Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Garden Tomb is believed by many to be the actual tomb of Jesus.
Garden Tomb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1883, near to the Damascus Gate, General Gordon found a rocky escarpment (now situated just behind a bus station), which from several angles resembled the face of a skull; since one of the possible etymologies for Golgotha is the Aramaic word for skull, and may refer to the shape of the place, Gordon concluded that the rocky escarpment was likely to have been Golgotha. Prior to Gordon, this possibility had also been suggested by Colonel Conder in 1870 (an associate of Lord Kitchener),[11] by Fisher Howe in 1871,[12] and by the German scholar Otto Thenius in 1842.[13]
The Church of the Holy Sepulchre has its tomb just a few yards away from its Golgotha, corresponding with the account of John the Evangelist: "Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid." KJV (John 19:41). In 1869 a number of tombs had also been found near Gordon's Golgotha, and Gordon concluded that one of them must have been the tomb of Jesus. John also specifies that Jesus' tomb was located in a garden;[14] consequently, an ancient wine press and cistern have been cited as evidence that the area had once been a garden, and the somewhat isolated tomb adjacent to the cistern has become identified as the Garden Tomb of Jesus. This particular tomb also has a stone groove running along the ground outside it, which Gordon argued to be a slot that once housed a stone, corresponding to the biblical account of a stone being rolled over the tomb entrance to close it.

Though it's not the site traditionally believed to be the tomb of Jesus, is it possible that from an archeological perspective, this is the real tomb of Jesus?

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
no, in my Archaeology of Jerusalem class we learned that the Garden Tomb was dated to the 8th century BC, whereas the Scriptures tell us that Christ's tomb was a new tomb at His time.

What is that date based on? It's possible that Jesus' portion of the tomb was newly cut.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I also saw on Nat Geo or something like that, where they went into the walls of the Holy Sepulchre, and they found prayers and graffiti on the walls that date to the early centuries.

plus, this was something I heard from Fr John Behr, theologically, Joseph's Tomb was completely virginal like Mary's Womb. so you have Joseph's Virgin Tomb, and Joseph's Virgin Womb, and the Womb points us to the Tomb.

Upvote 0

Zeek

Follower of Messiah, Israel advocate and Zionist
Nov 8, 2010
England
✟11,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Garden Tomb is believed by many to be the actual tomb of Jesus.

Though it's not the site traditionally believed to be the tomb of Jesus, is it possible that from an archeological perspective, this is the real tomb of Jesus?

I have visited both sites many times, my own leaning is towards the traditional placement of the Tomb, which was outside the walls of Jerusalem at the time of Apostles although it is in the heart of the Old City today, just off Christian Quarter Road.

However from the perspective of which place is more peaceful and condusive to prayer and meditation I would go with the Garden Tomb every time...the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is fascinating on many levels but is also dimly lit, rather religious and the atmosphere can be a bit oppressive, especially when there are huge crowds of people; whereas the Garden Tomb is a pleasant Oasis, a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle of East Jerusalem.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
well, but places can have spiritual power - that's why we go on pilgrimage to them. sure, this doesn't make or break Orthodoxy, but i don't think it doesn't matter.

Would you go on a pilgrimage to the garden tomb if archeological evidence pointed to its authenticity? I don't mean to offend anyone by asking this.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
personally, probably not, except maybe purely as a curiosity. i see no reason to doubt what the Church has preserved as the place of His tomb. there's been a Church there since the 300s, but archaeologists are often changing their minds about Biblical things.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
personally, probably not, except maybe purely as a curiosity. i see no reason to doubt what the Church has preserved as the place of His tomb. there's been a Church there since the 300s, but archaeologists are often changing their minds about Biblical things.

What was the site of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher before it became a Christian holy site? Again, please consider that I am trying to have a polite conversation and not offend anyone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
not sure, i dont know that anything was there. St. Helen found the True Cross in 300 something because pious Christians had retained where it was buried, and that site is also included within the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
not sure, i dont know that anything was there. St. Helen found the True Cross in 300 something because pious Christians had retained where it was buried, and that site is also included within the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

According to Eusebius, it was a temple to Aphrodite, built by Hadrian.

During the nineteenth century some doubts were raised concerning the authenticity of the traditional site, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre:

• Prior to Constantine's time, the site was a temple to Aphrodite, built by Hadrian.[3]
    • Archaeology suggests that the exact location claimed for the tomb would have been within Hadrian's Temple, or likely to have been destroyed under the temple's heavy retaining wall.[4][5]
    • The temple's location complies with the typical layout of Roman cities (i.e. adjacent to the Forum, at the intersection of the main north-south road with the main east-west road), rather than necessarily being a deliberate act of contempt for Christianity.
  • A spur would be required for the rockface to have included both the alleged site of the tomb and the tombs beyond the western end of the church.
  • First century Jewish leaders condemn the idea of burial to the west of the city,[6] a condemnation archaeologically corroborated by the locations of the known ancient Jewish graves.[7]
  • The site is currently within the Old City walls, and due to the heights of the terrain, it would be dangerous and unlikely, from a town-defense point of view, for the walls to have previously been east of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.[8]
  • The tombs west of the site are believed to date from the first century, indicating that the site was outside the city at that time, although they could date from centuries prior to that.[9]

Upvote 0

Yoder777

Senior Veteran
Nov 11, 2010
✟22,581.00
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
personally, I think the Garden Tomb would be cool to see, but I don't think it is THE Tomb of Christ. the Pashcal Holy Fire happens where it does for a specific reason. God is not random when He does things.

That's a good point. I forgot about that. It may not be relevant from a purely archeological perspective, but you have a very good point.

Upvote 0

Zeek

Follower of Messiah, Israel advocate and Zionist
Nov 8, 2010
England
✟11,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well, but places can have spiritual power - that's why we go on pilgrimage to them. sure, this doesn't make or break Orthodoxy, but i don't think it doesn't matter.

Curious to what you mean by places having spiritual power?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums