Teaching yourself an instrument

Becca91

Jul 3, 2009
✟7,694.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm currently teaching myself guitar, and I seem to be struggling quite a bit, as when I do something wrong I sometimes don't know why or how to correct it, and just generally.

Has anyone else taught themself an instrument and how did they cope with it? I'm unable to have lessons. I'd really like to be able to do it as I would love to be able to play, and be able to express myself through music, even if it takes a while ^^

shawn222

Jul 12, 2009
detroit
✟7,648.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
If you really want to learn an instrument, stick with it and don't get discouraged by "not getting it".

There are many resources on the internet for learning music. Many for free.

What instrument are you trying to learn? Most schools do have a music program, you may want to see if you can join.

Upvote 0

BroBarry

Help Me To See Clearly O Lord
Jun 10, 2006
Southern U.S.
✟15,418.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Heeya Becca,

I've been playing guitar for nine years now. I taught myself, and now I give lessons. There's all kinds of ways to learn on your own. The big thing that I found out in my own experience is to learn chords, before you learn anything else. A lot of people like to start out with those Mel Bay books, where you learn one note at a time. While that's cool if you want to play classical guitar, or read music properly, it's not very practical for those of us that just want to jam! Get yourself a chord book or just look online, and learn your chords. Start by learning your major, minor, and seventh chords first. As you learn these three types, you'll start to see the similarities between them. You'll also be able to play all kinds of songs.

Youtube is also a great tool. There are sooo many different guitar lessons on there, not to mention that there are detailed videos that show how to play almost any song you would want to learn.

The most important thing though is that you just stick with it. Chords are frustrating! At first they don't sound right, your fingers hurt, and you just feel like your not going to remember the finger positions or be able to switch to these certain fingerings fast enough. Just keep practicing. Everyone goes through that! The more you play the better you will get! Anyone can play guitar, seriously, I'm a living example. It's just the ones that don't give up that get good at it!

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions about chords or anything else. I'm always happy to help anyone with guitar questions!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NiobiumTragedy

Glorious Tragedy
Jun 15, 2009
USA
✟17,652.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I've trained myself on all the instruments I play. It's a lot of trial and error, and if you are working on something and get stuck, ask someone who plays as well. There are also many many resources for every instrument on youtube that you can look up.

Upvote 0

floridasun

Sep 26, 2006
Florida
✟8,262.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi Becca....I taught myself to play accoustic guitar....it was hard to play because I did not have anyone to give me feedback.....A chord book always helps out, but if at all possible, it's always great to find another good guitar player to help you and give you feedback....ask your friends to see if they know anyone who plays guitar and can give you feedback.... if I could help you in any way in your guitar quest, just pm me :):)

Upvote 0

SwiftShadowFox00

swift shadow fox
Jul 23, 2009
Pasadena - California
✟15,144.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
i agree with FLORIDASUN, if you have a chord book your life will pass sooo much easier. just remember that the way all chords will work is if you are comfortable with it. many people have different ways of doings things and so maybe you just have to find substitute chords to maybe evn replace some harder ones. but the main thing is to just keep going on and really try not to get discouraged

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Klesk

Aug 4, 2009
NC
✟15,223.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I taught myself how to play several instruments just off of sites and videos I've found on the internet. There is an unlimited amount of information right at your fingertips (you could even try a site like Ultimate Guitar. There are plenty of fantastic beginner guides written on that sight). Good luck!

Upvote 0

56Bluesman

Jul 10, 2008
I live in beautiful Omaha Nebraska
✟8,252.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I taught myself both guitar and bass, and at age 53 I'm still trying to learn new things, even as a gigging musician. You've gotten some good advice and tips so far. so here is my two cents worth.

1. Keep at it, and don't give up, even if it's hard and frustrating at times.
I know I used to nearly pop a vein in my forehead over trying to learn things such as bar chords, etc, when I was young. Sometimes I wondered if I'd ever be able to play anything remotely musical at all! You will get there eventually.

2. Related to above. Learn at your own pace, and have mercy on yourself by not trying to compare yourself to others. Other folks can inspire you, and others may display more raw talent and even learn things quicker than you, as in the case if you have friends also trying to learn guitar. Remember that everyone, through work and effort, gets to where they want to be with music be it for fun or pursuing more serious goals. It's about finding your own place and heart with music.

3. You have a universe of learning material available that my generation could only dream of! You might even be able to find materials such as computer based software courses for learning guitar at your local library, as well as books, etc. You need to find the materials that break down what you need to learn in a way you can understand. Take advantage of anything you can, including the wonderful internet.

4. Repeat steps 1-3. Don't lose heart, and keep at it. It's hard work but the rewards are incredibly wonderful.

Upvote 0

88Devin07

Orthodox Catholic Church
Feb 2, 2005
✟17,447.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think it's much easier to learn an instrument for free these days... I started learning guitar this Summer and so far can play several riffs well.

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. has a lot of lesson videos, if you like various songs, people have uploaded explanations on how to play songs on there.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OneOfTheMany

Jan 21, 2007
✟8,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The process of learning music starts with learning more about yourself as a person and learning how to quiet your mind.

Sound is special because everyone responds to it in a different way. To be a really great player you need to get into a zen-state and figure out how the harmonies resonate with you as a person. Then you can start to develop your own concepts of phrasing, intonation, and style.

Upvote 0