's theological tradition. That's going to give Jerry Falwell a larger influence over American Christianity than I had realized.

And, of course, if you're in Radford, Liberty University is pretty close to you and thus is a natural school for seminarians to choose.

How is this affecting your denomination? The Pentecostal Holiness tradition and the Falwell-style Baptist tradition have some similarities, but also some significant differences. Do you feel like your churches are able to maintain their Pentecostal Holiness distinctives, or are they becoming more Baptist?
1. We are no longer traditional Baptist
2. We are no longer traditional Pentecostal Holiness

I would say each church is developing their own feel, as did the Thomas Road Baptist Church. I would caution here the possibilities of bad people, such as we have in Jerry Falwell Jr. And, equally. The possibilities of fine people, such as we have in his brother Jonathan Falwell.

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟551,099.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Changing times in which denominational focus is not what it was as in times past.
Good point..
---
Jerry Falwell (Sr.) & Liberty University.
- Interesting history..
- especially during the 1980's.

Reactions: rockytopva
Upvote 0