Teacher rips Muslim students for skipping out on Gay Pride activities

Trogdor the Burninator

Senior Veteran
Oct 19, 2004
✟231,258.00
Faith
Christian
A female teacher in Alberta, Canada recently was recorded blasting Muslim students in her class for skipping school during Pride-themed events — telling them that if they continued, they “can’t be Canadian” and “don’t belong” in the country.

The unnamed teacher from Londonderry School attempted to guilt-trip the students by noting their classmates showed up for them during Ramadan: “They’re showing respect to the class — for your religion.”

“That’s not what Canada believes,” she said. “We believe in freedom. We believe that people can marry whomever they want. That is in the law — and if you don’t think that should be the law, then you can’t be Canadian.”

“You don’t belong here and I mean it! I really mean it.” the teacher concluded.

Heard online but not being widely reported, so apologies for the College Fix link :p

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with some of what she said. But I don't believe a student should be forced to go to a gay pride event. If that was the case. I couldn't hear the beginning. And will try to hear it again. I prefer little talk about LGBT to be taught. I think students should be taught to be respectful to LGBT and everyone. That some people are transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual. I think the world on both sides are going crazy over LGBT issues.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The teacher's particular statement:

“That’s not what Canada believes,” she said. “We believe in freedom. We believe that people can marry whomever they want. That is in the law — and if you don’t think that should be the law, then you can’t be Canadian.”

...is what I would classify as "woke". People always like to ask "Can you define the term woke?" To which I've gone with the definition of "weaponized political correctness"

I think a statement like this exemplifies that. The teacher is basically laying out a precedent of their being consequences for "not thinking the right way".

There's a difference between recognizing something as law or someone having individual support for something vs. suggesting that everyone else has to claim to agree with it and celebrate it.

I highly doubt that this teacher (given the statements they made) would like very much it if someone were to point out a law they personally disagreed with, and told them 'no! you have to agree with it, and if you don't, that means you're not a real Canadian!'

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Muslim students shouldn't be treated differently than Christian or non-religious students.
Neither should they have to go to gay pride events at schools, if they don't want to. Just like Atheist should have to pray or anything religious things. But they should be respectful walking by such events.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Neither should they have to go to gay pride events at schools, if they don't want to. Just like Atheist should have to pray or anything religious things. But they should be respectful walking by such events.

Is there a precedent to suggest that someone should have to be "respectful" when walking by certain events? ...and is that ask for respectfulness when walking by events one disagrees with bidirectional?

If the KKK was holding an event in your neighborhood, and you called them every name in the book (and used whatever expletives you saw fit), I certainly wouldn't say you were out of line.

I mean, It'd be nice if everyone was respectful of viewpoints that contradicted their own (as it's more constructive than name calling), but over the past 5 years, I think that ship has sailed.

And in the context of this particular school/teacher in question, if the teacher is allowed to say "if you don't agree with me, you don't deserve to be considered a real Canadian", then the students who disagree with the teacher have no obligation to be respectful.

If the onus on is only one side to "change your position to agree with us, or at the very least, give lip service to our position or keep your mouth shut", then that's not a fair deal.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Muslim students shouldn't be treated differently than Christian or non-religious students.
I would agree, but for those who are beholden to the intersectionality hierarchy chart, this situation creates a "sticky wicket" so to speak.

Far-right people don't like gays
Muslim fundamentalists don't like gays
Far-right people don't like Muslims
Far-left people people will defend the LGBT+ side no matter the situation
Far-left people feel compelled to defend any group that the far-right doesn't like

It's an ideological mess from some vantage points...

Upvote 0

MotoToTheMax

Nov 3, 2022
United States
✟66,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I am fine for this teacher saying that as a private citizen. I am fine for this teacher saying that as a private school teacher.
I am not fine with this teacher saying that in their official capacity as a public school teacher during school hours/classes. Not cool. Some type of reprimand would be nice to see, even up to firing.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,208,021.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am fine for this teacher saying that as a private citizen. I am fine for this teacher saying that as a private school teacher.
I am not fine with this teacher saying that in their official capacity as a public school teacher during school hours/classes. Not cool. Some type of reprimand would be nice to see, even up to firing.

I have a different take, I don't think the teacher should be fired...let them say what they want, and let the students say what they want.

This idea that "any controversial speech has to be shut down to protect peoples' feelings" is going to be the end of democracies/republics.

The rules just need to be consistent.

As soon as the position it taken that "it's okay to hurt the feelings of religious fundamentalists, but not the LGBT community" (or vice versa), that's when it's a problem.

Either everyone has to "be nice" or nobody has to "be nice", and it needs to be consistent.

I would vote for the latter as it's at least more honest. I'd rather have someone honestly tell me the problems they have with me and engage in a conversation vs. them holding their true opinions back and giving me fake "niceness" in the name of being "politically correct".

Society has a lot to learn from Daryl Davis

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MotoToTheMax

Nov 3, 2022
United States
✟66,268.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
I have a different take, I don't think the teacher should be fired...let them say what they want, and let the students say what they want.

This idea that "any controversial speech has to be shut down to protect peoples' feelings" is going to be the end of democracies/republics.

The rules just need to be consistent.

As soon as the position it taken that "it's okay to hurt the feelings of religious fundamentalists, but not the LGBT community" (or vice versa), that's when it's a problem.

Either everyone has to "be nice" or nobody has to "be nice", and it needs to be consistent.

I would vote for the latter as it's at least more honest. I'd rather have someone honestly tell me the problems they have with me and engage in a conversation vs. them holding their true opinions back and giving me fake "niceness" in the name of being "politically correct".

Society has a lot to learn from Daryl Davis
Good luck enforcing that on public school grounds. Leave that concept to the other public square venues.

Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟101,040.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
How about schools don't participate nor promote it at all and stick to educating children in subjects that are actually useful for their future? Novel idea isn't it? Western education has fallen to be honest. More priority is being put into LGBT & woke agendas than core skills.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Exactly. Which is why they shouldn't be forced to participate in LGBT events if they choose not to.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟243,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
How about schools don't participate nor promote it at all and stick to educating children in subjects that are actually useful for their future? Novel idea isn't it? Western education has fallen to be honest. More priority is being put into LGBT & woke agendas than core skills.
The LGBT garbage doesn't need to be taught in schools. period.

Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

IceJad

May 23, 2005
✟101,040.00
Country
Malaysia
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
The LGBT garbage doesn't need to be taught in schools. period.

I believe there should be more nuance to this subject. I for one think LGBT should to thought in schools to students of 15 years old and above. However it should be thought in social studies and strictly factual. LGBT agendas however should be banned in totality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,969.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I believe there should be more nuance to this subject. I for one think LGBT should to thought in schools to students of 15 years old and above. However it should be thought in social studies and strictly factual. LGBT agendas however should be banned in totality.
The problem is what do you teach? That's really the crux of the matter. We've already seen that the education system can't control themselves. Just like this teacher. And the teacher that was teaching kids the joys of anal sex.

LGBT education could be a 10 minute education. Gays are this, trans people are this, queers are this. Etc. The end. There doesn't have to be any indepth discussions any further than that. No discussions on you might be gay or trans or queer or anything of the nature.

Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟332,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Is there a precedent to suggest that someone should have to be "respectful" when walking by certain events? ...and is that ask for respectfulness when walking by events one disagrees with bidirectional?

If the KKK was holding an event in your neighborhood, and you called them every name in the book (and used whatever expletives you saw fit), I certainly wouldn't say you were out of line.
That just gives them more attention. It's best to ignore it. Conservative, liberals and craziness are just adding fuel to the fire.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,711.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
The teacher said, “We believe in freedom. We believe that people can marry whomever they want."
Yet apparently she doesn't think such freedom also permits people to refrain from attending events
they're not interested in. Seems self-contradictory.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
CA
✟573,554.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The teacher said that all the kids had to learn about Ramadan earlier in the year, and so, she thought it was fair that if the kids had to participate in that, that the kids should all equally need to participate in this lesson as well...

...If the lesson was only about the *rights* of gays and such, as a lesson about Canadian History, then I agree with the teacher.

...If it was about "celebrating" something, then I disagree with the teacher.

Upvote 0