Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
These books helped convince me of a God who might work in a way that the Church teaches

I grew up listening to the soundtrack of Les Misérables, and I had the pleasure of seeing the play on Broadway twice as a young man. In fact, since my father was an actor and knew people in the business, I even got to go backstage after the play to explore the set and meet some of the actors. The music and the story have always been deeply compelling to me, and I knew most of the songs by heart.

While my wife and I were teaching in our first years of marriage, she taught Victor Hugo’s Les Misérables, the novel on which the play is based, in her humanities class. Since I was familiar with the play, I decided to take it on one summer (I say “take it on” because I endeavored to read the unabridged version).

This was also the summer just after I decided that Catholicism was not a heresy, and I was in the precarious position of beginning to see some of the truth and reason in the Catholic faith after trying to disprove it and while working at a private Christian school, though I still found it unlikely and in some ways repugnant.

Continued below.