✟20,965.00
Faith
Agnostic
Politics
US-Others
...by weakening child labor laws...

Missouri State Senate
Introduced

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

Schneiderman

Senior Veteran
Aug 9, 2008
Long Island, New York
Visit site
✟12,466.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sounds good to me.

+1

I've been working fairly regularly since I was 10 years old. Let's see... I own two cars and a motorcycle debt-free, I'm paying my own way through a very expensive private college with relatively little debt which, thanks to my savings, my multiple existing avenues of employment and my promising employment prospects upon graduation, I will be able to pay off extraordinarily quickly once I graduate... I don't see how "child labor" harmed me in any way. Probably kept me out of trouble. Certainly fostered the growth of useful skills and gave me an above average level of marketability in a broad array of fields.

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
+1

I've been working fairly regularly since I was 10 years old. Let's see... I own two cars and a motorcycle debt-free, I'm paying my own way through a very expensive private college with relatively little debt which, thanks to my savings, my multiple existing avenues of employment and my promising employment prospects upon graduation, I will be able to pay off extraordinarily quickly once I graduate... I don't see how "child labor" harmed me in any way. Probably kept me out of trouble. Certainly fostered the growth of useful skills and gave me an above average level of marketability in a broad array of fields.
I had a similar story. I have worked as far back as I can remember--cutting grass, raking leaves, shoveling snow, delivering newspapers at 4:00 am because the law forbid me from working at McDonalds until I was 16. The work ethic that I formed when I was underage set the stage for the rest of my life. The single best thing you can do for a young kid is put them to work doing productive labor.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

Are you guys aware of the abuses that led to child labor laws in the first place? Are you aware of the abuses that take place in countries that don't have strict child labor laws. There is a world of difference between having a paper route or doing some babysitting as a pre-teen and genuine child labor.

And why on earth would we want legislation to increase the number of prospective workers when we don't have enough jobs for the workers we have already? And, to do so by trying to cut back laws that are designed to protect children from abusive labor practices that historically have had a strong tendency to distract or remove them from their education?

Upvote 0

lordbt

$
Feb 23, 2007
Mentor, Ohio
✟19,508.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Are you guys aware of the abuses that led to child labor laws in the first place? Are you aware of the abuses that take place in countries that don't have strict child labor laws. There is a world of difference between having a paper route or doing some babysitting as a pre-teen and genuine child labor.
And why dont those countries have labor laws? Because the only way a family in those countries can survive is if everyone, even the children work. Children have worked throughout all of human history. Until the dawn of capitalism, that is, when it became possible for a man to earn enough to support his family so that they didnt have to work.

Upvote 0

brindisi

Oct 16, 2010
New England
✟2,127.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I had a similar story. I have worked as far back as I can remember--cutting grass, raking leaves, shoveling snow, delivering newspapers at 4:00 am because the law forbid me from working at McDonalds until I was 16. The work ethic that I formed when I was underage set the stage for the rest of my life. The single best thing you can do for a young kid is put them to work doing productive labor.

:thumbsup:

Similar story here, but farm work. Handling hay, building fences, etc, even the ocassional helping a cow give birth. Led me to eventually earning graduate degrees, and business management.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
And why dont those countries have labor laws? Because the only way a family in those countries can survive is if everyone, even the children work. Children have worked throughout all of human history. Until the dawn of capitalism, that is, when it became possible for a man to earn enough to support his family so that they didnt have to work.
At the dawn of capitalism? Really? Child labor laws were passed in this country because of child labor abuses...that was a very, very long time after the dawn of capitalism.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

North American Energy Independence Now!
Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
The following may be used as proof of age for purposes of issuing a work permit:

(1) Birth Certificate ;)
(2) Baptismal Record :D
(3) School Record :idea:

(4) Valid drivers license
(5) Any government document attesting to the AGE of the minor.

Keep em off the streets and give them a reason to continue with school, is what I say.

There are pages and pages of restrictions for a minor to hold a job, much less to get a job.

Upvote 0
D

dies-l

And why dont those countries have labor laws? Because the only way a family in those countries can survive is if everyone, even the children work.

I have been active in missions work in one such country. And, from what I have seen this simply isn't true. It is desperation, caused by a mistaken belief that they cannot overcome their circumstances, that causes families to put their children in this. Child labor laws effectively prevent families from pulling their children from school and into the workforce. And, when this happens, whether because of law or because of change in perception, poor families benefit in the long run. We have been watching this cycle break down in the village we work in, which is thriving as more and more families remove their children from the workforce.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
At the dawn of capitalism? Really? Child labor laws were passed in this country because of child labor abuses...that was a very, very long time after the dawn of capitalism.
You mean back when America had most all "white" slaves, and worked the offspring in the most dangerous jobs? Way before the American Revolution, or do you mean the late era, last century?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Thankfully, I got my work ethic from the U.S. Army, I had (shamefully) never held a real job before the age of 18. Because of the U.S. Army, I became a man.

It is obvious, bro. Just a brat, here.

Is it not sad that now there is social disorder in the new political code?

If there was ever a political party that wanted to destroy us, what would they do that is different?

----------------------

Not to late to plant your "V" garden...

Upvote 0

Ton80

Jun 13, 2007
✟2,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
+1

Do you realize that Missouri children can already work without this new proposal? How does your personal experience contribute to the discussion?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟909,665.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
...by weakening child labor laws...

Missouri State Senate
Introduced

SB 222 – This act modifies the child labor laws. It eliminates the prohibition on employment of children under age fourteen. Restrictions on the number of hours and restrictions on when a child may work during the day are also removed. It also repeals the requirement that a child ages fourteen or fifteen obtain a work certificate or work permit in order to be employed. Children under sixteen will also be allowed to work in any capacity in a motel, resort or hotel where sleeping accommodations are furnished. It also removes the authority of the director of the Division of Labor Standards to inspect employers who employ children and to require them to keep certain records for children they employ. It also repeals the presumption that the presence of a child in a workplace is evidence of employment.

Hmmm.. Some good stuff, some bad in my opinion.

Upvote 0

HerbieHeadley

Dec 23, 2007
✟15,282.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
I highly doubt that adding a new pool of low wage workers to the economy is going to decrease the unemployment rate or do anything except depress wages further than they already are.

Seems like exactly opposite of what you want to do if you ask me.
How do you feel about illegal workers and the new employment of 200,000 Federal workers?

We need to skim off 20% of these Federal blood suckers, if we are serious.

We need to make sure, all American employers are employing Americans first.

Upvote 0