North Lauderdale, FL
✟129,564.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had never tried asparagus until I went to Canadian army basic army officer training in Chilliwack BC. I swear they must have had an asparagus farm behind the kitchen we had it so much. I grew to like it a lot, including the joys of hollandaise sauce.
These days my daughter will roast it in the oven and the way she seasons it is spectacular. I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,703.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Highly overrated and much too expensive. People in germany only eat lots of asparagus because of intensive marketing, just like with children drinking milk.
At least you're consistent, but honestly this is the only thing wrong with you.

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Highly overrated and much too expensive. People in germany only eat lots of asparagus because of intensive marketing, just like with children drinking milk.

How expensive is asparagus in Germany? And I didn't realize that there was intensive marketing for asparagus.

I rarely eat asparagus, but mom's throwing a Coronation Party tomorrow and I remembered asparagus is a royal vegetable lol. The Royals like asparagus, apparently. So I bought it to add to the salmon and cake and twice baked potato and I forget what else mom is making. I just picked up canned asparagus spears at our local Dollar Tree. Fresh would be better, but. . .I didn't feel like going into the big supermarket.

Upvote 0

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
a bit expensive, yes
but not over-rated
and no "intensive marketing".

It is just that people like Spargel aka Asparagus - honestly.

Do you want to dictate them what they should like?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Red Gold

Dec 28, 2019
Baden-Baden in the Black Forest, Germany
✟95,533.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
King Louis XIV of France supervised the construction of private greenhouses to cultivate a ready supply of asparagus year-round. Because so many "royals" loved it, asparagus was known as "the food of kings."

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟869,190.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A fascinating scientific fact about asparagus: I hated the taste as a child, but I still hate the taste as an adult. I'm very open-minded; I tried everything. I even tried dipping it in chocolate sauce. It still sucked.

I'm going to start a thread celebrating meat. Meat is so much better.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
How expensive is asparagus in Germany?
About 18 Euros per Kilo if you get good quality asparagus from a local vendor stall. A kilogramm is supposed to feed two people.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Do you want to dictate them what they should like?
If I had that kind of power, I wouldn't use it to stop people from eating asparagus.

At least not as a first order of business.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,164,865.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if I have. As someone with no sense of smell.. most vegetables taste the same to me. If it has a good texture I might try some. I do love broccoli for this reason.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
About 18 Euros per Kilo if you get good quality asparagus from a local vendor stall. A kilogramm is supposed to feed two people.
:o If fresh asparagus was that expensive in USA I would never buy it. I certainly don't like it that much lol. I think it's about $4/lb at my local supermarket.

My sister dislikes asparagus; my dad likes it, and last I knew I liked it. I guess I'll find out if my taste buds have changed. lol

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
@Red Gold

That article was interesting. I loved this little part:

Asparagus and its preparation were so familiar that Caesar Augustus described the meaning of "haste" to his underlings as being "faster than you can cook asparagus . . . " -- which should be a hint to cooks who steam the life out of the vegetable. Asparagus should be bright green when finished -- NOT brown.

Lol. My sister is one of those who steams the life out of her vegetables.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟493,933.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
:eek: If fresh asparagus was that expensive in USA I would never buy it. I certainly don't like it that much lol. I think it's about $4/lb at my local supermarket.

My sister dislikes asparagus; my dad likes it, and last I knew I liked it. I guess I'll find out if my taste buds have changed. lol
Is your asparagus white or green?

Upvote 0