The Last Temptation of Christ

Mike Ward

Dec 30, 2008
✟15,158.00
Faith
Christian
I've seen about the first quarter and the last quarter of it. Somehow I missed the middle.

My thoughts were that Jesus seemed slow and confused.

I found the ending confusing since it was not clear to me if the last part of them movie was a dream or if it really happened and God miraculously rewound time. Neither interpretation works for me.

At the very, very end the camera seems to just run out of film (no joke) which seemed like a fitting metaphor for how little thought must have gone into the film.

Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
have a hard time seeing Dafoe as Jesus anyway

Interesting note, William Dafoe smoked at the time he was making the movie and Scorsese told him, "When you're in costume don't smoke. I have enough controversy making this film and the last thing I need is a photo of 'Jesus Christ' smoking a cigarette on the front page of the local newspaper!"

Upvote 0

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What exactly makes it a disgrace? The fact that we see God as a human being?

The fact that they make God a sinful human being, when it is clear that Jesus had no sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

PreachersWife2004

by his wounds we are healed
Site Supporter
May 15, 2007
Land O' 10,000 Lakes
✟84,030.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I would recommend it, if nothing else it will make you think out of the box.

How so? And why would one want to think "outside the box" when dealing with matters of faith? Jesus tells us the only way to the Father is through him, and he also tells us that the way is narrow. Doesn't really seem like a time for thinking outside the box.

Upvote 0

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How so? And why would one want to think "outside the box" when dealing with matters of faith?

Good point. Why would one want to think outside the box? It might make one question the reason they believe what they do, possibly even to the extent of questioning whether or not what they believe is true. When one starts to think in such a way they lose security. It's much easier to believe something "because I said so," than it is to subject those beliefs to logical reasoning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

charismaticace

Questioning Christian
Oct 24, 2010
✟15,239.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've been told by people both on this forum and IRL that the Last Temptation of Christ portrays Christ as a sinful man. I find this fascinating as not a single one of them have ever actually seen the movie. But I digress, I would like to see where exactly Christ is portrayed as a sinner?

Upvote 0

ubicaritas

sinning boldly
Jul 22, 2017
Orlando
✟68,398.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
I'd like to see this film, just because Scorsese's later movie, Silence, was awesome (my pastor and I are actually thinking of making a Lutheran movie viewing study out of it). I've only read a little bit about The Last Temptation of Christ, but it does sound interesting, particularly the christological views. I know the Greek author of the novel eventually turned to Christianity after a lifetime of flirting with communism.

Upvote 0

Yanni depp

Est. 1986
Jun 8, 2017
BC
✟71,722.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I've been told by people both on this forum and IRL that the Last Temptation of Christ portrays Christ as a sinful man. I find this fascinating as not a single one of them have ever actually seen the movie. But I digress, I would like to see where exactly Christ is portrayed as a sinner?
You can find the answers online. Im not gonna offer up the links on Christian Forums.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Has anyone seen this movie and if so, what are your thoughts?
I saw it and it was boring, my church went out and protested it when I was in LA. I don't know what they were thinking with that movie but it's not about Jesus Christ. I actually watched twice and fell asleep both times, it's poor cinema at best and border line blasphemy.

Upvote 0