Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
In Scripture, the kingdom is expressed in several ways,

Matt.6:33, "The kingdom of God,"

John 3:13, with ver.5, Jesus said, “No man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven, with Ver.5, “Jesus said, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.”

Matt.13:41, "His (Jesus) kingdom,"
Matt.20:21, "Thy kingdom,"
Rev.1:9, "In the kingdom and patience of Jesus Christ."
Eph.5:5, "Kingdom of Christ and of God."
Mark 11:10, "Kingdom -- Of David." Further, but only in
Matt.3:2, and 4:17, "Kingdom of heaven,"
2 Tim.4:18, "Heavenly kingdom."

Likewise absolute, Matt.8:12, "Children of the kingdom," Matt.9:35, "Of the kingdom." All these expressions are in N.T. synonymous, and signify the divine spiritual kingdom, the glorious reign of the Messiah. The idea of this kingdom has its basis in the prophecies of the Septuagint where the coming of the Messiah and His triumphs are foretold; as in Ps.2, and Ps.110. Please read.

Isa.2:2-4, “It shall come to pass in the last days that the mountain of the LORD’s house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. Many people shall go and say, Come ye and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD ---- And he (Jesus) shall judge among the nations ----nations shall not lift up sword --- neither shall they learn war any more.”

Follow the pattern laid down by God in the following verses concerning the kingdom of God. Sequels follow;

Isa.11:1, “There shall come forth a rod out of the stem of Jesus and a Branch shall grow out of his roots.”

Present participle of sequel follows,

Jer.23:5, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth.” Sequel follows,

Jer.31:31, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah.” Sequel to follows,

Jer.32:37, “Behold, I will gather them (the whole house of Israel) out of all countries, whither I have driven them in mine anger, and in my fury, and in great wrath; and I will bring them again unto the place (Israel,) and I will cause them to dwell safely (future.)” Sequel follows,

Jer. 33:14, “Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will perform that good thing which I have promised unto the house of Israel and to the house of Judah.” Sequel follows,

Ez.34:23, “And I will set up one shepherd over them (Israel,) and He (Jesus) shall feet them, even my servant David; He shall feed them, and He shall be their shepherd.” Sequel follows,

Ez.37:24, “And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and od them.” Still future! Sequel follows,

Dan.2:44, “And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.”

Dan. 7:14, “And there was given him (Jesus) dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that ALL people, nations and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed.” Sequel follows,

Dan.7:27, “And the kingdom and dominion and the greatness of the kingdom under the whole heaven, shall be given to the people of the saints of the most High, whose kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and all dominions shall serve and obey him,” still future. Sequel follows,

Jesus reign is here figuratively described as a golden age, when the true religion and with it, the Jewish theocracy should be re-established in more than pristine purity and universal peace and joy shall prevail.

All this was doubtless to be understood in a spiritual sense; and so certain devout Jews in Jesus time on earth appear to have received it; Zacharias received it, Luke 1:67. Luke 2:25, Simeon received it. Luke 2:36, Anna received it. Luke 23:50-51, Joseph received it.

But the Jews at large gave to these prophecies a temporal meaning; and expected a Messiah who should come in the clouds of heaven, and as king of the Jewish nation, restore the ancient religion and worship, reform the corrupt morals of the people, make expiation for their sins, free them from the yoke of foreign dominion, and at length reign over the whole earth in peace and glory.

Another tread will follow concerning the Christian sense of the Kindom.

Phil LaSpino