New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Hurrier You Go, the Behinder You Get

Granny had a small poster right next to her back door. Emblazoned on it were the words, "The Hurrier I Go, the Behinder I Get". It is one of the ways I bring my Granny to my children, who never had the chance to meet her in person. Last year, I got pulled over because I was in a hurry. I admit it, I rolled through the stop sign.

As the officer walked to my window, I gathered my paperwork (insurance forms, registration, license). I looked into his face, smiled weakly and said, "My Granny always used to tell me, the hurrier I go, the Behinder I get."

He smiled weakly back and took my information. Immediately I began berating myself for my driving behavior. I quickly elevated my self talk to a personally destructive tone. "When I was young and cute I never got tickets! I would get warned and told I could go every time!" No longer in my twenties, I felt myself aging exponentially as I remembered a rise in insurance rates and worried some of my friends would see me pulled over. I escalated my emotions, feeling worse and worse and worse as I waited for the officer to bring me my ticket.

I watched in my review mirror as he walked towards my car. I told myself to just accept the penalty with a good attitude. I looked him straight in the eye, gathering up as much positive energy as a wilted flower could muster. I saw his lips move as he spoke words that sounded as if they came out somewhere over my head. "I am not going to give you a ticket today, ma'am. Please take your time when you come to stop signs. Have a great day."

It was at the moment of realization that I would not get a ticket that I started to cry. I blinked quickly, trying to prevent the already overflowing water, and whispered, "Thank you" I had to sit and contain myself for a minute before I continued driving.

When we are constantly in a hurry, we tend to get careless. We miss the messages that are being spoken to us, both the obvious and the subtle. We rush haphazardly through life, with our radios we use to tune into our life constantly filled with static. This causes our Truth to go unnoticed. Statesman Winston Churchill said, "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."

Tuning into this incident, the message I hear is multi-fold. One message is when I try to cut corners, I am actually creating more constraints on my time. Coupled with hurry is a mentality of "not having enough" which spills over into the rest of my life. Never having enough time leads to not having enough money which leads to not having enough supportive friendships which leads to....well, you get the drift.

To "de-program" from the negative spiral, replace the "Not enough" with "I have plenty of time, an abundance of money, a wide network of supportive and caring friends". Refocusing on your positive possibilities rather than the prison of "not enough" has an amazingly magical quality. Suddenly, your abundance will start showing up when and where you least expect it.

Finally, I imagine Granny smiling down upon us from heaven. Seeing that I grew up to be just fine, the mom of three wonderful girls myself. I remember time she spent with me, never seeming to be in a "hurrier" space. She must have been there at some time, or that weathered sign would not be in her kitchen! I knew her as a person with her radio always keenly tuned.

Go forward with ease and steadiness. Bring forward Granny's message to your loved ones. "In plentiful, amazing ways, you are loved."

Julie Jordan Scott
Submitted by Richard