Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does this mean when applied today?

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

Does the intent of this 'Woe' apply today? How and to whom?

riverpastor

Take the Red Pill.
Mar 23, 2004
Ft. Worth
✟20,727.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Could be that the "woe" simply comes a s a natural consequence of unbelief, doubt, fear, control, manipulation, etc. that is found in the life of a modern "pharisee". The block the door for others to truly enter into the reality of the Kingdom of God and won't dare go into it themselves.

Seems like there's already a 'woe' there to me. Think of what they are missing out on. Maybe a greater judgment upon themselves (the pharisee) for not allowing others to enter in because by implementing their own rules and regulations, they bind heavy burdens on the believers but do not lift a finger to do them themselves...

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, He's objecting to the results, but He's really angry--at the situation AND at them. What do you think He meant by adding the, "...you hypocrites!" ???

I think that they, "shut the kingdom of God in men's faces" through their own purposeful, selfish deeds. Jesus was angry here. These guys were leading folks astray. They were 'hypocrites' --folks preaching one thing, yet doing the other. They weren't qualifying for entry into Heaven--and were ensuring that others didn't either. They weren't just making a mistake, they were purposely deceiving. Jesus had a zeal for the irradication of misinformation...only He had good comms with the Father while He was doing it. Righteous indignation.

Who are today's scribes and Pharisees?
What kinds of things do today's scribes and Pharisees do that make themselves hypocrites?
What is it that stops them from qualifying for entry?
What are they doing that causes other men to be denied entry?

I'm asking--really. I've got an idea, but I don't want to be presumptuous with an answer and get slammed! :) What do you think?

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Suffolk Sean said:
I think scribes and pharisees get a bad rap. There are a few places where a good discussion comes out of them. Gamaliel in Acts also seems to be a wise man.
He's not one that Jesus would have been talking to, though, if He's a wise man.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Johnny Be Good said:
What does this mean when applied today?

"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

Does the intent of this 'Woe' apply today? How and to whom?
This actually has to do with the Halacha (Oral Torah) of the Pharisees.

My understanding of it is this: the written Torah was given to Moses on Mt. Sinai. The oral Torah was passed down orally, and is used as a guide to interpretation of Scripture (such as what constitutes work on Shabbat [the Sabbath]).

As time passed, the Sanhedrin became in power during the first century CE. They were essentially a puppet of the Roman government who gave them the power.

Anyways.. they started to add Halacha that was contrary to the written Torah. Things such as washing hands made food clean and stuff like that.

Anyways.. these added restrictions placed an overdue burden upon the lay people.

That in essence is what Y'shua is talking about here.

m.d.

Upvote 0

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Johnny Be Good said:
He's not one that Jesus would have been talking to, though, if He's a wise man.
Actually, JBG, Gamaliel was quite old and he was also the teacher of Sha'ul (Paul).

Furthermore, in the Gospels, it is noted that the Pharisees tried to save Y'shua's life from King Herod, and that he dined with many of them for lunch and dinner (such as Nicodemus).

Furthermore, if one were to study the teachings of the Pharisees and Y'shua, one would see more in common than not. The Pharisees actually supported the doctrine of the physical resurrection, and also the authority of Oral Torah.

m.d.

Upvote 0

Johnny Be Good

If you have not love...
Jun 17, 2004
Waynesville, Missouri
Visit site
✟1,990.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MD--I'm talking about this: the Word says "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

All I'm saying is that if you look at Gamaliel, if he doesn't qualify as a Hypocrite and one who shuts the kingdom of heaven in men's faces, does not enter, and ensures others do not enter, then he doesn't qualify.

Anyway, basically, my question is this: HOW does this apply today--in what form/set of circumstances is it displayed today? Can we come up with a situational example?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muffler dragon

Ineffable
Apr 7, 2004
✟24,396.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Johnny Be Good said:
MD--I'm talking about this: the Word says "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men's faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to."

All I'm saying is that if you look at Gamaliel, if he doesn't qualify as a Hypocrite and one who shuts the kingdom of heaven in men's faces, does not enter, and ensures others do not enter, then he doesn't qualify.

Anyway, basically, my question is this: HOW does this apply today--in what form/set of circumstances is it displayed today? Can we come up with a situational example?
JBG:

I was giving the historical context. That is all.

As far as how it applies today: I see many man-made doctrines that shut the doors of heaven so that others may not enter. Such an example would be tithing. It has no relevancy today, but others will promote the idea that they are acting in disobedience to the Will and Word of G-d.

m.d.

Upvote 0

JimB

Legend
Jul 12, 2004
Nacogdoches, Texas
Visit site
✟34,757.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Here's an overview of Phariaism as Jesus confronted it in Matthew 23 from my files:

Jesus’ sternest rebuke of Pharisaism is found in Matthew chapter 23. Here is an overview of the most glaring defects in pharisaical thinking:

• Pharisees elevate themselves to controlling positions, 23.2-3.
  • Pharisees are not to be emulated, 23.3.
  • Pharisees are inconsistent in their teachings and practices, 23.3.
  • Pharisees make godliness difficult without offering support, 23.4.
  • Pharisees emphasize external appearance and performance over internal purity, 23.5.
  • Pharisees seek to elevate their own offices, titles, influence and authority, 23.6-12.
  • Pharisees take without giving, 23.13-15.
  • Pharisees major on minors and minor on majors, 23.23-24.
  • Pharisees practice an external religion of appearance, 23.25-28.
  • Pharisees persecute those who disagree or resist them, 23.29-39.
This is legalism run amok. All of these traits are commonplace in the modern Christian church. Pharisaism is alive and well in the Twenty-first Century.

\o/

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.