The Horrors of Living as a Left-Handed Person

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't want to dump too much on you at once - cause someone a bad day or something. So, maybe just one left-handed struggle at a time.

I hate it when stores make the cord too short that ties the pen to the credit card machine. Then I can't stretch the pen across the machine to sign my name. Or sometimes they put the credit card machine right next to a post or the cash register, and I can't get my hand into position to sign. I have to resort to just drawing an X - like I'm illiterate.

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There's far fewer guitar choices when you're a lefty.

I play (or rather played) guitar and violin "right-handed" ... whatever that's supposed to mean. Is the fingering supposedly the easier task such that it's relegated to the left hand while the right hand does the complicated task of strumming (picking, bowing - whatever)? What makes that the "right-handed" way to play?

Similarly, baseball is my favorite sport. When I was little I played ambidextrously, because schools rarely had gloves for left-handers; if they did they were these cheap, childish, plastic things, and there was no way I was having that. So, at school I batted and threw right-handed. Outside of school I batted and threw left-handed.

But again, what really makes one way "right-handed" vs. the other? Because you catch with your left hand and throw with your right, that makes it "right-handed?"

Personally, I think handedness is just a state of mind. I consider myself trans-handed, so I've always advocated for hand-neutral terms. Like, why does the word "sinister" stem from the Latin word for "left", and "dexterity" stems from the Latin word for "right"?

It never ends!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yeah I hate how if everything that requires the use of a hand is not going to be designed for you. As a kid I would constantly get magic marker marks on my hand, and many of the scissors were painful to use. Don't get me started on those arm rest desks. Or the school computers where you have to untangle the wires just to free up space to use the mouse. I'd always leave it the way it was when I was done.. and sometimes I'd see a righty use the computer after me.. and try to move the mouse and be like "hey! why is this wire so short?!"

Reactions: J_B_
Upvote 0

StromRider

Feb 25, 2005
North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I play (or rather played) guitar and violin "right-handed" ... whatever that's supposed to mean. Is the fingering supposedly the easier task such that it's relegated to the left hand while the right hand does the complicated task of strumming (picking, bowing - whatever)? What makes that the "right-handed" way to play?

I'm left-handed. I play sports right handed, except for goalie in hockey which I played left-handed. My dad was right handed but played sports left-handed. Both my parents were right-handed, my sister and I are left-handed. There is no rhyme or reason it seems.

But again, what really makes one way "right-handed" vs. the other? Because you catch with your left hand and throw with your right, that makes it "right-handed?"

No idea if it's correct, but I always considered the hand you write with to be the determination of your handedness.

Like, why does the word "sinister" stem from the Latin word for "left", and "dexterity" stems from the Latin word for "right"?

Don't forget gauche is French for left :)

Reactions: J_B_
Upvote 0

Renata8

God is good always
Jun 14, 2020
Florida
✟13,936.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I write with my left hand too, but adapted using both hands to complete right handed tasks. Like correcting school work, I would press clothes with both hands, shifting the heater iron from hand to hand until done, cooking, use both hands too.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm left-handed. I play sports right handed, except for goalie in hockey which I played left-handed.

Yeah, in addition to baseball, I played basketball, and there left-handedness was an advantage when I was younger. I learned to dribble right-handed so I could start the game right-handed, then make a sudden switch to the left where most people aren't prepared to defend. But, eventually my opponents got good enough that such tricks didn't work.

Upvote 0

J_B_

May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I write with my left hand too, but adapted using both hands to complete right handed tasks. Like correcting school work, I would press clothes with both hands, shifting the heater iron from hand to hand until done, cooking, use both hands too.

You should do a taste test to see if your cooking tastes better when you cook left-handed ... though I'm sure it's good either way.

• Haha
Reactions: Renata8
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't want to dump too much on you at once - cause someone a bad day or something. So, maybe just one left-handed struggle at a time.

I hate it when stores make the cord too short that ties the pen to the credit card machine. Then I can't stretch the pen across the machine to sign my name. Or sometimes they put the credit card machine right next to a post or the cash register, and I can't get my hand into position to sign. I have to resort to just drawing an X - like I'm illiterate.

Ask them for a pen that you can use. Carry a pencil and if they don't have a spare pen sign with that or use violence or a pair of tin snips to free the pen so you can use it.

Be creative in causing disruption.

Try saying the contactless system here isn't working, make a fuss about obsolete technology and don't buy the item.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,906.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's far fewer guitar choices when you're a lefty.
hey is that thing with rearranging the strings and playing it up side down pretty effective? Or does it have any problems? (like sometimes you'd have to reverse the bridge also, and that means you have to get it loose to do that?)

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,756.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
hey is that thing with rearranging the strings and playing it up side down pretty effective? Or does it have any problems?
I'm not a lefty, so I can't speak first hand.
I do know that it's a technique that has been used effectively for several years and by some great players. (Jimi Hendrix, Paul McCartney more)
It really depends on the shape of the instrument. A Fender Stratocaster is more conducive than a Gibson Les Paul for example.

Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The neurophysiology of laterality is kinda interesting. I recall reading that over 90% of right handed people are also right foot dominant, and about 2/3 are right eyed. But among left handed people, only about half are left footed and left eyed. And in virtually all right handed people, and most lefties, the speech centers of the brain (Broca's and Wernicke's areas and the angular gyrus) are in the left cerebral cortex. When I have some time, I'll try to find a reference.

Upvote 0