The cup of the new testament

P

phaneroo

[Luke 22:20]; Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

When Christ speaks of the cup (experience) of the New Testament, he means that Christianity is an experience.

However, the ultimate experience for the believer that validates a life lived with one’s blood in this testament is where he becomes the sacrifice. For Paul, the language is that ‘I am already being poured out as a drink offering.’

Paul wrote little. There was so much he left unsaid. The same with Jesus. He told his disciples that there were many things that he wanted to tell them but they were presently unable to bear them. That is one of the signs of the man living in the overflow. He has too much to give and offer but has the judgment to know what men can or cannot contain.

When the psalmist says, ‘you anoint my head with oil and my cup runs over,’ it means that God desires to lead us to those places where men not only draw from what we speak or what we write because that is a limitation in itself but from the overflow of our experiences.

That is ministry past the life of a man because the spirit of sacrifice working in a man looks past a continuity of life in the body to the multiplication of the spirit of Christ.

Scripture Reference

Psalms 23:5, John 16:12, 2 Timothy 4:6

The ultimate experience for the believer that validates a life lived with one’s blood in this testament is where he becomes the sacrifice.