Ten Commandments | Thou Shalt Not Kill | Meditations On The Love Of Jesus Christ

WordAloud

Nov 14, 2012
✟17,689.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi

I was trying to write pieces that are short and not really long essays.

I thought to go through the commandments.

Basically, I wanted a brief reflection, and then a very simple prayer to bring the thoughts together.

I wanted to share this one with you particularly because the commandment 'Thou shalt not kill' seems so broad-ranging, and so entangled with so much in my everyday experience.

I know that I am guilty of negative thoughts.

I know that as things are difficult for people, it can be altogether too easy to lose sight of this commandment.

These are the thoughts I came up with.

(I post all this on my site too and here is a link to this: Ten Commandments | Meditations On The Love Of Jesus Christ | Thou Shalt Not Kill

This is the basic copy, and as I said trying to pull the words down to a minimum.

I was looking for prayers I could remember and carry around with me.

I hope you like what is written here.

Thank you.

As follows:

Thou shalt not kill

The commandment is a directive from God to preserve the sanctity of human life. It prohibits the unjust taking of another person’s life and emphasizes the inherent value and dignity of every individual. The commandment encompasses both physical acts of violence leading to death, such as murder, as well as attitudes and actions that diminish the worth and well-being of others. It calls for respect, compassion, and the promotion of life in all its forms.

God, as the Creator of life, entrusts us with the responsibility to protect and cherish the lives of others, valuing the image of God in each person. The commandment is a call to promote peace, reconciliation, and the flourishing of all individuals and communities.

Ten Commandments In The Light Of Jesus Christ | Meditations On The Love Of Jesus Christ

Jesus affirmed the commandment against killing and expanded its meaning to include not only the physical act but also the intentions and attitudes of the heart. Jesus taught that harbouring anger, hatred, or holding grudges against others is akin to committing murder in one’s heart (Matthew 5:21-22).

Jesus taught his disciples to love their enemies, bless those who curse them, and pray for those who persecute them (Matthew 5:44). Jesus demonstrated a radical ethic of non-violence, even in the face of unjust treatment and violence towards himself.

Jesus’ sacrificial death on the Cross for the forgiveness of sins reveals the depth of love and his desire to redeem and restore humanity. Jesus invites us to follow his example by showing mercy, forgiveness, and promoting reconciliation in our relationships.

In the light of Jesus, we are called to value the sanctity of all human life and actively to promote peace, justice and compassion in our interactions with others. We are to seek reconciliation and work towards healing broken relationships, following the path of love and forgiveness that Jesus exemplified.

‘But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.’ (Matthew 5:22, KJV)

A choice of prayers:

1. Jesus, when I feel anger rising within me, remind me of your commandment to not kill. Help me to respond with love, grace, and self-control. May my words and actions promote harmony and peace. Amen.
  2. Jesus, guard my heart against thoughts of revenge or harm towards others. Fill me with your love that seeks reconciliation and forgiveness. Help me to be a peacemaker in my family, community, and beyond. Amen.
  3. Jesus, I pray for those who have experienced the pain of losing a loved one to violence. Comfort them in their grief and bring healing to their hearts. Give them strength to forgive and find peace in your embrace. Amen.
  4. Jesus, help us build a culture that values and protects all forms of life. Guide our leaders to make decisions that promote peace, justice, and the well-being of every person. May we be agents of positive change in our communities? Amen.
  5. Jesus, grant me the courage to stand against any form of violence or harm. Help me to be an advocate for those who are oppressed, marginalized, or treated unjustly. Empower me to speak up for what is right and work towards a more compassionate world. Amen.