Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea that everyone gets to heaven is firmly entrenched in our national psyche, and has been for quite some time.

For the past few months my youngest daughter has been studying modern history. As part of the curriculum, she has had to memorize a timeline of important events. Many of these, of course, involve immense tragedies and acts of violence that resulted the death of thousands of people:

• In 1912, the Titanic hit and iceberg and sank on her maiden voyage from England to New York City. 1,517 passengers and crew perished.
  • On December 7, 1941, the Japanese attacked the U.S. fleet at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, killing 2,335 servicemen and 68 civilians.
  • On September 11, 2001, 19 terrorists hijacked four airliners and flew them into the Pentagon, the World Trade Center Towers, and a field in Pennsylvania. The death toll was 2,996.
  • In August, 2005, a category five hurricane named Katrina swept ashore in the U.S. Gulf Coast Region and submerged New Orleans. Over 1,500 people died as a result.
As I helped her go over these events, I was struck by the fact that, in each case, many or most of the people who died had a sense of false security about their situation.

The guests who partied or slept on board the Titanic as it steamed toward destruction were confident in the belief that they were sailing aboard the most impressive and safest ocean liner ever built. The American sailors who went about their business on a calm Sunday morning in the middle of the Pacific Ocean couldn’t imagine that death could rain down from those peaceful blue skies. For the men and women who went to work on September 11, 2001, it was just another day at the office. And for many who stayed behind to face Katrina, it was just another chance for a hurricane party. They believed the levees would hold, and everything would be alright.

But everything was not alright. In each case, the people were actually in grave danger. On top of that, in each case there had been warnings issued about that danger! The Titanic received several radio messages from ships ahead of them, warning of the ice fields. The U.S. government has acknowledged that it had gathered intelligence warning of attacks on Pearl Harbor by the Japanese, as well as warnings about a terrorist attack by Osama Bin Laden. In New Orleans, the weakness of the levees had been the subject of repeated warnings over the years, and residents were told to evacuate ahead of the storm.

However, those warnings were ignored, either by the authorities who should have passed them on to the general public, or by the public itself. And not only were the warnings ignored, but those who proclaimed them were mocked and ridiculed, often by others in authority. In place of the warnings came messages of comfort and calm. “Everything is fine,” they said, “we are in no danger.”

Continued below.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Contrary to Hart’s assertion, it is not the presence of hell that makes Christianity a “morally obtuse and logically incoherent faith”— it is its absence.

Reactions: zippy2006
Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
From the Office of the Readings today in the Divine Office,

"My little ones,
I am writing this to keep you from sin.
But if anyone should sin,
we have, in the presence of the Father,
Jesus Christ, an intercessor who is just.
He is an offering for our sins,
and not for our sins only,
but for those of the whole world." 1 John 1:1-2.3

It's not ours to decide who is saved and who is not. That's God's job.
Just accept that Jesus Christ died for the sins of the whole world,
just as St John stated above.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is timely, providential, you might say. I just wrote an article last Friday to combat the idea of Universal Reconciliation.

In the article, I use Luke 16:19-31 as my proof text drawing special attention to the word "chasm" which is said no one can cross. If this be a parable, then it represents a greater reality, not a lesser one. Also, I give three reasons why it is not a parable. Those reasons are:
1) Jesus does not use names in his parables.
2) It very well could be the same Lazarus that Christ rose from the dead.
3) Christ could be singling out this man Lazarus even if it is not the same Lazarus to honor him.

Thanks for the link, and I join you in combating Universalism!

• Friendly
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,675,041.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is timely, providential, you might say. I just wrote an article last Friday to combat the idea of Universal Reconciliation.

In the article, I use Luke 16:19-31 as my proof text drawing special attention to the word "chasm" which is said no one can cross. If this be a parable, then it represents a greater reality, not a lesser one. Also, I give three reasons why it is not a parable. Those reasons are:
1) Jesus does not use names in his parables.
2) It very well could be the same Lazarus that Christ rose from the dead.
3) Christ could be singling out this man Lazarus even if it is not the same Lazarus to honor him.

Thanks for the link, and I join you in combating Universalism!
It’s just a false Gospel. It’s one thing to hope. It’s another to chop up Scripture to make assured Universalism fit.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,238,368.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I think with some people’s dedication to spreading the heresy of the false gospel of universalism here on a daily basis that it’s worth posting the truth.
Memento mori

Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟245,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single

Jimmy Akin said:
There are a number of things wrong with this argument. It strikes against God’s truthfulness to suggest that Scripture is full of warnings—especially warnings concerning salvation—that are empty, since God never allows anyone to fulfill the requisite conditions. The “let’s make major themes of Scripture purely hypothetical” hermeneutic is not convincing when it is used by Protestants to advocate their agendas; neither is it here. It would also seem cruel of God to warn people they may go to hell, and let them be afraid of this, when it has no chance of happening.

Since universalism already has been condemned by the Church as heretical, neo-universalists have tried to distinguish their position from the condemned version. Unlike prior universalists, they have not claimed that the devil will be reconciled with God (something Scripture and the Church have explicitly rejected). Instead, they simply have failed to discuss the fact that demons will be in hell (prompting one to wonder why, if God did not lift up all the angels who fell [2 Peter 2:4] why he should do so for all men).
This is definitely becoming a problem that bishops--East and West--will need to address. It is primarily a secular heresy invading the Church--a resuscitation of Marcionism--and it therefore affects secular would-be Christians as well as fringe and non-catechized Christians. I have met Catholics who are considering moving to Orthodoxy because they think Orthodoxy affirms Universalism (and this is because Orthodox Christians like Hart and Kimel have published heresy). But if you talk to educated Orthodox Christians they are certainly aware that this is an old heresy (link).

I decided to go ahead and read Hans Urs von Balthasar's Dare We Hope that All Men Be Saved?, since that is the recent Catholic source which promotes a (pseudo)-Universalism. It was written very close to Balthasar's death, and the book is discouraging. It is a scholarly no-show and a theological travesty. I'm not sure what he was thinking. His opponents in the book, such as Augustine and Newman, have by far the better argument, and it is theirs which stands the test of time. It is uncanny how true their words ring, even when being quoted out of context by ideologues.

Balthasar started this ball rolling with his book, but fortunately its lack of quality was more of an exception than a rule in Balthasar's corpus (although I admit I am more careful with him now that I have read it). The same cannot be said of Hart, for the quality of his works has taken a consistent downward turn. His newest book on tradition is more drivel and passion-driven ideology. For those who are interested, Ralph Martin's dissertation, Will Many Be Saved?, is a sound antidote to the pseudo-universalism of Balthasar and Rahner. Of course no Catholic theologians--Balthasar and Rahner included--promote full-blown universalism. They know it is a heresy. But one of the strange wonders of Balthasar is the way that he castigates those who promote a pseudo-universalism which has no real hope of distinguishing itself from full-blooded universalism, such as Karl Rahner and Karl Barth, while simultaneously holding a position which is almost an exact copy of the one he criticizes.

In any case, this is easily one of the most dangerous heresies of our age. It is dangerous in itself, but it is also bedfellows with the popular ideas of our day. We must stand fast against it without falling into an undue pessimism about the prospect of salvation. I do hope that CF is not becoming a breeding ground for this error, but I fear that it is.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Memento mori

Hebrews 9:27–28 CSB17
“And just as it is appointed for people to die once—and after this, judgment— so also Christ, having been offered once to bear the sins of many, will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.” (Emphasis mine)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums