When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was replying to a thread this morning and wrote these words, "The Holy Spirit" then suddenly thought, why do we often put "the" in front of the name of the third person of the Trinity?

To me it feels like a depersonalisation, and must surely have contributed a fair bit to my having at one time feeling alienated from and fearful of the Holy Spirit.

I've wondered about it before, and recently noticed one poster here usually doesn't do it - it always looks odd to me when he writes "Holy Spirit" without "the" in front, yet he's right!

Anyone else got thoughts as to how this came about, and how it might affect people's faith?

I took a look at a few scriptures in the Interlinear Scripture Analyser - http://www.scripture4all.org/
and found that in the Greek, sometimes there's a "the" and sometimes there isn't.

Confused! :scratch:

Reactions: heron

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I was replying to a thread this morning and wrote these words, "The Holy Spirit" then suddenly thought, why do we often put "the" in front of the name of the third person of the Trinity?

To me it feels like a depersonalisation, and must surely have contributed a fair bit to my having at one time feeling alienated from and fearful of the Holy Spirit.

I've wondered about it before, and recently noticed one poster here usually doesn't do it - it always looks odd to me when he writes "Holy Spirit" without "the" in front, yet he's right!

Anyone else got thoughts as to how this came about, and how it might affect people's faith?

I took a look at a few scriptures in the Interlinear Scripture Analyser - http://www.scripture4all.org/
and found that in the Greek, sometimes there's a "the" and sometimes there isn't.

Confused! :scratch:

Well, I suppose good on English likes "the". Throughout the NKJV it says "the" many times mores than NO "the".
Baptised with the HS.
Speaks against the HS.
Of the Son, and of the HS.
By the HS.
But the HS.
Filled with the HS.
And the HS was upon HIM.
And the HS descended.
Receive the HS.
Receive power by the HS.
The promise of the HS.
Receive the Gift of the HS.
Lie to the HS.
Resist the HS.
Receive the HS.
Comfort of the HS.

There you are just a few. In fact I see many don't refer to our Lord Jesus Christ as our Lord Jesus Christ. They prefer to say "Jesus" or "Christ", and I think our Lord Jesus Christ is more heart-felt.

Upvote 0

nephilimiyr

I've Been Keepin My Eyes Wide Open
Jan 21, 2003
Wausau Wisconsin
Visit site
✟40,552.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
How did it come about? Proper English grammer I suppose. It all depends on context. Holy Spirit is not a name, it's a title just like Father isn't a name but a title. Do you see anyone writing just Father when their talking about him? I write or say "the Father" most of the time and usually see or hear everyone else do the same. This is except when I'm talking directly to them, then it's just "Holy Spirit" or just "Father". When making a reference to them together like Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, the "the" should not be used. Notice I did not use Jesus' name there?

Jesus is a name so when we write about him, or talk, we don't say "the Jesus" but simply say Jesus, and it doesn't matter about context because proper grammer says you never do that with a name unless if the context is plural. Like if I said, all the Jesus's please stand up, then you use the "the". Son is a title just like Father and Holy Spirit, along with the other two, it depends on context in the way you are using the title that determines whether you include the "the" or not.

Christ is also not a name but a title. Amazingly alot of people don't know this and think Christ is Jesus' last name, it is not. With writing or saying Christ, it all depends on the context.

I suppose someone with a better edjucation than me on English grammer could explain this better but this should answer your question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I agree.

Generally Christians concur that the Trinity has three parts, but the Holy Spirit tends to come across as an afterthought, or not really part of the triune God. Imagine -- a person/part of the Creator of the Universe, that we have daily access to, that could seem insignificant and come under such scrutiny.

Even if one were to interpret the Holy Spirit of God as an ethereal portion of God (without being a person of the triune God), The Spirit is still an amazing entity. Larger and more powerful than anything we could imagine.

Upvote 0

RisingAbove

Rising Above Hell's Influence
Dec 3, 2008
Athens, WV
✟15,198.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
The way I look at it... it is English grammar that puts it into place...

But also, I look at it as a title of authority... How many other "Holy Spirits" are there? NONE! Therefore, THE Holy Spirit gives Him that title and right to reign as the Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Life.

Upvote 0

Faulty

bind on pick up
Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2005
✟64,989.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree.

Generally Christians concur that the Trinity has three parts, but the Holy Spirit tends to come across as an afterthought, or not really part of the triune God. Imagine -- a person/part of the Creator of the Universe, that we have daily access to, that could seem insignificant and come under such scrutiny.

Even if one were to interpret the Holy Spirit of God as an ethereal portion of God (without being a person of the triune God), The Spirit is still an amazing entity. Larger and more powerful than anything we could imagine.

Part of the problem may be that the Holy Spirit is the least vocal of the three. We have a Bible filled with words spoken by the Father and by Jesus Himself, but there are no conversations (at least that come to my mind) by the Spirit.

I sometomes find myself concentrating my thoughts on the Holy Spirit because its intriguing. He's so powerful and yet so silent. The strong silent type always command respect.

Upvote 0

Optimax

Senior Veteran
May 7, 2006
New Mexico
✟41,659.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The way I look at it... it is English grammar that puts it into place...

But also, I look at it as a title of authority... How many other "Holy Spirits" are there? NONE! Therefore, THE Holy Spirit gives Him that title and right to reign as the Spirit of Truth and the Spirit of Life.

Several good responses.

I like this one best.:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I often think of the Holy Spirit as a "she."

P.S. I know that's kind of random and not exactly on topic...

That's ok, all replies are welcome. I'm still confused about the "the" but never mind. Your answer is interesting.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.