The Case of Jean Delance and Oklahoma University

Sistrin

We are such stuff as dreams are made on...
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
Location Location Location
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are aspects of this story I don't understand. I will elaborate, but first the background.

Four-star recruit Jean Delance decommits from Oklahoma following racist video

Oklahoma football might already be feeling effects of the racial chant that caused a fraternity to be banned from campus.

Four-star offensive line recruit Jean Delance announced Monday he was decommiting from the Sooners and reopening his recruitment.

Delance originally committed to the Sooners in November, but has seen his stock rise in recent months and several more offers from FBS programs have rolled in. Texas and Texas A&M are considered the frontrunners for the Mesquite, Texas product.

It’s no coincidence that Delance’s decommitment for “personal reasons” came a day after a video surfaced that depicted an Oklahoma fraternity participating in a racial chant. That fraternity was banned from campus on Monday amid protests, which included several football players and coach Bob Stoops.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf...klahoma-following-racist-video-190902500.html

I can not post the video itself here because a word used violates forum rules, but it is easy to find. The incident involving SAE is detailed here:

Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Fraternity Closed After Video of Racist Chant

Sigma Alpha Epsilon's national headquarters closed its chapter at the University of Oklahoma Sunday after a video emerged purportedly showing members of the chapter singing a racist chant.

The video quickly gained visibility online. It was obtained and posted to Twitter by Unheard, which describes itself as "an alliance of black students organized for change within campus administration and atmosphere." The video shows young men on a bus chanting, "There will never be (something) at SAE."

The tweet, directed at OU president David Boren, said "Racism is alive at The University of Oklahoma."

Source: Oklahoma Sigma Alpha Epsilon: Fraternity Closed After Video of Racist Chant - ABC News

And here:

University of Oklahoma fraternity closed after racist chant

Put the above into a search engine and it should come up to the story as covered by the Washington Post.

A few points.

I don't blame Delance for his decision. If I were in his position I would probably do the same thing, tell OSU to stuff it and go looking for greener pastures. OSU itself is not blameless here, for just as Penn State did regarding the Sandusky case the Administration of OSU is ultimately responsible for the actions of those it houses. Delance may also be influenced by better offers elsewhere, but still he is justified in his decision.

It is actions of SAE as a fraternity which baffle me. Their homepage at the University of Oklahoma has been taken down, so I had to use the one featured for Oklahoma State. There, the SAE features this as part of their identity statement:

The mission of Sigma Alpha Epsilon is to promote the highest standards of friendship, scholarship, and service for our members based upon the ideals set forth by our Founders and as specifically enunciated in “The True Gentleman.”

Their Mission Statement, or Creed, reads thus:

"The True Gentleman is the man whose conduct proceeds from good will and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self-control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others, rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe."

Source: Sigma Alpha Epsilon, Oklahoma Mu - Sigma Alpha Epsilon - Oklahoma Mu

Yet in the video you see members of SAE chanting a slogan which so obviously promotes both a racist caricature and racism it quickly puts to the lie the entire "True Gentleman" narrative. For those of you who go and watch the video, the actions seen are amazing in their arrogance, ignorance, and sheer stupidity.

Here is what I am having trouble understanding in regard to this incident.

That college students today, having been raised in our hyper-sensitive culture, could believe the expression of such sentiments, even if in jest, would be overlooked. That these same students would promote words such as honor, virtue, and a sense of propriety as a code to live by and then chant racial slurs when they think no one is watching.

That students in any university today, given the dominance of liberalism in the college and university system, would think it acceptable to chant in this manner even if that is what they truly believed.

That given we live in an age where anyone can be recorded on video anywhere at any time, that even if all of the students seen in the video actually believed and felt as they spoke they would be so smug as to think no one would record it and they wouldn't be found out. I mean how stupid could these University level students be?

In my time here as a member I have spoken out against the knee-jerk and predictable response of many liberals to label every comment they don't like as racism, and their propensity to see racism everywhere in everything. But this is different. These SAE kids might as well have marched onto campus grounds and burned a cross. They could hardly have been more blatant in their actions.

Oklahoma University did the right thing in shutting them down. In addition I went to the Oklahoma University Yik Yak page, but couldn't find any commentary from the student body at large.

Last edited:
Reactions: tulc
H

HorsieJuice

Yet in the video you see members of SAE chanting a slogan which so obviously promotes both a racist caricature and racism it quickly puts to the lie the entire "True Gentleman" narrative. For those of you who go and watch the video, the actions seen are amazing in their arrogance, ignorance, and sheer stupidity.

Here is what I am having trouble understanding in regard to this incident.

That college students today, having been raised in our hyper-sensitive culture, could believe the expression of such sentiments, even if in jest, would be overlooked. That these same students would promote words such as honor, virtue, and a sense of propriety as a code to live by and then chant racial slurs when they think no one is watching.

Really? Are you new to the internet or something? :p People say ignorant, horrendously offensive stuff on facebook and twitter all the time - and not just in what they think is private. Lots of it is completely public, for all the world to see.

As an example, there's one person with whom I'm acquainted through a professionally-related facebook group. From everything I can see regarding his interactions on this group, he's very good at what he does; he's also an independent contractor and frequently does higher-profile corporate and government projects. However, his personal facebook page is FULL of anti-Muslim screeds; every other post is "raghead this" or "raghead that." It's unbelievable, really surprising for someone who's otherwise pretty intelligent, and it's all completely unprotected (we're not facebook friends, yet I can see all of it). I can't imagine one of his employers seeing that and not canning him. And yet, there it is...

That students in any university today, given the dominance of liberalism in the college and university system, would think it acceptable to chant in this manner even if that is what they truly believed.

You tend to overstate the influence of liberalism in any college, but that's even more true in a conservative place like Oklahoma.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would posit that perhaps universities are not always as enlightened, liberalized, or tolerant as one may think. They are populated by individuals with. Aries thoughts and opinions and the indoctrination so often claimed, occurs, really in only particular classes. Also, I kinda laugh at frat motto's. Clearly they were written in a bygone era where respect, propriety, decency and respect were important. I frequently visit other media websites. SAE do NOT have a sterling repuTation across the country.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I frequently visit other media websites. SAE do NOT have a sterling reputation across the country.

I wondered about that. I haven't really looked into SAE around the web but one of the stories mentioned this isn't the first time they have made news for a less than admirable reason.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟367,964.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I wondered about that. I haven't really looked into SAE around the web but one of the stories mentioned this isn't the first time they have made news for a less than admirable reason.
;)

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are aspects of this story I don't understand. I will elaborate, but first the background.

Sistrin: Well-thought-out OP.:thumbsup:

The consensus on neurological development is that males do not reach a "mature plateau" until mid-to-late twenties. Women usually around 20. That is one theory as to why young women tend to mate with older males.

That said, we then have fraternaties and social media where exhibitionistic drinking and other mindless behaviors are celebrated. This culture has long tolerated sexual assaults, as has been recently reported more openly.

It may take a generation to change these attitudes among typical students, administration and faculty.

My "recommendations" include ditching the "Greek" system altogether. It is an antiquated institution. The athletic programs are already working on dealing with the misconduct of student-athletes and coaching staffs.

My other suggestion, which may seem counter-intuitive, is to gradually lower the legal drinking age back to 18. The binge-drinking among the 18-20 age group is fueled, in part, by the limitations where young people can drink. I think it would be better to have them be able to drink more casually rather than have to do so in "underground" settings where they are more likely to be exploited and encouraged to become intoxicated.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

nightflight

Veteran
Mar 13, 2006
Your dreams.
✟30,570.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The consensus on neurological development is that males do not reach a "mature plateau" until mid-to-late twenties. Women usually around 20. That is one theory as to why young women tend to mate with older males.

A good reason the voting age should be raised.

Upvote 0

Sistrin

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2012
✟197,980.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also, I kinda laugh at frat motto's. Clearly they were written in a bygone era where respect, propriety, decency and respect were important.

This is one reason why I so loved military service, and defend it to this day. The US Military is one of the few organizations I know of where adherence to ideals such as respect, decency, propriety, and honor are not just expected of its members but demanded. I am not saying there are those who get into the military who are not reprobates, who adhere to lower standard, for of course there are. But they are weeded out. To be successful you either follow the code or eventually wind up back on the block.

Sistrin: Well-thought-out OP.

Thanks, really.

Yep, I think you are correct about that. I remember High School.

That said, we then have fraternaties and social media where exhibitionistic drinking and other mindless behaviors are celebrated. This culture has long tolerated sexual assaults, as has been recently reported more openly.

You know you make me want to shout...

Animal House reference.

When I went to college I attended one Fraternity recruiting function. They spoke about the goal of becoming pillars in the community, but followed that up with a kegger. I didn't join.

It may take a generation to change these attitudes among typical students, administration and faculty.

But see, here is my dilemma. There is more than one generation who have come through the system during the hyper-sensitive age already. That these idiots thought they could act with such impunity is mind boggling. In judging actual racism it is one thing to not like someone. It is entirely another to sing about lynchings.

Sure, they were obviously drunk, but still.

My "recommendations" include ditching the "Greek" system altogether. It is an antiquated institution. The athletic programs are already working on dealing with the misconduct of student-athletes and coaching staffs.

I understand but I doubt it will happen.

My other suggestion, which may seem counter-intuitive, is to gradually lower the legal drinking age back to 18. The binge-drinking among the 18-20 age group is fueled, in part, by the limitations where young people can drink. I think it would be better to have them be able to drink more casually rather than have to do so in "underground" settings where they are more likely to be exploited and encouraged to become intoxicated.

Didn't we try that once?

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is one reason why I so loved military service, and defend it to this day. The US Military is one of the few organizations I know of where adherence to ideals such as respect, decency, propriety, and honor are not just expected of its members but demanded. I am not saying there are those who get into the military who are not reprobates, who adhere to lower standard, for of course there are. But they are weeded out. To be successful you either follow the code or eventually wind up back on the block.
If you are old enough to sign up, you're old enough to buy a beer.
Thanks, really.
Doesn't mean we're going staedy or anything.:cool:
Yep, I think you are correct about that. I remember High School.
Restraining order still in effect?
You know you make me want to shout...

Animal House reference.

When I went to college I attended one Fraternity recruiting function. They spoke about the goal of becoming pillars in the community, but followed that up with a kegger. I didn't join.
I figured I could act like a fool without joining a club.
But see, here is my dilemma. There is more than one generation who have come through the system during the hyper-sensitive age already. That these idiots thought they could act with such impunity is mind boggling. In judging actual racism it is one thing to not like someone. It is entirely another to sing about lynchings.
A drunk man's words are a sober man's thoughts.
I understand but I doubt it will happen.
True
Didn't we try that once?

Yes, the Nazis, er, Mothers Against Drunk Drivers got out of hand. I heard the founder even got fed up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
He blames the University for the one time chant of some stupid students?
Does he think he can find a college campus that doesn't have idiots? No matter how small or large, a campus will have some bigots.
The U. acted quickly and punished severely the students that were involved.
How could they act any better?
What? They should have known? OSU is probably a pretty big school, I bet they don't know half the stupid stuff that goes on at that college.

Better to know that a school will react to problems than to commit to a school and find out they don't care about things like this.

Oh, wait is it 15 seconds of fame?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
He blames the University for the one time chant of some stupid students?
Does he think he can find a college campus that doesn't have idiots? No matter how small or large, a campus will have some bigots.
The U. acted quickly and punished severely the students that were involved.
How could they act any better?
What? They should have known? OSU is probably a pretty big school, I bet they don't know half the stupid stuff that goes on at that college.

Better to know that a school will react to problems than to commit to a school and find out they don't care about things like this.

Oh, wait is it 15 seconds of fame?

He is free to choose based on his own reasoning. There are many other colleges willing to offer him a scholarship. Free market thingy at work.

Upvote 0

USCGrad90

Seeker
Mar 19, 2013
Greenwood, South Carolina, USA
✟15,924.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The video to me was not shocking or surprising. Even though the media seems to portray this as isolated - I know there are teens and people in college now that are much more racist and idiotic than ever before.
College kids don't think and do extremely stupid and bad things. Many kids in college are not the upstanding individuals we would want them to be (a la Jameis Winston...)

Here's an example of where one group failed to think about what they were doing:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/kkk-skit-wheaton-college-football-team-draws-outrage-article-1.2142942

Upvote 0