✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
BOJAX said:
Lol, I thought it came from the way the southerners pronounced *****. 'negra' or something like that.:D

Learn something new everyday.

It is entirely possible that the southern accent contributed in some way. Language is a very difficult thing to trace with absolute certainty.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
NothingButTheBlood said:
Is it really any different than geeks embrasing geek or rednecks, redneck or hillbillys, hillibilly. I personally think of it as a swear word and don't like to hear it but shouldn't people get to say what they want?

The history behind the word carries considerably more weight than say does geek or redneck. Obviously, the latter two never had to worry about racism.

However, I agree people should be able to say it...and I wish there wasn't so much PC repression around it because I'd like to be able to identify racists as fast as possible.;)

Upvote 0

NothingButTheBlood

Feb 27, 2005
✟4,508.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Neverstop said:
The history behind the word carries considerably more weight than say does geek or redneck. Obviously, the latter two never had to worry about racism.

However, I agree people should be able to say it...and I wish there wasn't so much PC repression around it because I'd like to be able to identify racists as fast as possible.;)

Well redneck didn't always mean what it means now per se. I don't want to derail the thread or anything though.

Upvote 0

BOJAX

Vaccinated with a phonograph needle.
May 12, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
✟2,542.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Greens
mhatten said:
Do explain to me what is funny about the origins of the word? :scratch:

The origins of the word is funny.

The origins of how the word became a contemptuous term surely aren't.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
NothingButTheBlood said:
Well redneck didn't always mean what it means now per se. I don't want to derail the thread or anything though.

Let's start one. As one who lives in East Texas, I find much entertainment in mullets, Skoal, and Hank Williams Jr.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Neverstop said:
IOW, I think it is wrong for people to be forced to adopt a Eurocentric tone of language and dress in order to be successful.

If one were interviewing someone for a key executive position and it came down to two people, should their use of heavy slang make or break them?

If you want to be successful in certain areas, then it is necessary to speak in a way in which others understand you.

When I was a freshman in college taking Speech 101, there was a young white male that had such a heavy heavy Southern accent that you could barely make out a word he was saying. Poor guy... this was an accent he was dealing with...not a choice of using slang. Later I became friends with the T.A. and we discussed this great guy. He told me that although this young man was very intelligent and made good speeches, his accent could hold him back. I remember every time he spoke, the class would become dead quiet and everyone just sat in awe listening to him.

He spoke very good English. It was just his accent that was so heavy... There is a difference in having an accent vs. slang'... I have a very bad habit of saying "yall" and "ain't"...but even on CF I find myself typing the words and then erasing them as to not come off as some hick. I also know that these words are incorrect.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Ginny said:
If one were interviewing someone for a key executive position and it came down to two people, should their use of heavy slang make or break them?

If you want to be successful in certain areas, then it is necessary to speak in a way in which others understand you.

When I was a freshman in college taking Speech 101, there was a young white male that had such a heavy heavy Southern accent that you could barely make out a word he was saying. Poor guy... this was an accent he was dealing with...not a choice of using slang. Later I became friends with the T.A. and we discussed this great guy. He told me that although this young man was very intelligent and made good speeches, his accent could hold him back. I remember every time he spoke, the class would become dead quiet and everyone just sat in awe listening to him.

He spoke very good English. It was just his accent that was so heavy... There is a difference in having an accent vs. slang'... I have a very bad habit of saying "yall" and "ain't"...but even on CF I find myself typing the words and then erasing them as to not come off as some hick. I also know that these words are incorrect.

I agree.

I fight with my kids about ain't, "but it is in the dictionary Mom." Well too bad don't say it.

The other fight is me and my friends, and I interupt with my friends and I. They say why, why does it have to be that way? My answer because it is and if I never correct you, you will walk into interviews using that terminology.

I want them to understand there is a time and place for everything, rightly or wrongly especially for Black kids.

Reactions: Ginny
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ginny said:

It would depend on the company. However, if it were one of those stuffy good ole boy type places then obviously, the one using the slang would be the one slanging on to another interview.

Upvote 0

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Since when is a company considered a "stuffy good ol' boy" company just b/c they want people to communicate civilized, regardless of race?...

Slang can be considered a foreign language if you ain't down wit it, pardner....so suggesting that everyone speak mainstream English is not ludicrous.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Ginny said:
Since when is a company considered a "stuffy good ol' boy" company just b/c they want people to communicate civilized, regardless of race?...

Good ole' boy companies are usually pretty easy to spot, and it's funny how only certain language forms are considered to be "civilized."

Slang can be considered a foreign language if you ain't down wit it, pardner....so suggesting that everyone speak mainstream English is not ludicrous.

True, it is not ludicrous, just extremely repressive and arrogant. Believe it or not, many who believe they speak mainstream English are really speaking slang...just ask some people who graduated from Oxford.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums