DArceri

Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord.
Nov 14, 2006
✟11,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
OK here's a point she is not doing it to promote stemcell research or abortion. And yes I against both. She is doing it to raise money to help sick children. Now again what about the children?
Find another top name that is a christian to promote it...Why is Cheryl Crow such a necessity? ....Any top name that is truly a christian should be calling in to ask if they need him or her. Shouldn't be that difficult.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Find another top name that is a christian to promote it...Why is Cheryl Crow such a necessity? ....Any top name that is truly a christian should be calling in to ask if they need him or her. Shouldn't be that difficult.
She's considered a necessity because she is a hometown girl.

Upvote 0

canadiancatholic

Aug 14, 2005
✟8,032.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Maybe he was afraid he was gonna have to shake hands with her? After all she only uses one square of toilet paper! But honestly folks, the man is standing up for his beliefs and the character of his church. There is nothing wrong with that. If the charity falls way short of it's target then maybe there would be something to say, but we don't know yet. And how do you know that this performer wasn't a point of contention all along and the arch bishop waited until the 11th hour to pull out. This could have been an issue with the committe from the start.

Upvote 0

ArcticFox

To glorify God, and enjoy him forever.
Sep 27, 2006
Japan
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I'm glad he's willing to be firm on his beliefs. If this benefits a Catholic foundation, they have every right to withdraw their support if they find that the source of the income is considered unholy.

Although it's easy to argue this both ways, it is simply a matter of Romans 14: this offends the conscience of a believer in Christ, and so he has the right to withdraw his support and we should support his decision to be faithful to his conscience in Christ.

Upvote 0

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Maybe he was afraid he was gonna have to shake hands with her? After all she only uses one square of toilet paper! But honestly folks, the man is standing up for his beliefs and the character of his church. There is nothing wrong with that. If the charity falls way short of it's target then maybe there would be something to say, but we don't know yet. And how do you know that this performer wasn't a point of contention all along and the arch bishop waited until the 11th hour to pull out. This could have been an issue with the committe from the start.
You made a very good point.

Upvote 0

INRI2

Apr 4, 2006
✟8,474.00
Faith
Catholic
the crux of the matter is this and only this.

If miss crow has publically proclaimed her possition on abortion in contrast to the churches possition then it would be sending out mixed messages to the world for someone who represents the church to have her perform at a do.

The church at this time needs to be in stark contrast to the pro choice possition in order to give an effective witness to the gospel of life that is why it is so imperitive that the archbishiop resign his position on the board - it is different for the organisation because they dont directly represnt the church....the archbishop does.

Upvote 0

Celticflower

charity crocheter
Feb 20, 2004
East Tenn.
✟9,279.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
While I think the archbishop is perfectly within his rights to protest the appearance of Ms. Crow at this event, I can't help but wonder---- Was every performer at past events without some issue that the Catholic church would not agree with? Is it just the fact that she is more vocal on her stands?

I think there may be alot more to the story than we are hearing.

Upvote 0

Gus2009

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,346.00
Faith
Baptist
Its easy for christians to condemn sheryl crow for supporting stem cell research and yet no christians will condemn the mother who has the fertility treatment that will create the excess embryos. Im sure many christian women get those same treatments. The lack of understanding and hypocrisy on this issue is ridiculous. Not every embryo can be used to make a "snowflake child". You cant be against stem cell research and be for certain types of artificial pregnancies. This would be like being against slavery while at the same time supporting the slave trade. I suppose thats a different argument though

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~RENEE~

Legend
Jan 21, 2005
home
✟28,526.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Its easy for christians to condemn sheryl crow for supporting stem cell research and yet no christians will condemn the mother who has the fertility treatment that will create the excess embryos. Im sure many christian women get those same treatments. The lack of understanding and hypocrisy on this issue is ridiculous. Not every embryo can be used to make a "snowflake child". You cant be against stem cell research and be for certain types of artificial pregnancies. This would be like being against slavery while at the same time supporting the slave trade. I suppose thats a different argument though
And this is why when the dr. told me I could not have a baby. I went to prayer instead of the DR.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Crowe was used in political ads in this man's backyard directly opposed to teachings this same man has dedicated his life to supporting. Are we now suppose to be shocked that he would have the nerve to object, even to the point of resigning from the board, when his concerns about Crowe performing in a Catholic Charity event, operated by a Catholic Foundation on behalf of a Catholic Hospital were ignored!

In my mind the controversy here would be why is our culture to the point that people would be shocked or as one man said in one of those links very "disappointed" in the Cardinal's actions or seemly unable to get it. Have gotten so universally accepting and politically correct that logic and reason no longer matter?

Upvote 0
C

catlover

While I think the archbishop is perfectly within his rights to protest the appearance of Ms. Crow at this event, I can't help but wonder---- Was every performer at past events without some issue that the Catholic church would not agree with? Is it just the fact that she is more vocal on her stands?

I think there may be alot more to the story than we are hearing.

Well the uppity womin' thing probably is what got his goat.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
Good for the Archbishop. His actions will make the much needed statement that it is not okay to support abortion, embryonic stem cell research ect..

I wish I had a better understanding of the structure/relationship between the Archdiocese and the hospital. There must be a reason the the Archbishop is just not banning her performance. We have similar problems here with Cardinal Geiorge - he is unable to really control things at Catholic colleges and hospitals.

Who cares about Cheryl Crow - there must be better singers out there anyhow. The hospital should figure out another way to raise money.

Upvote 0

DrBubbaLove

Roman Catholic convert from Southern Baptist
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2004
Left coast
✟77,600.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
my understanding is that the good bishop served on the board for the fund raising foundation. While he could serve as an advisor in that capacity, technically speaking I do not think his Church roles as an Arch Bishop give him any administrative authority over a Catholic hospital or a Catholic Charity. While those organizations certainly do well to seek his advice, in my experience they are free to operate independently from the Church. In fact by apparently ignoring this Bishops advice and in so doing essentially forcing him to resign from the board, it demonstrates they are indeed operating independently.

In his statements he makes it clear that one reason he resigned is so that his position on the board of the foundation would not give the faithful or the public a mixed message; specifically that the Church endorsed/approved/supported an entertainer that had so recently publicly campaigned in this same parish/diocese on issues directly opposed to Church teachings. To him it is an appearance issue, one that he should act to avoid.
To me the real wonderment is why apparently no other Catholic adminstrators on this board or with the hospital or in the event planning have come out in support of their Bishop.

Upvote 0

Monica02

Senior Veteran
Aug 17, 2004
✟3,547.00
Faith
Catholic
my understanding is that the good bishop served on the board for the fund raising foundation. While he could serve as an advisor in that capacity, technically speaking I do not think his Church roles as an Arch Bishop give him any administrative authority over a Catholic hospital or a Catholic Charity. While those organizations certainly do well to seek his advice, in my experience they are free to operate independently from the Church. In fact by apparently ignoring this Bishops advice and in so doing essentially forcing him to resign from the board, it demonstrates they are indeed operating independently.

In his statements he makes it clear that one reason he resigned is so that his position on the board of the foundation would not give the faithful or the public a mixed message; specifically that the Church endorsed/approved/supported an entertainer that had so recently publicly campaigned in this same parish/diocese on issues directly opposed to Church teachings. To him it is an appearance issue, one that he should act to avoid.
To me the real wonderment is why apparently no other Catholic adminstrators on this board or with the hospital or in the event planning have come out in support of their Bishop.

I do know that Cardinal George does have final say in amtters of Catholic Charities but I think, like the situation in St. Louis, he has no real authority over colleges (except the seminary) and hospitals.

My observations have been that there is a majority of Catholics involved in all Catholic institutions who simply do not believe in the teachings of the Church. The Catholic administrators on the board of this hospital very well may not be faithful Catholics.

Upvote 0

DArceri

Exercise daily -- walk with the Lord.
Nov 14, 2006
✟11,256.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Do you think the issue betweeen these two ways is one way destroys life to make life whereas the other does not? Or am I wrong in my understanding.

Upvote 0

Gus2009

Jul 20, 2006
✟15,346.00
Faith
Baptist
Do you think the issue betweeen these two ways is one way destroys life to make life whereas the other does not? Or am I wrong in my understanding.
Im not sure if i understand youre question. I was basically saying that IVF was the source of the stem cells being used for stem cell research. Being against stem cell research and not IVF seemed hypocritical to me. However, it was brought to my knowledge that the Catholic church is opposed to IVF so my point is a null one, at least concerning Catholics. Perhaps, with certain Protestant denominations or Orthodox it would still apply, I am not sure because i do not know their stance on the issue.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.