The Exclusive Brethren

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know much about them, and, although I disagree with many of their doctrines and practices, I dislike the constant media and political persecution of the Brethren as though they did not have a right to have a political opinion and express such an opinion. The media picks up on the pettiest little things and uses them to label the Brethren "a bizarre cult" and "extremists", and it seems Today Tonight has a continuing vendetta against them, as they now do against Hillsong, and indeed many religious organisations whether Christian or otherwise.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Hi,

Can anyone tell me much about the Brethren?

the only stuff i know is what i see on today tonight.

thanks.
(Assuming we are talking abaout the exclusive brethren), not a lot - which is the whole point. They are very secretive (unsurprisingly, given their name) so they are bound to arouse suspision, especially when they get involved in politics. Similarly, when the face they show to the world fits several of the characteristics of a cult, they shouldn't be too surprised if they are treated as such.

On the other hand, not all 'Brethren' groups are exclusive.

Upvote 0

Lil'_Miss_Princess_Aimz

Sep 20, 2005
sydney,australia
Visit site
✟30,226.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
hmmm.. i don't know a heap about them... but my boyfriends brother actually works with a few guys who distinguish themselves as part of the 'brethren'... but yea, as i said.. i don't know much about them. sorry.

Upvote 0

heavensprings

Jesus loves me this I know...
Jun 22, 2004
seated in heavenly places
✟8,050.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
This 'exclusive' Brethren came into our town of Singleton in NSW about four years ago when there was a huge building spree going on and would approach people who had just built a house offering them up to a hundred thousand more for their house than it was worth. Of course the owners sold.. I would too. If the houses had pools they would fill them in, and rumour had it they would strip anything flashy or pretentious out of the houses to make them minimalist and simple. There was a lot of secrecy going on and money like you wouldn't believe being thrown around.

The leaders would get about town in long gowns like a priest and the women would wear only long dresses and scarves on their heads.. no make up, long hair.

They built a huge building next door (and behind) to a friend of mine as a worship centre, with a long drive way and walls with locked gates. They also owned a few very expensive businesses in the commercial area of town.

Last year they had to abandon their worship centre as they didn't have council approval to build on the land!!! They soon left town and we haven't heard a word from them since. The businesses in the commercial area were abandoned as well.... very strange people! But they were so secretive no-one could find out what their beliefs were.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
http://www.theexclusivebrethren.com/
some excerpts:
In certain circumstances it is relevant to protect sessions of worship from interruption, consistent with Holy Scripture, "the doors shut where the disciples were" (John 20:19).
These words: "withdraw," "separate" and "with those" are key to the fellowship. They believe that common social activities involve fellowship. These include:
- eating and drinking: (1 Corinthians 5:11)

- memberships: directorships, associations, clubs, life assurance, shares or stock in public companies, health plans, etc: (2 Corinthians 6:14)

- entertainment: (2 Timothy 2:19 and 2 Corinthians 6:17).

Consequently, as a matter of conscience, their social activities and links described as the fellowship and are reserved exclusively for those with whom they eat the Lords Supper.
The Exclusive Brethren practice separation from evil, recognising this as God's principle of unity. They shun the conduits of evil communications: television, the radio, and the Internet. Their charter is 2 Timothy 2:19 "The Lord knows those that are his; and, Let every one who names the name of the Lord withdraw from iniquity."

As a matter of conscience, their social activities and links are reserved exclusively for those with whom they celebrate the Lord's Supper. This sacred remembrance of the Lord Jesus and His death is the core of their Christian fellowship, and the inspiration to live a life apart from worldly pleasures and pursuits; a precious heritage passed down the generations.
Exclusive Brethren believe in Government and are subject to it as outlined by Paul in Romans 13:1. They do not live in countries that do not have a Christian Government. Their approach is non-political. They do not vote , but hold Government in the highest respect as God's ministers , used by Him to restrain evil and provide conditions for the promotion of the glad tidings. Exclusive Brethren hold formal prayer meetings every week and include prayers for the support and guidance of right Government which is clearly of God , and also for divine resistance to the devil's efforts to influence it. Contact with members of parliament or congress is encouraged to express a moral viewpoint of legislation in relation to the rights of God and this ongoing communication is found to be acceptable and productive.

Upvote 0

John Spong is wrong

Feb 13, 2005
Perth
Visit site
✟735.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
From the Four Corners show last week I can tell you that the EB are religious hypocrites and right-wing nuts. True fundamentalists. :| The type of people who, if they were in the US, would always vote for George W Bush no matter how many countries he bombs for oil profits.

They seem to reduce all politics to just two issues - a puritanical obsession with sexual issues (gay marriage, etc.) and, to a lesser degree, abortion.

Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I was just reminded of the incident here in Brisbane (Lytton Road, Bulimba, a couple of blocks away from where my husband used to work) regarding the Exclusive Brethren and the Brisbane City Council. The BCC sued the Exclusive Brethren, for unfairly claiming reduced rates on their 'place of public worship', when in reality the only way anyone could get in was by exclusive invitation. There is some info about that court case on this page.

I also found this page regarding the EB and their practises, including mention of the Exclusive Brethren's involvement in a NZ election.

I've heard rumors about their involvement with (and large donations to) the Liberal Party. They have covered their tracks pretty well apparently, and nothing can be proven.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

tgg

Veteran
Jun 19, 2005
Brisbane
Visit site
✟20,587.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Hey, if you guys and girls want to do research on any topic, I would highly recommend Wikipedia.

Try this for your search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Brethren

I don't agree with their fanaticism and separatism. The Bible states that we are meant to all live together.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So the "media" have placed the EB on trial and you all have the verdict in front of you.
So say the media, Guilty says you.
This is truely pathetic " Look on wikipedia, today tonight, 60 minutes" What?
If you think you are going to get an hounest story from those outlets about a Christian organisation you are in LaLa land.
It is there CHOICE to give there money to who ever they want. There CHOICE.
Here is a thought, go and ask them for there point.
The media do lie you know.
What a bunch of self ritious judgmental fools.

Upvote 0

Tenebrae

A follower of The Way
Sep 30, 2005
floating in the ether, never been happier
Visit site
✟33,648.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
So the "media" have placed the EB on trial and you all have the verdict in front of you.
If you think you are going to get an hounest story from those outlets about a Christian organisation you are in LaLa land.

Pot, meet kettle. and please can I recommend using the spell check feature

http://www.theexclusivebrethren.com/ one of the links I posted, is the EB website, and this one is the story of a former exclusive brethren who I think would be well informed about the matter

As for me, I didn't express an opinion, so the next time you'd like to call me a self righteous idiot, I suggest engaging your brain before you open your mouth rather than making blanket judgments,

Reactions: tigercub
Upvote 0

tigercub

unbelievably fluffy
Site Supporter
May 8, 2006
Brisbane
Visit site
✟27,814.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Is that kind of language really called for, Monarchist? Of course your statement wasn't at all self-righteous...:doh:

Wikipedia has actually been found to have less mistakes in it than Encyclopedia Britannica. Just so you know...:)

Also, The Brisbane City Council Vs Exclusive Brethren incident is true, I can assure you (as a resident of Brisbane)

Upvote 0

Monarchist

Aug 13, 2007
South
✟8,770.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny that. Of all the Christian denominations World wide, all of them are going to have disgruntled former members or problems with councils in someways.
Seems the media are highlighting incidents to tarnish that whole church. One upset family and One upset council?
There seems to be a lot of people judging this Church on hearsay. If your not judging them, I am not accusing you of being judgmental.
I think this is nothing but media manipulation and an attack on a Christian denomination
My spelling - Sorry

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟592,518.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Funny that. Of all the Christian denominations World wide, all of them are going to have disgruntled former members or problems with councils in someways.
Seems the media are highlighting incidents to tarnish that whole church. One upset family and One upset council?
There seems to be a lot of people judging this Church on hearsay. If your not judging them, I am not accusing you of being judgmental.
I think this is nothing but media manipulation and an attack on a Christian denomination
My spelling - Sorry

The EB may call themselves a Christian denomination but they are not, IMO. I am aware of studies of the teachings and doctrines of the EB, they are not nice folk.

Try http://peebs.net/

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] There are some things my electorate could do without. There is an airport and a sewage farm, but less appealing still is the presence among us of a large number of Exclusive Brethren... [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] ...While most religions have elements of wackiness in them, the incongruity of the rules by which the Brethren live is unusually abnormal. Their sewer pipes must go straight to the mains. They eschew shared driveways and prohibit cross-lease property ownership. Their cars must not be turbo charged. The closest they come to sense is banning television. Computers are out, as are radio-telephones, cell phones, record players and bar coders. All this new-fangled stuff is the work of Lucifer, although aircraft conveniently are accepted. To engage in swimming, team sport, entertainment or friendship outside the membership brings swift exclusion from the sect. It goes without saying that their views on the status and role of women make Saint Paul look like a feminist.
- David Lange (former NZ Prime Minister)

[/SIZE][/FONT]

Upvote 0