auckland
✟15,402.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I really love the idea that I keep hearing from Orthodox folks that marriage and monasticism are both kinds of asceticism (or something like that).

The first things that come to mind that are wholly beneficial -- affecting not just the spiritual life, but the intellectual, emotional, physical AND spiritual -- to those of us who are married (I joined the club 3 weeks ago on July 10!) are all based on the suffering aspects of marriage, the death to self parts. The crown of martyrdom, we wear them for each other in some respects. The first "sufferance" that is to be borne is the decision to stay with that, and only that, person; meaning at no time will you stray. I can think of tons of reasons why this is beneficial to the spirit and the mind (and therefore the other parts of our being, since they are all dependant). It is all rooted in self-awareness and self-control. If the going is tough, you have to search for positives in the other person and the situation. Hoping for the future and waiting for a change of heart and a change of situation means being actively patient. Examining the motive to stray means asking yourself what is lacking? And since the decision to stay with that person has already been made, the desire to leave them (other than an abusive situation) is a lack within one's own self, which will likely only grow if you stay in the uncomfortable position of feeling that lack (in virtue I suppose).

I can think of a lot of other reasons how bearing the conflicts and, as I said, sufferings that come out of being united and on an intimate team with someone else will benefit the virtues and control and mindfulness of a person... but what about the purely positive results of being married on a person's being? What are they? And how does marriage help the other parts of our beings, such as the physical body, the emotional mind, the intellect?

Knee V

It's phonetic.
Sep 17, 2003
South Bend, IN
✟100,823.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Congratulations! I became a catechumen on July 10 of 2005. That's a good day to take care of business!

Have you ever read "Marriage: The Great Sacrament", by Elder Aimilianos? If not, I strongly suggest giving that a read. You can read it online for free. It's probably 8 or so pages. My priest used that for our premarital counseling sessions.

Upvote 0

snowbirdling

someone
Feb 12, 2010
auckland
✟15,402.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Congratulations! I became a catechumen on July 10 of 2005. That's a good day to take care of business!

Have you ever read "Marriage: The Great Sacrament", by Elder Aimilianos? If not, I strongly suggest giving that a read. You can read it online for free. It's probably 8 or so pages. My priest used that for our premarital counseling sessions.

It sure is a good day :)

Thanks for the recommendation!

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I watched a great video several months ago on marriage being a path to salvation. It was really good. I gave it to my priest and presbytera to watch. I don't know if they still have it, but I would want to keep that video. lol It's one of those that a local parishioner recorded at their parish, so there isn't any other copies.

I wish I could remember, but it's been a while, all of the things said on it. It was wonderful.

Upvote 0

snowbirdling

someone
Feb 12, 2010
auckland
✟15,402.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I watched a great video several months ago on marriage being a path to salvation. It was really good. I gave it to my priest and presbytera to watch. I don't know if they still have it, but I would want to keep that video. lol It's one of those that a local parishioner recorded at their parish, so there isn't any other copies.

I wish I could remember, but it's been a while, all of the things said on it. It was wonderful.

I wonder if they made a youtube video? That sounds like such an interesting concept. Youtube is such a fantastic way to spread these ideas and share with one another!

Upvote 0

Zongerfield

Jan 24, 2011
✟8,125.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I long to get married. I just need to find a willing dame who is interested in me. I'm a very attractive man (I think), but I don't make a lot of money (less than 100,000/yr) and I live in a predominately non-Christian area (although, there is a small christian Church that I regularly attend).

Upvote 0

Dorothea

One of God's handmaidens
Jul 10, 2007
Colorado Springs, Colorado
✟240,539.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if they made a youtube video? That sounds like such an interesting concept. Youtube is such a fantastic way to spread these ideas and share with one another!

I don't believe it is. :( I remember looking all over the place back when I watched it so that my friend could see it. No such luck. :(

Upvote 0