Jun 18, 2012
✟15,502.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's been so long since I have read Jane Austen. I think I have read about three of them, and I like P & P the best. However, Her books were written in the Regency period, and I have sort of re-discovered Regency romance novels. The earlier ones written in the 70's and 80's tend to be more conservative, with not so much sensuality. However, some of the newer ones are "sweet" also.

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
We studied Jane Austen in school, but I didn't really appreciate her until later years. I forget which of her novels I have read, but loved Emma. Another good one was Persuasion. I have watched the film versions of Sense and Sensibility and maybe Northanger Abbey and loved both. I have also listened to the audio version of Emma. I must get back into reading Austen again.

Gillian

Upvote 0

ChasingADream

Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Niagara Falls, Ontario
✟22,349.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I have watched the film versions of Sense and Sensibility and maybe Northanger Abbey and loved both.

Have you seen the BBC version of S&S with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Charity Wakefield as Marianne? It's my favourite, by far. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Have you seen the BBC version of S&S with Hattie Morahan as Elinor and Charity Wakefield as Marianne? It's my favourite, by far. :thumbsup:

No, I haven't. I would love to see it but with at least 3 other adults in the house I don't often get the opportunity to watch tv.

I'm reading Northanger Abbey online atm.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Persuasion is by far my favorite Jane Austen Book and Movie (1995 version) are my favorites. It shows to me how people even 8 1/2 years later never fall out of love with there one true love.

That reminds me, Persuasion is another book I should read again. I've been reading Northanger Abbey online, so will look for Persuasion when I've finished that.

Gillian

Upvote 0
Dec 8, 2011
✟121,316.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Love Jane Austen!

Northanger Abbey is my favorite. I love how it is a satire of the gothic genre while being a gothic novel itself. :clap:

Yes, that is clever. I thought it interesting that when she first submitted the book for publishing it was turned down - I think maybe the publishers didn't realize who she was - and it was eventually published after her death.

Gillian

Upvote 0

Lavender1275

May 4, 2013
✟15,252.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I LOVE Jane Austen! She saved my life - literally!

My favorite is Pride & Prejudice. My husband and I go back and forth all the time about which film version was the best.

I like Sense and Sensibility as well, and like another poster said, I am very much like Marianne wishing I were like Elinor ( or more like Scarlett wishing I were Melanie)!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jannikitty

wise ole owl
Nov 22, 2011
Pacific NW.
✟28,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
My favorite is: Sense and Sensibility. I love the contrast between Marianne (Sense) who is so spontaneous and emotionally high toned to Elinor (her older sister) (Sensibility) who is very practical and pragmatic. I think it reflects both sides of Austen's own character and personality. Good read and even excellent film with Kate Winslet (before her rising star) as Marianne and Emma Thompson (at her very best) as Elinor.

Interesting aside is that in 2003 Emma Thompson married the British Actor (Greg Wise ) who played John Willoughby, the character in the story who jilts Marianne (played by Winslet). In the movie Thompson's character, Elinor, ends up with the young minister played by Hugh Grant. :)

Upvote 0