The Bible or a Friend?

LoveDivine

May 20, 2015
✟189,509.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think I answered what the OP wanted to know, most members didn't. And what are those who don't research doing? Can't do much with a plain Bible (unless You read Hebrew of course and it's the complete Hebrew Bible incl. Sirach):

Actually, I think Matt gave the most complete answer. The wording of the original question was a little vague. Most of us were unsure if the question was about the hard copy of the Bible or the message of the Bible and what it represented. Matt stated what his response would be in either scenario. He was simply saying that the average Bible costs about $ 20 and he clarified this point twice. He never said you do not need extra study guides or references. It is condescending to imply that you need a library worth thousands of dollars of additional texts and references to study the Bible. Sure, the more you research the more clearly you will understand. I agree with that. To state that you cannot do much with a plain Bible is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MiniEmu

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 19, 2015
UK
✟21,720.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
And what are those who don't research doing? Can't do much with a plain Bible (unless You read Hebrew of course and it's the complete Hebrew Bible incl. Sirach):

That's a different question to the OP and depends entirely on what an individual views as important.

A single theologian, amateur or otherwise, will need different texts to your average individual. Those who do not compile research libraries or have access to them make do with a single version of the Bible, and if they're lucky a group of fellow believers who will enthusiastically/willingly discuss the verses. Perhaps there'll even be one or two individuals who are of the mindset that you need access to more than that plain Bible, and they share their thoughts and experiences with these people to spread the knowledge.

A single version of the Bible is never going to provide the depth of knowledge others desire/need, but for others the importance isn't in the words of versions past and present, original texts or anything else. The importance is in their interpretation of the words presented before them, coupled with the teachings of their peers.

Really focusing on building knowledge and understanding of Biblical texts, not just your individual faith as it fits into Christianity as a whole but the actual texts, is a whole different level. It's a good level to be at if you're that way inclined, but the majority of believers are reliant on verbal interpretations made by others. For a long, long time the majority of people who believed could not understand any existing texts, they were reliant on other people spreading the Word of God via the spoken word. There are people who are still reliant on this, the physical Bible itself, in all its wondrous versions, being something for academics and serious scholars.

That's not necessarily how it should be, but we always have to factor in that now everyone is willing/capable of undertaking the sort of focused research even amateur theologians undertake.

Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Until recently an OK commentary from 2014 covering the entire Bible incl. the Deuterocanon (Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.)), cost $51 on pre-pub and spans over 1,750 pages. I tried to get the word out about it. At the moment it's not on a sale. EDIT June 23. 1:47 PM local time: OliveTree has Fotress Press Commentary on a sale until Monday next Week, it's not the same software as the better one though: https://www.olivetree.com/store/product.php?productid=26938
Until today June 1. You can get the Sheffield Bible Guides (44 vols.) for $109.99 - that's a lot more money and it's not nearly as recent and it's not a verse-by-verse commentary but more like introductions. However, the main problem is that these are in the wrong software - it does have lots of resources in the Store but that can be a temptation, and I recommend Accordance instead.
Of course, You can go wrong with these resources too, but they are probably better than most 19th century commentaries that many people use. I've heard arguments that resources to get started should be free - in that case all You can have if You need to cover most of or a large part of the Bible, are severely outdated and deficient commentaries and introductions. Even if You look for temporarily free books that is going to be true. At very few occasions great books on small parts of the Bible have been offered for free.
I know most people are definitely not ready to spend around a hundred dollars on a Bible plus a commentary or introductions - what price point is fair has been discussed at length at a Bible Study software forum. Also, some won't read from a computer monitor or tablet and I understand that. If You have a very small library (up to 50 books) on the computer and/or a tablet the main benefit is merely that You save on postage costs - and that may make much more of a difference outside the U.S., Canada and the U.K. And of course some simply won't afford just like You pointed out.
These are the couple of resources I was able to suggest - and the prices didn't last forever, as some of the least dangerous resources for preferably under a hundred dollars and they are not perfect solutions as the software, Store and marketing have many deficits: such as unclear how to install and update it, some of the versions are slow, aggressive marketing, and indirectly supporting things (other books) that are offered such as scholarship that has been proven wrong. But what I mean by this is that a purchase (if made at the right time) may still be a more secure way of getting interpretations and background knowledge than trusting a small group Bible study each time. I'm not saying that small groups are always wrong, not at all, for example I had a good experience in May last year - there was someone (who at the time for a very short time was a friend) who read the original language and I showed her Amos from the Hebrew Bible, a long time after that while researching I found something really exciting in the passage which I would have overlooked if it weren't thanks to her.
Thanks for responding!:
A single version of the Bible is never going to provide the depth of knowledge others desire/need, but for others the importance isn't in the words of versions past and present, original texts or anything else. The importance is in their interpretation of the words presented before them, coupled with the teachings of their peers.

Really focusing on building knowledge and understanding of Biblical texts, not just your individual faith as it fits into Christianity as a whole but the actual texts, is a whole different level. It's a good level to be at if you're that way inclined, but the majority of believers are reliant on verbal interpretations made by others. For a long, long time the majority of people who believed could not understand any existing texts, they were reliant on other people spreading the Word of God via the spoken word. There are people who are still reliant on this, the physical Bible itself, in all its wondrous versions, being something for academics and serious scholars.

That's not necessarily how it should be, but we always have to factor in that now everyone is willing/capable of undertaking the sort of focused research even amateur theologians undertake.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Unix

Hebr incl Sirach&epigraph, Hermeneut,Ptolemy,Samar
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
ECC,Torah:ModeCommenta,OTL,AY BC&RL,Seow a ICC Job
Visit site
✟139,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Right now those who subscribe to Verbum Now ($8.99 a Month but first Month always free) get the 2014 Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.) for free for the duration of the Month of July 2015, see: http://scripturestudysoftware.com/2015/07/01/whats-new-in-verbum-now-6-4/ OK, so this commentary is not currently discounted if You want to buy it, but those who haven't made a switch to a very recent commentary and just want to know if there's anything worthwhile in it may try it out during July 2015 and then consider perhaps buying it either at full price or to wait whether it gets discounted some time again. So one thing that's special about this commentary is that it includes the Apocrypha. So don't take my word for it, just try it out, but yes there are disadvantages with the software: when a new OS is about to come out You can probably not install it on the beta of the OS especially Mac OS X; the marketing is very aggressive and plays on "fear of missing out"-feelings; the software hogs resources from the computer when it's running (and when using Windows Update) - the minimum I would say is enough RAM but the software benefits from all fast hardware components (although AMD triple-core CPU is enough, quad-core only makes "indexing" faster which is a process You only need to go through when You've bought something and You won't benefit at all from more cores than four); the most advanced features are command-line based but yes it has a graphical user interface; they have a lot of added bulk You won't benefit from in their base-packages and some of their other bundles and they like bundling; and if Your bank requires You to give Your CVV code from the back of Your card when purchasing in other currencies than Your own currency You will need to call Sales in order for them to place Credit as a Gift Certicate on Your own account and Accounting takes the CVV-code - then You can shop books/software in the webstore, by email or phone:
Until recently an OK commentary from 2014 covering the entire Bible incl. the Deuterocanon (Fortress Commentary on the Bible (2 vols.)), cost $51 on pre-pub and spans over 1,750 pages. I tried to get the word out about it.

Yes, I'm still looking for a friend who will research together with me. If such a person is a local and can't afford enough books there is a solution: I can lend a computer with books on it for some time if it's handled carefully.

Reactions: MiniEmu
Upvote 0