Veteran
Jun 24, 2007
North of Houston
✟19,404.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
This is from my recent blog entry.

As they saying goes, knowledge is power. A man who lacks it doesn't know when he is being taken advantage of. The man who lacks it is a slave to those who have it. Am I the only person out here who sees a major conflict of interest in government run education?

First, there is no competition or incentive to boost performance if there is a permanent subsidy in place for it. In a supposed "free market" society, competition is the very thing that produces innovation, new ideas, greater performance, and a better standard of living. American companies are now looking overseas for the best and brightest because we don't produce them over here at the pace of the Chinese. Perhaps it's time to bring some free market reform the the education arena.

Second, the government dictates the curriculum of the class room (who actually learned anything about how the federal reserve functions, or how the bureaucrats waste your tax dollars in order to fatten up their own wallets?). One of Marx's ten planks of communist revolution was centralized control of education. What exactly are our children learning in the class room? Propaganda? Are we being intentionally dumbed down so we don't see the very chains that have been placed around us?

Third (which kind of ties in with point #2), you'll never see a school voucher/choice program in this country because the people in power have everything to lose from one being put in place. Alan Keyes says it all right here with this quote.

"Do we really think that a government-dominated education is going to produce citizens capable of dominating their government, as the education of a truly vigilant self-governing people requires?"

The answer, well it's a no brainer. Of course not. These bureaucrats in DC have a vested interest in keeping you dumbed down. They want to take everything you have from you, redistribute an amount just small enough to keep you voting them back into office, expand the size, scope, and power of government, reap the harvests of your own labor, get rich off your hard earned dollar, and pretend they are doing you a favor by creating more and more welfare programs to go along with every other program/subsidy already in place. If they let the education system fall into the hands of self governing individuals, the power would shift back to the people, and we'd control our government instead of it being the other way around.

This is why the recent California home schooling ban is a threat to the liberty of this entire country. To limit a parent's right to teach their child what they wont teach them in the public schools in this country constitutes as fascism. Make no mistake about it, these bureaucrats, despotic judges, bankers, and leftists involved at the various higher education facilities across this country have an agenda. It's time to pull yourself out of the matrix and free you mind from the things they are trying to teach you. Question authority, think for yourself, free your mind, look at the principles this nation was founded upon, and look at what this nation has become. The truth will set you free, and that truth is that throughout history, there has always been a small group of people looking to take advantage of the masses.

Reactions: Autumnleaf

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
Government education is far from perfect, but there are conflicts of interest in alternative systems, too. There is a conflict of interest in private religious schools, because the school wants to teach the students how to be good thinkers, but also to come out with a strong belief in a certain religion. For-profit schools have a conflict of interest in wanting to give the students a good education, but also cutting corners wherever possible to make money. There is no perfect solution.

This is why the recent California home schooling ban is a threat to the liberty of this entire country. To limit a parent's right to teach their child what they wont teach them in the public schools in this country constitutes as fascism.
Why can't parents teach them at home, in addition to what the school teaches? I'm skeptical of the homeschooling ban, though. And children are people, not the property of their parents. Parents don't have absolute rights over their kids.
Make no mistake about it, these bureaucrats, despotic judges, bankers, and leftists involved at the various higher education facilities across this country have an agenda.
Do these bankers have long, curly black locks? And hooked noses? And nasally voices and cups full of the blood of Christian children? C'mon, you're going into conspiracy theory territory with "bankers".

It's time to pull yourself out of the matrix and free you mind from the things they are trying to teach you. Question authority, think for yourself, free your mind, look at the principles this nation was founded upon, and look at what this nation has become.
I don't think anyone would disagree with this.

The truth will set you free, and that truth is that throughout history, there has always been a small group of people looking to take advantage of the masses.
Like corrupt priesthoods? Or capitalist industrialists? Government isn't the only source of evil in the world.*

*or bankers?

Last edited:
Reactions: SallyNow
Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
My friend homeschooled his children until high school. When his daughter's history teacher taught her that militias were a bunch of gun nutters she corrected him.

Some are, some aren't. Let's not forget the "Freemen" in Montana who were basically scam artists manipulating the law to put bogus liens on the property of their neighbors--but that didn't stop the right-wingers from taking them in as the darlings of the militia movement.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Homeschool v. Public School has its pros and cons on each side. While public schools instill vastly incorrect rhetoric (namely in history, where ceartain issues are overlooked and other more favorable issues are highlighted), homeschooling my be equally unbalanced. Also, while homeschooled children are generally more intelligent, they tend to suffer from social retardation.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Public schools seem to cater to the most moronic students which makes the smarter students edgy/bored so they bounce around in their seats, which gets school nurses and teachers to push ritalin on such children. Home schooling is underated. Colleges love these kids, the kids win spelling bees more than their public school peers etc...

Upvote 0

GraceLikeRainFallsDown

Everyone Needs Grace
Mar 15, 2006
✟1,986.00
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you personally know of any of these children that suffer from "social retardation?" Here's a generalization of my own, I have found that most people that make these statements do not really know any homeschooled children well.

This is simply not true. I find most homeschooled children I know to be more confident when speaking to others and willing to approach other children they do not know. They also usually have a lot of activities with peers.

Why can't parents teach them at home, in addition to what the school teaches?
*or bankers?

If I taught my daughter everything that I felt she needed to be prepared for college and to be an intelligent adult that my local public school did not cover during class time, she would not ever get to socialize/sleep. I did do what you suggest for pre-school/kindergarten. Those were only half days a few times a week. So, I could teach her how to read after she went to school to play.

Our Local schools are academically poor in my area. That is why I homeschool her. Yes, I am a Christian. But, I do not homeschool her for religious reasons. The curriculum is so poor here that I was concerned my child would glide through school with straight A's and then fail in college.

You do realise that parents who homeschool their kids have ulterior motives aswell, right? It seems to me that alot just don't want their offspring exposed to any point of view that challenges their (often rather whacky) world view. That's not healthy.
Yet again another generalization that is not true here.

My only motive is to give my child the education to succeed in life.

I do not believe in hiding any worldviews from my child. I do not want her to be ignorant to the world (as crazy as it is). I want her to think independently. The public school she last attended did not want her to think for herself. They would only represent one side on many issues. (i.e. Global Warming, the evils of big business, negative opinions about people in the news) I believe in putting as much information out there and letting them draw their own conclusions. We actually have very "adult" conversations/debates that she would never have at the local school.

I do teach my child with a balance of information. I go out of my way to add to the curriculum to balance it. I only wish the public schools would give all the information to the kids and let them think for themselves.

Society would be better if the next generation of children were independent thinkers and not just regurgitating propaganda.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Do you personally know of any of these children that suffer from "social retardation?" Here's a generalization of my own, I have found that most people that make these statements do not really know any homeschooled children well.

This is simply not true. I find most homeschooled children I know to be more confident when speaking to others and willing to approach other children they do not know. They also usually have a lot of activities with peers.

Yes, I do. I went to a public university and you can spot a homeschooled kid a mile off. And its not that they are shy or withdrawn, just the opposite, they try too hard and often come off as annoying. Its not thier fault, they have just spent their entire lives with their parents and don't have the social skills required to interract with their peers.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I do. I went to a public university and you can spot a homeschooled kid a mile off. And its not that they are shy or withdrawn, just the opposite, they try too hard and often come off as annoying. Its not thier fault, they have just spent their entire lives with their parents and don't have the social skills required to interract with their peers.

Where do they end up compared to their peers? I wonder if not being able to relate to some of their peers is a good thing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
It's silly to categorize all homeschool kids as one thing or another. Homeschool can be a wonderful alternative to a failing public school, or a pathetic attempt to shelter a child from the outside world by teaching them about how Jesus rode dinosaurs and rock music is evil. It all depends on the intentions, skills, and creativity of the homeschooling family.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Where do they end up compared to their peers? I wonder if not being able to relate to some of their peers is a good thing.

Not being able to relate to some experiences your peers have had is not quite the same as lacking the skills to function in society.

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Not being able to relate to some experiences your peers have had is not quite the same as lacking the skills to function in society.

Being taught how to function in a public school may prepare someone how to function in a less demanding environment than a home school. Public school could also teach them to compromise their values from a young age in the interest of getting rewards, while homeschool may steele students against such compromise. I leave that to the gentle reader to decide if it is good or not.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Being taught how to function in a public school may prepare someone how to function in a less demanding environment than a home school. Public school could also teach them to compromise their values from a young age in the interest of getting rewards, while homeschool may steele students against such compromise. I leave that to the gentle reader to decide if it is good or not.

That is a good point, a child spending the entirety of his/her time with his/her parents will allow a multitude of values to be instilled. But, as I have seen from homeschooled children in college, they tend to overdo it. They weren't weened into being able to say no (a cigarette offer in junior high, alcohol in highschool, drugs in college, ect...), so when they are tested their values may be compromised.

I'm not saying all HS kids are like this. Several of them turn out to be very intelligent, social people. But the ratio of those who succumb to temptation in college between homeschooled and public schooled is about equal. Granted, this is just personal observation and nowhere near a formal study.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My friend homeschooled his children until high school. When his daughter's history teacher taught her that militias were a bunch of gun nutters she corrected him.

We homeschool our kids.

When we considered putting our two oldest in a government run high school, we were told that they were so far ahead of the other children that they didn't even have a program that would fit them.

They're now taking classes at a local college.

My son had a similar experience last summer when a family friend, who happens to be a government school history teacher (just as I was for a couple of years) made the mistake of saying that "everybody knows that the National Guard is just for people who can't make it in the ''real Army".

One of my degrees is in military history (if you've ever seen the Mel Gibson movie, "We Were Soldiers", Hal Moore, the guy he portrayed in the movie, was one of my college professors) and my son loves military history.

So our friend, the teacher with twenty some years experience, got a twenty minute dissertation on the history of National Guard from our thirteen year old son.

The guy was completely speechless. All he could say was "I had no idea! I've got to go look that up!"

He's a great guy, but I wouldn't want him teaching my kids.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Who says they can't relate to their peers? Our kids are homeschooled and are were picked by their peers to be leaders. One daughter tutors government school kids and mentors younger children and they all think she relates just fine.

My oldest son was picked to be a leader in our church's youth group by his peers so, obviously, they think he can relate to them.

Likewise, our next son is excelling at scouting and in sports. The other children look up to him.

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Homeschool v. Public School has its pros and cons on each side. While public schools instill vastly incorrect rhetoric (namely in history, where ceartain issues are overlooked and other more favorable issues are highlighted), homeschooling my be equally unbalanced. Also, while homeschooled children are generally more intelligent, they tend to suffer from social retardation.

That hasn't been my experience with the homeschooled children I've met. Just the opposite, in fact. They tend to be much more comfortable in social situations.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
While you chose to raise your kids with a pro-military/pro-patriotic attitude, which I will wholeheartedly agree with, how many homeschooling parents perpetuatate their anti-patriotic or racist or extremetist agendas though distorting what their children learn?

Upvote 0

WarEagle

Nov 12, 2006
✟7,149.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While you chose to raise your kids with a pro-military/pro-patriotic attitude, which I will wholeheartedly agree with, how many homeschooling parents perpetuatate their anti-patriotic or racist or extremetist agendas though distorting what their children learn?

I don't know, but I do know that as much as I may disagree with it, I have to support their right to raise their children the way they want to.

Upvote 0

cgid3

Mar 12, 2007
Louisiana
✟7,798.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
You are correct. Parents should be able to raise thier kids how they choose. But at what point does society have the respnsibility to step in and stop the indocrination of a child? If your neighbor were teaching his kid to hate people of your race? What if the father of the kid promoted violence towards you and your family?

The maximum exposure to parents may limit individual developement. If the child spends all of his time with his parents, they can become them, essentially. In your case, WarEagle, they became intelligent, productive, responsible persons, I'm sure mimicing thier parents. Though alternatively, this can be very tragic for the future of the child if the parents infuse lessons with their personal hatred or biases.

Upvote 0